Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-25-2015, 06:00 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Duck Dynasty is not remotely a "look at the freaks" show. It's not my cuppa tea, but it presents itself as a family values show. It has storylines and themes and even a narrator telling a story, one that is supposed to represent the real life of these entrepreneurs.
Duck Dynasty is a "lookit them freaks" show coming the other way - "lookit how goshdarn American these people are ! You'll never be as authentic an American as they are. These people eat spangled stars and shit rugged, individualist bald eagles ramping Harley bikes on the torch of Lady Liberty while John Wayne plays the Battle Hymn of the Republic with an M-14 rifle".

But it's still corny as all hell, not to mention a hot spot of high grade, concentrated hickery. They're walking, talking caricatures of a stereotype that never even existed. And I have no notion how people can take any of it seriously.
  #52  
Old 05-25-2015, 06:14 AM
boytyperanma is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 5,401
Nothing changes. Way to not respond to the criticism laid out before you.

I wonder if your just some type of right wing bot 5hat just responds to key words.
  #53  
Old 05-25-2015, 07:23 AM
Ethilrist is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 26,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57
Dragging this incident up now is simply a way to destroy and permanently discredit him and the entire Duggar family because of their religious beliefs and political activism.
No, it's a way to discredit him for the crimes he has committed. Since, as you say, we can't hold him legally accountable, then let's drag his good family name through the cesspool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57
If evidence of any adult crime emerges than he should be imprisoned for a long time.
Well, hold on, there, pardner. If we can't hold him accountable now for those crimes, why should we hold him accountable for them five years from now? Also, see below re: vengeance-based, harsh sentences, which you seem to be advocating here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57
If he's really a pedo or sexual predator there will be a long list of victims throughout the past 12 years.
THAT'S EVEN WORSE, YOU RETARD. The only way we will find out if there is that long list is if there is a trial and people come forward to testify against him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57
I suggest reading some books on criminal rehabilitation. Society made the decision to shift away from vengeance based prison sentencing to a focus on rehabilitation and forgiveness.
You can't have criminal rehabilitation if he's not a criminal, and he's not a criminal until he's convicted of his fucking crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57
It's known that vengeance based, harsh prison sentences don't prevent recidivism. A new approach had to be found.
Either it'll be okay to be all vengeance-like on him a few years down the road, or it won't be. Fucking pick one.
  #54  
Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 AM
Ethilrist is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 26,950
Oh, and, you should write to Tsarnaev about how we've switched away from vengeance-based sentences. I'm sure he'll find that very reassuring while he waits for the state to scrape up enough money to buy poison sufficient to kill his sorry ass.
  #55  
Old 05-25-2015, 08:20 AM
joyfool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Texas
Posts: 9,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by boytyperanma View Post
Nothing changes. Way to not respond to the criticism laid out before you.



I wonder if your just some type of right wing bot 5hat just responds to key words.

Yeah. He's as much a master of weasel words as Josh Duggar. And it's not about his idiotic unpopular opinions, be those as bad as they are. It's about repeated willful ignorance, never bothering to learn even the barest modicum of facts and spewing bullshit that bears no resemblance at all to reality. Every time. I agree with whoever said that he's truly one of the biggest morons on the board.
  #56  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Wasn't this the guy who thought that MLK did things the right way by getting permits for his marches, so the cops couldn't bother him? I remember telling some guy that MLK was actually arrested like 50 times and they seemed actually surprised.
To be fair, I know a lot about King--I've read his entire "Letter from a Birmingham Permit Office"--and didn't know that.

The idea of sealing juvenile records is not a terrible thing. but there's some things to think about with that:

1) Someone that did this as a kid, if they've not already been prosecuted, probably should not be prosecuted. That does NOT mean that they should be held up as a paragon of sexual virtue.
2) The case appears never to have been investigated; the girls never appear to have received appropriate counseling. IF this is true (and no, Bricker, I don't have absolute evidence it's true), then airing the case publicly might provide them with a chance to hear people saying: no, it wasn't your fault. No, it wasn't okay. Yes, you are allowed to be furious with your brother.
3) While JOsh's actions were horrifying, there is the meager excuse of his being a juvenile, for whatever that's worth. HIS PARENTS HAVE NO SUCH EXCUSE. A lot of this story is focusing on the completely terrible way his parents handled the case. And it's a too too common approach: when sexual abuse happens in a family, parents will punt by blaming the victim, by downplaying the seriousness, by sweeping things under the rug. This public conversation is helpful in part because it may dissuade other parents from taking this approach--but only if people don't wring their hands in sympathy for the goddamned parents.
  #57  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 AM
monstro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 20,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
This public conversation is helpful in part because it may dissuade other parents from taking this approach--but only if people don't wring their hands in sympathy for the goddamned parents.
Hell yes!

I think it will also enlightened a lot of clueless people out there who don't see the big deal, because 1) either they were groped by an older sibling and turned out okay or 2) they were the one doing the groping and they aren't Satan incarnate. Perhaps hearing the public's reactions to this story will make these people realize that abuse is abuse, it's not normal, and it's not okay.

I also hope it makes people more skeptical about the role models they choose to put up on pedestals. Everyone needs to stop getting their "family values" from people on TV.
  #58  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:44 AM
joyfool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Texas
Posts: 9,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Hell yes!



I think it will also enlightened a lot of clueless people out there who don't see the big deal, because 1) either they were groped by an older sibling and turned out okay or 2) they were the one doing the groping and they aren't Satan incarnate. Perhaps hearing the public's reactions to this story will make these people realize that abuse is abuse, it's not normal, and it's not okay.


I also hope it makes people more skeptical about the role models they choose to put up on pedestals. Everyone needs to stop getting their "family values" from people on TV.

[Bolding mine.]

Or it makes them more vigorously defend that prick's deplorable actions. You know, "I did it and I wanna be given a pass too."
  #59  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 26,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
To be fair, I know a lot about King--I've read his entire "Letter from a Birmingham Permit Office"--and didn't know that.
Very well done.

I found ace's version of how the civil rights protests went down. What's really interesting is that he contrasted the orderliness and peacefulness of the protests in Selma and Montgomery with the out-of-control and reckless behavior by five players on the St Louis Rams who walked into the football field with their hands up, shortly after the unrest began in Ferguson last year.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...0&postcount=61
  #60  
Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM
aceplace57 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 26,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by boytyperanma View Post
Nothing changes. Way to not respond to the criticism laid out before you.

I wonder if your just some type of right wing bot 5hat just responds to key words.
My position is not difficult to understand. I've made it clear that Duggar's actions were wrong. Thankfully it didn't go beyond groping and fondling. That's still disgusting and traumatic for the victims.

I believe strongly in second chances for children. I can't agree with destroying somebody's reputation for something they did many years ago in childhood. This isn't a new scandal for the family. It's something they all went through and dealt with long ago. It was reported to a state police officer and much later there was a formal police investigation in 2006. It's a private family matter that is now being exploited because people disagree with the Duggar's political activism.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-25-2015 at 12:45 PM.
  #61  
Old 05-25-2015, 12:54 PM
LavenderBlue is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,635
NOTHING is private with the Duggars. Nothing. Why the hell should this be?

Dear god I spent years hearing about every stupid detail of Michelle Duggar's menstrual cycle and childbearing choices. The stupid bitch decides to go for child number nineteen and poor Josie's premature birth was all over the news for weeks. For years, many of us have been unable to open a newspaper, go online or even walk past a supermarket checkout line without seeing those dumb bastards smirk at us. For years, they've literally told us every single fucking thing. Every idiotic thought they have. Worse, they have spent the last ten years of their lives demanding we hold them up as moral exemplars. They've also spent that time hiding the abuse.

At the very least the authorities should be entitled to know if anything has happened since then and if efforts have been taken to prevent it from happening again.

Last edited by LavenderBlue; 05-25-2015 at 12:55 PM.
  #62  
Old 05-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I believe strongly in second chances for children. I can't agree with destroying somebody's reputation for something they did many years ago in childhood. This isn't a new scandal for the family. It's something they all went through and dealt with long ago. It was reported to a state police officer and much later there was a formal police investigation in 2006. It's a private family matter that is now being exploited because people disagree with the Duggar's political activism.
It is borderline lying to say that it was reported to a state police officer, and you should be ashamed of that dishonesty.
  #63  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:09 PM
elbows is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 14,398
If there was a 'formal police investigation' than a LOT of mandatory resporters broke the law. Good thing it was actually just discussing it with a family friend (also a mandatory resporter who DIDN't report, and is now in prison for sex offences!).

Now claiming a 'formal investigation'? Now that's disengenuous!

Last edited by elbows; 05-25-2015 at 01:10 PM.
  #64  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:21 PM
boytyperanma is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 5,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
My position is not difficult to understand
No we understand your position you stupid fuck. Repeat it a few more times and we'll still find it stupid and steeped in ignorance.

You are uterly incapable of comprehending the whole reason for this thread. You remain blissfully ignorant in your own reality where facts will never get in the way of your dumb ass possitions

Last edited by boytyperanma; 05-25-2015 at 01:22 PM.
  #65  
Old 05-25-2015, 03:12 PM
42fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
If there was a 'formal police investigation' than a LOT of mandatory resporters broke the law. Good thing it was actually just discussing it with a family friend (also a mandatory resporter who DIDN't report, and is now in prison for sex offences!).

Now claiming a 'formal investigation'? Now that's disengenuous!
Actually, there was a formal police investigation. But not until 2006*, when the statute of limitations had run out, so that no charges got filed.

The 'discussing the molestation with a mandatory reporter who ignored his obligations' part happened back in 2002-03.



*Apparently as a result of the family's cancelled Oprah appearance.
  #66  
Old 05-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
I don't remember him ever saying such a thing. He's just a gullible idiot who gets all of his news from The Daily Mail.
LOL.
  #67  
Old 05-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Ibn Warraq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Duck Dynasty is a "lookit them freaks" show coming the other way - "lookit how goshdarn American these people are ! You'll never be as authentic an American as they are. These people eat spangled stars and shit rugged, individualist bald eagles ramping Harley bikes on the torch of Lady Liberty while John Wayne plays the Battle Hymn of the Republic with an M-14 rifle".

But it's still corny as all hell, not to mention a hot spot of high grade, concentrated hickery. They're walking, talking caricatures of a stereotype that never even existed. And I have no notion how people can take any of it seriously.
I'm pretty sure they would not be huge fans of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic".

I think the song you were thinking of was Dixie.
  #68  
Old 05-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Really Not All That Bright is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
It's something they all went through and dealt with long ago. It was reported to a state police officer and much later there was a formal police investigation in 2006. It's a private family matter that is now being exploited because people disagree with the Duggar's political activism.
They told a family friend who happened to be a state trooper (and is now in prison for his own "youthful indiscretions" with minors.) There was a "formal police investigation" because Oprah's staff reported the matter to the FBI after a family friend told them about it. It was "dealt with" in the sense that the family sent Josh off to work on a construction site for a few weeks so they could pretend he was getting counseling.

It's not being exploited because of "the Duggars' political activism." I doubt more than a handful of people even knew the Duggars were politically active. It's being exploited because it's a horrible story and worse cover-up involving a family that put themselves in the public eye.
  #69  
Old 05-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42fish View Post
Actually, there was a formal police investigation. But not until 2006*, when the statute of limitations had run out, so that no charges got filed.

The 'discussing the molestation with a mandatory reporter who ignored his obligations' part happened back in 2002-03.

*Apparently as a result of the family's cancelled Oprah appearance.
Does anyone know how long the statute of limitations is for sexual assault in Arkansas? It seems like it ran out awfully quickly.
  #70  
Old 05-25-2015, 09:34 PM
susan's Avatar
susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coastal USA
Posts: 9,598
People who act hypocritically make themselves fair-game targets. Family values, huh? I've never molested anyone, but FRC certainly targets my family.
  #71  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 PM
aceplace57 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 26,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsun View Post
Does anyone know how long the statute of limitations is for sexual assault in Arkansas? It seems like it ran out awfully quickly.
My local news channel ran an article explaining it. Josh was a minor and it involved fondling. Not actual rape.

http://www.katv.com/story/29138824/s...m-facing-judge
Quote:
Many crimes in Arkansas don't have a statute of limitations like capital and first degree murder, sexual indecency with a child, first degree sexual assault and child porn. But most crimes have limits to when action can be taken against the suspect.

“It depends on the facts as they're presented to you as a prosecutor,” said Hiland.
<snip>

Class “A” and “Y” felonies, carry six year statutes of limitations. Class “B”, “C”, and “D” felonies carry only three year statute of limitations. But the exceptions to the rule are made again if the victim is a minor. Instances of rape and sexual assault will have no statute of limitations if the victim was under the age of 18.

But when it comes to suspects that are minors – that's where the grey area comes back into play.

“If it's sexual assault second, if it's a minor on a minor, meaning a minor commits against a minor, then that's the domain of the juvenile court and juvenile court loses jurisdiction over them at the age of 21,” said Hiland.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-25-2015 at 10:07 PM.
  #72  
Old 05-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Wolf333 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,168
At least Josh didn't quit the NFL after only one year, right ace? Now, that would be worthy of outrage.
  #73  
Old 05-26-2015, 12:29 AM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
It's a private family matter that is now being exploited because people disagree with the Duggar's political activism.
No, it's a crime and it should be exposed (not exploited) to prevent things like this from happening again.


(Although if you agree with their "political activism", which involves lobbying to deny LGBT individuals their civil rights, then you need to go and masturbate with a chainsaw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
At least Josh didn't quit the NFL after only one year, right ace? Now, that would be worthy of outrage.
What's this about?

Last edited by Guinastasia; 05-26-2015 at 12:30 AM.
  #74  
Old 05-26-2015, 03:17 AM
Kamino Neko's Avatar
Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Alternate 230
Posts: 15,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
At least Josh didn't quit the NFL after only one year, right ace? Now, that would be worthy of outrage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
What's this about?
This.
  #75  
Old 05-26-2015, 06:18 AM
Jack Batty's Avatar
Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 15,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I doubt more than a handful of people even knew the Duggars were politically active. It's being exploited because it's a horrible story and worse cover-up involving a family that put themselves in the public eye.
Exactly. The only thing I knew about the Duggars was that they were yet another in an endless string of "reality stars" that I actively ignore. Which one is that? The one with Smith Brothers look-alikes, or the one with the flaming dad in a mansion who knows best? Oh, the one where they have more kids than your average Russian orphange? Ok, I know what freak show you're talking about now.

Thats the part that kills me. I am a dyed-in-the-wool cynic and I am utterly unsurprised when news like this surfaces from the depths of the shallow gene pool that is reality television. In fact, I won't rest until every single reality show has at least one national-news-level scandal/meltdown. I have a bingo card I'm preparing and everything.
  #76  
Old 05-26-2015, 06:21 AM
elbows is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 14,398
Neither 'it was just fondling' nor 'the girls were asleep' pass the sniff test for me. They called sending him away to work hard 'counselling', now think how much spin is really being applied here, to everything.

"It depends on the facts as they're presented to you,...", stinks to high heaven too, in my opinion. Seems like a lot of 'looking the other way' by some 'good Christians' in the community. All the way down the line.
  #77  
Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 AM
joyfool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Texas
Posts: 9,813
Exactly. And I wonder how much ace would want to be "just fondled" by someone older, bigger, in a position of authority over him, that he had to continue to serve, all the while being told it was his fault and that he'd been the one to tempt (defraud) his sibling, even if he was only four. Then his parents could cover the whole thing up, but when exposed, all the focus was on how it was destroying his abuser's life with nary a word about what he was going through or how he'd been victimized. Wonder how he'd like that?
  #78  
Old 05-26-2015, 07:54 AM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is online now
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfool View Post
Exactly. And I wonder how much ace would want to be "just fondled" by someone older, bigger, in a position of authority over him, that he had to continue to serve, all the while being told it was his fault and that he'd been the one to tempt (defraud) his sibling, even if he was only four. Then his parents could cover the whole thing up, but when exposed, all the focus was on how it was destroying his abuser's life with nary a word about what he was going through or how he'd been victimized. Wonder how he'd like that?
He'll completely fail to understand the point you're making. Maybe if you explained it in simpler terms?
  #79  
Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Haberdash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 980
The insidiousness of Christian "forgiveness" doctrine is that it's a license to do anything, up to and including rape, murder, and large-scale fraud, for people in the approved political circle, that's conveniently never applied to those outside of it.
  #80  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Steve MB is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
My position is not difficult to understand.
Yes, if "understand" is understood to mean "accurately identify". No, if "understand" is understood to mean "make sense of", as it is obviously not possible to make sense of nonsense.

Quote:
I've made it clear that Duggar's actions were wrong. Thankfully it didn't go beyond groping and fondling.
You might want to insert a United Way update or something between "yes, that was wrong" and "...but this is why it's not such a big deal".

Quote:
I believe strongly in second chances for children. I can't agree with destroying somebody's reputation for something they did many years ago in childhood.
This isn't some stupid childish stunt like stealing a rival school mascot or something. This is a serious crime that strongly indicates the perpetrator to be profoundly lacking in internal control (conscience), and thus in need of a heaping helping of additional external control (fear of punishment). I don't know any effective way to instill the latter other than an initial dose of punishment for the initial offense(s).

Quote:
This isn't a new scandal for the family. It's something they all went through and dealt with long ago.
"Covered it up" doesn't count as "dealt with".

Quote:
It was reported to a state police officer
The dishonesty of this claim was addressed by the link in the OP. Read it. Learn it.

Quote:
It's a private family matter that is now being exploited because people disagree with the Duggar's political activism.
No, it's a crime that is being addressed now because the coverup finally cracked and society does not allow child-molesting criminals to go unpunished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
It is borderline lying to say that it was reported to a state police officer, and you should be ashamed of that dishonesty.
"Borderline"?
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #81  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 AM
dasmoocher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
He'll completely fail to understand the point you're making. Maybe if you explained it in simpler terms?
Touches down there bad.
  #82  
Old 05-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Really Not All That Bright is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
"Borderline"?
Well, it's literally true.
  #83  
Old 05-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Living Well Is Best Revenge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,433
God this pitting was so long overdue. He is one of the most asinine posters this board has ever had. At first I thought he was like this 95 year old geezer so I cut him some slack. But I think he said at some point that he is in late 40s or something. Such a mouth-breathing, sack of waste.
  #84  
Old 05-26-2015, 03:04 PM
control-z is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
NOTHING is private with the Duggars. Nothing. Why the hell should this be?

Dear god I spent years hearing about every stupid detail of Michelle Duggar's menstrual cycle and childbearing choices. The stupid bitch decides to go for child number nineteen and poor Josie's premature birth was all over the news for weeks. For years, many of us have been unable to open a newspaper, go online or even walk past a supermarket checkout line without seeing those dumb bastards smirk at us. For years, they've literally told us every single fucking thing. Every idiotic thought they have. Worse, they have spent the last ten years of their lives demanding we hold them up as moral exemplars. They've also spent that time hiding the abuse.

At the very least the authorities should be entitled to know if anything has happened since then and if efforts have been taken to prevent it from happening again.
I am trying to figure out what this thread is about, but you seem to know a whole lot about something you claim to hate. A lot of hostility there.
  #85  
Old 05-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Haberdash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 980
What exactly is wrong with being "hostile" towards a cult of Christian supremacists? Even before we found out they also have corrupted the state government and covered up multiple incidents of child molestation?
  #86  
Old 05-26-2015, 03:10 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 32,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I am trying to figure out what this thread is about, but you seem to know a whole lot about something you claim to hate. A lot of hostility there.
You could say the same about me and Nazi Germany.
  #87  
Old 05-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Haberdash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 980
It sounds like a typical Christian deflection tactic -- nothing is worse than "judging" or failing to "forgive" (only applies to things the Christian wants to defend like child-rape cults, of course -- judge and don't forgive gay weddings or some store not giving free shit to veterans all day long).
  #88  
Old 05-26-2015, 03:42 PM
LavenderBlue is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I am trying to figure out what this thread is about, but you seem to know a whole lot about something you claim to hate. A lot of hostility there.
I know a lot about them because I've had them shoved in my face for years and years and years.

I hate them for many reasons including their attempts to tell the rest of us how to run our lives.

Here they are telling woman like my late mom that they shouldn't be allowed to get an abortion even if they are raped:

Quote:
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...hable_by_death

An archive of Duggar's 2002 campaign website, which Gawker just dug up, included rather powerful statements against issues like incest and rape, made probably just before the time Josh Duggar, according to police reports published by In Touch, sexually molested five girls, reportedly including family members.

"Jim Bob lost the Republican nomination for Senate to Arkansasí incumbent Senator Tim Hutchinson," Gawker notes. "His son Josh remained very much alive and went on to molest several underage girls including some of his sisters from 2002-2003."

Like many politicians, Duggar posted his position statements to his 2002 campaign website, in a Q&A format.

LOOK: Only 'Fear Of Consequences' Keeps Us From Sin: Jessa Duggar's Father In Law Defends Josh

"What is your abortion position, and specifically, where do you stand on rape, incest, and threat to the motherís health?," the website asks.

"If a woman is raped, the rapist should be executed instead of the innocent unborn baby. Adoption is an option. Many couples would love to adopt and are waiting for a baby. Abortion has been and always will be the destruction of an innocent child," Jim Bob Duggar said.
So my late mom's decision to have abortion after she was forcibly assaulted at a party and held down against her will is pure evil. But their very own son's decision to engage in incest with his sisters merited barely any punishment at all and still should merit nothing to them today beyond much forgiveness from the rest of us.
  #89  
Old 05-26-2015, 04:02 PM
snowthx's Avatar
snowthx is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacratomato area
Posts: 3,490
Damn Skippy!, LavenderBlue.

Anyone who profits from extolling the virtues of their wholesome lifestyle deserves to be dragged thru the mud and tarred-and-feathered for not living up to their own standards.

Ace, one bit of advice I learned here long ago - there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity: Ignorance means you just don't know something, and that's OK, because we all can learn. Stupidity is holding on to your position or belief when presented with facts and remaining willfully ignorant.
  #90  
Old 05-26-2015, 06:51 PM
joyfool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Texas
Posts: 9,813
I don't hate them, mostly because I don't want to expend that much energy on them, but what ire I do direct them is because of all the damage they do. To their children, to Christians in general and to those they seek to oppress...... the GLBT, women, other minorities that don't align with their narrow, bigoted worldview. Why do I feel this way? I've experienced fundamentalism firsthand and know just how much being indoctrinated in that shit can screw you up for a long time. In some cases, forever.

So yeah, they're little hyper-sexualized (seriously, how can people who have so many restrictions regarding sex, talk / think about it so damn much?) cult can go sit on a cactus and spin.
  #91  
Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I am trying to figure out what this thread is about, but you seem to know a whole lot about something you claim to hate. A lot of hostility there.
If you're going to hate something shouldn't you know a lot about it? Better to hate something based on ignorance?
  #92  
Old 05-27-2015, 06:06 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,581
The thing that's bugging me is that they've somehow gotten everyone not to realize that they are part of a cult. They see saying anything bad about them as an attack on Christianity. You didn't see anyone freaking out over Mormon Mitch. And the evangelicals sure didn't defend the Catholic Church when they said they'd dealt with it.
  #93  
Old 05-27-2015, 06:10 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Duck Dynasty is a "lookit them freaks" show coming the other way - "lookit how goshdarn American these people are ! You'll never be as authentic an American as they are. These people eat spangled stars and shit rugged, individualist bald eagles ramping Harley bikes on the torch of Lady Liberty while John Wayne plays the Battle Hymn of the Republic with an M-14 rifle".

But it's still corny as all hell, not to mention a hot spot of high grade, concentrated hickery. They're walking, talking caricatures of a stereotype that never even existed. And I have no notion how people can take any of it seriously.
Because a lot of people, myself included, know people who act just like them. That's actually kinda why I didn't like the show. I could just go watch my relatives.

But that first paragraph is brilliant.
  #94  
Old 05-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Darth Panda is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 5,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
If you're going to hate something shouldn't you know a lot about it?
I knew there was a reason I got my degree in anthropology...
  #95  
Old 05-27-2015, 01:33 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Panda View Post
I knew there was a reason I got my degree in anthropology...
  #96  
Old 05-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post

Ah, yeah, in fact, I think he's mentioned he's suffered from head injuries himself, so he doesn't think it's a big deal. (It also explains quite a bit)
  #97  
Old 05-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Subterraneanus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
What the fuck is the pit for if not for shouting at people you disagree with? Jesus you're fucking dumb.
I don't think he's Jesus.
  #98  
Old 05-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Drunky Smurf's Avatar
Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 11,193
Do we know if Jesus molested anyone? Has the statutes run out?
  #99  
Old 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM
74westy's Avatar
74westy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Do we know if Jesus molested anyone? Has the statutes run out?
Have you ever seen anyone who started a new religion who hasn't molested anyone?
  #100  
Old 05-28-2015, 07:25 PM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen a statue of Jesus molesting anyone.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017