Old 06-03-2019, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Could have been worse. They could have played only the first 5 notes, pause then repeat. Try it at home, it's torture.
Holy shit, I'm doing it in my head and I already hate myself.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:01 AM

Teach me about White Tie dress

Here's a photo of Trump and Edinburgh with their respective spouses. (Trump looks a little grim; is that because Edinburgh has decorations on his jacket but Trump doesn't?)

My query is about white tie dress. I thought of posting in GQ or IMHO, but will first see if I can get an answer here.

Disclaimer: I know approximately zero about White Tie beyond my assumption that it involves wearing a tie that's white in color.

However, does Trump look like a silly goose in that costume? Did his tailor pay a trick on him? Was he too cheap to go to a tailor, and just borrowed shirt and jacket from two different aides? Aides who were very different in size?

I Googled for white tie images. A minority had a small amount of white shirt exposed at the bottom, but none like Trump. Is this a new fashion?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 AM

All I can see is the caption: "Mommy, jacket doesn't fit! And I don't like the book you gave me!"
Old 06-04-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Here's a photo of Trump and Edinburgh with their respective spouses. (Trump looks a little grim; is that because Edinburgh has decorations on his jacket but Trump doesn't?)

My query is about white tie dress. I thought of posting in GQ or IMHO, but will first see if I can get an answer here.

Disclaimer: I know approximately zero about White Tie beyond my assumption that it involves wearing a tie that's white in color.

However, does Trump look like a silly goose in that costume? Did his tailor pay a trick on him? Was he too cheap to go to a tailor, and just borrowed shirt and jacket from two different aides? Aides who were very different in size?

I Googled for white tie images. A minority had a small amount of white shirt exposed at the bottom, but none like Trump. Is this a new fashion?
Edinburgh? Do you mean Prince Charles? (Duke of Edinburgh is retired from official duties, and therefore absent).

I think I feel sorry for Trump's tailor - clearly Trump has pretty firm ideas of how he thinks suits should be. All wrong, obviously. Oh, and in the world of white tie, there is now new fashion. The whole get up is strictly victorian.

Last edited by SanVito; 06-04-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Nothing quite like insulting a member of the Royal Family and the mayor of your host's biggest city almost as you step off Air Force One: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/02/polit...sit/index.html
The Meghan thing was just stupid but Trump and Khan have bene sniping at each other ever since Khan was elected. IIRC Trump fired the first shot during one of his anti-Muslim tirades but I can't be bothered to look it up. Also, I find the spat petty but still amusing because Khan is so much better at it than Trump. Remember the Trump baby blimp? Good stuff.

As for clothing, Trump's tie-and-tails look was fine given the way he wears everything. It's more his "Old Biff from BTTF2" golfing look that has horrified me recently.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Yeah, he looked absolutely ridiculous. (And, as pointed out, that's Prince Charles, not the Duke of Edinbrugh, who has retired from public events due to age and infirmity.) Definitely shouldn't have that much white showing. I think the tailor stuck it to him big-time. He'll probably be fired. Or killed, following Kim's example. Contrast that with Obama, looking impeccable on the right (and on the left, too).
Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
...However, does Trump look like a silly goose in that costume?...
Whenever he tries to appear formal he stands with his hands pointed down in a way that looks quite forced. It reminds me of Louis C.K.'s routine about being self conscious when stoned. "Stand like this. What are you doing with your hands? No one does that."
Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Whenever he tries to appear formal he stands with his hands pointed down in a way that looks quite forced. It reminds me of Louis C.K.'s routine about being self conscious when stoned. "Stand like this. What are you doing with your hands? No one does that."
He really does look like a deer caught in the headlights of a car.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:

For the waistcoat to protrude below the jacket is not in itself wrong. Both the Lord Chamberlain and the Lord Steward, who walked in the procession immediately in front of the Queen and Trump, showed how that style is supposed to look. Whereas Trump just looked clueless. The really stupid thing is that white tie is intended to flatter tubbier guys, yet Trump's outfit merely drew attention to his paunch.

That said, there was not much wrong with the business suits he wore yesterday and today. Which only goes to show he can look just-about-OK if he makes an effort.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Honestly, that is how one should stand when posing formally. Yes, it feels weird and looks a bit unnatural, but it looks much better than clasping one's hands in front of one self, as President Obama does, or clasping one's hands behind one's back, as I tend to do.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Edinburgh? Do you mean Prince Charles? (Duke of Edinburgh is retired from official duties, and therefore absent).
Ouch! Prince Charles is starting to look old. (This disturbs me personally since I'm almost the same age.)
Old 06-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
This report brought to mind a bit of news from 18 months ago.

Trump officials fight eviction from Panama hotel they manage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP

PANAMA CITY (AP) — One of President Donald Trump’s family businesses is battling an effort to physically evict its team of executives from a luxury hotel in Panama where they manage operations, and police have been called to keep the peace, The Associated Press has learned. Witnesses told the AP they saw Trump’s executives carrying files to a room for shredding.
Nothing suspicious at all, move along.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APB View Post
For the waistcoat to protrude below the jacket is not in itself wrong. Both the Lord Chamberlain and the Lord Steward, who walked in the procession immediately in front of the Queen and Trump, showed how that style is supposed to look. Whereas Trump just looked clueless. The really stupid thing is that white tie is intended to flatter tubbier guys, yet Trump's outfit merely drew attention to his paunch.

That said, there was not much wrong with the business suits he wore yesterday and today. Which only goes to show he can look just-about-OK if he makes an effort.
Both of the Lords aren't showing nearly as much waistcoat. It looks like iDJiT's is longer rather than the jacket being too short. My theory is that he didn't have his usual long tie, so the waistcoat had to do... whatever the tie is supposed to do.

His pants aren't too long so he must have remembered to pack his lifts so the queen wouldn't look taller than him.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Ouch! Prince Charles is starting to look old. (This disturbs me personally since I'm almost the same age.)
I'm ONE DAY older than Prince Charles (70, 71 in November), and I know I don't look anywhere near as old as he does.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I'm ONE DAY older than Prince Charles (70, 71 in November), and I know I don't look anywhere near as old as he does.
You must remember that he's had a much harder life than most people. Since he was three, he has known that he's just one heartbeat away from being the King of England. That responsibility would weigh heavily on anybody's shoulders.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I don't think I'd ever realized how positively tiny Queenie is.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Can't we please have a reversal of the events of 1989 and have a crack Panamanian strike force come in and haul off our president to face charges in Panama.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:34 AM

This is not news or even terribly current, but in light of Trump's trip to England I thought I'd share the previous Poet Laureate's artistic tribute to the man: Swearing In

It is a thing of beauty, in its own way. And it rhymes!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

No one does insults like the Brits.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:41 AM

The Onion:
(Trump sees Trump baby balloon in London.)

"LONDON—Racking his brain upon noticing the massive infant’s “uncanny resemblance” to himself, a visibly panicked President Trump tried to recall all his recent sexual liaisons after spotting an enormous baby balloon in a crowd of London protesters, sources confirmed Monday. “Oh God, this kid looks, what, maybe five or six months old—so how long ago are we talking?” said Trump, who reportedly struggled to put names with faces as he visualized all the women he had sex with during his 2018 trip to London and his golf course in Turnberry, Scotland. "

https://politics.theonion.com/panick...-ha-1835208402
Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 PM
SDSAB

The Trumpspawn just might wanna be a royal family themselves: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/polit...tus/index.html
Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I don't think I'd ever realized how positively tiny Queenie is.
Well, she's also gotten to the point where you can count her age by the curve on her back.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
The Trumpspawn just might wanna be a royal family themselves: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/polit...tus/index.html
The blonde on the right looks, uh... out of place... who is that... ah. "Woody Johnson's wife". OK, that fits then
Old 06-05-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
Both of the Lords aren't showing nearly as much waistcoat. It looks like iDJiT's is longer rather than the jacket being too short. My theory is that he didn't have his usual long tie, so the waistcoat had to do... whatever the tie is supposed to do.

His pants aren't too long so he must have remembered to pack his lifts so the queen wouldn't look taller than him.
There's a photo somewhere of the shoes (taken as Trump is sitting)---three-inch platforms, or at least that's what they look like. (My search terms aren't working, but if I see it again I'll come back and post it.)

And the waistcoat is clearly elasticized.

You know: a girdle.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 PM

That Donald Trump is an asshole is common knowledge. However, there was also, in some quarters, a perception that maybe he was a good family man behind closed doors. Hillary Clinton, at the end of one of her debates with Trump, was asked to mention something she respected about her orange opponent and said: “I respect his children. His children are incredibly able and devoted, and I think that says a lot about Donald.”

Michael Wolff, who has a new book out, spoke on MSNBC and painted Donald Trump out as being a monster to his family too.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

His children are all “incredibly devoted” because they are slavering after that inheritance. I don’t believe that any of them are competent enough to earn their own livings.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

What inheritance? They're going to open that safe and find nothing but a pile of UOme notes from a bunch of Russians with no necks.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:31 PM
SDSAB

Trump insults Mueller and Pelosi at U.S. military cemetery in France: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ance/23743143/

A statesman wherever he goes....
Old 06-06-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Trump insults Mueller and Pelosi at U.S. military cemetery in France: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ance/23743143/

A statesman wherever he goes....
Is this thump's first use of a nickname for Nancy, i.e., "Nervous Nancy"? Wow--he must be getting nervous himself. Note that even with the insults, he hasn't nicknamed Mueller.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
Hillary Clinton ... said: “I respect his children. His children are incredibly able and devoted, and I think that says a lot about Donald.”
I heard that as backhanded - she respects his children (not him), for finding ways to cope with him.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:57 PM

Donald Trump: “At that time Hitler was virtually unstoppable. He was going through countries like cheese.”
Old 06-06-2019, 07:21 PM

Question: Does Donnie have ANY idea what D-Day was about?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
That was probably Fred Trump's nickname for Donnie's report card day.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

Dollars to donuts: Donald Day. Duh!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
"Lots of guys on a beach. Not enough chicks."
Old 06-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
Donald Trump: “At that time Hitler was virtually unstoppable. He was going through countries like cheese.”
A little-known fact: Adolf was extremely fond of cheese, often eating seven or eight pounds in one night.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I got my answer in the New York Times today:

"The Donald Thinks D-Day Is About Him"
https://nyti.ms/2Xs1h5F
Quote:
PARIS — ...
To have Donald Trump — the bone-spur evader of the Vietnam draft, the coddler of autocrats, the would-be destroyer of the European Union, the pay-up-now denigrator of NATO, the apologist for the white supremacists of Charlottesville — commemorate the boys from Kansas City and St. Paul who gave their lives for freedom is to understand the word impostor. You can’t make a sculpture from rotten wood.

It’s worth saying again. If Europe is whole and free and at peace, it’s because of NATO and the European Union; it’s because the United States became a European power after World War II; it’s because America’s word was a solemn pledge; it’s because that word cemented alliances that were not zero-sum games but the foundation for stability and prosperity on both sides of the Atlantic.

Of this, Trump understands nothing. Therefore he cannot comprehend the sacrifice at Omaha Beach 75 years ago. He cannot see that the postwar trans-Atlantic achievement — undergirded by the institutions and alliances he tramples upon with such crass truculence — was in fact the vindication of those young men who gave everything.
My bold.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:12 AM

Dude's surprised some people give a shit about the future. NATO and the EU are, were created by, people who cared very much about the future. Of their countries, of their children, and of the children of the children of the children of their children.

Last edited by Nava; 06-07-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Dude's surprised some people give a shit about the future. NATO and the EU are, were created by, people who cared very much about the future. Of their countries, of their children, and of the children of the children of the children of their children.
As he famously said about the nation's debt:

Trump on Coming Debt Crisis: ‘I Won’t Be Here’ When It Blows Up
The president thinks the balancing of the nation’s books is going to, ultimately, be a future president’s problem.

Heck, everything down the road is going to be somebody else's problem, amirite?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I got my answer in the New York Times today:

"The Donald Thinks D-Day Is About Him"
https://nyti.ms/2Xs1h5F

My bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT
You can’t make a sculpture from rotten wood.
I am so stealing that.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:

The president thinks the balancing of the nation’s books is going to, ultimately, be a future president’s problem.

There was a joke decades ago that if Guy Lombardo were ever to die, he'd take New Year's Eve with him. I strongly suspect that CFSG feels the same way about the entire universe: after all, it exists only to serve his needs wants whims and reflect his glory, right?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Or "Just print more money" to handle the national debt. Trumps understanding economics is "Give the hooker a bunch of money to keep her quite" And he even fucks that up.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Fifteen world leaders signed a proclamation at a D-Day ceremony in England. Fourteen of them signed at the bottom of the page. One signed at the top. Guess who?

https://twitter.com/axios/status/113...419456001?s=19
Old 06-07-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Or "Just print more money" to handle the national debt. Trumps understanding economics is "Give the hooker a bunch of money to keep her quite" And he even fucks that up.
They'll just say that they can't afford social security, medicare, and "socialism"
Old 06-07-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Fifteen world leaders signed a proclamation at a D-Day ceremony in England. Fourteen of them signed at the bottom of the page. One signed at the top. Guess who?

https://twitter.com/axios/status/113...419456001?s=19
Tell me it's not so...
Old 06-07-2019, 04:33 PM

This was a couple days ago but no one has commented yet. Trump abruptly bans cruises to Cuba. Again. With no warning or grace period for ships already en route.

He tried this a year or so ago, but the cruise industry pushed back. At that time, private vacations to the island were banned but cruise ships could still go. Now, ships en route have to change their itineraries on the fly. People who specifically paid to visit Cuba will not get what they paid for, and several lines have announced full or partial refunds to passengers. And for what?? For no other reason than to have a tantrum, apparently, because Republicans are pushing back on tariffs. Or people are making fun of his formal attire. Or the nonexistent adoring British crowds. Or something.

It's petty and shitty and will accomplish nothing except to gratify his ego. You want to influence the Cuban government, flood the Cuban economy with American tourist and trade dollars. Disclosure: I went on one of these cruises a year ago and it was wonderful.

Last edited by Toxgoddess; 06-07-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:08 PM

I have a pet theory that Melanoma is heavily into Latino men and has had several affairs. Only a cuckold like this "president" could harbor so much irrational hatred for our neighbors to the south.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 PM

I have decided that turnabout is, indeed, fair play. It is time to slap a nickname on trump. I'd say "Crooked Donald" because he is as crooked as a bent corkscrew. But he's already used that one. I'd say "Crazy Donnie", because he's crazy as a shithouse rat but he's already used that one. I'd say "Lyin' Don", because he lies, it sometimes seems, merely to stay in practice, but he's used that one too. But there is one nickname that I don't remember seeing him ever use on anybody, almost as if he were holding it in reserve. And that is "Phony" because he is as phony as a wallet full of three dollar bills, from the alleged hair on his head to the supposed bone spurs in his heels. "Phony Donnie" he is.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
I have decided that turnabout is, indeed, fair play. It is time to slap a nickname on trump. I'd say "Crooked Donald" because he is as crooked as a bent corkscrew. But he's already used that one. I'd say "Crazy Donnie", because he's crazy as a shithouse rat but he's already used that one. I'd say "Lyin' Don", because he lies, it sometimes seems, merely to stay in practice, but he's used that one too. But there is one nickname that I don't remember seeing him ever use on anybody, almost as if he were holding it in reserve. And that is "Phony" because he is as phony as a wallet full of three dollar bills, from the alleged hair on his head to the supposed bone spurs in his heels. "Phony Donnie" he is.
I like it, but how about, in the spirit of turnabout, using the term he is so fond of: "Fake Donnie"?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 PM

Do you really want to be as immature as he is? I cringe when people here have to stoop to using taunting nicknames for Trump (see that's bad enough... you can't get worse than calling him by the syllable that'll be spat out with derision for decades to come).