Old 09-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How did this get derailed into the Old Fashioned thread?

I don’t think I’ve ever ordered one in a bar, because I’m not fond of the “garbage” (actual barkeep nomenclature for extraneous fruit, vegetable matter, etc). At home I swirl in a proper Old Fashioned glass a very small amount of sugar straight from the sugar jar with a tablespoon of tap water, add much ice, a couple dashes of Peychaud’s bitters, and fill almost completely with rye or bourbon. Then a dash of seltzer on the top so I’m not pounding back straight booze, and garnish with lemon peel.

Everyone feel free to yell at me and tell me how wrong I am for not liking maraschino cherries and chunks of citrus.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post

I don’t think I’ve ever ordered one in a bar, because I’m not fond of the “garbage” (actual barkeep nomenclature for extraneous fruit, vegetable matter, etc). At home I swirl in a proper Old Fashioned glass a very small amount of sugar straight from the sugar jar with a tablespoon of tap water, add much ice, a couple dashes of Peychaud’s bitters, and fill almost completely with rye or bourbon. Then a dash of seltzer on the top so I’m not pounding back straight booze, and garnish with lemon peel.

Everyone feel free to yell at me and tell me how wrong I am for not liking maraschino cherries and chunks of citrus.
That's pretty much as old-school and spartan of an Old Fashioned as you can make.

You might dig Sazeracs if that's how you do your Old Fashioneds- it's similar, except with rye whiskey, no water/soda, and a tiny bit of absinthe. (the two drinks are some of the earliest recorded "named" cocktails).
Old 09-18-2019, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=digs;21867634And, by the way, what IS a "Supper club"? I remember being taken to them as a child, but didn't know why they were different from any other restaurant (I would've said "umm, they're darker, with a lot more drinks, tons of food, and people are really friendly").[/QUOTE]

Supper clubs are becoming harder to find, even in Wisconsin. I note though that Grant Achatz just opened one in Chicago, so maybe they'll make a comeback.

To my mind, a supper club is a restaurant which serves somewhat old fashioned food (to echo the Old Fashioned you ordered as a cocktail). The menu should include prime rib, fish, pork chops or schnitzel, stuff like that. Your meal comes with soup AND salad as well as side dish and bread.

And a pre-dinner relish tray to nibble on with your cocktail. In my opinion it doesn't count as a true supper club relish tray unless it includes kidney bean salad, sliced beets and cottage cheese. The better places have cheese spread, too, to spread on the crackers that always accompany the relish tray.

Dessert is not typically included, but for the full supper club experience, order an ice cream drink, such as a Grasshopper or Brandy Alexander.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Something like this is what I expect everywhere else but Wisconsin.
Exactly. I actually went out and bought a bottle of Korbel just so I could make myself a Wisconsin Old Fashioned.

Never again. I'd rather stay sober.

Ike, I would drink your Old Fashioned happily. I don't mind the fruit, but I don't require it either.

Last edited by silenus; 09-18-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post

Back to the OP: if you're ordering drinks at a place like Red Lobster, best to stick to the sickly-sweet drinks on the menu, beer, wine, or (at most) and "and" cocktail: Gin and Tonic. Whiskey and Coke. Bourbon and Gingers. Anyone can make those drinks.
You would think that anyone could make a Gin & Tonic, wouldn't you? Unless it's one of the bartenders at my local pool hall. First time I ordered a G&T she reversed the ratios. All the gin and a couple shots of tonic. I've never ordered another.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Guys, guys....a brandy Alexander is neither a “hot drink” nor an “ice cream drink.”

It’s 2 ounces each brandy, creme de cacao, and heavy cream, shaken with ice and poured into a chilled cocktail glass, with a little grated nutmeg sprinkled on top.

I would order these every once in a while during my jaded youth, usually after a lavish and cholesterol-laden restaurant dinner. Sometimes I would get the regular Alexander, which substitutes gin for brandy, to keep in line with my aperitif martini.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Guys, guys....a brandy Alexander is neither a “hot drink” nor an “ice cream drink.”

It’s 2 ounces each brandy, creme de cacao, and heavy cream, shaken with ice and poured into a chilled cocktail glass, with a little grated nutmeg sprinkled on top.

I would order these every once in a while during my jaded youth, usually after a lavish and cholesterol-laden restaurant dinner. Sometimes I would get the regular Alexander, which substitutes gin for brandy, to keep in line with my aperitif martini.
That's the classic Brandy Alexander. I'm pretty sure the classic Grasshopper isn't an ice cream drink, either. But the supper club version of these is sometimes as ice cream drinks.

While on the topic of cream drinks that can be made with ice cream, is it even possible to get a Pink Squirrel anymore?
Old 09-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Bump: Sazeracs are great, but I’ve only ordered them in N’Awlins. The elderly waiters at places like Antoine’s and Commander’s Palace perk up when you ask for this grand old cocktail; it’s a pleasure to watch their eyes light.

A New Orleans Sazerac comes in a smaller glass than an Old Fashioned, and is served straight up and cool rather than stinging cold. I don’t know how they achieve a temperature that makes such a pleasant drink. Maybe keep the booze in a stone jar in the icehouse?

And before absinthe was re-legalized in the US, they used Pernod. I think Arnaud’s had an alternate house recipe for the anise flavoring, which included herbsainte.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 09-18-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I work at a (supposedly) upscale open-patio restaurant in a trendy oldish part of town. Old Fashioneds and Manhattans are often ordered by all age groups.

Getting to the "Your bartender secretly hates you" aspect touched on....I was out with some hipsters once and they were touting how the bartender loves them cause he makes fancy, complex drinks for them. The place was fairly busy and i noticed their "Friend" hadn't come over yet to take their order....and I told them straight up "This dude HATES making those drinks for you cause its a pain in the ass."

Sure enough, only after things had died down somewhat did he come over and ask if they wanted....whatever it was they had. I don't remember. It was a bigger pain than "Mojitos in a place that doesn't even know if we have fucking mint let me drop everything and go look for some mint"
Old 09-18-2019, 05:03 PM

Yeah, never order a labor-intensive cocktail if you have to wait for the bartender to get your order... actually, if it's really busy, I order a straight scotch or a tap beer. Even if I really wanted a Manhattan [sniff, sniff, entitled middle-class problem].

Quick shout out to the closest I've found to an old school supper club/steakhouse, Smoky's in Madison, WI. And, this is even on topic...Bartender Bob does martinis just right (and will make you a perfect Brandy Old Fashioned). Oh, and before you order your big thick steak with hash browns, they do put out breadsticks and the classic relish tray! I had NOT seen one of those since the 60s.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
I'm LOLing at the idea of a three-ingredient drink being a pain in the ass. At least tipping for one is a lot less silly than for a beer or an X and Y highball.
This was your plain old-fashioned ball and beer joint. A complicated drink was some booze and a shot from the soda gun. Beyond that, well, now we're into "fancy" drinks.

And a Long Island Iced Tea (popular in that time and place) has more than three ingredients. Plus coke. And ordering one is, in my experience, prima facie evidence that the orderer is underage.

And anyone who asks any bartender, in any bar, anywhere in the world, to "layer it" should be banned for life.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Make up your mind, can i get a manhattan or not?

lol
I said I could make one, not that anyone ever ordered one in that place. I would have made one for you. The regular bartender (I was kind of a fill-in, or backup on busy nights) was a really cranky old Irish dude who most definitely would not have made one for you.

I had a girlfriend, years back, who loved them. We'd get together every day, after work, before dinner, and have a drink or two. She loved Manhattans, although she would make them (or have me make them) with bourbon rather than rye. And cold. Just stirring wouldn't do it for her. And I'd have an Irish whiskey on the rocks. Preferably Powers.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same for the moment, but then I remembered, there's plenty of bars in my neighborhood where I've literally never seen a cocktail that requires a shaker being served, so I get it.
This was that kind of place. Neighborhood joint. No food. I think there were three brands of beer on tap. Maybe four bottled beers. Same people, all the time, so much so that a new face got noticed.

It looked really rough, but it wasn't. There was rarely any trouble (the place across the boulevard, on the other hand, was notorious, and hired a guy I knew, someone who had been kicked off the NYPD for all kinds of reasons, as a bartender to keep things under control).

But it was just a neighborhood hangout.

And you could actually get a glass of wine there. Red or white. From big jugs. I forget the brand.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
And cold. Just stirring wouldn't do it for her.
Me, either. That's why the ryes live in the bar freezer along with the wife's martini vodka. The liquors have to be cold enough to stay chilled a goodly bit when served "up."
Old 09-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Like a lot of others, very few of the bars I go to regularly (a list about 6 deep) could be trusted beyond juice & booze or things from the bar gun. They're beer & shot type joints. If I'm at a better place with a talented bartender and in the mood for a cocktail, I usually go Sazerac or old fashioned-easy sugar.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
That's the classic Brandy Alexander. I'm pretty sure the classic Grasshopper isn't an ice cream drink, either. But the supper club version of these is sometimes as ice cream drinks.

While on the topic of cream drinks that can be made with ice cream, is it even possible to get a Pink Squirrel anymore?
The classic Grasshopper, Brandy Alexander and Pink Squirrel are not ice cream drinks, though more modern versions do include ice cream in place of heavy cream as you point out. All are made in a similar way: The liqueurs and/or liquors mixed with cream and shaken with ice, then strained into a glass, usually a martini or old-style champagne glass. None are hard to make. You could probably have a Grasshopper at any decent bar tonight.

You probably can't get a proper Pink Squirrel unless you make it at home, because the distinguishing ingredient is crème de noyaux. That's what gives it its lovely and distinctive pink color. Not commonly stocked in bars these days, more's the pity.

Aspenglow, former bartender with a shameful yesteryear fondness for Pink Squirrels and Grasshoppers.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:39 PM

A grasshopper and a pink squirrel walk into Aspenglow's bar.

And the bartender says "I have drinks named after you guys!"...
Old 09-18-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
A grasshopper and a pink squirrel walk into Aspenglow's bar.

And the bartender says "I have drinks named after you guys!"...
LOL, maybe we should come up with a Pink Grasshopper, too... but crème de noyaux and crème de menthe together in the same glass with crème de cacao? Urgh.

Re the OP, I do think the Golden Era of Cocktails in the 40s, 50s and 60s belongs to a slower time now past. There are high end bars around today that maintain those traditions, but they are few and far between.

I loved perfecting mixed drinks and still (if I do say so myself) mix a mean martini. But people feel strongly about how they want their martinis -- I know I do! -- so even in a rare encounter with an experienced bartender, you may not get it exactly the way you dream it should be.

Also agree with Saintly Loser. People who order complex layered drinks are not fit to inhabit proper bars.

In truth, I shouldn't be driving after consuming a perfectly made martini anyway. But I do miss ordering them while out at a fine dining establishment.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: layered drinks:. In Trader Vic’s Bartender’s Guide, Vic told the story of a customer who ordered a pousse cafe on a busy night. The barkeep sweated to get the thing just right, trying to remember which liqueurs were the heaviest, then proudly served it up glowing with color.

The guy showed it off to the table, then downed it like a straight shot.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
LOL, maybe we should come up with a Pink Grasshopper, too... but crème de noyaux and crème de menthe together in the same glass with crème de cacao? Urgh.

What's your take on this one? One shot each of Bacardi 151 (it's no longer produced), Crème de cacao, and Kahlúa.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
What's your take on this one? One shot each of Bacardi 151 (it's no longer produced), Crème de cacao, and Kahlúa.
It sounds like it would taste lovely and knock you on your ass. You should give it a name!

I was so sure there was already a drink made with those 3 things, I just had to look it up. Here's what I learned about drinks that use your 3 suggested ingredients:

If you added Bailey's Irish Cream, you'd have a Diamondback Rattlesnake.

If you substituted bourbon for the crème de cacao, you'd have a Gorilla Tit.

If you substituted tequila for the crème de cacao, you'd have a Harbor Light #2.

If you substituted crème de banane for the crème de cacao, you'd have a PRMF (Puerto Rican Monkey Fuck).

If you omitted the crème de cacao and simply added cream, you'd have a Mad Cow.

If you substituted tonic water for the cream in the above drink, you'd have a Mind Eraser #2.

Great. Now I have to try 'em all.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
In my opinion it doesn't count as a true supper club relish tray unless it includes kidney bean salad, sliced beets and cottage cheese.
I can not envision such a monstrous combination. Any chance you could find a photo of a typical one?
Old 09-19-2019, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
WTF is pre-mix? And why would it be in an Old Fashioned?
It's THIS pig slop. I linked to it in Post #48.

And it doesn't belong in a properly made Old fashioned. It's used by hacks that are too lazy or stupid to know how one is supposed to be made. Any barkeep that uses it isn't even fit to tap suds at a frat house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
I can not envision such a monstrous combination. Any chance you could find a photo of a typical one?
A proper supper club tray comes on a Lazy Susan and many include those items. Google "Supper Club relish tray" for some pics.

Last edited by pkbites; 09-19-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
It sounds like it would taste lovely and knock you on your ass. You should give it a name!

I concocted it years ago in Monterey and did, in fact, give it a name: California Chocolate Milk.

Quote:
I was so sure there was already a drink made with those 3 things, I just had to look it up. Here's what I learned about drinks that use your 3 suggested ingredients:

If you added Bailey's Irish Cream, you'd have a Diamondback Rattlesnake.

If you substituted bourbon for the crème de cacao, you'd have a Gorilla Tit.

If you substituted tequila for the crème de cacao, you'd have a Harbor Light #2.

If you substituted crème de banane for the crème de cacao, you'd have a PRMF (Puerto Rican Monkey Fuck).

If you omitted the crème de cacao and simply added cream, you'd have a Mad Cow.

If you substituted tonic water for the cream in the above drink, you'd have a Mind Eraser #2.

Great. Now I have to try 'em all.

Get back to us after you recover try them. Oh, and what woudl be the "mocktail/virgin" versions of those?

Last edited by Monty; 09-19-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And you could actually get a glass of wine there. Red or white. From big jugs. I forget the brand.
Years ago, my ex and I were on a road trip. I forget where we were, but we were hungry and pulled into a place that looked like they had both food and booze. I ordered a beer, but my wife preferred wine, and asked the server what the place had for wines. You know, Chardonnay, or Cabernet Sauvignon, or whatever.

"Both kinds," the server replied. "Red and white."

Holy Blues Brothers, Batman! Anyway, my ex ordered the white, which turned out to be (according to her) a rather nice Chardonnay.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Carlo Rossi?
Old 09-19-2019, 02:57 AM

I've always wondered what it is that drives certain tihngs to be quite popular in one place, but disliked--or even detested--in other places. For example, years ago, there was one small place in Roppongi that my friend and I loved to frequent. The joint happened to have two items prominently displayed and for quite the price: Four Roses and Ripple. Neither of us knew about the former, but the latter one being so esteemed slayed us.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

And it doesn't belong in a properly made Old fashioned. It's used by hacks that are too lazy or stupid to know how one is supposed to be made. Any barkeep that uses it isn't even fit to tap suds at a frat house.
Are Wisconsin Old Fashioneds usually an unholy red colour?
Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Are Wisconsin Old Fashioneds usually an unholy red colour?
Definitely not.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Yes, they're a very holy red color.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Bacardi has gone 80 Proof straight across the board, but there are decent substitutes available, such as Cruzan Hurricane Proof 137(my overproof rum of choice), Bermudez 151, and the hard to find Lemon Hart & Son Overproof 151.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

Gods... that site makes my skin crawl. Is it so hard to juice lemons and limes and have sugar syrup, vermouth, and bitters on hand?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I concocted it years ago in Monterey and did, in fact, give it a name: California Chocolate Milk.
Sounds quite nice. I'd drink one.

Quote:
Get back to us after you recover try them. Oh, and what woudl be the "mocktail/virgin" versions of those?
Probably a goal that will go unfulfilled in my Bucket List column, especially since Bacardi no longer makes their 151, but they do all sound nice.

I can't envision any "mocktail/virgin" versions of any of them. Got any ideas? I'd give up and start dishing out ice cream sundaes.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
I've always wondered what it is that drives certain tihngs to be quite popular in one place, but disliked--or even detested--in other places. For example, years ago, there was one small place in Roppongi that my friend and I loved to frequent. The joint happened to have two items prominently displayed and for quite the price: Four Roses and Ripple. Neither of us knew about the former, but the latter one being so esteemed slayed us.
Coming from Rochester NY, Genesee products are the cheap local swill. I am always amused when I walk into a bar and see Gennie Cream Ale as a premium beer
Old 09-19-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Re: layered drinks:. In Trader Vic’s Bartender’s Guide, Vic told the story of a customer who ordered a pousse cafe on a busy night. The barkeep sweated to get the thing just right, trying to remember which liqueurs were the heaviest, then proudly served it up glowing with color.

The guy showed it off to the table, then downed it like a straight shot.
Something similar happened to the father of a friend of mine, except that after the customer showed it off, he stirred it.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:02 PM

If an Old Fashioned is red, it means that they're using bright red "supermarket maraschino" cherries, and pouring way too much of the juice in your drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Coming from Rochester NY, Genesee products are the cheap local swill. I am always amused when I walk into a bar and see Gennie Cream Ale as a premium beer
We have a bar where the hipsters drink Gennesee Cream Ale, and I wonder if it's because it sounds exotic, yet familiar. There's a Genesee Depot, Wisconsin... home of Ten Chimneys! The beautifully restored (and open to the public) home of vintage Broadway actors Lynn Fontanne and Alfred Lunt.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Old friend of mine attended the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in the early ‘80s. Genesee Cream Ale was worshipped like a god. I couldn’t figure it out, either.

Probably because it was difficult to obtain. I think Vernor’s Ginger Ale is a special treat here in the East, but it would be totally common in Ann Arbor. This would also explain the 1970s craze for the pigswill that is Coor’s beer, which was really hard to find east of the Mississippi.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 09-19-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Something similar happened to the father of a friend of mine, except that after the customer showed it off, he stirred it.
Yes, that would be worse.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, that would be worse.
Are those weird rainbow drinks any good? What is in them? I don't believe I've ever ordered anything more complicated than a portion of brandy (Cognac, Armagnac, Slivovitz, etc.) as a pousse-café, except maybe an Irish coffee.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
Are those weird rainbow drinks any good? What is in them? I don't believe I've ever ordered anything more complicated than a portion of brandy (Cognac, Armagnac, Slivovitz, etc.) as a pousse-café, except maybe an Irish coffee.
I would certainly never order any of them. The idea is that you pour a heavy liqueur into the pousse-cafe glass, then slowly pour the next heaviest down a swizzle stick or something so that it makes the next layer, then keep going with lighter and lighter booze until you reach the top.

If you’re choosing your drinks by mass, I can’t imagine that they would ever taste good in sequence. (You’re supposed to sip them off one layer at a time.)

What’s in them? Christ knows. I’m not a big drinker of sweets.

Stick with Cognac and Armagnac, maybe mix it up with a bit of Calvados.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What’s in them? Christ knows. I’m not a big drinker of sweets.

Stick with Cognac and Armagnac, maybe mix it up with a bit of Calvados.
This. If I want to drink sweet I'll break open a port. Not that much a fan of Calvados, but I love me some high-end Grand Marnier.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
This. If I want to drink sweet I'll break open a port...
Funny thing...years ago we traveled through southern Spain, and I learned to love sherry — especially the dry Finos and Manzanillas, which are drunk chilled with tapas and can even accompany seafood appetizers like grilled shrimp with garlic. I even enjoyed the heavier Amontillados (“For the love of God, Montresor!”). I continue to buy dry sherries frequently and order them in restaurants when special ones are available.

A few years later when we visited Portugal, I rubbed my hands with glee at the thought of gaining a similar education in port. I drank white ports, ruby ports, tawny ports, with food and alone. They were perfectly acceptable (in Portugal) but I’ve never bothered with it back in the States. Like when I drank Scotch whisky all through Scotland but still stick to bourbon and rye at home. Just a matter of taste, I suppose.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Damn your eyes, I thought I'd finished my bucket list... I mean, come on, I skritched manatees and played tag with dolphins, rappelled off Billy's Buttress and hang glided at Kitty Hawk... but nooooo, now I have to find the perfect Old Fashioned in Wisconsin, single malts in Scotland, amontillados in Andalucía, and looks like I have to run off to Madeira as well!
Old 09-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sounds like you’re in for some fun. Need a traveling valet to lay out your suits?

If I find a white dinner jacket or a banjolele in your trunk, you will be severely punished. Like having to give out the school awards at Market Snodsbury.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 09-20-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you’re in for some fun. Need a traveling valet to lay out your suits?

If I find a white dinner jacket or a banjolele in your trunk, you will be severely punished. Like having to give out the school awards at Market Snodsbury.
That would be wonderful... ah, but you'd need a propah London accent, and be a VAL'ette (as opposed to a val-AY').

Oh, and you would of course be willing to aid and abet as I nick cow creamers and constables' helmets. And you'd join the Junior Ganymede Club "for the gentleman’s gentleman"... and have access to The Book.

Thought of this thread today as I sat at a bar (digging into eggs'n'hash as I watched two UWs win). I told the bartender about you folks as he fussed over Old Fashioneds with a wooden muddler.

Last edited by digs; 09-21-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
Oh, well look at you. A human hair. La di dah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
And none of that homeopathy with the vermouth, either. [/SIZE]
You both made me laugh so hard the cat got up and left me. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Bacardi 151 (it's no longer produced)
What?!? That was a key ingredient in my contest-winning s'mores cocktail! I actually don't remember all the ingredients; the important parts were dipping the rim of the mug in melted chocolate and then crushed Graham crackers, then throwing in a marshmallow on top of the drink and some Bacardi 151 and setting it on fire. A large group of people in the process of becoming highly educated individuals found this to be a worthy concotion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Bacardi has gone 80 Proof straight across the board, but there are decent substitutes available, such as Cruzan Hurricane Proof 137(my overproof rum of choice), Bermudez 151, and the hard to find Lemon Hart & Son Overproof 151.
Oh, well, fine; I guess I'll have to pick up one of those once I use up the last of the Bacardi 151 I bought in 2012.

Seriously, though, as a former bartender myself I'm not a fan of the attitude that people who order cocktails with more than two ingredients are jerks. A big part of what bars offer is an experience you can't get at home (where you could probably enjoy an entire six-pack of that same beer for about what you're paying for a single pint, factoring in tax and tip). A monkey could mix his own rum and coke. Yes, you're busy, but you're also making really good money. Get over yourself and make that lady an appletini.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

This afternoon was the first time I made Manhattans with Wild Turkey Rye. A dangerous choice. This sumbitch I'm sipping is wicked smooth. Made 4 to 1 with Dolin sweet vermouth, dash of Angostura bitters and a spoonful of the juice from the cherry jar. Luxardo, of course.

My usual ryes for cocktails are Pikesville, Sazerac and Crown Royal Northern Harvest. All the same and yet all so different. Now Wild Turkey rye goes into the mix.

Oh, and the ideal Manhattan also has to have a random cat hair or 3 land in it before you can finish it. Try to get that level of service at a bar!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sazerac Rye is made by the Heaven Hill distillery, which makes my favorite bourbon. I tried the rye and did not like it at all — sipped some on the rocks and just said “...that ain’t right.”

I’ve gone back to Old Overholt (aka “Old Overcoat”), which was the one rye available before rye started to come back into fashion about ten years ago.

Tell me, Dear Abby, am I a lost cause?
Old 09-22-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Old Overcoat?

Son, I've got some bad news.....
Old 09-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Not to beat up on Red Lobster too much (but why not?), any place that routinely prepares seafood in semi-non-palatable fashion can't be trusted to do anything right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Except those cheddar bay biscuits, those are awesome.
Their Cajun Chicken Alfredo is pretty good, too.