Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
What part of the south were you in?
Charlotte, which is probably majority NOT "real" southerners by now, but it's like every Northerner picked that one thing to assimilate to. Sure, leave the good pizza back in New York and please, drive like there couldn't possibly be anyone else in a hurry anywhere else in the state.

And to be nice, I didn't hate the weather. The summer didn't bother me much and the winter was a refreshing change from having been in the Northeast my entire life.

I did find it weird that there weren't a lot of ice cream stands around. Sure, you'd see a DQ or something from time to time, but I can think of a dozen local shops super easily around me now and we're practically permafrost 6 months of the year.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
Charlotte, which is probably majority NOT "real" southerners by now, but it's like every Northerner picked that one thing to assimilate to. Sure, leave the good pizza back in New York
My sister moved to Macon in around 82 or so and settled in Charlotte a bit later and she is still considered a Northerner.

Also, I've had some darn good pizza at Wolfman's.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I recently spoke to a northerner who had moved down here to be closer to her daughter. She complained that it's always too cold indoors because everyone has the AC running all the time.
I had this experience in India. Freaking 45 C outside in Gujarat state, and the body shop office was maintained at 16 C.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
I truly do not find one single likable thing about the South. Not the climate, not the culture, not the nothing.
I think that pretty much sums up my mindset. There are a handful of exceptions, but that's only for tourism purposes and only between the months of November and April.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:56 PM

I've noticed that people here love to southsplain everything to you. Because I am from the north, I can't possibly understand what sweet tea is, or fire ants, or the precise and only true and correct way to prepare any food that is southern in origin, or that everyone says "parking deck" instead of "parking garage".

The one that annoys me is that for some reason you're expected to say excuse me if you come within twelve feet of a person coming from the opposite direction. Where I'm from, you only apologize if you actually bump into someone.

Also, that southern hospitality thing really is shallow and fake.

The winters here are fantastic, though. So is the barbecue.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
I've noticed that people here love to southsplain everything to you. Because I am from the north, I can't possibly understand what sweet tea is, or fire ants, or the precise and only true and correct way to prepare any food that is southern in origin, or that everyone says "parking deck" instead of "parking garage".

The one that annoys me is that for some reason you're expected to say excuse me if you come within twelve feet of a person coming from the opposite direction. Where I'm from, you only apologize if you actually bump into someone.

Also, that southern hospitality thing really is shallow and fake.

The winters here are fantastic, though. So is the barbecue.
Not a fan, then?
Old 09-18-2019, 05:20 PM

Around about 1987, my wife and I decided to move to Florida. We couldn't afford to buy a house in the Boston area, so figured we'd be able to down there. Come to find out, the only place I could find work paid about 25% of what I had been making up north. But that wasn't the worst part. The worst part was when I was told, if you're the first one here in the morning, make sure to shoo the snakes away from the front door.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:29 AM

I'll be one that pushes back on the whole "Southern Hospitality doesn't really exist" crowd. I have found it to be real and genuine. You don't get as many people smiling or saying hello to you randomly on the street up North as you do down here. For introverts it may be Hellish to have a cashier try to engage you in conversation, but I find it pretty nice myself.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
Charlotte, which is probably majority NOT "real" southerners by now, but it's like every Northerner picked that one thing to assimilate to. Sure, leave the good pizza back in New York...
Several good places in Charlotte that have good "real pizza" like what one could find in the NYC metro area. I'm a pizza snob and I've found them to be not only authentic, but "right on the money".

Due Amiche, Da Vinci's, Amalfi, Ciro's, Brooklyn South, and Luigi's.

Heck, even 'Fuel Pizza' is pretty good, for a quasi-chain.

Last edited by BrickBat; 09-19-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 PM

There might be good pizza now but there was a dearth of it when I was there. I forgot about Ciro's though. That place is amazing and might be the best Italian-American food I've had.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:32 PM

Born and raised in northern NJ. Lived and worked in Manhattan for many years. Moved to Charlotte in 2004. In general, I love it here. Things are clean and new. Taxes are ridiculously low. People are friendly. Food options are much better than when I arrived (I just ate a phenomenal bahn mi sandwich last night.) However... people here think using the car horn is like yelling "eff you!" A four-way stop is harder than the SATs. In some circles, ignorance is a badge of honor. Racism isn't hidden. So..it's a give and take.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:21 PM

Moved from upstate New York to Fort Worth, TX to Salt Lake City, UT. Loved Utah, hated Texas.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
Born and raised in northern NJ. ... Moved to Charlotte in 2004. ... people here think using the car horn is like yelling "eff you!".
I'm not from NJ, so I've got to ask: is that a nice, casual "eff you"? In Michigan, that's a major insult among stranger (and just banter among friends). I guess I'm asking, is using the car horn in Charlotte kind of like a last resort, or something people drop casually?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'll be one that pushes back on the whole "Southern Hospitality doesn't really exist" crowd. I have found it to be real and genuine. You don't get as many people smiling or saying hello to you randomly on the street up North as you do down here. For introverts it may be Hellish to have a cashier try to engage you in conversation, but I find it pretty nice myself.
The objective fact is more people (strangers) acknowledging you and trying to talk, and more dicey, asking personal questions. The subjective part is how you like that or what you infer about their 'true' motives. I think you have to be especially careful making firm statements about the last one, though. But I'm generally with the side that isn't so positive about 'Southern friendliness'. In fairness though I lived in Southern California for a few years and also thought 'we're real laid back here in CA' was mainly phony also. Same thing, not saying it's from bad motives necessarily, just a form of shallow surface behavior people get inculcated into that doesn't mean much and it can be annoying if they claim it does. I felt the same about 'we're extremely polite here' when I lived in Japan for that matter.

But I'm a pretty dyed in wool NY'er, multi-generation, so strong seat of the pants sense that 'normal' behavior is NY behavior. I realize that's a feeling or opinion not a fact. Of 'foreign' places I've lived (anywhere outside NY that is ) I found the way people related to me in South Korea more on my NY wavelength than Japan or even in some ways than LA or the South in my own country.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I'm not from NJ, so I've got to ask: is that a nice, casual "eff you"? In Michigan, that's a major insult among stranger (and just banter among friends). I guess I'm asking, is using the car horn in Charlotte kind of like a last resort, or something people drop casually?
Don't know about that ex-NJ Charlotte person but I've lived in NJ many years (though right near NY which is still where I consider myself 'from') and IME it's only in fiction that it's not a big deal in northern NJ to say 'f you' to a stranger. So I guess they're saying honking your horn is a big deal in NC.

That said, there's also that factor of fictionalized exaggerations of NY area norms which some people from outside the area seem to take at face value, plus the general variation among individuals. Lifelong from this area, I never honk at people except to warn of an emergency, or the lightest tap if they don't get going when the light turns green in say 5 or 10 seconds (because they're texting, usually), not after the 'smallest measurable quantum of time' as the joke goes, which I admit is pretty common around here.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
Born and raised in northern NJ. Lived and worked in Manhattan for many years. Moved to Charlotte in 2004. In general, I love it here. Things are clean and new. Taxes are ridiculously low. People are friendly. Food options are much better than when I arrived (I just ate a phenomenal bahn mi sandwich last night.) However... people here think using the car horn is like yelling "eff you!" A four-way stop is harder than the SATs. In some circles, ignorance is a badge of honor. Racism isn't hidden. So..it's a give and take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I don't want to put words in Southern Yankee's mouth, but I believe he is saying that people of the south take exception to having a car horn honked at them, the same as if one yelled a hearty "F you!". In other words, horn honking generally occurs less here.

As far as 4-way stops, I agree that they can be frustrating. It's not so much that people don't "get it" as much as they are trying to be nice. Southerners do need to learn that the key to good traffic flow is not to be polite, but be predictable.

Last edited by Doctor Jackson; 09-20-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
the culture (Atlanta is very different than... oh, even 10 miles outside of city limits), even the weather.
It is. I don't go OTP unless I have to. (yes, I know there are some good people, but I like my Decatur bubble, tyvm)
Old 09-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Does South Dakota count? Best thing is no state income taxes.

I dont think I can take the heat in the south especially places like Dallas Texas. Alabama was ok. Florida, to me, the only thing it has good going for it is the proximity to major theme parks and the oceans.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
I don't want to put words in Southern Yankee's mouth, but I believe he is saying that people of the south take exception to having a car horn honked at them, the same as if one yelled a hearty "F you!". In other words, horn honking generally occurs less here.

As far as 4-way stops, I agree that they can be frustrating. It's not so much that people don't "get it" as much as they are trying to be nice. Southerners do need to learn that the key to good traffic flow is not to be polite, but be predictable.
Exactly what I was trying to get across, Doctor Jackson.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Doctor Jackson and Southern Yankee, thanks for clarifying. I spent five years in China, and the use of the horn there is a requirement for getting a drivers license, so I was a little unsure.

Even here in Michigan, though, I tend to restrain myself from the horn. Today I was behind an idiot who wouldn't turn on red (no sign prohibiting such), and I held back. I. Held. Back.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
MD is definitely not the south. The sweet tea line goes through the middle of Virginia.
Yeah, but some say Maryland fried chicken is the best fried chicken you can get. Iíve seen ďMaryland chickenĒ as a SYNONYM for pan-fried chicken.

Iím a total Yankee, spent my whole life in Cleveland, New England, and New York City, but Iíve traveled throughout the Southeast and as far west in the South as Missouri. Itís okay to visit, and if I lived there Iíd slice my wrists within the week.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Born in Michigan and lived in Minneapolis and Columbus, OH before moving to Nashville. I like Nashville - There's enough seasonal change to let you have a Spring and a Fall. I like most of the Southerners. Honestly, I think you're going to be as happy as you let yourself be. A person with a bad attitude can always find something to complain about.

StG