Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM

Short Skirts in 1970's/80's junior high and high school. What hosiery did they wear?

A thread in Cafe got me to thinking about my Junior High and High School years.

I lived in a pretty conservative small town. A lot of the girls in my junior high wore **short skirts with opaque hose. It wasn't revealing at all. Most of the parents were fine with it. I don't remember any controversy at school. We didn't have a detailed dress code. Any "appropriate" clothing was fine for all students.

I felt a little sorry for the girls on cold days. They shivered a lot for fashion.

Maxi dresses got popular for a year or two in my high school years. Then it drifted back to above the knee skirts. I think the hose was semi opaque. It still didn't show much. Short skirts at school were an optical illusion in my town.

How do you remember short skirts in junior high school? Were opaque hose expected? How about high school?

IIRC college girls and adults wore sheer hosiery.

**short skirts - were two or three inches above the knee. Nothing extreme.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-21-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:32 PM

Dates were a different story. Some of the girls in my high school wore sheer hose. If, their parents allowed it.

It varied from girl to girl. Some were pretty conservative and stuck to jeans. My high school gf wore jeans on dates unless we were going to a school dance.

I remember the lead of our school theatre play refused to wear a costume that made her uncomfortable. The teacher gave it to a different student. She studied dance and was more accustomed to costumes.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-21-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post

I lived in a pretty conservative small town. A lot of the girls in my junior high wore **short skirts with opaque hose. It wasn't revealing at all. Most of the parents were fine with it. I don't remember any controversy at school. We didn't have a detailed dress code. Any "appropriate" clothing was fine for all students.

I felt a little sorry for the girls on cold days. They shivered a lot for fashion.

Maxi dresses got popular for a year or two in my high school years. Then it drifted back to above the knee skirts. I think the hose was semi opaque. It still didn't show much. Short skirts at school were an optical illusion in my town.

How do you remember short skirts in junior high school? Were opaque hose expected? How about high school?

Im a guy, but went to a Catholic high school

In grade nine the kilts were well below the knee's by probably two inches, but as 10 and 11 past those kilts started to approach the mason dixon line. I believe the school uniform policy was knee high socks, but can remember girls wearing black or white hose. Outside school time, it was ususally Jordache or similar jeans, not many mini or micro skirts outside halloween.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

In the seventies we got to wear pants for the first time, so for awhile the big deal was making sure we weren't wearing jeans. Yes, the rule was "dress pants" only, at least at first. I think there was some discussion about how to decide whether corduroy pants were jeans or not.

Girls in skirts mostly wore regular panty hose. Parents sometimes required opaque hose or tights.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:11 PM

I wore alot of leotards and tights under my clothes because i would have dance class right after school. I was probably an odd ball. My sisters wore lots & lots of panty hose. If I had a dress on for an occasion or church I wore panty hose. But short mini skirts were not usual at church.
The lil'wrekker had many, many more dress code rules. Skirts were required to be one dollar length above the knee or longer. No leggings. No sleeveless tops. No capris pants. No torn jeans. No tee shirts with logos. No super highheels. No sandles No shorts No bra straps or thong straps showing. No rainbow colors in your hair. Probably more I've forgotten

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-21-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:28 PM

Panty hose, or just bare legs. California in the 70's, and it never got particularly cold where we were in the Bay Area.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I wore alot of leotards and tights under my clothes because i would have dance class right after school. I was probably an odd ball. My sisters wore lots & lots of panty hose. If I had a dress on for an occasion or church I wore panty hose. But short mini skirts were not usual at church.
The lil'wrekker had many, many more dress code rules. Skirts were required to be one dollar length above the knee or longer. No leggings. No sleeveless tops. No capris pants. No torn jeans. No tee shirts with logos. No super highheels. No sandles No shorts No bra straps or thong straps showing. No rainbow colors in your hair. Probably more I've forgotten
My wife set the rules for our daughters. I remember the dollar rule. The girls didn't wear makeup until they were 15.

I might have been more lenient. I knew better than to question any of my wife's rules.

You have to pick your battles carefully in a marriage. That's one I knew wasn't worth it.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Panty hose, or just bare legs. California in the 70's, and it never got particularly cold where we were in the Bay Area.
A lot of girls had a California beach tan and didn't need hose.

I miss that look. But, skin cancer is just too big of a risk.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I'm a man wearing normal length (not short) shorts for my body and I'd describe how my shorts sit the same way, maybe even 5-6 inches above the knee while sitting down. Yeah, in the early 90s I wore baggy clothing including shorts that were knee length. For me, short skirts on women (back then and now) pretty much had no inseam, maybe 3-4 inches and well above the knee. At some point my school (mid-late 90s) did the fingertip test thing, which for most girls was well above the knee still. Not much hosiery in my era, unless it was during specific fashion trends.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:24 PM

In my high school fishnet stockings were the standard with mini skirts.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:30 PM

I went to a Catholic elementary school, but it went through 8th grade -- i.e. the first two grades of junior high. We had to wear a skirt/blouse/cardigan uniform, but I can remember we'd roll our waistbands. Something the nuns kept an eagle eye out for! Skirts got SUPER short in high school, though for a while they had the "skirt must touch the floor when you're kneeling" rule. I was also in southern California, and we were more worried about being too hot than being too cold. I mostly went bare-legged, rarely wore panty hose -- hated them -- but sometimes wore opaque tights for the "look." We'd go to Albert's Hosiery in Century City and buy dance tights and ballet flats. It was a very popular look.

As for modesty, we often had short shorts that matched our skirt or dress, so you didn't have to worry about how you were sitting or going upstairs.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
In my high school fishnet stockings were the standard with mini skirts.
Damn! I totally forgot about patterned (including fishnet) tights! I didn't like them much. They weren't comfortable. But my mom said only prostitutes wore fishnets, so I'd wear them occasionally just to bug her.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:36 PM

Looks like most of the girls usually wore jeans or slacks... here's my senior class picture. I'm in the third-to-last row, nine in from the right, looking like somebody dropped John Lennon into a prep school.

Man, I forgot how popular Dorothy Hamill was...
Old 09-21-2019, 10:02 PM

Hosiery??

In the 80s we wore our miniskirts with real tans in the summer and tanning bed tans in the cooler months. Never pantyhose or tights.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:35 AM

I went to junior high and high school in Illinois in the 70s. We wore pantyhose under our minis. At that time, only little elementary kids wore opaque tights, and none of us would have been caught dead in them. We had a dress code in junior high, and girls were not allowed to wear pants. I walked about 12 blocks home and yes, I froze. It was a relief to get to high school, where we could wear pants.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
My wife set the rules for our daughters. I remember the dollar rule. The girls didn't wear makeup until they were 15.

I might have been more lenient. I knew better than to question any of my wife's rules.

You have to pick your battles carefully in a marriage. That's one I knew wasn't worth it.
15?!?! Yeesh, your wife was strict. Most of my friends started playing around with make-up when we were 12. And that was almost thirty years ago.

Damn.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:

Kind of creepy asking us to reminisce about what girls wore on their legs under their short skirts in junior/senior high.

Last edited by needscoffee; 09-22-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:38 AM

Socks and, in the winter, leotardos (woolly tights). But we were quite conservative re. skirt length: the mid-thighs my niece now wears would have caused earthquakes, whether it was at the Nuns (aaah, that plaid!) or at the public high school (whose female students were much more likely to wear jeans than any kind of skirt).
Old 09-22-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Looks like most of the girls usually wore jeans or slacks... here's my senior class picture. I'm in the third-to-last row, nine in from the right, looking like somebody dropped John Lennon into a prep school.

Man, I forgot how popular Dorothy Hamill was...
Dang, dude. You had some serious facial hair for a teen.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
15?!?! Yeesh, your wife was strict. Most of my friends started playing around with make-up when we were 12. And that was almost thirty years ago.
Mrs. Aceplace may have been super-strict about makeup, but she apparently had no problem with piercings.
Quote:
I took my daughter to get her belly button pierced in the 90's.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:18 AM

For the dress code of my early-mid 80's class you'd have to consult three very different references: Any Willie Nelson video, wardrobe from the movie Purple Rain, and The Preppy Handbook. I was in the socks-match-my-izod-shirt camp.

We went through a lot of panty hose, sheer or opaque, but also knit stockings and even cabled knits in the Winter time. For while there Madonna (or Sheils E. ?) made ripped tights The Thing. But honestly, you'd see a lot more prairie skirts than minis; it was the age of Gunne Sax.

The boys were jerks and would pull your skirt up, so most of us also wore shorts underneath regardless.

Last edited by TruCelt; 09-22-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:18 AM

When I was in grade school in the early 70's we wore pants. There was one girl who had very conservative parents who made her wear a skirt every day. We felt sorry for her. My mother tried to make me wear a skirt to school one day and I cried until she relented and let me wear pants. The humiliation of showing up to school in a skirt for anything other than picture day would have been unbearable. If I had worn a skirt around that time it would have been knee socks or leotards underneath.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Dang, dude. You had some serious facial hair for a teen.
Shhhh. I think he was held back a few years. Appears he's in his mid twenties.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
Mrs. Aceplace may have been super-strict about makeup, but she apparently had no problem with piercings.

We never considered a piercing a big deal for an older teen. Belly buttons are usually covered by clothing. There are exceptions but the people at school & church didn't see the piercing. There's certainly more rebellious things a teen could explore. We got off pretty lucky with our daughters.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-22-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:56 AM

My parents would've flipped their lids before letting me get a belly-button piercing. Where did you go to church? I mean, when I started wearing make-up, I was still at a CATHOLIC SCHOOL, and they didn't say anything. We wore those butt-ugly uniforms and everything.

Yeesh.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 09-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Went to junior high in the 1970s ( yes that’s what we called it) in Nebraska. Our skirts could not be higher than the knee cap. Wore knee high socks. Not allowed to wear jeans or pants. In Detroit where I went to High School we couldn’t ware minis. But we wore those bell bottoms. Then Madison, Wisconsin mid seventies jeans. So cool man
Old 09-22-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Kind of creepy asking us to reminisce about what girls wore on their legs under their short skirts in junior/senior high.
Only if you make the creepy assumption that talking about fashion must be sexual.

Last edited by BigT; 09-22-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

By the time I was in high school (1974-78) in a suburb just south of Cleveland, young ladies’ fashion had gone almost completely over to tight blue jeans.

On occasions when short skirts (or any skirts) were worn, I am pretty sure they went for non-opaque pantyhose. Bare legs were worn with shorts only.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Only if you make the creepy assumption that talking about fashion must be sexual.
You tell ‘im!

As a teenaged boy, I was a keen observer of teenaged girls, and I won’t have my expertise belittled.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 09-22-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
You really can't imagine old guys talking about mini skirts on pre-teen girls could ever be salacious, huh?

Defensive, perhaps.

Anyway the conversation seems to be pretty ordinary right now, but the OP did make me twitch some.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:38 AM

In my school, the girls mothers bought uniform skirts for them when they entered year 7, at age 12-13, with room to grow into. They wore those skirts for the next 5 years. And for sport the girls were still wearing the shifts their mothers had bought, but now with bikini bottoms instead of culottes.

No hosiery was worn.

We were generally pretty innocent, and I was exceptionally innocent. And it was the 70's.
I think I remember that in the final year (yr 12), we'd all stopped wearing the uniform, and were studying, not playing sport.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:39 AM

board seems to be having problems

Last edited by Melbourne; 09-23-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:34 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Anyway the conversation seems to be pretty ordinary right now, but the OP did make me twitch some.
Given some of the OP's past thread topics about adolescent female sexuality, it made me twitch some too.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:52 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I graduated in '72, and in our district, girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school till my senior year. Once I got out of 8th grade (and out of Catholic school) I wasn't about to wear socks - they were for babies!! So it was panty hose unless it was really cold, then it was flesh-colored tights.

All these years later, I can't remember the last time I wore panty hose - maybe 15 years? And the last dress I wore was 3 or 4 years ago when my niece married. All hail jeans, socks, and sneaks!
Old 09-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Given some of the OP's past thread topics about adolescent female sexuality, it made me twitch some too.
Whoops...I’d forgotten about that.

He’s not whackin’ off to this, is he?
Old 09-23-2019, 05:49 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post

why are you asking me?

Old 09-23-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post

Do you really want to know?
Old 09-23-2019, 07:43 PM

It's a vintage fashion thread.

The early seventies was a transition from skirts to jeans. It's part of my childhood and it's interesting to reminisce.

This was inspired by the Marcia Brady Bunch thread in Cafe. That show and the Partridge Family were another big part of my generations childhood.

The costumes they wore were classic early 70's fashion. Slightly exaggerated for tv.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-23-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
It's a vintage fashion thread.

The early seventies was a transition from skirts to jeans. It's part of my childhood and it's interesting to reminisce.

This was inspired by the Marcia Brady Bunch thread in Cafe. That show and the Partridge Family were another big part of my generations childhood.

The costumes they wore were classic early 70's fashion. Slightly exaggerated for tv.
So, is that a "yes" or a "no"?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:28 AM

I went to high school in the early 1970s. A lot of the girls dressed like Marcia Brady and it was nearly always sheer pantyhose under their minis. I don't recall ever seeing bare legs in school and I don't think shorts were allowed because I don't remember any girls wearing them, and it would have been unheard of for boys to wear shorts to school. Both genders were free to wear jeans when they wanted. Most girls probably wore skirts or dresses 1-2 days a week and jeans otherwise. For the guys, it was nothing but jeans. I think in the 1960s, girls in our elementary school were finally allowed to wear pants to school, before that skirts and dresses were mandatory.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
So, is that a "yes" or a "no"?
Obviously No

Trips down memory lane are G rated
Old 09-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Trips down memory lane are G rated
Heh, you'd better avoid the dark alleys of my memory lane!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
The early seventies was a transition from skirts to jeans.
That's what I recall. In Jr. High School in the early 70s the girls wore stockings that would frequently run. At some point maxi-skirts became the thing so I have no idea if they had anything on their legs. By High School the girls wore jeans mostly, the occasional skirt seemed to be worn with bare legs.