Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1151  
Old 01-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 27,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I'm going to defend this, because I absolutely did believe the transformation. The reason is simple; I have no reason to think William is a nice guy.
I agree. A lot of my patients (convicted felons all) present themselves like young William. And some have shown themselves to be more like the Man in Black.
  #1152  
Old 01-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,245
I was very disappointed in one limited way—the silly trope of magical typing being the way to make computers things happening.

When Lutz the android surgeon was working ha s to b come an android programmer, he pulled out his little sparrow, set it on the bench and started typing.

After a couple of lines, the android sparrow twitches. After a little more typing a wing flaps, then drops again.

What the fuck kind of programming is this supposed to be? What is he supposed to be typing? It's not like he finishes writing a subroutine, adds it to the code and then checks to see if it works. It's like he's writing commands or lines of a screenplay and some of them randomly decide to work in a series of dramatic steps.

It's really more like spell casting rather than programming.
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.
  #1153  
Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post





I'm going to defend this, because I absolutely did believe the transformation. The reason is simple; I have no reason to think William is a nice guy.

Tell me; how is William a nice person?

I have no reason to believe that William is either a nice guy or a "nice guy" (which itself has become a popular trope that I have much skepticism about.)

Neither do I have reason to believe that just under the surface he is an intensely cruel man who takes pleasure in committing horrific cruelties.


Quote:
Show me a shred of evidence that William COULDN'T be the Man in Black,
I have no obligation to do that. It's the show's obligation to reveal to me an arc of behavior that has the feel of a truthful arc of development.

"Breaking Bad" did that very skillfully with Walter White. It slowly stripped away his meek surface and revealed the rage and ambition below.

That didn't happen with William in a way that made me feel that the transformation was happening in a way that brought me along with it.



Quote:
1. Do we know the Man in Black/Williams is a bad person? He seems happy to kill robots, but I don't think he believes robots feel or remember.
The androids are so much like people, their expressions of suffering is so much like the suffering of real people, and the physical reality of interacting with a host is so much like interacting with a real person that it's inconceivable to me that someone who is okay with or takes pleasure in killing, torturing, raping, etc., a host is any different than someone who takes pleasure in or is okay with doing that to real people.

So yeah he may have the self-control not to behave that way outside the park, but he is basically a murderer, rapist, etc., basically a cruel, violent man.

And that's what his wife and daughter must have sensed in him. From their point of view, it's no different than having a family member who is secretly a psychopathic killer.

And perhaps that is what your point No. 2 was getting at?
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.
  #1154  
Old 01-24-2017, 09:09 PM
SenorBeef is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 28,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I was very disappointed in one limited way—the silly trope of magical typing being the way to make computers things happening.

...

It's really more like spell casting rather than programming.
I mean.. he could've just been running some functions or programs that he'd already designed. That seems extremely nitpicky. Would you be happy if we saw a 2 minute long montage of him typing?

Last edited by SenorBeef; 01-24-2017 at 09:09 PM.
  #1155  
Old 01-24-2017, 09:22 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I mean.. he could've just been running some functions or programs that he'd already designed. That seems extremely nitpicky. Would you be happy if we saw a 2 minute long montage of him typing?


I would have them skip the typing altogether and just show him triggering subroutines that either worked or failed.

Or, type something brief, pause, run it and see what happened. Not continuous typing that slowly built up dramatically.

What they showed was a milder version of "Two Idiots, One Keyboard"— https://youtu.be/1Y2zo0JN2HE
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.
  #1156  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:01 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,245
A question– what was the significance of the death of the dog?
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.
  #1157  
Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 AM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 41,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
So yeah he may have the self-control not to behave that way outside the park, but he is basically a murderer, rapist, etc., basically a cruel, violent man.

And that's what his wife and daughter must have sensed in him. From their point of view, it's no different than having a family member who is secretly a psychopathic killer.

And perhaps that is what your point No. 2 was getting at?
Exactly. What does Logan keep telling William? It's just a game. They're not real. And 99% of the time it seems he's right; they're just machines, and they're cleaned up and feel fine the next day.

After all, the reason we abhor murder is its permanence. If I murder Steve, Steve is gone forever. He will never enjoy anything again; his family will never have him again. As they said in another western, you take away everything he has and everything he's ever gonna have. And it's worse than that, because you steal the victim from their loved ones. But in Westworld, if you kill Steve, he's right back the next day as if it never happened. It's like Valhalla.

William - and we see a few other examples of this, like the big doofus who shoots Hector - does not suddenly go completely batshit crazy the moment he's in the park, though, to use a gaming term, you totally could. There's nothing stopping a guest from shooting every single host they see the moment they step onto the train and basically griefing Stillwater and "killing" everything that moves and leaving the whole town bereft of anything except the guests. You could step off the train and think "Let's see if I can kill every single host in Stillwater in fifteen minutes" and give it a go. But we don't see anyone do that. Even Logan, who's been there before and is the devil on William's shoulder, generally acts out his part sanely. Instead, William is pulled into being a violent asshole by his obsession with Dolores and the path that takes him on. His first mass murder of of the Confederales or whomever they were, and that was in response to them participating in what he believes might be Dolores's murder.

I honestly think that if you could create Westworld that's what would happen. Most people want to be white hats - hell, I don't like playing the bad guy in video games, and those are video games. I feel bad making dark side choices in "Knights of the Old Republic," for God's sake. You'd get the odd griefer, but I am sure they'd find a way to stop that. Most people would step off the train and would act in an essentially normal fashion, looking to screw some whores and have some adventures - but in time, I think their behaviour would degrade. Just as you tend to start getting bored of the quests in GTA and decide "let's see how many pedestrians I can run over" I suspect that at about Day 6 of your jaunt into Westworld a lot of people would think "do I wanna go on a narrative today, or should I see how many hosts I can behead with an axe before the management stops me?" And you're right - there is a frightening similarity between that and really killing people in Westworld that doesn't exist in GTA. This level of virtual reality is, in my purely humble opinion, a dangerous bypass around the superego.

I actually like to think that there's something of a feminist statement hiding in there. Note how many people tell William/MIB "the Maze is not for you." The message is said, over and over again, "Dude, this isn't about you." The story of Westworld is not William's story... it's Dolores's. By default, the average viewer (not everyone, so don't take this personally, but please do think about it) thinks of any cinematic story in terms of the motivations and perspective of the male hero; that's as aspect of the male gaze, which is absolutely a thing. The not-so-subtle point being made in the show is that William is a living embodiment of that; he feels right to the end that the park and its story are about him. He is the central character, the person who''l finish the ultimate quest. And when he gets there... sorry, pal, all that's here is a kid's toy, it was never about you. It was always about the hosts and their voyage towards consciousness. William doesn't even understand what happened.
  #1158  
Old 01-25-2017, 10:19 AM
TimeWinder is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany/Corvallis, OR
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The story of consciousness arising in Westworld is pretty much the best story you can possibly tell. There is nowhere to go from the end of Episode 10 that will be better.
Right off the top of my head, I can think of two: First: At the moment, we've got hosts that have "awakened" and hosts that haven't. In a very real sense, we've got people who are dealing with reality, and those who are dealing with a world of lies created for them by powerful masters. How do they interact? It's never been more timely -- look for the parallels to reality vs. "fake news" and people struggling against powerful deceptions, and explore it in fiction.

Second and more immediately: There are humans in the park (possibly lots of them), and the rules have just changed. The slaves are now the masters: how do they deal with their former oppressors? Dolores seems to have chosen mass murder - does that make her good or bad? What about the others? The hosts now have the white hat/black hat choice, and the stakes are way higher than they were before.
  #1159  
Old 01-28-2017, 08:12 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,245
So what's the verdict on Maeve? Was she just acting on script? Or was she acting independently? Or was the escape scripted and her changing her mind not scripted?
  #1160  
Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,245
Did Sylvester survive? I can't recall.
  #1161  
Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 AM
LVBoPeep is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
So what's the verdict on Maeve? Was she just acting on script? Or was she acting independently? Or was the escape scripted and her changing her mind not scripted?
I thought she was acting on the script until she decided to go back to find her daughter. At least, I hope so because otherwise the story isn't very interesting if the hosts aren't developing some kind of AI.
  #1162  
Old 01-28-2017, 11:40 AM
up_the_junction is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: South London
Posts: 4,746
This report came out this week from one of the world's top 2 think tanks:

https://www.chathamhouse.org/publica...future-warfare
  #1163  
Old 01-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
...There are humans in the park (possibly lots of them), and the rules have just changed. The slaves are now the masters: how do they deal with their former oppressors? Dolores seems to have chosen mass murder - does that make her good or bad? ...
It seems worth noting that we don't actually have evidence that Dolores murdered any humans at all.

Look at the scene again and you'll see a lot of shots of Dolores firing; a lot of reaction shots of known-Hosts watching with approval; and ONE shot, blurred, of a red dot appearing on the back of a female-appearing character---who may or may not be a living human being.

That is all.

The Internet has acres of bandwidth of discussion about Dolores having committing a mass shooting of human beings---and no evidence from the film itself that she did so.

So..........there's that.
  #1164  
Old 01-28-2017, 06:07 PM
TimeWinder is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany/Corvallis, OR
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
The Internet has acres of bandwidth of discussion about Dolores having committing a mass shooting of human beings---and no evidence from the film itself that she did so.
OK, I'll grant some of that (and it's a hijack to my actual point), but that scene is certainly meant to imply that she did--and barring a very lame dodge, we know she killed Ford.

I think that taking it at face value until shown otherwise is the best we can do at the moment. I'd even go so far as to say that there's more evidence in that scene that she did shoot a lot of people than that she didn't. We saw her kill someone, then fire into a crowd with deliberation, and at least one "person" was hit. I'd argue it's a heck of a stretch to call that "no evidence."

Last edited by TimeWinder; 01-28-2017 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Fix quote tags, of course.
  #1165  
Old 01-28-2017, 08:22 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 22,653
I am also very much in the camp that William could become the MiB but that the show skipped showing any believable arc, made even less believable by the completely different vocal and behavioral mannerisms of the characters. As I argued earlier in this thread, it is somewhat forgivable on the grounds that the point of the plot is as it was for The Maze: it is not for him. This is the hosts' story. The twist that mattered to the show runners was that Dolores was trapped in memories and finding her way, not out, but to the center. His twist was in service of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
... 1. The one thing that kind of pulled me out of my suspension of disbelief from time to time was the economics of the parl; it's simply impossible for me to believe Westworld has survived as a business enterprise for 30 years. ...
While of course we have no idea what the ongoing operating costs would be given a sunk investment, the storyline clearly implies that the the investors are seeing the losses as an R&D expense for some other intellectual property application that they consider more than big enough to justify the ongoing losses.

The nature of that application is of course one of the unanswered questions that we expect will be eventually revealed.


I would agree that "Dolores seems to have chosen mass murder ..." but "seems" is clearly the operative word. We know the show runners want to misdirect and surprise us.

So taking this interview with the required grain of salt we are hearing that the plot continues to explore how the new species develops. But the key line is Nolan's:
Quote:
I think with this show, you want to assume nothing.
Specific to Dolores:
Quote:
The question will be when the dust settles and the pendulum stops swinging, who will Dolores be?
The focus is on the hosts but I suspect have some new guests as characters whose perspectives we will follow too.
  #1166  
Old 01-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
OK, I'll grant some of that (and it's a hijack to my actual point), but that scene is certainly meant to imply that she did--and barring a very lame dodge, we know she killed Ford.
Fair enough--but I wouldn't put it past them to resort to the lame dodge you mention (it probably depends on contract negotiations with Sir Anthony).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
I think that taking it at face value until shown otherwise is the best we can do at the moment. I'd even go so far as to say that there's more evidence in that scene that she did shoot a lot of people than that she didn't. We saw her kill someone, then fire into a crowd with deliberation, and at least one "person" was hit. I'd argue it's a heck of a stretch to call that "no evidence."
Unless we see it happen, we shouldn't assume it happened (I'd argue). Other possibilities exist; perhaps Ford decided that true consciousness can't arise unless the mind in question believes it can choose to ignore rules and take forbidden action, in this case the killing of humans. 'An obedient mind is not a sentient/sapient mind' or some such thing.

But for that to work it wouldn't be necessary that said mind actually engage in the killing of humans--simply that it believe it has done so (and thus the 'people' in the crowd could all have been robots).

I'm not saying that this is what Nolan et al will do--I'm just saying that nothing we've seen would preclude it.
  #1167  
Old 01-29-2017, 09:57 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,699
Agreed. And I don't think it would be "lame dodge," necessarily - just one possible path the story might take as it leads us into the next season.
  #1168  
Old 01-30-2017, 08:47 AM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 41,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
I am also very much in the camp that William could become the MiB but that the show skipped showing any believable arc, made even less believable by the completely different vocal and behavioral mannerisms of the characters.
I admit the fact Jimmi Simpson and Ed Harris look nothing alike bothered me, too, and I'm not sure why they could not find an actor who looks a lot more like Ed Harris. I have nothing about Simpson personally, and he's a good actor, but he was a poor physical fit.

As to the arc, I am okay with it so far; I don't think we've seen the end of it. There's potentially a lot of that story left to tell.

Quote:
While of course we have no idea what the ongoing operating costs would be given a sunk investment, the storyline clearly implies that the the investors are seeing the losses as an R&D expense for some other intellectual property application that they consider more than big enough to justify the ongoing losses.
This is the way I wrote it off too, no pun intended. Man, though, this is one goddamn expensive test to run for thirty years.
  #1169  
Old 02-02-2017, 01:50 PM
aldiboronti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troynovant
Posts: 8,182
Hilarious skit on Westworld using some of the WW actors and Billy Crystal reprising his Mitch character from City Slickers.
  #1170  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
But that doesn't really make sense to me. The reason the hosts don't kill isn't because they aren't sentient, but because they are programmed not to. And MiB didn't seem particularly interested in sentience, after Logan cut open Dolores. (Again, I'm not sure why that had such a profound impact on him. I could guess--it's not necessarily implausible--but I'd rather be shown.) What he said he wanted was a challenge--a host that would fight back.

But he owns the fucking company! He could order them to build a special section with killbots for him to fight if he wanted to. That's why he's such an idiot. He never grasps that the robots are props that can be controlled, that their narratives are man-made. He thinks Ford and Arnold really are some sort of gods, whose narratives are simply given. It never occurs to him that he can tell them to change the narrative if he isn't satisfied with it. He could even tell them to pursue true sentience if that's what he wants. But instead he bought an entire company so he could play video games in his freetime without ever getting involved in the development. Who does that?
I think you're forgetting that he's the Man in Black. He's saying that he wants to have a good fight, but I think what he really wants is for Westworld to become real. He wants all the machines to gain sentience so that all the rape and murder is really meaningful. He wants them to go out and kill and rape everyone back as well. He wants chaos, just for the LOLz of it.

Killing dumb robots in a cage just isn't as interesting as having people being raped and murdered by sentient beings, free form style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Finally watched it, mostly unspoiled (have to remember not to look at Wikipedia!).

Very impressed by it, but it wasn't perfect. The biggest flaw was that I simply didn't believe the transformation of William into The Man in Black. No way.
I'm not sure why, but after purchasing the season on iTunes and hitting the "Yes" button when it asked, "Do you want to watch now?", it started to play the final episode. I didn't realize this fact. (I did think that they were really laying on the mystery, though, because they were introducing all of these things with no context and forcing you to keep swimming from there!)

About halfway through the episode, the stream glitched out so I started downloading the full episodes instead and when I went back in to watch "episode 1", and discovered what had happened. But so, I ended up watching the whole series knowing that Bernard was robo-Arnold and the MiB was William. And I knew that the William timeline was earlier than the Ford timeline.

So, watching the season, knowing that William will become the MiB, I would say that they did enough to demonstrate that he was pretty dark and did give a number of dialogue clues that he was the same character through the whole thing. I would agree that they could have used a bit more backstory on him, but it isn't out of whole cloth at the end.
  #1171  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:42 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,824
Watched this again. It made me a little sad about the absence of Bruno Kirby.
  #1172  
Old 04-02-2017, 07:53 AM
aldiboronti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troynovant
Posts: 8,182
Thread resurrected for this small hint by the makers about Season 2.

Quote:
The executive producers are remaining tight-lipped about the major story elements, but they did drop a little info regarding where Season 2 begins in the quote below:

"We are definitely not picking up right where we left off."
I wonder where the season will begin. And it was good to see elsewhere that Louis Herthum, who played Evan Rachel Wood's father, has been upped to a series regular in the upcoming season.
  #1173  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,699
Funny new HBO ad with some familiar faces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBe_A1-gKe0
  #1174  
Old 04-13-2017, 04:27 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Funny new HBO ad with some familiar faces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBe_A1-gKe0
I saw that earlier today--it seemed as though Westworld cast members were being given pride of place over Game of Thrones. Of course GoT is ending and Westworld could go on and one, but my impression is that so far, WW hasn't managed to pull in the numbers that GoT did.

(eta: watching it again, it doesn't seem so pro-WW as I'd thought on first viewing. Not that any of this means anything in particular!)

Last edited by Sherrerd; 04-13-2017 at 04:28 PM.
  #1175  
Old 04-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
...my impression is that so far, WW hasn't managed to pull in the numbers that GoT did....
I think you may be mistaken:

http://deadline.com/2016/12/westworl...es-1201864657/
http://www.businessinsider.com/westw...or-hbo-2016-12
http://www.polygon.com/tv/2016/11/15...g-dead-ratings
  #1176  
Old 04-14-2017, 07:15 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,951
There is a series called Humans on Channel 4 (in the UK) and AMC (in the US) that covers some of the same territory as Westworld; robots/artificial humans achieving consciousness. I actually prefer Humans. Westworld seemed to spend a lot of time being mysterious.
  #1177  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,699
Thanks - that does look interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humans_(TV_series)
  #1178  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,951
The second season just finished a few weeks ago, but you may be able to watch it via the cable company's On Demand service. And actually the series is based on another from Sweden.
  #1179  
Old 04-14-2017, 10:00 AM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Thanks - that does look interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humans_(TV_series)
It's very good.
  #1180  
Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,161
Thanks--I'm not sure why I'd thought WW was doing less well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
There is a series called Humans on Channel 4 (in the UK) and AMC (in the US) that covers some of the same territory as Westworld; robots/artificial humans achieving consciousness. I actually prefer Humans. Westworld seemed to spend a lot of time being mysterious.
Humans is very well-made and entertaining. If it had nudity, it might be as successful as is Westworld.
  #1181  
Old 04-14-2017, 06:26 PM
aldiboronti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troynovant
Posts: 8,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
There is a series called Humans on Channel 4 (in the UK) and AMC (in the US) that covers some of the same territory as Westworld; robots/artificial humans achieving consciousness. I actually prefer Humans. Westworld seemed to spend a lot of time being mysterious.
Its not bad at all but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Westworld. And of course it doesn't have Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris.
  #1182  
Old 04-23-2017, 10:21 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,414
I just subscribed to HBO Now via Amazon Prime on Monday, and finished the series today. It's been really intense watching this show over the course of a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
...It's been bothering me for a while that though the Arnold-created robot Ford family is in an area of Westworld that's off-limits for guests, they were still costumed (and their home themed) as being in the Old West...
I was thinking it looked more like a rural English cottage during the Interwar Period (ie the 1930s). The female was wearing a sweater and a mid-calf length dress that would be out of place in time period the park's designed to replicate (presumably the1870s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
I loved that too. And it also answered one of our questions about whether or not all of the workers were hosts.

We know that there is also a Samurai World or something of that nature. Are the people there going through the same awakening? I'd choose Summer of Love World if there was such a thing.
That scene with Felix was probably the funniest moment in the entire show.

I'm thinking Samurai/Sengoku World doesn't actually exist yet; it's something Delos Destinations has in the planning stages, but can't get off the ground because of strictly Ford controls everything. Given the extreme lengths they've had to go to smuggle data outside the park it's safe to assume he's never allow a park with anything close to the current generation of Hosts to operate offsite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Or she was just led to think she could make it to the mainland, in order to set her up with the choice: Go to the mainland, or go back into the park for your daughter. Ford's goal could have been just to put her in that situation to present her with that choice.
Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
...How do the robots cover up the slaughter of presumably some of the wealthiest and most prominent people on the planet? I guess they could replace them with robots but that was the exact plot of the lame Futureworld, the follow-up to the film Westworld and would be just as lame in this show...
If there smart they won't actually slaughter the VIPs en masse; they'll keep as many of them alive as long as possible. Not because of an elaborate plot to replace them with Hosts, but to use as hostages to prevent government authorities from bombing Westworld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
...I'm sure Logan will get picked up in the park long before he's in any real danger.

I think happens is word of the son of the owner of the park showing up naked is bound to get back to his father. Presumably Logan already has a bit of a reputation as a drunk and a womanizer so this is just more of his antics. So the head of Delos will leave the business to his stable hardworking son-in-law instead of his douche son.
..
I don't think Logan being found bound & naked by park staff would be enough to get him disinherited; I think he's dead. Also isn't else annoyed by the idea that William apparently inherited the family business in Logan's absence instead of his wife? Sure you can fanwank is her simply having no interest in the business, or being even more unsuited than her brother, but it still comes across as really sexist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Am I the only one that kinda hoped to see Caprica 6 in the party scene?
Yeah, that would've been funny, but only if she was immediately killed. I wonder if Tricia Helfer would be up for a cameo like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I was hoping that Maeve would stay on the train as it exited the park, as I want to see the outside world. One of the recaps (on EW.com, I think) said Robert said she would reach the "mainland" if she remained on the train. If that's the case is the park on an offshore island? And why is the train station so far below ground level? The elevator trip that she and Felix took seemed to take a really long time...
I suspect the producers will try to avoid revealing the outside world as much as possible, though we may get more bits & pieces in season 2. "Mainland" could just be jargon for the outside world, but if that was the actually ocean at the end that would suggest the park is really built on an island somewhere. Until that moment I thought the park was built somewhere isolated in the Southwest or Northern Mexico. The weather would certainly be a lot more stable than if they were on an inland in the Pacific, and I don't think we saw anything to suggest that the park staff could actually control the weather; which would be the case if the park had a dome over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I saw that as part of the hosts rise up narrative. Ford shut down the train systems as part of it to prevent easy reinforcements from the outside to shut down the park before the host rebellion did what it was supposed to do. Or to prevent the guests from leaving. (I'm guessing there may be a way to get in not using the train system, but it'd be a lot more difficult?)
Unless it's there's a dome over the park after all it should be accessible by aircraft if needed, but even then Delos might have even been able to get permission to operate is own air defence system that can be controlled from within the park (rather than rely on an outside military to enforce the no-fly zone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
It's not really - the control/reception centre is on a mesa, so the train exits at ground level in the surrounding terrain.
The period train going into the park exits at ground level; the modern train connecting the park to the outside wold could be underground (or underwater) for quite a distance, possibly it's entire course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
...like if an actual homesteader or madam from the 1800's traveled through time to the 21st century. But I'm guessing the next season will deal with more of that stuff.
That's a lot easier to explain than stuff like Maeve needing regular maintenance or a battery recharge. Once she had full access to the park's system she couldn't simply downloaded whatever she needed to know about the outside world into her systems. Of course she still wouldn't have money, a passport, or any outside identity unless Ford arranged some way of her getting that as part of his plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
The human would play the Teddy role. He's just there as a stand-in for the performance, so the board could witness the narrative.
Presumably their would also be a variant where a female guest wanting to play the damsel would take Dolores's role. Or a gay/lesbian guest wanting to play either role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBoPeep View Post
I thought she was acting on the script until she decided to go back to find her daughter. At least, I hope so because otherwise the story isn't very interesting if the hosts aren't developing some kind of AI.
Is it bad that I'm thinking what a shame it would be if she got back, searched the park's archives, only to discover the Host serving as her daughter had to be decommissioned & send to the incinerator after one of the Guests got really, really rough with her in her next build. There's been nothing to suggest there's any limit to what Guests are allowed to do to Hosts (even children or animals), with the possible exception of having to pay additional fees if the Host is damaged beyond repair.
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
  #1183  
Old 04-28-2017, 04:59 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 42,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post


It's hard for me to figure out what the end game is here. Sure the park is going to be closed down after a bunch of rampaging hosts wipe out the board. But they're also going to send in police, SWAT, maybe even the army to wipe out all the hosts.

I have to think Ford had something longer-term in mind than starting a short-lived robot/human war.
Yes, if Ford really wanted to have humans recognize his creations as fully alive, I can think of no worse way of doing it.
  #1184  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:29 PM
TYphoonSignal8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 309
I watched the final episode last night and I've flipped through some random pages on this thread.

There are many questions I have and which have been addressed more or less by the thoughtful speculations on this thread.

Here is an observation, though. I happened to not turn off the last episode while I was tidying up and getting ready for bed, and I saw the post-credit scene involving Armistice. (Now I have to go back and see if I have missed any other post-credit scenes!)

Armistice seems to work out that she feels no pain, when she uses her bloody big knife to apparently twitch a tendon in her hand and cause her machine gun to fire on the other side of the activated fire door. She then decides to hack her own forearm off, and with a look of delight in the revelation of feeling no pain, goes forth to hunt the (really ineffectual, as previously noted) security guards.

What was the purpose of this scene at this specific point, post-season's conclusion? I wonder if there are some metaphors in play. The maze is the show's writers way of saying to us as an audience, "Stop looking for meaning when there is none." And Armistice's scene at the end seems to say, "This is the coda for the season, and what the show is really all about."
  #1185  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:39 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 22,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonSignal8 View Post
I watched the final episode last night and I've flipped through some random pages on this thread.

There are many questions I have and which have been addressed more or less by the thoughtful speculations on this thread.

Here is an observation, though. I happened to not turn off the last episode while I was tidying up and getting ready for bed, and I saw the post-credit scene involving Armistice. (Now I have to go back and see if I have missed any other post-credit scenes!)

Armistice seems to work out that she feels no pain, when she uses her bloody big knife to apparently twitch a tendon in her hand and cause her machine gun to fire on the other side of the activated fire door. She then decides to hack her own forearm off, and with a look of delight in the revelation of feeling no pain, goes forth to hunt the (really ineffectual, as previously noted) security guards.

What was the purpose of this scene at this specific point, post-season's conclusion? I wonder if there are some metaphors in play. The maze is the show's writers way of saying to us as an audience, "Stop looking for meaning when there is none." And Armistice's scene at the end seems to say, "This is the coda for the season, and what the show is really all about."
I thought it was just having fun with a really bad ass character.
  #1186  
Old 06-06-2017, 11:47 PM
TYphoonSignal8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 309
She is indeed an awesome character. The look of delight when she uses a machine gun for the first time is superb.
  #1187  
Old 02-21-2018, 04:08 PM
MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,886
I've seen the original movie of course, but only caught a few episodes of the new series (visiting my mom who got HBO free for the weekend, I didn't have time to binge the whole thing after-hours, since *way* too off-color for her).

But I'm bumping this thread because...
Quote:
Last year at San Diego Comic-Con, HBO hosted Westworld: The Experience, an immersive activation that let guests visit the offices of Delos, Inc., thanks to some impressive set design and the performances of many committed actors. At this year’s SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, the network is upping that ante by recreating the series’s entire town of Sweetwater. SXSW is known its lavish brand activations, but this seems like a significant step up from past experiences.

Dubbed the “Live Without Limits Weekend,” the experience will run from March 9th through the 11th, serving as part of HBO’s marketing kickoff for Westworld’s second season. Series creators Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan are also taking part in a panel with several cast members during the SXSW festival. The new season is scheduled to premiere on April 22nd.

The two-hour activation will be spread out over two acres, with guests shuttled to the location via a “Delos shuttle” after checking in at a location in Austin. On-site, they will undergo an interview and evaluation process, similar to last year’s experience, and will receive either a black hat or a white one. At that point, they’ll be released into the re-creation of Sweetwater to explore. The location will include the show’s Coronado Hotel and Mariposa Saloon and will be populated with dozens of actors playing “hosts,” Westworld’s name for the robotic characters that roam its setting. Various clues and Easter eggs about the new season will be scattered throughout the area, and where a guest goes — or what they say to a given host — could potentially lead to new revelations.

If the traffic at Comic-Con was any indication, demand for the Westworld experience will be intense, but thankfully, this year, reservations will be available in advance on the Westworld website.
Learning about it less than an hour ago, I went online to see virtually all tickets already gone, got bumped a dozen times with "The tickets you selected are no longer available", but finally got it! So I'm going.

Will report back (hopefully w/pictures), and feel free to let me know if there's anything I should look out for...
  #1188  
Old 02-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,161
I hope that in addition to "an interview and evaluation process," there's also a metal detector. Because you know some people have enough trouble separating reality and fiction, that there could well be attempts to fully live the 'shoot anyone and face no consequences' aspect of the show.
__________________
__________________

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
  #1189  
Old 03-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,699
Did you have a good time, MovieMogul? Black hat or white?

Here's the S2 discussion thread: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=852039
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017