Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Trump stands by his 1989 call for execution of since-exonerated black NYC teens: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...case/23752317/

And again with the "both sides" idiocy!

Here's what I posted in the "reactions" section of the Yahoo! article:

Quote:
Well, what do you know? Trump got another one right. People are on both sides of this case. On one side (that of truth and justice) are those that recognize truth and know the evidence, thus realizing that the "Central Park 5" are absolutely innocent of this crime. On the other side, are irrational bigots like Trump.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Such a horrible place to visit, Trump's mind...
Can you imagine what it is like to be constantly running through it? Hillary must be exhausted.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Oh sorry. I thought your head was exploding. Ogod, getting inside his head. I remember the first time I ever made a jack o'lantern. The inside of that pumpkin was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen. I was afraid to stick my hand in there, even with a knife. A mostly hollow space but with those slimy strands hanging down and all those seeds. Actually, that's probably exactly what the inside of the Orange One's head is like. Ewwwww.
You come up with the best posts. The worst images (heave) but the best posts.

On rethinking, someone with more punkin carving skills than I needs to carve one with Donnie's visage and take a photo with the lid off, peering into the as yet unexcavated interior.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
You come up with the best posts.
Awww, thx. Here's a little smooch for you. <MWAH!>
Quote:
The worst images (heave) but the best posts.
Sometimes it gets ugly inside my head, too.
Quote:
On rethinking, someone with more punkin carving skills than I needs to carve one with Donnie's visage and take a photo with the lid off, peering into the as yet unexcavated interior.
Not exactly what you suggested (great idea, BTW!), but some pretty scary punkins anyway.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
... but some pretty scary punkins anyway.
Oh my! I wish I knew somebody with pumpkin-carving skills. I could really piss off the neighbors next Halloween.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Oh my! I wish I knew somebody with pumpkin-carving skills. I could really piss off the neighbors next Halloween.
Use the goop from inside (complete with seeds) for hair.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Use the goop from inside (complete with seeds) for hair.
That really clogged up the shower drain something fierce.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
Can you imagine what it is like to be constantly running through it? Hillary must be exhausted.
Her and John McCain's ghost.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Hmm...Cheetolini and ghosts: a subversion of A Christmas Carol with the Orange One as a Scrooge who doesn't give a shit. Somebody call Lorne Michaels!

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-20-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
You come up with the best posts. The worst images (heave) but the best posts.

How to convey the black hole within?
Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
How to convey the black hole within?
I guess you could spray the entire inside of the pumpkin with black paint.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Oh sorry. I thought your head was exploding. Ogod, getting inside his head. I remember the first time I ever made a jack o'lantern. The inside of that pumpkin was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen. I was afraid to stick my hand in there, even with a knife. A mostly hollow space but with those slimy strands hanging down and all those seeds. Actually, that's probably exactly what the inside of the Orange One's head is like. Ewwwww.
I hate to criticize one of my favorite posters, but I think you've missed the mark here. This sounds more like Reagan as described in Garry Trudeau's seminal work "In Search of Reagan's Brain." I imagine Trump's brain is more like what was described in "Being John Malkovich" - the only image in his brain is his own, the only word in his brain is his name. Both analogies are frightening, but only one describes the egotistical feedback loop that is Trump.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:50 PM

The "drone" that all the warmongers are trying to get us mad about that Iran shot down (perhaps in international air, perhaps over Iranian territory) is actually a 737-sized unmanned spy plane.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/bams-d...type-spy-plane
Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure why you put "drone" in quotes. An unmanned plane = drone, regardless of how big it is.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I'm not sure why you put "drone" in quotes. An unmanned plane = drone, regardless of how big it is.
Maybe because Chief Tinyhands is trying to get everyone to think Iran shot down a toy.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Because the idea of a drone is generally a small toy sized flying thing, not a plane the size of a 737.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
I hate to criticize one of my favorite posters, but I think you've missed the mark here. This sounds more like Reagan as described in Garry Trudeau's seminal work "In Search of Reagan's Brain." I imagine Trump's brain is more like what was described in "Being John Malkovich" - the only image in his brain is his own, the only word in his brain is his name. Both analogies are frightening, but only one describes the egotistical feedback loop that is Trump.
Funny you should say this, because I was pondering the question asked earlier re how to convey the black hole, and rather than painting the inside black, maybe the inner surface of the pumpkin could be lined with lots of little mirrors like those balls that hung over dance floors and rotated. Of course, the mirrored ball is convex, reflecting light outward. What the concave scrambled hall of mirrors would convey is the continuous reflecting and re-reflecting of... well, of basically nothing. Lots of nothing, just bouncing around inside this swampy cavern. The mirrors would have to be applied while somehow leaving the goopy pumpkin innards in place. Some conceptual artist or MFA student (at a libtard college, of course) needs to get on this...
Old 06-20-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Because the idea of a drone is generally a small toy sized flying thing, not a plane the size of a 737.
Well, there's civilian drones -- little flying cameras -- and military drones, that can launch missiles. Depends on what context comes to mind first.

I'd love to know the behind-the-scenes chaos in the White House right now. Bolton and Pompeo are probably arguing for a ground invasion, Desert Storm II. Trump is probably torn between knowing that there's nothing like a war to boost a president's poll numbers, and his general preference for bluster over action. Shoot, he's probably hoping that there's some way he can get a Nobel Prize out of this mess that he created.

Last edited by jsc1953; 06-20-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Well, there's civilian drones -- little flying cameras -- and military drones, that can launch missiles. Depends on what context comes to mind first.

I'd love to know the behind-the-scenes chaos in the White House right now. Bolton and Pompeo are probably arguing for a ground invasion, Desert Storm II. Trump is probably torn between knowing that there's nothing like a war to boost a president's poll numbers, and his general preference for bluster over action. Shoot, he's probably hoping that there's some way he can get a Nobel Prize out of this mess that he created.
Get real.

The most likely scenario is that Trump is currently looking at fabric swatches for curtains or seat covers for his new plane.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:12 PM

So Iran was flying one of their missiles in international airspace and a drone got in its way?
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
[Judge Stone] "That's not herb tea, that's Herb!"[/Judge Stone]
Thirty-five years since that show premiered....!!!

Quote:
His head almost certainly is extremely light in weight.

Dementia patients show severe atrophying of brain-matter----a sort of 'Swiss-cheesed' effect with lots of big holes.

Trump's head might weigh only a pound or two, even counting the hair-product.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:29 PM

Apologies if somebody else has brought this up. I haven't seen it in this thread or elsewhere.

Trump assures us that the drone was unmanned:

“I think probably Iran made a mistake,” he later said. “I would imagine it was a general or somebody that made a mistake in shooting that drone down. Fortunately, that drone was unarmed. There was no man in it and there was no — it was just — it was over international waters, clearly over international waters, but we didn’t have a man or woman in the drone. We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference. But I have a feeling, and it maybe wrong and I may be right, I’m right a lot. I have a feeling that it was a mistake made by somebody that shouldn’t have been doing what they did. I think they made a mistake. I’m not just talking the country made a mistake. I think somebody under the command of that country made a big mistake.”

You can watch the video here. It's at about the 6:55 mark.

Last edited by Railer13; 06-20-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Apologies if somebody else has brought this up. I haven't seen it in this thread or elsewhere.

Trump assures us that the drone was unmanned:

“I think probably Iran made a mistake,” he later said. “I would imagine it was a general or somebody that made a mistake in shooting that drone down. Fortunately, that drone was unarmed. There was no man in it and there was no — it was just — it was over international waters, clearly over international waters, but we didn’t have a man or woman in the drone. We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference. But I have a feeling, and it maybe wrong and I may be right, I’m right a lot. I have a feeling that it was a mistake made by somebody that shouldn’t have been doing what they did. I think they made a mistake. I’m not just talking the country made a mistake. I think somebody under the command of that country made a big mistake.”

You can watch the video here. It's at about the 6:55 mark.
His followers are so stupid that it might be important to emphasize that an unmanned drone didn't, you know, have anyone in it. I wonder how long that took to explain to Donnie.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Holy shit. I actually think Trump made the right decision and said something intelligent for once. He said that killing 150 people was not proportionate to shooting an unmanned drone. Is this the new Trump? Nah. Like they say, the sun shines even on a dog's ass once in a while.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Advice columnist E. Jean Carroll says Trump attempted to rape her 23 years ago:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...m_campaign=nym

Quote:
When Carroll meets Donald Trump in Bergdorf Goodman, the encounter starts as a friendly one. Trump recognizes her as “that advice lady”; Carroll recognizes him as “that real-estate tycoon.” Trump tells Carroll that he’s there to buy a gift for “a girl,” and though we don’t learn the identity of this mystery woman, Carroll places the ensuing incident in late 1995 or early 1996, during which time Trump was married to Marla Maples. When Trump asks Carroll to advise him on what to buy, she agrees, and the two eventually make their way to the lingerie section. Trump suggests a lace bodysuit and encourages Carroll to try it on; she, deflecting, jokingly suggests that he try it on instead. After they reach the dressing rooms, events turn violent. In Carroll’s account, Trump shoves her against a wall inside a dressing room, pulls down her tights, and, “forcing his fingers around my private area, thrusts his penis halfway — or completely, I’m not certain — inside me.”
Old 06-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Advice columnist E. Jean Carroll says Trump attempted to rape her 23 years ago:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...m_campaign=nym
Where the fuck has she been all this time? Not that it would have mattered one lick. Trump could rape a woman in the middle of fifth avenue and it wouldn't make a difference.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
Where the fuck has she been all this time? Not that it would have mattered one lick. Trump could rape a woman in the middle of fifth avenue and it wouldn't make a difference.
She's about to enter a world of shit, just for speaking about her experiences. I have trouble blaming women for whatever choice they make about telling their stories.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:32 PM

Seems well beyond, "attempted".
Old 06-21-2019, 02:23 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
According to CNN, Trump lied over 15 times in his 76-minute speech last night. That's about 1 every 5 minutes.

Normally he emits falsehoods at a faster rate. He's slipping.
Maybe he wasn't feeling well.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
She's about to enter a world of shit, just for speaking about her experiences. I have trouble blaming women for whatever choice they make about telling their stories.
This.

But I particularly like her remark; “forcing his fingers around my private area, thrusts his penis halfway — or completely, I’m not certain — inside me.”
Nubbin anyone?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Holy shit. I actually think Trump made the right decision and said something intelligent for once. He said that killing 150 people was not proportionate to shooting an unmanned drone. Is this the new Trump? Nah. Like they say, the sun shines even on a dog's ass once in a while.
No, he was told to say that and recognizes it as good advice.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
^ Yes, this.

The many accusations against Trump haven't been in the news for a long time. This has the potential to give those events some new air-time. There could even be more women coming forward (including, potentially, women who were minors at the time of their assaults).

It certainly would be nice if Mark Burnett would release some of the Apprentice tapes he's likely to be keeping secret to shield Trump, too. (I gather he says he doesn't own them, but in any case, he's been protecting Trump for a long time. I wonder if he'll hold to that position forever.)
Old 06-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Generally I agree but she could have been a voice to potentially save the country instead of saving it to sell her book.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Generally I agree but she could have been a voice to potentially save the country instead of saving it to sell her book.
A bunch of women came forward earlier. Country wasn't saved. Pretty sure another person voicing decades-old allegations wasn't going to move the needle. Evidence shows nothing else did.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
A bunch of women came forward earlier. Country wasn't saved. Pretty sure another person voicing decades-old allegations wasn't going to move the needle. Evidence shows nothing else did.
You're probably right, though she couldn't have known that at the time. She would probably have been considered more credible given her career as journalist, etc..
Old 06-22-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You're probably right, though she couldn't have known that at the time. She would probably have been considered more credible given her career as journalist, etc..
Yeah, nobody else was credible. Hers was the magic decades-old testimony that would have done the trick. Seriously, a dozen women didn't make a dent other than being called liars and then watching him win the election.

But we learned from it with the Kavanaugh confirmation, right? Oh yeah, we didn't

Last edited by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear; 06-22-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Yeah, nobody else was credible. Hers was the magic decades-old testimony that would have done the trick. Seriously, a dozen women didn't make a dent other than being called liars and then watching him win the election.

But we learned from it with the Kavanaugh confirmation, right? Oh yeah, we didn't
Hindsight and all that.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:26 PM
SDSAB

Make America Cancerous Again!: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/epa-adm...-announcement/
Old 06-22-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Not a problem. Trump promised to cure Cancer in his next term so you can pollute all you want.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

This is the break Pal Mal has been waiting for!

Last edited by JohnT; 06-22-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Not a problem. Trump promised to cure Cancer in his next term so you can pollute all you want.

I'm curious how junior is still clinging to his coattails. One thing Tan the Conman cannot stand is being laughed at.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
His first initiative to that end will be eliminating wind turbines. Especially those eyesores next to his golf club in Scotland.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:27 AM

Trump muses about ending Japan defense pact

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XRJJPCVOmEc

Among his issues is that he feels that the US is entitled to some benefit of the development potential of the Okinawa base.

Quote:
Abe reached a deal in 2013 with Obama to move the base out of Okinawa as early as 2022 if a replacement could be constructed. But Trump believes the land underneath the base is valuable for development, and has told confidants the real estate could be worth about $10 billion, the people said.
Guess the Japanese should follow Trump’s example in the use of eminent domain. Seems they have a better use for the land than the current tenants.

https://ij.org/case/casino-reinvestm...rity-v-coking/
Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 PM

Does that dumbass know the land does not belong to America, is not American territory?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Does that dumbass know the land does not belong to America, is not American territory?
As if he'd let a little thing like that bother him.

He's got missiles! He's got warships! He can take any land he wants!

^actual Trump reasoning
Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 AM

How has President Trump pissed you off today?

Oh I guess (today) I'll go with this reason:

U.S. House passes border aid bill, Trump vows veto.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post

Quite right. Give those freeloading kids toothpaste and soap, and next they'll be expecting food. Give them food, and next they'll want clean clothing. When will it ever end?
Old 06-26-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Maybe this is one of those times when he'll stomp around and wave his big dick stick and then back off at the last minute so he can be the hero and bestow food, toothpaste, blankets, and soap on those undeserving future terrorists brown rugrats.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure. If he signs it, he won't be able to claim it's the Democrats' fault for not providing funding to fix the problem. Oh, there will be some lame excuse, of course, there always is.

And I don't even know how the administration answers the question of why they don't just use emergency funding powers, like they're trying with his (non-Mexican-paid) wall - because there is no more press access to the White House.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
As if he'd let a little thing like that bother him.

He's got missiles! He's got warships! He can take any land he wants!

^actual Trump reasoning
He sees some land that is his type and he moves on it, grabbing it by the parcel.