Old 08-19-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

COTUS (the Coward of the United States) has now backed off of any gun control after "consulting" with La Pierre, the head knuckle-dragger of the NRA. Spineless motherfucker.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:34 PM
SDSAB

Surprising me not in the least.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
COTUS (the Coward of the United States) has now backed off of any gun control after "consulting" with La Pierre, the head knuckle-dragger of the NRA. Spineless motherfucker.
Trump was no doubt surprised that the NRA was opposed - who knew they had strong opinions on the subject?

Kudos to La Pierre on his timing - as always, the last one to talk to the CFSG wins.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Surprising me not in the least.
Yep. I would've bet thousands of dollars that Trump would not lift his very tiny, minuscule, little pinky to advance any sort of gun control after the latest rounds of gun massacres.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Yep. I would've bet thousands of dollars that Trump would not lift his very tiny, minuscule, little pinky to advance any sort of gun control after the latest rounds of gun massacres.
According to the Daily Beast, the guy with the concentration ability of a goldfish has forgotten about the issue.

Quote:
That Trump’s attention span drifted elsewhere before Congress could even reconvene to debate gun control reform was hardly a surprise. The president has promised to tackle background checks before, only to drop the idea once the mass shooting that precipitated his apparent interest faded from the news cycle.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Which will work until it happens again. As is so often the case, the good news and the bad news are the same news. Crazy as a duck on acid. The brown acid.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:52 AM
SDSAB

That's an insult to ducks everywhere.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
That's an insult to ducks everywhere.
Or a compliment to the brown acid.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Still, it's good to know there's somebody that Trump will listen to.

Maybe we could get La Pierre to tell Trump how tariffs work. But it's probably better to hold him in reserve in case we need to stop Trump from starting a war.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Trump's election strategy is this: if he can get 100% turnout of his 40% base, vs. a Democrat's 65% turnout of their 60% support....he wins. So everything he does between now and the election will be designed to fire up the base. And since his base also contains a not-insignificant number of gun nuts and white supremacists, he will do *nothing* that will make them think about not going to the polls. He can't afford to disillusion any of his deplorables.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 PM

Aug. 20, 2019
Individual 1: "any Jewish people that vote for a Democrat" are either uninformed or show "great disloyalty."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...alty-n1044621?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Individual 1: "any Jewish people that vote for a Democrat" are either uninformed or show "great disloyalty."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...alty-n1044621?
Obviously this has nothing to do with actually trying to persuade Jewish people to vote for him, since Jews are a minuscule percentage of the US population and are mostly clustered in solidly blue areas anyway. I agree with jsc1953 that this is all about "firing up the base", specifically stoking anger against "disloyal Jews".

I wonder how many of the people who are, for instance, gleefully calling Ilhan Omar an anti-Semite every chance they get on the basis of a few stupid and insensitive remarks about "Benjamins" and the like are going to get equally outraged about Trump's blatant invoking of classic anti-Semitic tropes about Jewish "disloyalty".

Last edited by Kimstu; 08-20-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

We know Jews can’t be real Americans, because they are only loyal to their own kind. Their own stinkin’ usurious, money-grubbing, media-owning, putting-Christian-blood-in-the matzoh kind.

Likewise the Cathlicks, ring-kissers who owe their allegiance only to da Pope a Rome.

Yeah, right-wingers are the TRUE enemies of xenophobia. Keep piling on those brown congresswomen.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:15 PM
SDSAB

I am once again reminded of a Jewish friend who assured me Trump would be OK because his beloved Ivanka married a Jewish guy and he was totally fine with it.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
We know Jews can’t be real Americans, because they are only loyal to their own kind. Their own stinkin’ usurious, money-grubbing, media-owning, putting-Christian-blood-in-the matzoh kind.

Likewise the Cathlicks, ring-kissers who owe their allegiance only to da Pope a Rome.

You left out those damn women-kidnapping brainwashing sneaky Mormons. They're only beholden to the Prophet in Salt Lake City. At least that's what I'm always hearing from the bigots in the Republican Party. Oh, and from a few posters on this site, too.

Regarding his latest nonsense, I'm wondering how anyone can seriously say Trump is not anti-Semitic. He's always been an anti-Semite. I've seen nothing to change that assessment.

Last edited by Monty; 08-20-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:14 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
You left out those damn women-kidnapping brainwashing sneaky Mormons. They're only beholden to the Prophet in Salt Lake City. At least that's what I'm always hearing from the bigots in the Republican Party....
Not since 2012, surely?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Individual 1 retweeted right wing demagogue Wayne Allyn Root:
Quote:
“Thank you to Wayne Allyn Root for the very nice words. “President Trump is the greatest President for Jews and for Israel in the history of the world, not just America, he is the best President for Israel in the history of the world...and the Jewish people in Israel love him....
....like he’s the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God...But American Jews don’t know him or like him. They don’t even know what they’re doing or saying anymore. It makes no sense! But that’s OK, if he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s good for.....
.....all Jews, Blacks, Gays, everyone. And importantly, he’s good for everyone in America who wants a job.” Wow!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

This is the same President who said there were "very fine people" among the crowds carrying torches and chanting "Jews will not replace us!"? Or was that his evil twin Skippy?

I may be terribly out of shape, but my eyeroll muscles are getting a hell of a workout.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Trump was no doubt surprised that the NRA was opposed - who knew they had strong opinions on the subject?

Kudos to La Pierre on his timing - as always, the last one to talk to the CFSG wins.
Who's been talking now?
Quote:
Trump also denied that he had been influenced by recent talks with NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre after reports that the president had spoken by phone with LaPierre onTuesday to inform him that so-called universal background checks touted by advocates were off the table.

“I didn't say anything about that. We had a great talk with Wayne yesterday. Didn’t say anything about that. We just talked about concepts. Wayne agrees things have to be done also,” Trump told reporters Wednesday as he left the White House.

“We have background checks, but there are loopholes in the background checks. That’s what I spoke to the NRA about yesterday,” he argued. “They want to get rid of the loopholes as well as I do. At the same time, I don’t want to take away people’s Second Amendment rights.”
Old 08-21-2019, 07:14 PM

He once again thinks he's above the Constitution.

Quote:
President Donald Trump and his administration are considering an executive order to eliminate so-called birthright citizenship in the United States.
"We're looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land, you walk over the border, have a baby–congratulations, the baby is now a U.S. citizen," Trump said. "It's frankly ridiculous."
He tried it last October. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

Quote:
According to Erwin Chemerinsky, the Dean of U.C. Berkley's School of Law, any attempt by Trump to challenge the amendment would be deemed unconstitutional.

"President Trump by executive order cannot override the Constitution," Chemerinsky told Newsweek on Wednesday, pointing to the Supreme Court's 1868 ruling in United States V. Wong Kim Art.

In order for birthright citizenship to be revoked in the U.S., the president would need Congress to support the change and vote to ratify the amendment.

When Trump first mentioned the idea in October, politicians from both parties swiftly rebuked the idea.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I am once again reminded of a Jewish friend who assured me Trump would be OK because his beloved Ivanka married a Jewish guy and he was totally fine with it.
This is still being trotted out as "proof" that Trump can't be an anti-Semite, by a wide variety of people who should know better. (I heard a cable-news anchor say it just today--and not on Fox. CNN or MSNBC, one or the other.)

If I hear "but he has Jewish grandkids!" one more time I believe I might upchuck.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
He once again thinks he's above the Constitution.

He tried it last October. It didn't work then and it won't work now.
[off topic]

Are there ANY fact-checkers or sub-editors working at major news outlets these days?

Newsweek managed to misspell the name of U.C. Berkeley, and the court case U.S. v. Wong Kim Ark.

I'm also pretty sure that Erwin Chemerinsky, one of the pre-eminent constitutional scholars in the United States, did NOT say that "the president would need Congress to support the change and vote to ratify the amendment." As Chemerinsky is well aware, but as Newsweek seems to have misunderstood, what the president would need is for each house of Congress to vote for an amendment with a two-thirds majority, and THEN for three out of four states to ratify the amendment. Their quote implies that Congress can change the Constitution by itself.

Last edited by mhendo; 08-21-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
[off topic]

Are there ANY fact-checkers or sub-editors working at major news outlets these days?

Newsweek managed to misspell the name of U.C. Berkeley, and the court case U.S. v. Wong Kim Ark.

I'm also pretty sure that Erwin Chemerinsky, one of the pre-eminent constitutional scholars in the United States, did NOT say that "the president would need Congress to support the change and vote to ratify the amendment." As Chemerinsky is well aware, but as Newsweek seems to have misunderstood, what the president would need is for each house of Congress to vote for an amendment with a two-thirds majority, and THEN for three out of four states to ratify the amendment. Their quote implies that Congress can change the Constitution by itself.
[Still off topic] Here are the paragraphs in question:

Quote:
According to Erwin Chemerinsky, the Dean of U.C. Berkley's School of Law, any attempt by Trump to challenge the amendment would be deemed unconstitutional.

"President Trump by executive order cannot override the Constitution," Chemerinsky told Newsweek on Wednesday, pointing to the Supreme Court's 1868 ruling in United States V. Wong Kim Art.

In order for birthright citizenship to be revoked in the U.S., the president would need Congress to support the change and vote to ratify the amendment.
Note that Chemerinsky is not directly quoted as saying that "the president would need Congress to support the change and vote to ratify the amendment." As you rightly pointed out, that is not factually correct, but it is not attributed to Chemerinsky in the article. I think the error lies solely with Newsweek. Perhaps it's implied, but it's not a direct quote.

Carry on.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
[Still off topic] Here are the paragraphs in question:

Note that Chemerinsky is not directly quoted as saying that "the president would need Congress to support the change and vote to ratify the amendment." As you rightly pointed out, that is not factually correct, but it is not attributed to Chemerinsky in the article. I think the error lies solely with Newsweek. Perhaps it's implied, but it's not a direct quote.

Carry on.
It iis factually correct though, unless someone wanted to try another convention. It also needs to get state approval, but Congress is (generally) the gatekeeper. They could have added the line about the states, but that's modern journalism.

As an aside - in the modern political climate, the Constitution is basically unchangeable. I can't think of a single proposal that could get through Congress, much less 3/4 of the states.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
This is the same President who said there were "very fine people" among the crowds carrying torches and chanting "Jews will not replace us!"? Or was that his evil twin Skippy?
He’s also the guy who said he liked to have his money counted by “guys in those little hats.”

I assume he has the same predilection for Italian barbers, English butlers, and French maids.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 AM
SDSAB

Will all the Republicans who mocked Obama in 2008 for being "the Chosen One" (something he never said about himself) now be similarly scornful of POTUS?: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/21/i-am...trade-war.html
Old 08-22-2019, 09:39 AM

I'm gonna go with "no" on that one. Such a reaction would require self-awareness and a conscience.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I can't find a link and don't recall offhand which show, but I recall hearing on one of the news/commentary shows last night that somewhere in his press briefing verbal diarrhea-fest yesterday Trump said he plans to be President for "twelve or thirteen years." Can someone confirm or contradict?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I can't find a link and don't recall offhand which show, but I recall hearing on one of the news/commentary shows last night that somewhere in his press briefing verbal diarrhea-fest yesterday Trump said he plans to be President for "twelve or thirteen years." Can someone confirm or contradict?
I don't know if Trump mentioned it during yesterday's rant, but he has in the past.

Here's a recap of yesterday:

The 7 Most Unhinged Things Trump Said on Wednesday

If Trump did say it, it didn't make the top 7 in this list:

1) Trump embraces “King of Israel” comparison
2) Trump lobs more insults at the Danes because they won’t sell Greenland
3) Trump says he still wants to end birthright citizenship
4) Trump declares himself “the chosen one”
5) Trump threatens to unleash ISIS fighters on Europe
6) Trump promises pills that will reduce veteran suicides
7) Trump says he’d like to give himself Medal of Honor

Last edited by dasmoocher; 08-22-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the website is questionable, but the information is true. Individual 1 has in the past suggested postponing the 2020 election.
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../pers-m08.html
Old 08-22-2019, 03:33 PM

Trump has over 2,000 conflicts of interest since he’s taken office: report

Even Reagan and the Bushes divested. Trump blatantly ignores the emoluments clause and relies on the sluggish pace of the court system to wrangle with it until long after he leaves office. He claimed to have ceded control of The Trump Organization to Don Jr., but it's a revocable and non-blind trust. He can withdraw money with permission from the trustee -- Don Jr.

As long as he's got Moscow Mitch and the Republican-controlled Senate backing him up, he can get away with mass murder while screaming WITCH HUNT! NO COLLUSION! and Fox News ignores it all. We're fucked fucked fucked.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Quote:
Yeah, the website is questionable, but the information is true. Individual 1 has in the past suggested postponing the 2020 election.
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../pers-m08.html
It was on last night's (21 August) Rachel Maddow. I can't figure out how to link to an individual video, but it starts at 2:10 of the segment labeled "Trump admin coverage maxim: Watch what they do, not what they say" (in which she also mentions King Cannot bloviating so long that at least one reporter's phone shut off due to the heat). And yes, it's not the first time; I must have been in one of my periodic hide-under-the-bed phases every time it happened before.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Not since 2012, surely?

August of 2019, actually.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:11 PM

Douglas Magarth?

The rest of that article is even more embarrassing. Or it would be if Trump had any self-awareness, other than the self-worship kind.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 PM

Party on, McGarth.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Party on, McGarth.

We used to play a language game when I was a kid. For all the nouns, you'd had "Mc" in front. So, "Let's go to the cinema" turns into "Let's go to the McCinema". Or, in this case, "Party on, Garth" turns into "Party on, McGarth".
Old 08-23-2019, 02:19 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure Trump was never conflicted about any of these issues. He kept things simple by always doing whatever was best for him personally.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:20 AM

I would add "in the short term" to that, Nemo. Boy doesn't do long term planning .
Old 08-23-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I'm sure Trump was never conflicted about any of these issues. He kept things simple by always doing whatever was best for him personally.
A principle to live by. Certainly works for him. <shrugs> So far no one has seriously tried to be effective at stopping him.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:29 PM

It's not entirely down to his economic dumb-fuckery, but Trump's tariffs have helped close the Del Monte packing plant that I worked in from 1977-1981 to finance my education.

Another blow to the small town rural Americans he claims to champion. And while acknowledging there is a leopard face-eating component to this story, I don't think anyone thought that he would be this much of an economic disaster or that the alleged grown-ups in the GOP would be completely supine in front of the Chosen One.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I would add "in the short term" to that, Nemo. Boy doesn't do long term planning .
I'm not sure he plans at all.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 AM

Tan the Conman now says he was just sarcastic when he called himself the "Chosen One".
Old 08-24-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Tan the Conman now says he was just sarcastic when he called himself the "Chosen One".
He probably found out what happened to the last guy that called himself “King of the Jews”.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

He was kidding. Trump, I mean.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/t...en-one-sarcasm
Trump Was Just Being Sarcastic About Thinking He’s The ‘Chosen One,’ Okay?
Old 08-24-2019, 09:59 AM

You can't mix a kidder so I knew he was messing around, but that's a bit dangerous with all the nutters who already believe it.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:10 AM

This is the kind of thing that happens when unfunny people think they're funny. Unfortunate that this particular fully un-self-aware moron is our president.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
This is the kind of thing that happens when unfunny people think they're funny. Unfortunate that this particular fully un-self-aware moron is our president.
Thing is, was Trump trying to be funny?

Claiming Trump was only "joking" whenever he says something stupid/outrageous that boomerangs back on him is SOP, in addition to also claiming that The Fake News just doesn't get his brilliant humor and is trying to make him look bad.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Another blow to the small town rural Americans he claims to champion. And while acknowledging there is a leopard face-eating component to this story, I don't think anyone thought that he would be this much of an economic disaster or that the alleged grown-ups in the GOP would be completely supine in front of the Chosen One.
On that last point, yeah, I've seen figures who I'd have thought would at least be seen saying "respectfully, sir, you sure of that?" simply surrender unconditionally -- to a great degree in cases like these because now they have seen how destructive he can be just in normal mode, they are completely terrified of how much worse can he make it if they trigger him.

Also let's face it, those who voted for the leopards-eating-faces ticket will do so again because when that is pointed out their feeling will be: "how dare you say I was stupid", and they'd rather have their face eaten than admit they were wrong.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 08-24-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
He was kidding. Trump, I mean.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/t...en-one-sarcasm
Trump Was Just Being Sarcastic About Thinking He’s The ‘Chosen One,’ Okay?

I beat you to it by a couple of hours and change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Thing is, was Trump trying to be funny?

Claiming Trump was only "joking" whenever he says something stupid/outrageous that boomerangs back on him is SOP, in addition to also claiming that The Fake News just doesn't get his brilliant humor and is trying to make him look bad.

What's worse, him saying it and believing it or him joking about it in the manner he said it? FWIW, of course I don't believe the jackass was joking. Humor requires human emotion.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
What's worse, him saying it and believing it or him joking about it in the manner he said it? FWIW, of course I don't believe the jackass was joking. Humor requires human emotion.
I agree Trump has no humor. His idea of being funny is mocking people, institutions, or whatever he dislikes. The reporter who has that disability comes to mind. Unfortunately, a lot of his base seems to find that funny, also.

I'm reminded of a presentation I gave in school. The first slide was an intro to yourself. Among other things, I said one of my hobbies was making balloon animal snakes and one of my best features was my "incredible modesty". I had the class giggling before I even started speaking.

If Trump ever said he was incredibly modest, he might actually think that. And, of course, his psychological projection means he's actually the opposite of how he describes himself: stable genius, best words, least racist person, knows more about [insert topic here] than anyone,...

Last edited by dasmoocher; 08-24-2019 at 11:59 AM.