Old 10-05-2019, 08:17 AM

Supergirl Season 5

The fifth season of Supergirl premieres Sunday at 9 pm ET, after the series premiere of Batwoman. Last season was probably their best one so far. They not only doubled down on the political theme - with illegal aliens this time - but also threw Lex Luthor into the mix. Here's hoping the new season will be as good if not better than the last.

Cast changes: Azie Tesfai (Kelly Olsen) and Andrea Brooks (Miss Tessmacher!) have been bumped up to series regulars. Joining the main cast are Julie Gonzalo as Andrea Rojas and Staz Nair as William Dey. April Parker Jones is not longer listed as a cast member, so I guess Col. Haley's appointment as Secretary of Alien Affairs will stick.

Comic-Con 2019 Sizzle: https://youtu.be/M_FBPbfkcrk
Event Horizon trailer: https://youtu.be/2-6Bhabq72E
Event Horizon extended trailer: https://youtu.be/UaeUyvXqS4Y

S05E01: Event Horizon

SEASON PREMIERE - Kara is surprised to find that CatCo has a new owner who has brought in a star reporter. New couples emerge and explore their budding relationships while J'onn J'onzz receives an unexpected visitor.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:33 AM

A fine if not particularly spectacular season premiere. Is this season going to be all about clickbait and fake news? If so, count me in. This should give Kara more opportunity to show her reporter side over her Supergirl side, while delivering more social commentary.

I was going to be disappointed with how the episode was turning out, when Lena seemingly accepted Kara's confession that she's Supergirl seemingly with no problems. She even stopped the upload of the reveal to CatCo's new owner. But it turns out she has a much more nefarious plan. What it is we don't know yet, but I'm going to guess that it involves Lena going full Luthor. Why else would she develop an AI that could formulate a way to kill Supergirl?

ETA: Oh, yeah. When is Miss Tessmacher! going to show up?

Last edited by Terminus Est; 10-07-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
ETA: Oh, yeah. When is Miss Tessmacher! going to show up?
Wasn’t she the waitress getting abducted at the end of the episode?
Old 10-07-2019, 09:16 AM

Not a fan of the new look Supergirl. Hate the bangs. Hate the new uniform. The whipping off the glasses trigger is too much for me. Not to mention we'll see less of Kara's legs. The newspaper turning into clickbait isn't a compelling storyline. Lena turning evil is disappointing and I think detracts from her character.

Last edited by BobLibDem; 10-07-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Wasn’t she the waitress getting abducted at the end of the episode?
You are correct. I got distracted at the end when Lena went back into the matrix to indulge her fantasies of killing Supergirl. She punched towards the camera and there was cut to black. It was at that moment I looked away for some reason and when I looked back the credits were already rolling. Only caught Miss Tessmacher's short appearance on rewatch.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Finally watching the episode, and just watched the scene where new girl takes over the paper and Olsen threatens to walk. Do the writers not understand contracts, or do they think that viewers don't understand contracts? Dumb and Dumber had smarter protagonists.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:14 PM

So will anyone notice that Kara and Supergirl both started sporting bangs on the same day?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Finally watching the episode, and just watched the scene where new girl takes over the paper and Olsen threatens to walk. Do the writers not understand contracts, or do they think that viewers don't understand contracts? Dumb and Dumber had smarter protagonists.
I'd like to think that Earth-38 is a world where the 13th Amendment was never passed, hence the new boss unilaterally extending everyone's contracts as if they didn't get a say in it.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
So will anyone notice that Kara and Supergirl both started sporting bangs on the same day?
It's not like Kara was in front of a big crowd with photographers, wearing her new hairstyle, and then Supergirl turned up, so that the whole crowd could make the comparison. Oh, wait.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:24 AM

S05E02: Stranger Beside Me

TECHNOLOGY BECOMES THE NEW THREAT- Supergirl, Alex, and Brainiac thwart an alien attack while William investigates Kara. J'onn J'onzz and Kelly use Obsidian tech to solve a problem.

Stranger Beside Me promo: https://youtu.be/KVNpaDRSZEI
Old 10-14-2019, 03:30 AM

Given how quickly the previous Batwoman episode moved its plot along, I found tonight's Supergirl episode rather slow and ponderous. A good portion was occupied with CW relationship crap. I can tolerate that in small doses, but tonight was had to contend with two. Brainy/Nia was mostly amusing, but Alex/Kelly was too angst-ridden for my taste. I can only hope that Kara doesn't get into a relationship. (But she probably will with William, isn't she?)

The highlight of the episode was the fight between Supergirl and the Martian-as-Alex.

I guess I was wrong about the overall theme of the season. It's about clickbait and fake news (except in an incidental manner), but rather the isolation caused by technology and other detrimental effects. Poor Eve Tessmacher. Has she really been subsumed by the AI? Lena Luthor is coming along nicely as a super-villain.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:50 PM

I'm puzzled by William - something about the way he refers to his wife makes her seem fictional, and his work at the soup kitchen just raises more questions.

Agree - Poor Eve.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
It's about clickbait and fake news (except in an incidental manner), but rather the isolation caused by technology and other detrimental effects.
*not
"It's NOT about clickbait and fake news...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I'm puzzled by William - something about the way he refers to his wife makes her seem fictional, and his work at the soup kitchen just raises more questions.
He's investigating Andrrrrea Rrrrrojas, who we all can agree is bad. He finished Kara's work for her and he volunteers at a soup kitchen. He must be a good guy, right? Plus he and Kara are arguing like a bad parody of a rom-com. You know where the writers are going with this.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
*not
"It's NOT about clickbait and fake news...."

He's investigating Andrrrrea Rrrrrojas, who we all can agree is bad. He finished Kara's work for her and he volunteers at a soup kitchen. He must be a good guy, right? Plus he and Kara are arguing like a bad parody of a rom-com. You know where the writers are going with this.
Ah. That makes sense. I should have realized that his employment for Rojas just started - coincident with his apparent swerve towards petty evil, making the "undercover" possibility a strong one.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:18 AM

S05E03: Blurred Lines

BE CAREFUL WHO YOU TRUST- Kara attempts to mend her relationship with Lena. J'onn J'onzz takes a deep dive into his memories while Kelly tries to help an old friend.

Blurred Lines promo: https://youtu.be/j26DzX1v7qk

Oliver Queen can tell you: The Crisis is upon us! I've started a separate thread for the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM

Between all the various plot threads - Nia & Brainy, Lena & Hope, Kara & Lena, Kara & William, J'onn & M'aleficent, Alex & Kelly, Kelly and (fake) Pete - I'm not really sure where this season is going. The show was more than half over before Supergirl even confronted the villain-of-the-week. They hustled Kelly and Jimmy off to some safehouse somewhere, so maybe the next few episodes can focus on, I dunno, the coming Crisis? After all, the Monitor brought M'aleficent back for a reason.