Old 09-04-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Speaking of disingenuous, your whole post is dishonest. You should feel bad.
Translation: "no u"
Old 09-04-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Speaking of disingenuous, your whole post is dishonest. You should feel bad.
God what a lazy, pointless post. There's no point in engaging when your criticism is so incredibly lazy and bereft of thought.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Alright, so there are often accusations on the internet of people being shills. Someone says "roundup probably isn't as unhealthy as some of the pesticides it replaced" and you get accused of being in the pockets of Monsanto. If you debunk alt meds, you're a big pharma shill. Etc. There's probably about 10,000x more accusations of shilling than actual shilling, if it exists at all.

Although we do know that state actors do have people go online and shill, troll, and otherwise sow discord as a modern age cyber/psyops warfare against rival countries.

I don't have any reason to believe HurricaneDitka is a shill, and that's kind of sad, actually. He works so very hard for evil and he's doing it all on his own free time. He's not even selling out - he's being evil and dishonest and acting in bad faith and serving the interests of the Republican party (and by extension usually the Russians) just to rile the libs. He doesn't get anything out of it. He's a vile piece of shit trying to sow discord and damage his own country for the fun of it. What a world.

The thing is - if he was a paid shill by the Republican party or the Russian government, would any of his behavior be any different? How would you be able to tell?

Anyway, he's up to his usual, trying to Baghdad Bob in the impeachment thread. Oh, Clinton was impeached because the republicans investigated him. Trump will be impeached because the democrats investigated him. So both sides are the same, and if you don't think so, obviously you're just too partisan to see the truth! Doesn't matter if Trump commits a hundred crimes worse than anything Clinton did, or the Republicans were running sham investigations for years desperate to find anything, and the Democrats are actually under-investigating and under-reacting to Trump's multitude of crimes. Both sides are exactly the same. Obama wore a tan suit, Trump can nuke Canada - each side doesn't like the other's politicians and therefore everyone is exactly equal.

The shitstain always acts in bad faith:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
dems: President Trump is a Russian stooge. He's doing Putin's bidding.
Also dems: President Trump is giving lethal military aid to Ukraine to help them kill Russians and that's a "bribe".

No good faith actor could've said what he just said. The US Congress approved the aid package to Ukraine. Trump has withheld that aid package for 7 months now. Finally, Trump, having to give in and give the package, tries to extort Ukraine into giving him something personally in return for fulfilling the duty he's legally obligated to do placed upon him by Congress, and from this, Ditka concludes: HAHA LIBS, YOU THINK TRUMP WORKS FOR RUSSIA AND YET HE SINGLE HANDEDLY GENEROUSLY DECIDED TO GIVE UKRAINE A GIANT MILITARY AID PACKAGE. YOU CAN'T EVEN GET YOUR STORY STRAIGHT! OWNED, CUCKS!

The thing is - there's value in representing contrary viewpoints on this board. It's good that it's not a complete echo chamber. But if people aren't acting in good faith, it's a waste of time, it's just trolling. That's something I can't accept or forgive.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 09-25-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and his current line of stupidity to advocate for evil is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
That's funny, your article doesn't say anything about "quid pro quo". It says they understood it as a "precondition". Do you understand that those are two different things?

Essentially, he's giving all sorts of forms of "if Trump doesn't literally say to the Ukranian president 'I'm offering a quid pro quo arrangement' then it's obviously not quid pro quo!" - the idea that a preconditioning to talking to Ukraine about the aid is having them agree to investigate Biden is not a quid pro quo arrangement, because, hey, do you see the words quid pro quo there? Owned, libcucks.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:18 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Alright, so there are often accusations on the internet of people being shills. Someone says "roundup probably isn't as unhealthy as some of the pesticides it replaced" and you get accused of being in the pockets of Monsanto. If you debunk alt meds, you're a big pharma shill. Etc. There's probably about 10,000x more accusations of shilling than actual shilling, if it exists at all.

Although we do know that state actors do have people go online and shill, troll, and otherwise sow discord as a modern age cyber/psyops warfare against rival countries.

I don't have any reason to believe HurricaneDitka is a shill, and that's kind of sad, actually. He works so very hard for evil and he's doing it all on his own free time. He's not even selling out - he's being evil and dishonest and acting in bad faith and serving the interests of the Republican party (and by extension usually the Russians) just to rile the libs. He doesn't get anything out of it. He's a vile piece of shit trying to sow discord and damage his own country for the fun of it. What a world.

The thing is - if he was a paid shill by the Republican party or the Russian government, would any of his behavior be any different? How would you be able to tell?

Anyway, he's up to his usual, trying to Baghdad Bob in the impeachment thread. Oh, Clinton was impeached because the republicans investigated him. Trump will be impeached because the democrats investigated him. So both sides are the same, and if you don't think so, obviously you're just too partisan to see the truth! Doesn't matter if Trump commits a hundred crimes worse than anything Clinton did, or the Republicans were running sham investigations for years desperate to find anything, and the Democrats are actually under-investigating and under-reacting to Trump's multitude of crimes. Both sides are exactly the same. Obama wore a tan suit, Trump can nuke Canada - each side doesn't like the other's politicians and therefore everyone is exactly equal.

The shitstain always acts in bad faith:

No good faith actor could've said what he just said. The US Congress approved the aid package to Ukraine. Trump has withheld that aid package for 7 months now. Finally, Trump, having to give in and give the package, tries to extort Ukraine into giving him something personally in return for fulfilling the duty he's legally obligated to do placed upon him by Congress, and from this, Ditka concludes: HAHA LIBS, YOU THINK TRUMP WORKS FOR RUSSIA AND YET HE SINGLE HANDEDLY GENEROUSLY DECIDED TO GIVE UKRAINE A GIANT MILITARY AID PACKAGE. YOU CAN'T EVEN GET YOUR STORY STRAIGHT! OWNED, CUCKS!

The thing is - there's value in representing contrary viewpoints on this board. It's good that it's not a complete echo chamber. But if people aren't acting in good faith, it's a waste of time, it's just trolling. That's something I can't accept or forgive.

You left out the far right's freak-out when President Obama did what he was legally obligated to do: fork over the government of Iran's own money to the government of Iran.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
He's a vile piece of shit trying to sow discord and damage his own country for the fun of it. What a world.
This.

He's an unmitigated, vile asshole. And he's proud of it.

He posts contradictory, idotic and asinine garbage. And he's genuinely proud of it. He stands over his posts like a dog over it's vomit, thinking what a fabulous piece of art he's produced.

And you know what? There are many out there like this. Some are worse.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

If the Board's stated goal is to fight ignorance, is the mission to do so enhanced or detracted by the presence of liars, trolls, and other people who refuse to talk in good faith?
Old 09-26-2019, 05:56 AM

HurricaneDikta's sole purpose on this board is to "own da libz". No lie too big, no evasion too blatant, and absolutely no good faith allowed. Anything that riles up da libz is a good thing in his estimation.
So, yeah, a troll.
But, he's part of the protected class - he has to blatantly break the rules to be sanctioned, and he's (just) smart enough not to do that.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
HurricaneDikta's sole purpose on this board is to "own da libz". No lie too big, no evasion too blatant, and absolutely no good faith allowed. Anything that riles up da libz is a good thing in his estimation.
So, yeah, a troll.
Exactly! There's nothing he values more than angering liberals. Not opposing bigotry. Not opposing abuse of women and children. Nothing. He's kind of unique among Doper conservatives in that, by my reading.

Quote:
But, he's part of the protected class - he has to blatantly break the rules to be sanctioned, and he's (just) smart enough not to do that.
I think the mods have wised up a tad to his silliness, but they still miss most of his blatant trolling.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 09-26-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
So, yeah, a troll.
The bar for the mods on this board to decide something is trolling is at least as high as the GOP is for interpreting Trump's actions in the correct way.

For Trump to be seen extorting Ukraine he would have to say "If you don't make up lies about my opponents, I will never give you the aid you need. By the way, this isn't a joke and I'm aware it's a lie. He's Mike Pence to confirm that we're doing crimes."

And HD would have to say "I'm trolling you all right now you stupid fucks. I can't believe you let me get away with this for years. Ed Zotti can suck my cock."
Old 09-26-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Alright,....
The important takeaway for me from this excellent post is, don't get on SenorBeef's bad side. Jeez, that was pretty epic.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:42 AM

He's either an idiot or totally brainwashed. I think where he came from, the smart kids who made fun of him were liberals, so he's exacting his revenge here. Nothing pleases him more than goading someone into attacking him and drawing a warning from the mods. I find that not engaging him is the best strategy.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I think where he came from, the smart kids who made fun of him were liberals
Still are.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:17 PM

Worthless poster HD is warned by Bone:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...2#post21883462
Old 09-26-2019, 02:21 PM

If my memory is right, that's at least 4 warnings in the last year for HD. Reminds me of something that just happened...
Old 09-26-2019, 02:43 PM

Hey, what's the rule for laughing at people who get a warning in the thread where they got a warning?
Old 09-26-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post

This day just keeps getting better!
Old 09-26-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

His posts may be worthless, but he makes it up in volume.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:23 PM

i really hope Ditka’s little baby grows up to be a lying gaslighting piece of shit, just like his daddy. And I hope he steals his parents blind and commits credit card fraud in their name, then denies it, then accuses his parents of child abuse when they try to discipline him. Maybe the kid will even get HD sent to prison. I know this is a pipe dream, but it would be delicious karma. Yum Yum.

Because this is the moral standard that this shithead is espousing, and the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I, um... yow.

I hope the child grows beyond the limitations of the parenting given them. Hell, I hope that about my kid!
Old 09-26-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
His posts may be worthless, but he makes it up in volume.
That is my main beef with him. Yes he's a troll and an idiot and all of those other words, but it seems like any thread that anyone starts, soon enough he shows up flinging poo all over and dominating the discussion. I start to read a thread, I see his tempest-in-a-teapot crap, and it's not worth reading any more. It's just so tiresome.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
If my memory is right, that's at least 4 warnings in the last year for HD. Reminds me of something that just happened...
This. Most posters with four warnings or so in less than a year seem to end up eventually banned, either because they simply can't control themselves, or because they decide they might as well go out in a blaze of suicide-by-mod glory.

I never use the Ignore function, but HD is one of a very few posters that I functionally (well, mostly) ignore.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
i really hope Ditka’s little baby grows up to be a lying gaslighting piece of shit, just like his daddy. And I hope he steals his parents blind and commits credit card fraud in their name, then denies it, then accuses his parents of child abuse when they try to discipline him. Maybe the kid will even get HD sent to prison. I know this is a pipe dream, but it would be delicious karma. Yum Yum.

Because this is the moral standard that this shithead is espousing, and the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Ehhhh, I can sorta understand your feelings here, but then society would still have to deal with another horrible person. I'd rather his spawn see his bullshit for what it is and either sever ties with him altogether, or actually being able to talk some sense into him.

Last edited by snfaulkner; 09-26-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:06 PM

1 week suspension!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:11 PM

Suspended
Old 09-26-2019, 11:18 PM

I'm sure he's going to use that week to readjust his views on exactly where the red lines are so in future he can try to troll just inside the lines. I predict he'll fail because the asinine garbage he posts has rarely been in good faith, and we'll eventually be rid of the disingenuous trolling asshole.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

He now has a full week to put together his Zooper Zecret Spreadsheets of all warnings earned by the haters and losers, preparing his case for the ATMB thread which will just destroy this wretched hive of scum and villainy and show us... ALL of us... of just how partisan and wrong we are.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I'm sure he's going to use that week to readjust his views on exactly where the red lines are so in future he can try to troll just inside the lines. I predict he'll fail because the asinine garbage he posts has rarely been in good faith, and we'll eventually be rid of the disingenuous trolling asshole.
WillF and HD both have special instructions that are pretty darn broad and susceptible to uncharitable interpretations if the mods so desire.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
He now has a full week to put together his Zooper Zecret Spreadsheets of all warnings earned by the haters and losers, preparing his case for the ATMB thread which will just destroy this wretched hive of scum and villainy and show us... ALL of us... of just how partisan and wrong we are.
That should be...fun? Irritating? Some weird hybrid of those two emotions.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
WillF and HD both have special instructions that are pretty darn broad and susceptible to uncharitable interpretations if the mods so desire.
WillF and Ditka are both well practiced at rules lawyering in the interests of being irritating and obnoxious while trying to remain on the right side of the rules, so I'd say the broadness of the special instructions is by design. Ditka particularly enjoys sealioning, a term that describes his argumentation technique so perfectly it's almost like he invented it. If you think "uncharitable interpretations" were made then I guess you (or they) can take it up in ATMB. I think the mods have been more than fair with this pair of chronically disruptive assholes.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Ehhhh, I can sorta understand your feelings here, but then society would still have to deal with another horrible person. I'd rather his spawn see his bullshit for what it is and either sever ties with him altogether, or actually being able to talk some sense into him.

Personally, I like to think that his "spawn" and other immediate family are simply fiction which he writes on this site. That's part of how I maintain my hope in humanity.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Pity.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Personally, I like to think that his "spawn" and other immediate family are simply fiction which he writes on this site. That's part of how I maintain my hope in humanity.
I like to think that his views and opinions are all fiction...but sadly I know many people like him irl and my cynicism soars.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Oh, fuck off. When you're defending fucking Ditka, you really can't sink any lower.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:07 AM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by Ludovic; 09-27-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
WillF and Ditka are both well practiced at rules lawyering in the interests of being irritating and obnoxious while trying to remain on the right side of the rules, so I'd say the broadness of the special instructions is by design. Ditka particularly enjoys sealioning, a term that describes his argumentation technique so perfectly it's almost like he invented it.
It also describes the animal you just fed, even if on first glance the pinniped seems the wrong phylum.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
Suspended

Reaction to this news.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
It also describes the animal you just fed, even if on first glance the pinniped seems the wrong phylum.
I don't know, I haven't had major issues thus far with our resident cephalopod, nor with our resident practitioner of the Japanese martial arts, though needless to say I disagree with them on pretty much everything.

But in terms of sheer annoyance, Ditka and Farnaby are each, in different ways, in a class by themselves. Ditka appears to be a right-wing nutjob plying his trade on the board as a professional sea lion and putative master of Polite Civil Discourse™ of the sort that causes other posters to attract warnings, while Farnaby just appears to be insane.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:27 AM

Sealioning fits HD like a glove. An awfully pernicious type of trolling.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know, I haven't had major issues thus far with our resident cephalopod, nor with our resident practitioner of the Japanese martial arts, though needless to say I disagree with them on pretty much everything.
The tone policing (i.e. "I'm just trying to have a polite conversation and you've been nothing but rude!") is what makes him an icon of the term for me.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Pity.
“He would have finished HD off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. 'It's a pity I've run out of bannings,' he thought.”
Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Oh, fuck off. When you're defending fucking Ditka, you really can't sink any lower.
And I thought we were friends.

You have to admit that the notes that led to warnings are almost as contrived as Huey’s banning. Specifically tailored and overly broad prohibitions like that are almost a trap.

Is sealioning actually a thing or is it what you accuse someone of when you disagree with them but it isn’t sending you into a frothing rage?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:

But in terms of sheer annoyance, Ditka and Farnaby are each, in different ways, in a class by themselves. Ditka appears to be a right-wing nutjob plying his trade on the board as a professional sea lion and putative master of Polite Civil Discourse™ of the sort that causes other posters to attract warnings, while Farnaby just appears to be insane.
I think Ditka does like to needle the libs a bit. I don’t see anything wrong with that. Conservatives get far more vitriol thrown their way in terms of volume and intensity. The fact that most of it goes non-noted much less non warned seems biased even though that is always denied in a Baghdad Bobesque fashion.

WillF strikes me as someone who is enamored with the concept of libertarianism but hasn’t read enough to realize that you need some counter force to powerful economic entities. I’m pretty free market and pretty anti-statist and even I recognize that I don’t want amoral corporations ruling the world.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
And I thought we were friends.

You have to admit that the notes that led to warnings are almost as contrived as Huey’s banning. Specifically tailored and overly broad prohibitions like that are almost a trap.

Is sealioning actually a thing or is it what you accuse someone of when you disagree with them but it isn’t sending you into a frothing rage?
I think maybe this isn't the place for you. You complain about it an awful lot -- it seems like every other post of yours is some sort of whining about this board. Maybe you'd be happier if you spent your time somewhere else?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Holy shit, the Dope is allowed to exist for a week. This is great news.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I think maybe this isn't the place for you. You complain about it an awful lot -- it seems like every other post of yours is some sort of whining about this board. Maybe you'd be happier if you spent your time somewhere else?
I’m pretty happy. Unlike a large, vocal, trouble seeking portion of the board I am not looking for an echo chamber. The board, as a whole, is very valuable because information and insights from those who think differently or have a different set of underlying assumptions about the world is necessary for challenging how I think and act even.

iiandyiiii, I’ll give you an example that involves you. I was at a “fast” food restaurant waiting 27 minutes for a plain hamburger. Instead of being upset and acting rudely, I asked myself, “self, what would iiandyiiii do in this situation?” That calmed me down. See? That’s personal growth! Thanks to you! I’m not even kidding. Those were the words that went through my head. I have other examples but this is HurricaneDitka’s thread not one of mine.

Now, that doesn’t mean I have to agree with everything and everyone here. What’s the point in that? If I wanted a place where I could have obsequious sycophants I’d make an octopusboard.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
He'll never leave voluntarily, and he's unlikely to cross the line that will get him banned.
He's a masochist. He loves the abuse.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
iiandyiiii, I’ll give you an example that involves you. I was at a “fast” food restaurant waiting 27 minutes for a plain hamburger. Instead of being upset and acting rudely, I asked myself, “self, what would iiandyiiii do in this situation?” That calmed me down. See? That’s personal growth! Thanks to you! I’m not even kidding. Those were the words that went through my head. I have other examples but this is HurricaneDitka’s thread not one of mine.
Seems strange to me that you would need someone else to tell you not to act upset and rude over an inconsequential fast food burger.

You can't figure that out for yourself?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I’m pretty happy. Unlike a large, vocal, trouble seeking portion of the board I am not looking for an echo chamber. The board, as a whole, is very valuable because information and insights from those who think differently or have a different set of underlying assumptions about the world is necessary for challenging how I think and act even.

Now, that doesn’t mean I have to agree with everything and everyone here. What’s the point in that? If I wanted a place where I could have obsequious sycophants I’d make an octopusboard.
Thank you for the kind words.

But I think you're missing the difference in views here. It's not about wanting an echo chamber, or "obsequious sycophants", or some other desire to quash differing/opposing views -- it's about wanting honest and sincere debate and discussion (if we're talking about GD, Elections, and IMHO) without hate, misogyny, and bigotry.

The posters that generally get the most heat are failing to meet something in that phrase. IMO, HD is lacking the "honest and sincere debate" part (as well as occasional misogyny and bigotry). He often posts stuff he doesn't believe, or posts stuff just meant to tweak and insult rather than debate. I think WillF is lacking in the "debate" part (I think he's mostly honest and sincere, and I generally don't sense misogyny or bigotry from him, though he does appear to possess an awful lot of hatred for those he disagrees with, by my reading). He rarely actually makes arguments, preferring insults and potshots, by my reading. And so on. We welcome opposing viewpoints, when presented honestly with a sincere interest in debate and discussion, and without hatred/misogyny/bigotry.

And the Pit is a place to blow off steam -- a pressure release for when someone really gets on your nerves. I think the Pit very helpfully keeps the personal stuff out of the other forums, for the most part. Because those kinds of feelings will always be present, especially when there are issues that people really care about.

So the disagreement (between you and me, or you and those you're criticizing on the board) is about the motives and characterization of a handful of these posters -- HD, WillF, and a few others. It's not about what we want in the board.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 09-27-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Seems strange to me that you would need someone else to tell you not to act upset and rude over an inconsequential fast food burger.

You can't figure that out for yourself?
It wasn’t the burger. It was the 27 minute wait. Surely, you can discern the difference?