Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

No, it's a long fall. 4 of 5 against the Warriors? Not going to happen.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Damn, that was one Portland should have taken. It's an uphill climb now.
It really felt as if the Warriors stole that win from Portland. Terry Stott got out coached in the 2nd half - Blazers were too late to make adjustment to Warriors aggressive pick and roll D.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Nah, it'll be pretty short. Two, maybe three games, tops. While Portland has been an absolutely lovely team to watch this postseason, I'm fairly confident they just ran into the Warriors buzzsaw.

For those playing along at home, Golden State has actually been better away from Oracle Arena than at home, posting a +3.25 net rating at home, compared to +8.27 away. With Kanter all but useless and Collins trying to foul out ASAP, it doesn't matter if Seth is the third coming of House Curry - the best chance for Portland to steal one was with Lillard's playoff homecoming. I still think the Blazers can win one at home, but they don't win two, and this series never comes back. What the hell do you do when Golden State only needs three point five All-Stars to turn you out like a prostitute on International Boulevard, while the other two rest and recover from injury?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

A heart breaker. McCollum missed several easy shots near the end, and the Blazers fell for the same under the basket play three times in a row. Why on earth Stotts kept Evan Turner in the game is a mystery to me. The guy is a good defender, but a lousy shooter, and he should have been playing Hood. Best play: when Seth Curry stole the ball from his brother.

Portland is a scrappy team, but the odds against them winning the next four games are just overwhelming. I hope they can at least win one at home for the fans.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Chefguy, even if the Blazers get swept in this series, you've got nothing to hang your heads about.

Last edited by ekedolphin; 05-17-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Chefguy, even if the Blazers get swept in this series, you've got nothing to hang your heads about.
Yeah, they've been tough, especially after losing Nurkic. Everyone thought their season was done at that point, as Kanter was somewhat of an unknown, Leonard was all too well known, and Collins is still working off the rookie mistakes. Some good coaching going on there and a lot of heart.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
It's been reported that the Knicks and Lakers are the only two teams that Anthony Davis would sign an extension with, if he's traded. I suppose the Pelicans don't have to trade him right away, but the Pelicans better get Davis in a re-signing kind of mood before the trade deadline, or they risk losing him for nothing. That would be a disaster for the Pels.
I don't necessarily agree.

In my own humble opinion, I don't think it's worthwhile trading him if you don't get anybody that you can't realistically pick up in free agency. It seems that the number 3 pick is RJ and the fourth pick will likely be Deandre Hunter. You could argue me that RJ will be an all star, but the comparables don't seem to be there for Hunter. There is no roster player on the Knicks that's worth trading for and I think the Laker's youth is weak as well (with the 1 caveat being Ingram getting and staying healthy, but there's a risk he doesn't play basketball in 2 years).

I might trade Davis for Tatem and maybe the Memphis pick (if memory serves, Boston has a top 6 protected memphis pick), but that's really the only trade I'd think about...but given the Kyrie Irving situation in Boston, who knows whether that's something the Celtics will want to do.

Unless I'm blown away by something that hasn't been floated in the press, I'd keep him and take a shot at Davis playing with Zion, Holliday, and Randle. You have him under contract so he has to play, and that might be a pretty decent team. To me, a season where you actually get a couple home playoffs games and perhaps even a series win, is worth more than continuing your everlasting rebuild.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Yup. It very much looks, at this point, like it'll be #1 seed vs. #1 seed come Finals time this year.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:51 PM

But, drm, the Pelicans won a playoff series in 2017 as well, and it took Anthony Davis less than a year after that to start demanding a trade.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Another shit game from Portland.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
But, drm, the Pelicans won a playoff series in 2017 as well, and it took Anthony Davis less than a year after that to start demanding a trade.
Yeah, thatís all true. Iím not saying you can make him stay, that I would classify as highly unlikely. Iím just saying that none of the packages are all that appealing to me so why not shoot for the playoffs. I feel there is value to be had at a meager playoff run when your team has had the limited success the Pelicans have had.

Also, these two conference finals series at this point seem to be mismatches. I was afraid of this. I would love the Raps to take game three as Iíll be going to game four and it would be nice if there were stakes. There is a decided lack of respect in Toronto for the Bucks by the media. The Bucks have been the more impressive team all season and there depth is really showing against the Raptors, who have none.

If the Raptors get wiped in four, some questions need to be asked about Ujiri. He has done some things well, but he isnít perfect and there are things that you can lay directly at his feet, such as the lack of depth.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

To expand on my previous post. Portland once again played a decent first half and then choked in the second. Lillard seems completely disinterested in this series. I can't tell if he's just exhausted, or is having problems at home, or just doesn't give a shit, but his play and attitude are what determine this team's play and attitude. In the second half we were treated to the spectacle of the Blazers loafing down the court, turning over the ball, and making really poor defensive moves. The Warriors, on the other hand, were fast breaking machines, full of energy, and generally a nightmare for Portland. I now fully expect them to be swept in front of the home crowd. Again.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
To expand on my previous post. Portland once again played a decent first half and then choked in the second. Lillard seems completely disinterested in this series. I can't tell if he's just exhausted, or is having problems at home, or just doesn't give a shit, but his play and attitude are what determine this team's play and attitude. In the second half we were treated to the spectacle of the Blazers loafing down the court, turning over the ball, and making really poor defensive moves. The Warriors, on the other hand, were fast breaking machines, full of energy, and generally a nightmare for Portland. I now fully expect them to be swept in front of the home crowd. Again.
It's a combination of exhaustion and realizing the futility of it all, and the matchup. Lillard put the entire team on his back to get through the first round, and the series against Denver would kill just about anyone. On top of that, now he gets to face off with Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, and Draymond Green? A team that has the offense to blow the roof of any stadium, then can turn around and hold their opponent to 13 points in a quarter? He has nothing left in the tank. None of them do. It's the same thing that happened to LeBron last year. No matter what you throw at them, the Warriors have an incredible ability to take it, turn it around, and wallop you with it. This is the same core that lost only five games in four series in 2015 to win the title. It's a monster.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:54 PM

So, if it's Warriors/Bucks, who ya got? Do you think the Warriors will run away with the series like they've done with the Blazers?
Old 05-19-2019, 09:50 PM

Toronto won Game 3 in double-overtime. You think they can even the series? I'd be very pleasantly surprised if Portland was able to win even one game against Golden State, the way those games have been so far.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:01 PM

Raptors did that in spite of FVV playing 31 minutes (apparently due to others fouling out) going 1-11. I've been wondering throughout the playoffs if the Gasol trade was worth it to them since they gave up depth including Delon Wright. And Lin apparently is unplayable at backup point guard.

Last edited by Covfefe; 05-19-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:52 AM

The Raptors absolutely can even the series. I donít know if Iíd bet on them, but Toronto winning game 4 wouldnít be a shock.

For the finals, Iíd take the Warriors in 5 over either East team.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:05 AM

Both teams are so well coached, I would bet a Bucks-Warriors would last at least 6 games regardless of if and when Durant returns.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Toronto won Game 3 in double-overtime. You think they can even the series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
The Raptors absolutely can even the series. I donít know if Iíd bet on them, but Toronto winning game 4 wouldnít be a shock.
I have absolutely no idea whether the Raptors can even the series, but I can say that out here in western Canada, the Raptors took pride-of-place tonight at my local sports bar. We got the sound on for the Raptors' game, instead of the San Jose-St. Louis hockey game. For a basketball game to get the sound on in the sports bar, instead of a playoff hockey game, means something.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Toronto won Game 3 in double-overtime. You think they can even the series? I'd be very pleasantly surprised if Portland was able to win even one game against Golden State, the way those games have been so far.
I'm hoping that they will overcome the inevitable series loss and win one for the home fans tonight, even though it means having to endure losing in Oakland.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 AM

Warriors!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 AM

Going to the Raptors game tonight so Iím pretty happy they pulled Sunday out and now they have something to play for tonight. Iím not a Raptors fan per se, but living in the city, Iíd be happy to have them move on.

(I was a Spurs fan before the Raps existed, so thereís my excuse)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Warriors!
Yeah, I have to give both teams full credit for an entertaining finale. I'm still wondering if I dreamed that Meyers Leonard not only scored 30, but was the high scorer for the entire team, and had a double-double. The guy has basically been asleep since he was drafted, and suddenly the fans are chanting his name.

Great season, Blazers; thanks for the entertainment.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:52 PM

Especially not looking forward to tonight's game considering the Bucks have been 22 -1 following a loss this season. No other team in NBA history has been able to do that.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
It really felt as if the Warriors stole that win from Portland. Terry Stott got out coached in the 2nd half - Blazers were too late to make adjustment to Warriors aggressive pick and roll D.
Or maybe it's simply that G.S. was the better team all along. Overall a good season for the 'blazers but I'm sure that the fact that they got swept by G.S. when the pitiful CLIPPERS were able to take two off of the Warriors has got to sting...at least a little bit.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:39 PM

It really feels like either an easy Bucks win, or another toss-up like game 3. Iíd be happy to be wrong and see a Raptors blowout, though .
Old 05-21-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Or maybe it's simply that G.S. was the better team all along. Overall a good season for the 'blazers but I'm sure that the fact that they got swept by G.S. when the pitiful CLIPPERS were able to take two off of the Warriors has got to sting...at least a little bit.
"We stole that win." - Steve Kerr

The Clippers might not be a top tier team, but they are far from scrubs. Their head coach is one of the best in the league. They took 2 from the Dubs because they are a good team, and they have seasoned pros like Lou Williams and Patrick Beverly that don't lose their composure when the game gets tight, as Portland did in each of their losses.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 PM

Meant to add that of course the Warriors were the far superior team, and they are one of the best that the league has ever seen.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
It really feels like either an easy Bucks win, or another toss-up like game 3.
When youíre right, youíre right.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:18 AM

Portland's expected to give Dame a supermax extension this offseason. Here's hoping that works out better than it has for John Wall and Washington.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Portland's expected to give Dame a supermax extension this offseason. Here's hoping that works out better than it has for John Wall and Washington.
I have nothing against Lillard. Iím not sure that contract is ever going to look good when you get to the last 2 years of it.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
"We stole that win." - Steve Kerr

The Clippers might not be a top tier team, but they are far from scrubs. Their head coach is one of the best in the league. They took 2 from the Dubs because they are a good team, and they have seasoned pros like Lou Williams and Patrick Beverly that don't lose their composure when the game gets tight, as Portland did in each of their losses.
My reference to the Clips being "pitiful" is that, in nearly a half-century of existence (first in Buffalo, then in San Diego, before settling in L.A.) that team has never made it past the conference semifinals. That's pretty bad. Naaaah - I'm not gonna "sugar coat" it - that's REALLY bad. (plus there was the matter of G.S. blowing that 30+ point lead against the Clips in Game 2 of that series. One of the least foreseeable outcomes of all time in a sports contest, I am sure)
Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
I have nothing against Lillard. Iím not sure that contract is ever going to look good when you get to the last 2 years of it.
He's only 28 and is in tremendous physical condition and is a team leader that is the envy of most coaches. Anything can happen, of course. In four years he'll be 32 and maybe looking at getting out of the game before his skills seriously degrade. He'll be so freaking rich that he won't need to continue to take the inevitable toll that pro sports inflicts on a player in his 30s. Right now, he's a big fish in a small franchise. Why give that up to maybe end up just another shooter on a team loaded with them?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:45 AM

For once it's nice top see the Raps win a game with something called depth, as Kawhi brings in only 19 points. I have no problem if he has more "weak" games like this if it means the whole team can rally to be competitive. Ibaka definitely made his presence known.
Cool that we actually have a series now.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
He's only 28 and is in tremendous physical condition and is a team leader that is the envy of most coaches. Anything can happen, of course. In four years he'll be 32 and maybe looking at getting out of the game before his skills seriously degrade. He'll be so freaking rich that he won't need to continue to take the inevitable toll that pro sports inflicts on a player in his 30s. Right now, he's a big fish in a small franchise. Why give that up to maybe end up just another shooter on a team loaded with them?
Maybe, but his current contract doesnít end for two years after this one. He will be 31 when he starts his supermax and the history of guards aging well isnít a great one. Aside from that, you need to give CJ McCollum and Nurkic a raise at the exact same time. That doesnít give you much room to fill out a roster. Is this core going to win you a championship? Maybe, but I highly doubt it, they just got through on a weak draw. If Portland fans are happy giving him the deal fine. I think itís a huge mistake unless he threatened to request a trade. Otherwise whatís the big hurry?

Unless you were being sarcastic. I canít always tell.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:12 AM

If he signs the rumored supermax extension, $191M / 6 years, he’d be locked in until he’s 34. Portland can build a winner around that.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
Maybe, but his current contract doesnít end for two years after this one. He will be 31 when he starts his supermax and the history of guards aging well isnít a great one. Aside from that, you need to give CJ McCollum and Nurkic a raise at the exact same time. That doesnít give you much room to fill out a roster. Is this core going to win you a championship? Maybe, but I highly doubt it, they just got through on a weak draw. If Portland fans are happy giving him the deal fine. I think itís a huge mistake unless he threatened to request a trade. Otherwise whatís the big hurry?

Unless you were being sarcastic. I canít always tell.
Good points. They really need a better player on the wing. Harkless and Aminu are good defenders, but they are nearly useless as shooters and ball handlers. Tying all the money up in those three means the team may stagnate.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
For once it's nice top see the Raps win a game with something called depth, as Kawhi brings in only 19 points. I have no problem if he has more "weak" games like this if it means the whole team can rally to be competitive. Ibaka definitely made his presence known.
Cool that we actually have a series now.
What an odd game. Norm Powell hiked up 18 shots. This year he averaged eighteen MINUTES. Hell, Chris Boucher and Jeremy Lin even got to play a couple of minutes, and I'd forgotten what Chris looks like. If you'd told me Kawhi would have just a so-so 19 point game by his standards - still, four steals, the guy is good when he's bad - I would have bet good money they lost. Instead they blew the Bucks away. 120-102 is really complimentary to Milwaukee.

But, now we go back to Milwaukee. The Bucks only have to hold serve.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Good points. They really need a better player on the wing. Harkless and Aminu are good defenders, but they are nearly useless as shooters and ball handlers. Tying all the money up in those three means the team may stagnate.
The trouble is, Iím not sure I want Portland to get rid of him, they are solid. I just think doing it now is stupid. I wish the teams had more options, I guess. Iím not against paying him, say, 30, heís really good. I just think the supermax is a problem in general and it being so much against the cap, maybe see how heís holding up in a year.

Ideally you pay him less dollars per over more years (say 210 for 7 - I know you canít). Iím curious what happens during the next CBA.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Hell, Chris Boucher and Jeremy Lin even got to play a couple of minutes,
Hey, the Raptors are 6-1 in games that Lin gets into. Clearly he needs to play more.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 PM

Leonard defended well, but it was Siakam (spelling?) that shut down the Bucks at critical moments. The Bucks played pretty well, but Giannis looked a little lost at times — and it would be nice if someone guarded Van Vleit.

Being in Wisconsin, I’m hoping the Bucks can still pull it off, but if Toronto wins the series (looking rather likely now, though far from guaranteed), I won’t be too upset. I like Toronto, too — the city, the country, the team — and I’ve long hoped to see them do this well.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:21 PM

More on the Bucks: Brogdon has played really good offense (and he’s a good defender) since returning from his injury, and George Hill has been a steady presence off the bench....but what’s up with Mirotic? I thought he was supposed to be better than this. Just not meshing with their style of play, or what?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:00 AM

The Bucks should have had Brogdon starting from the beginning of the series, and yeah, after a while I was going - "just give the ball to Mirotic". Van Vliet needed a half-decent game, with 21 points, considering his overall play-off performance has been ass. Luckily Lowry's "it hurts on everything" sprained thumb and Kawhi's leg issue didn't seem too apparent, and hopefully those injuries won't flare up. Lowry mentioned he won't be able to get properly treated until after the play-offs, so surely it'll get worse the more he plays, so - a concern.
The Raptors never gotten this far - winning a third game in a conference final.

Double overtime again in game six back in TO.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 05-24-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 AM

FVV now up to 33% from the field for the playoffs. Two games earlier he was at 26%. Nick Nurse is one patient mf. I'm glad I stopped having 'favorite' sports teams in 2008 after the Brewers ended their playoff drought.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:15 AM

First of all, I hate these "North" jerseys. They're ugly and it's not like a throwback historical reference, just a Nike ploy to sell merch.
Second of all, Toronto's help defense when Giannis wants to take 2 giant steps to the bucket from outside the 3 point line was, at times, awesome. If you crowd the lane he will sometimes forget that he can kick it out to a shooter and instead just kind of get lost.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
First of all, I hate these "North" jerseys. They're ugly and it's not like a throwback historical reference, just a Nike ploy to sell merch.
Really! I watched last nightís game. It was the first Iíd seen of either Toronto or Milwaukee in a long time. Iím checking out who the Warriors will play next.

I have no idea what those North jerseys were about. Seems stupid.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
Hey, the Raptors are 6-1 in games that Lin gets into. Clearly he needs to play more.
Lin is a human victory cigar for the Raptors, like Tracy McGrady was for the Spurs in 2013.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I have no idea what those North jerseys were about. Seems stupid.
As wiki sums it up:
Quote:
In April 2014, the Raptors unveiled a new imaging campaign developed by the agency Sid Lee, "We The North", built around a manifesto that was meant to embrace the team's trait of being an "outsider" from the "north side", and the accompanying feelings of players and fans.
And, as Barkis mentioned - merch.
Definitely not a fan of them, either, especially the white ones with gold chevron. I can be lawnchairey about that stuff - even the Chinese New Year jerseys I wasn't crazy about either.

Hopefully Drake will try to sneak up from behind and massage Mike Budenholzer's shoulders tonight.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:18 PM

The Raptors did it! 100-94
Old 05-25-2019, 11:33 PM

Was surprised to learn that the Raptors (which I nearly typed as the Ratpros) still have homecourt advantage over the Warriors. They'll need every bit of it.