Old 06-06-2019, 07:12 AM

Is there a maximum mountain elevation?

I was hiking in my local mountain chain yesterday and got to wondering about what determines the height of mountains. Is there some sort of natural geological maximum elevation mountains can reach?

And along the same lines, during geological history, would there have been mountains that were higher than the Himalayas are now?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:20 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

This site claims 10 km (about 33,000 feet) as the ceiling, and uses a lot of math to determine that number, but I don't know how good this analysis really is.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 06-06-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 AM

I can't find a reference now, but I've read that the central pangean mountains

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent...gean_Mountains

Now represented by some very modest mountain ranges, like the Appalachians, were the highest the world has seen. (But have worn down over the ages.)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

@QtM If the site is correct, Mauna Kea is pushing the limit because it is 10,203 meters from base to peak, not just the part that got its head above water.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

It helps, though, that most of it is underwater. Stone doesn't float, but it's still at least somewhat buoyant.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:10 AM

If they get too high they could possibly flip over in the ocean? I know there was some concern in the past about Guam possibly flipping over, due to massive build up there.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:51 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
If they get too high they could possibly flip over in the ocean? I know there was some concern in the past about Guam possibly flipping over, due to massive build up there.
I have read that our politicians are closely monitoring that situation. I'd leave the matter in their capable hands.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:27 AM

My understanding is that some soft limits are determined by isostasy, and that if a mountain extends upwards, it has to have a "root" that extends downwards into the crust, and there is a limit to how deep that root can go before it melts at the bottom.

Mountains can still rise above that level if some process is actively pushing them up, but that puts a long-term soft limit.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I've heard something similar for the island of Tenerife. It is composed of three different undersea mountains fused together, and possibly some part of it could collapse into the sea. But I might have the wrong Canary island in mind. I would think that there's just a massive avalanche, not sure what you mean by 'flipping over'.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:59 AM

In theory, if god made it with the correct materials when he blinked the universe into existence it could extend up into orbit, a natural space elevator.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
In theory, if god made it with the correct materials when he blinked the universe into existence it could extend up into orbit, a natural space elevator.
I'm quite confused. Are you trying to mock people who mock your religious beliefs by mocking religious beliefs yourself? Are you a metamocker?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

The Guam bit is a reference to a politician some years back who was worried about the island capsizing if it had too much weight on it. Islands don't actually work that way.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Not sure about Guam, but if this XKCD poster is accurate, than the ratio of Mauna Kea's height to width is such that it can't "fall over"; it's already lying down. I'd be surprised if other islands had height/width ratios that posed a risk of the entire island toppling over.

The actual Guam remark by Hank Johnson was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Johnson
Yeah, my fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize.
His remark was preceded by a discussion of the length and width of the island (as a measure of land area), but no mention of altitude or local sea depth - and it was followed by remarks about enviromental degradation. He was not actually addressing the geological instability of the island; rather, it was a facetious commentary regarding a large influx of US military personnel, their dependents, and construction workers. However, because of his lack of any comedic cues while he was speaking, everyone took his remark at face value.

Last edited by Machine Elf; 06-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I've heard something similar for the island of Tenerife. It is composed of three different undersea mountains fused together, and possibly some part of it could collapse into the sea. But I might have the wrong Canary island in mind. I would think that there's just a massive avalanche, not sure what you mean by 'flipping over'.
La Palma is the one usually cited. In depth discussion about the mega tsunami possibility at this AGU blog post: https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/...thesis-part-1/

The author doesn't believe in the hypothesis, but nevertheless lays out the evidence for it pro and con.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
La Palma is the one usually cited. In depth discussion about the mega tsunami possibility at this AGU blog post: https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/...thesis-part-1/

The author doesn't believe in the hypothesis, but nevertheless lays out the evidence for it pro and con.
Thanks. When I heard about this it sounded kind of hokey. It sounded like half the island would just sink into the ocean leaving the other half standing.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 PM

Feynman mentions this limit in passing at the 48 minute mark of this interview video. Any excuse to show people that video .
Old 06-06-2019, 10:57 PM

On a related note, I've always wondered why Earth seems to have such runty mountains; it's my understanding that many of the other rocky bodies of the solar system - Mars, some of the moons of Jupiter, and possibly Venus - have mountains that make ours look like molehills. I know that's true for Mars, which is smaller than Earth. I might be wrong on the premise, too, since the only ones I'm sure are huge mountains are on Mars - maybe wherever I heard that other planets/moons also have huge mountains was wrong?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:15 AM

Watch the video clip I posted .

The mountains are higher because those bodies are smaller than the earth. Lower gravity means that the rock can support a larger mountain before collapsing.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemnosyne View Post
On a related note, I've always wondered why Earth seems to have such runty mountains; it's my understanding that many of the other rocky bodies of the solar system - Mars, some of the moons of Jupiter, and possibly Venus - have mountains that make ours look like molehills.
I don't know how much of a difference it makes but they all have lower gravity than Earth. Erosion is different too: the moon has no wind or rain, Mars has less than we do, and AFAIK Venus doesn't have frost shattering.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Gravity is the biggest factor. The strength of the materials doesn't change that much, but the forces on a more massive planet are much higher.

Last edited by Telemark; 06-07-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:13 PM

I was under the impression that the water cycle was the main reason mountains eroded. Even if it's constantly frozen, it at least is much faster in carrying down the highest parts of the mountain than just wind.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 AM

thanks everyone. Very helpful explanations.

I was wondering whether the lack of oxygen at that elevation would have any impact on erosion of the rock? Oxidation being less and all that.... But of course the rock is covered by ice in most cases, so probably not in much contact with the air.

Another thing that just struck me is whether it means anything that the 'death zone' for humans coincides with the limit to mountain elevation. Perhaps as humans evolved there was no need for their bodies to survive on less oxygen than is available at 8,000 meters, since they couldn't go higher than that anyway?

Just a few idle thoughts...
Old 06-12-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville mogul View Post
Another thing that just struck me is whether it means anything that the 'death zone' for humans coincides with the limit to mountain elevation. Perhaps as humans evolved there was no need for their bodies to survive on less oxygen than is available at 8,000 meters, since they couldn't go higher than that anyway?
The death zone boundary is a bit fuzzier than the name suggests:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect...tude_on_humans

As adaptable as human beings are, I think we evolved that adapatibility before we started exploring very high altitudes. At those sorts of altitudes, there's not much in the way of food (or anything else) to be had, so any kind of settlement requires a modern supply chain, something that wouldn't have existed thousands of years ago. FWIW, the highest permanent settlement is only at 16,700 feet. People currently living at high elevations do exhibit physiological adaptations, but it's unclear whether these are due to nature (i.e. evolution) or nurture (i.e. exposure to high elevation from the moment of conception).
Old 06-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
People currently living at high elevations do exhibit physiological adaptations, but it's unclear whether these are due to nature (i.e. evolution) or nurture (i.e. exposure to high elevation from the moment of conception).
Recent report says that Tibetans got one gene that adapts them to high altitudes from interbreeding with Denisovans.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
Recent report says that Tibetans got one gene that adapts them to high altitudes from interbreeding with Denisovans.
Someone brought this report up in a conversation over dinner last night. I wonder if there's any similar pattern in Peruvians with similar genetic adaptations.