Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 AM

What kind of pocketknife or multi-tool do you routinely carry?

I like to carry a small, simple little pocket knife on my person as I go about my daily business. I don't want to carry anything too big and bulky and I have no need of the huge multi-tools with nineteen different "features" that do nothing but add weight and cost. For many years, my preferred blade has been an "Old-Timer" similar to THIS ONE. As far as I'm concerned, for my needs, a pocketknife doesn't need to get much more complicated than this. With that being said, my old trusty has grown legs somehow and rather than just buy another out of habit, I thought I'd throw it out to the boards and find out what the wizened ones carry. Maybe it's time for an upgrade? I wouldn't mind finding one that can go on my key chain. Maybe I wouldn't lose one every decade or so like I've been doing. If it has a convenient bottle opener that can be used without unfolding anything, so much the better.

Thoughts? What bladed tool is in your pocket right now?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:03 AM

I have a small (yellow) Victorinox Swiss Army Knife from a camping store. No scissors or corkscrew. I love the big red ones, but keep losing them. This has a limited selection of blades I actually use.

I really like Boy Scout knives too, for the same size/utility ratio. Also, unlike the Swiss army, I was actually a Boy Scout.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I have a small Swiss Army Knife that I use often.

I also carry around a multitool that I rarely use; it's not particularly good at anything.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Very small Case single blade pocket knife. I think it's probably their smallest model. Until retirement I carried a multi-tool in the side pocket of my lunchbox, but I don't want anything bulky or large in my pocket. Like you (OP), I can do 99% of my knife needs with the tiny one.

Don't get me started on the new hunters with their giant "tactical" knives. My hunting blade is also very small (3"). I think most people really go overboard on knives, but that's just my opinion I guess. The only time I've carried a really large knife was when it was a requirement for my job.

Last edited by pullin; 08-25-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
The only time I've carried a really large knife was when it was a requirement for my job.
Crocodile Dundee...?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:46 AM

Another small Swiss Army Knife user here.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:50 AM

About a 2.5" Buck lock back. Nice wooden handle. It, I think has a little class and is a very strong tool.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:03 AM

I carry a Gerber mulitool. On a regular basis I use the pliers, blade, scissors, and open paint cans. It goes in a belt pouch on my right hip.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Swiss Army Knife. Huntsman's model.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

A Kershaw Scallion. Spring-loaded one hand opening, and holds an edge really well. I use this on a daily basis for a variety of things and hate leaving it at home when I travel.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM

I would carry a utility knife, but the knife laws here in Ohio are complex and dependent on municipality. I have heard stories of people being arrested on suspicion of carrying a concealed weapon for carrying a knife. Until Ohio changes their laws on this, I'm not carrying one.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:44 AM

Depends on what your daily business is, doesn't it?

But I think it is safe to say that an authentic old-timer's folding knife for general utility, the type that has been around for centuries, has nothing but a single carbon steel blade. Maybe a corkscrew/bottle opener built into the handle if you want to get cute.

That doesn't mean you should not get a Leatherman Micra type of tool (or even thinner) that hangs on your keychain if you find that's what you actually end up using on a daily basis.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:48 AM

I carry one of the large, locking SAKs in my pocket. It is the same model they sell to the German military albeit with a smooth, not serrated, edge. There is a Leatherman Wave in my purse. All of my keychains have some kind of little tool with a blade on them.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:02 AM

A box cutter, one of those that fold like a pocketknife. I use it as a moneyclip. I simply never learned to like sharpening knives, so now I don't.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 08-25-2019, 10:27 AM

I own a single-bladed locking old timer, which I like. But right now my daily carry is a little knife that fits on my key chain:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SOG-...FE/3129341.uts

It's a surprisingly sharp blade, holds its edge, and while it takes a little more effort to cut something large, like an apple, it's a useful blade that weighs almost nothing and takes no room in my pocket.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 AM

I use the smallest Schrade with a loop for my key chain.

Dennis
Old 08-25-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I own a single-bladed locking old timer, which I like. But right now my daily carry is a little knife that fits on my key chain:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SOG-...FE/3129341.uts

It's a surprisingly sharp blade, holds its edge, and while it takes a little more effort to cut something large, like an apple, it's a useful blade that weighs almost nothing and takes no room in my pocket.
I bought a two-pack of those key knives back in 2017. I ended up giving them, on separate occasions, to coworkers who expressed a liking of them.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I have a Leatherman Micra. The scissors actually work well and that's what I use the most.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I couldn't carry a knife or pocket tool when I was working so I got out of the habit of carrying one.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:10 PM

I often carry a Leatherman Freestyle. It's about a 3-inch blade, with some small pliers and a wire cutter, and that's it. Small and simple, and most of the time that's all I need.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:14 PM

A lock-blade with wooden handle, stainless blade about 3.5''. Very good for killing fish and rinsing mushrooms.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:15 PM

I have a mini Swiss Army knife without a blade on my key chain that's TSA compliant, so I don't have to remember whether I have a blade on me when I go places that don't allow them. I also have regular Swiss Army knives, large and small, but I don't carry them much anymore.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Victorinox Swiss Soldier's Knife 08 for last ten years or so.
Before that- regular old "soldier's" SAK (blade, screwdriver, can opener, awl) for 45+ years.
And before that, standard issue Boy Scouts Of America jackknife.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:57 PM

A Kobalt brand folding/locking utility knife. Has a spare blade resevoir in the handle that holds 6 blades. I've had it several years, long enough that I'm loathe to give it up for a new one even though it's starting to wear out. When you can find the new version the critical peices are made of plastic (for instance the lock that keeps the blade in place). I use it too much to trust my fingers or somebody's sofa to shoddy manufacture practices and standards.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:00 PM

I have several Leatherman Squirts, including ones with scissors, pliers, and wire-strippers as the main tools. I've tried small Gerbers, SOGs, and Swiss Army knives of various types, but the Leathermans are what I keep putting in my pocket.

I also carry several different assisted opening knives from time to time, but I travel quite a bit and some jurisdictions are VERY knife-unfriendly. Just as in the UK, they don't like any knife that isn't your grandfather's basic two-blade pocketknife, regardless of blade length or how it opens. Tanto blades and serrated blades are especially frowned upon.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM

Mini-Leatherman.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
... find out what the wizened ones carry...?
I'm old and wizened enough to remember when it was more than acceptable to have a small, 2-bladed pocketknife on your person in grade school and have no worry about getting reprimanded or suspended. Indeed, one teacher found it handy that she could call on me for assistance with a project and I had a knife in my pocket.

That said...I carry a small assortment of tools, not in my pocket now, but my car: a box cutter, scissors, small screwdriver, and diagonal pliers. That seems to cover most emergencies in my world.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:17 PM

As I abuse knifes by cutting open boxes etc...I tend to the high tech steels. Note that I live in and travel to states with odd carry laws due to firearm laws so I went away from a basic pocket knife to a "tactical" type because it has a clip and is thus not "conceded" in any states I travel to. I use to wear out Spyderco Delica when they were less expensive but a lady friend bought me a Spyderco Positron Flipper which is far more expensive than I would ever buy on my own. But it's fancy metal blade has stayed sharp for years now and I should find a professional sharpener as I guess it is hard to sharpen but at least I am not needing to sharpen it all the time like I did with my "old timer" back in my teenage years.

Oddly enough "your grandfather's basic two-blade pocketknife" is still a concealed weapon in many states I spend time in where this 3" locking knife is not. It is also more socially acceptable than the old box knifes I use to carry around until 9/11. I don't need the tactical part of the knife but the market is pretty saturated with products in that space these days.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:00 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Daily carry at school is a Leatherman Squirt P4. Weekends I add a Kershaw 1605. There is also a SAK Classic on the spare key set, a Gerber Suspension in the center console, and a SAK Officer's in the bowl with my keys.

We won't even get into the multi-tools in my various desks. And packs.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
The only time I've carried a really large knife was when it was a requirement for my job.

Crocodile Dundee...?
Deckhand/Rigger on a laybarge. A large part of my job was marlinspike seamanship, and the foreman required anyone working his deck to have a substantial sheathed knife in order to free themselves quickly. There was a very real danger from uncoiling rope as we set up for towing and vessels pulled taut against the tow lines.

Last edited by pullin; 08-25-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

SAK & Leatherman. But not at work, where I carry just a small SAK.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Leatherman Squirt P4 as well. An almost perfect pocket multi-tool.

But the most useful thing I carry is a CREE mini keychain flashlight. It has several brightness modes. On the half-lumen setting you can use it to read a concert program in the dark or find your seat without annoying anyone else. On higher brightness settings it's useful to illuminate dark areas where cables need to be plugged in, looking for things in the back of the vehicle or under the hood, or even reading fine print on items in the store (more light = more acuity).
Old 08-25-2019, 03:05 PM

My EDC is a Leatherman Skeletool: A blade, pliers, bottle opener, screwdriver with 2 two-sided bits on board. I no longer keep it in a pocket as there isn't room (lost weight and smaller jeans have pockets with smaller openings), I hang it off my belt by the pocket clip instead.

Standard issue at work is an Olfa SK-4.

If I'm packing light, I'll go with a Kershaw Leek.

-DF

Last edited by Dancer_Flight; 08-25-2019 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Tool isn't too bulky, I'm just now less so.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Medium Swiss Army Knife. Have carried one for about 45 years. Back in grad school the key broke off in the lock of my apartment, I was able to use it to break in through a window.

Also have a Leatherman but don't carry it. Mostly useful for the small screwdriver and the scissors which I use for nail clippers.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:46 PM

An aluminum bottle opener (the device is aluminum, the bottles are usually glass). During hiking, backpacking a simple single blade knife, sort of like the OP's 'large' blade, but a bit more, but over all I would bet less weight. During backcountry travels a more substantial knife that can be used for simple hacking, for the Camino de Santiago across Spain, a very small knife, about the size of the OP's small knife and a cork screw attached Let the tool fit the job.

Last edited by kanicbird; 08-25-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

My EDC is a Kershaw Leek It holds a razor sharp edge and the assisted opening enables one hand usage.

Last edited by longhair75; 08-25-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Schrade SS648 3rd Generation Stainless. Bought back when they came out, in the early ‘80s, as I remember. I’ve carried it almost every day, I’ve even flown with it back when air travel was fun.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Lots of Kershaw fans in this thread.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Lots of Kershaw fans in this thread.
I'm conflicted about Kershaw. I like their designs, by and large, and their upper-end stuff is really good. The problem is that their lower-end stuff is sometimes lower end to the point of being shoddy.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
I'm conflicted about Kershaw. I like their designs, by and large, and their upper-end stuff is really good. The problem is that their lower-end stuff is sometimes lower end to the point of being shoddy.
I've had two of the Kershaw Scallions (the first one was confiscated a few years ago ) and at a $30+ price point, I couldn't ask for a sturdier or more reliable knife.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:02 PM
born to be shunned

Within the limits of the local laws my Buck 110 has been on my belt since about 1974. Other than that I usually have a keychain mini-Swiss Army Knife on me and a Remington multi-tool in the car. I also routinely have one of several Case cow-pattern folders I own on me.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:02 PM

I carry a Swiss army knife. I routinely use both the knife blades (one's often sharper than the other at any given moment), the screwdrivers, the scissors, the tweezers, and sometimes the awl. In order to get all of that, I seem to always wind up with a tool or two I don't need. (What is that thing with the curved hook on the end, anyway?)

Years ago I used to need one that also had a corkscrew, but these days if I'm drinking wine I'm a lot more likely to be drinking it in a building that's already corkscrew-equipped. And more wines don't need one, anyway.

I've occasionally forgotten to leave it behind when going into some building that doesn't allow pocketknives, but so far the only thing that's happened is that I've had to leave it at the security desk and pick it up on the way back out.

How do people who don't carry pocketknives get modern packaging open?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 PM

I have a small-bladed Buck knife on my keychain. Good for taking cuttings if I see a plant that would benefit from asexual reproduction.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

NYC, which has very strict gun laws, doesn’t seem to have any prohibitions on carrying reasonably-sized pocket knives (no switchblades or gravity knives, tho). My black friends don’t carry utile blades because they’d be more likely to be busted by the NYPD, and make fun of me for keeping one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_K55K

I habitually carry this little beauty, the German Mercator K55K, a lockback with a Solingen blade that’s been in continual production since 1856. I like knives with folded steel handles, because most of the price goes to the blade itself and not a fancy handle, so they’re fairly cheap to replace (I’ve had a few Buck knives with pretty wood handles, but they cost me a lot when I lost them). I also have a folded-steel French “Douk-Douk” knife and a couple of the Japanese version (the blades are shaped like Samurai swords), but the lockback feature makes the German my favorite.

Like the wise man said, if you carry a knife, there are two questions you hear every day:
1. “Why do you carry a knife????
2. “Can I borrow your knife?”

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 08-25-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 PM

After losing several keychain SAKs to the TSA over the years, I've switched to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Northwall-Mul.../dp/B07D91BC1D

It does well enough ripping open packing tape.

I have a 25-year-old first-gen Leatherman in the glove compartment of the car and stick a Juice in my pocket whenever I'm doing something handy around the house.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:49 PM

Victorinox Cybertool Lite. It's a bit bulky, but as an emergency toolkit, it's damned handy.
And it opens boxes, too.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Small SAK Classic with the car keychain and/or in the desk drawer. If I know I'm going into some location that's obnoxiously anal about even small blades (I mean, come on, this SAK is OK with the US Capitol Police to enter the House Office Buildings...), I can detach it and leave it in the cupholder. Also, off-brand Leatherman-knockoff multitool included with the car emergency kit.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:58 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I have a multi tool in my car, but don't carry one on my person. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I needed one on my person where it couldn't wait until I got home or to my car.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:27 PM

On my keychain is a fingernail clipper/bottle opener. I don't drink many beverages that require a bottle opener, but I do use it for my nails all the time. Regular nail clippers get lost instantly in my house.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:39 AM

First of all, many thanks to those who posted. I'm a bit surprised by the popularity of the Swiss army knives, they always just seemed rather gimmicky and kind of shoddy to me. My experience is rather limited with them though so I should probably give them another look before commenting further.

With that being said, I LIKE this bit of kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black rabbit View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Northwall-Mul.../dp/B07D91BC1D

It does well enough ripping open packing tape.
Cheap enough to buy several and to lose one without stress. Too simple to break and small enough to carry everywhere. It won't replace an EDC pocketknife for me but it's a wonderful add on.