Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:25 AM
mhendo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 25,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
You want cheap, ready access to air travel, move near a major airport. Or, as others have observed, make use of the readily available and very inexpensive busses that will take you to nearby airports. You choose to live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, then either stay there or pay what it costs to escape.
OP, if I can put this in a slightly more charitable way than Dinsdale, maybe you could think about it this way: instead of focusing on how much it costs you to fly somewhere, focus instead on how much cheaper your life is because you're not dealing with the expenses of living in a large city.

Until a few months ago, I lived in San Diego, and was a 10 to 15-minute cab ride from the airport. My wife is originally from San Francisco, and we could fly up to visit her family for ridiculously cheap prices. If we booked ahead, it wasn't unusual to get $49 fares each way. Because San Diego is a pretty major airport, we could also get all over the country for reasonable prices.

We recently moved to eastern coastal Connecticut. We're over an hour from the closest airports, which are Hartford (BDL) and Providence (PVD). We recently booked flights to San Francisco for Christmas, and its costing us about $600 each for airfare alone, plus the hassle and cost of driving to Hartford and paying for ten days of airport parking.

But our housing costs here are a good $500 per month less than they were in San Diego. Gas is a dollar a gallon cheaper. My internet connection is half the price it was in San Diego, for the same level of service.

If I complained about my housing costs and the price of gas in California, you'd probably suggest that I move somewhere cheaper. Everywhere we choose to live has benefits and drawbacks, payoffs and inconveniences. The reason it's expensive to fly from smaller airports is that demand for those airports isn't as great, and fewer airlines send fewer planes into and out of those locations. But that reduced demand often means that it's also cheaper to live in places with smaller airports, while major airports are often in areas with high demand and high costs of living. Very few people get to have the best of all possible worlds.
  #52  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
OP, if I can put this in a slightly more charitable way than Dinsdale, maybe you could think about it this way: instead of focusing on how much it costs you to fly somewhere, focus instead on how much cheaper your life is because you're not dealing with the expenses of living in a large city..
It is a point very well made.

I live in a small rural town, London and the closest major airports are a fair distance away but the small amount of added expense and time for getting to the airport by car or train every now and again is dwarfed by the lower cost of my living expenses. I can get to Heathrow in 3 hours, door to door, for about 30 return. Even if I were right in London it'd take me an hour and cost 10. Am I willing to put up with that extra hassle and cost? yes, because I can live in a house that costs a third of what it would in London and walk on the beach each day.
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #53  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
errr...........so you can take less clothes? so you don't have to lug a massive case? so you don't have to pay extra for baggage fees? so you don't have to wait for the carousel? so you don't get shafted by late or lost baggage? so your hire car can be smaller and cheaper? so you can wear things you like more than once?

apart from that, no reason.
I'd rather pay baggage fees than do laundry on vacation.
  #54  
Old 09-20-2019, 09:20 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 22,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I'd rather pay baggage fees than do laundry on vacation.
You do you. For many of us the ability to travel light allows us to do things on vacation we couldn't otherwise do. When hiking we're carrying everything on our backs all day. You can go further, faster, easier if you have less weight. There's no need to organize luggage transfer, deal with checked baggage, or keeping track of your gear on trains/buses.

Lately we're traveling with two sets of clothing; hiking/biking/skiing and hut. And hut clothes double as city/travel clothing.
  #55  
Old 09-20-2019, 09:23 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
You do you. For many of us the ability to travel light allows us to do things on vacation we couldn't otherwise do. When hiking we're carrying everything on our backs all day. You can go further, faster, easier if you have less weight. There's no need to organize luggage transfer, deal with checked baggage, or keeping track of your gear on trains/buses.

Lately we're traveling with two sets of clothing; hiking/biking/skiing and hut. And hut clothes double as city/travel clothing.
Hiking? On vacation? The hell you say!

Serious question, what is "hut clothes"?

Edited to add: Yes, I can see why traveling light when doing that type of vacation would be preferential.

Last edited by manson1972; 09-20-2019 at 09:24 AM.
  #56  
Old 09-21-2019, 11:46 PM
cjackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 72
The airport nearest me is Tri-Cities Airport (TRI). It has few direct flights and is in an Appalachia hicktown.
  #57  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:09 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackson View Post
The airport nearest me is Tri-Cities Airport (TRI). It has few direct flights and is in an Appalachia hicktown.
I know where that is. This is exactly what we've been talking about - you're an hour and a half from Knoxville down I-81, and even less than that from Asheville. Bet you can get cheaper flights either of those places.
  #58  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:56 AM
nelliebly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
You want cheap, ready access to air travel, move near a major airport. Or, as others have observed, make use of the readily available and very inexpensive busses that will take you to nearby airports. You choose to live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, then either stay there or pay what it costs to escape.
Yeah, simple. This logic reminds me of the guy who asked why all the starving people in Ethiopia didn't just move to where there was no drought.
  #59  
Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 AM
Fleetwood's Avatar
Fleetwood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: NH-US
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackson View Post
Seriously, when you have no major airports around and must rely on regional airports the prices are ridiculous. I'm just venting because everywhere worth going is over one thousand dollars in cattle class. How the hell do people afford to travel? Anyway, if there are any of you stuck in a hicktown like me and want to sound off about exorbitant prices, please do so.
Right now, Expedia will get me to LAX from TRI on Delta, leaving tomorrow (Monday) afternoon and returning Sunday overnight for $588.00.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017