Old 09-20-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Bots in Word With Friends? Is this some kind of phishing attempt?

Note, this is a question about something that's happening in the game Words With Friends, but it's not about the game itself, which is why I didn't put it in the Game Room.

I have a core group of friends and family that I play WWF with. About two weeks ago, a game invite showed up from some random woman. After dithering back and forth for a while, I went ahead and accepted the game and started playing. Two or three days later, the same thing happened again, and I accepted that one as well.

I strongly suspect that these "players" were some kind of bot, possibly some sort of phishing attempt. They all appear to be young attractive females, based on the player names and photos. What's suspicious is, no matter what time of day or night I took my turn, they played immediately after I did. (Although that can be explained by having game notifications on.) Also, while playing against rando #1 and rando #2, when I finished my game against rando #1 then a new game invite immediately popped up from rando #3 (which I declined). When I finished my game with rando #2, it happened again with rando #4 (which I have yet to accept or decline).

What makes me think it's NOT a phishing attempt is that no attempt was made to contact me through the game's IM or anything -- it just played out like a normal game. But if it's not phishing, I can't really figure out what the point was.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:07 AM

WWF will "suggest" other players. The interface states that they're friends of your existing friends. Whether that's true or not, it is at least a nice fig leaf.

I've occasionally clicked one of them to start a game, if I was bored & killing time. I am female, and not unattractive, so I suppose *I* have been the "rando" on the other side of the OP's query.

I'd like to confirm that I am not a bot.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:18 AM

Maybe someone is just training/running their bots; that's a thing now in online competitive video gaming.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
WWF will "suggest" other players. The interface states that they're friends of your existing friends. Whether that's true or not, it is at least a nice fig leaf.
That was my first thought when the game from rando #1 popped up. But the pattern of behavior just seems suspicious, especially the new games from other random players popping up as soon as I finished a game with another random player. Like, within seconds.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:48 PM

I would suspect that bots would often be friends with other bots. So once you accept one, you open yourself up to the others.

As for why they add you in the first place: on Facebook, they would always eventually send you spam, or post it to their profile.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 AM

Somewhat related, why do random guys start games with me and immediately start a chat? Dude, at least wow me with your intellect first. Then fuck off.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:52 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniaMama View Post
Somewhat related, why do random guys start games with me and immediately start a chat? Dude, at least wow me with your intellect first. Then fuck off.
I have had several female friends tell me that random males will try to start something with them on WWF. It seems 70/30 scams to creeps.