Old 02-05-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Colonel Klink will threaten to send Sgt Shultz to the Southern Front.
And then Col Hogan can dig elaborate tunnels under Shultz and the rest of the line.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Morgyn, don't forget the cost to ensure everyone on the human wall is legally permitted to work in the US. We don't want a repeat of the Trump golf club incident.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:39 AM

Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty says we don't need health care because God will take care of us when we die.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/duck-d...-to-me-by-god/
Old 02-06-2019, 01:39 AM

Here's yer hat, adios, motherfucker....
Old 02-06-2019, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
On the driver's side window .... backwards.
I'd say that just evil, but you're assuming they can read.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty says we don't need health care because God will take care of us when we die.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/duck-d...-to-me-by-god/
I guess you have to get even more stupid to get the press interested in you again.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 02-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I'd say that just evil, but you're assuming they can read.
Just leave this on a slip of paper, tucked into the wiper.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Sadly, the Illuminati has become irrelevant in the Trump era. Today's conspiracy theorists have no recognition of alien lizards, number signals, or Skull and Bones societies. Those are Cold War notions that have grown quaint or largely forgotten in the overt ubiquity of social media. The Russians openly fix elections and are cheered for it. The president hides nothing about his evil intentions. Obama, Hillary and CNN are the conspiracy.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:26 PM

Congressman Matt Gaetz says that the US would be safer if we build a wall than if we have background checks for gun purchases.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/g...moved-hearing?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrate View Post
just leave this on a slip of paper, tucked into the wiper.
👁🔍🧬📝📡
Old 02-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
I'm trying (probably unsuccessfully) to do some back-of-the-envelope calculations for how much something like that would cost ... one person every 5 feet or so, so they can hold hands without straining ... you get over $135 BILLION for a year's wages.
Holding hands?! You some kind of pinko commie softy liberal?

Look, the effective range of an M16 is 550m. Put a foxhole every kilometer of the 3,145 km of the border. Add 4 patriots per foxhole to take watches. Double that so you can trade out reserves... let's double that again for cooks, clerks, infrastructure, etc... mmm carry, the one... that's 50,320 people... let's budget an annual salary around $30,000 (E3 to E5 range)... 1.5bn and change.

(I wonder if I need to mark this as sarcasm.)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollyon View Post
Holding hands?! You some kind of pinko commie softy liberal?
Maybe if it paid well enough.

Right now I'm just a progressive liberal who thinks, hey! Full employment could be achieved if we just do what the CFSG says and build a wall out of people. He didn't say nothin' about no guns, so I took him at his <cough> word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollyon View Post
<snip>(I wonder if I need to mark this as sarcasm.)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Congressman Matt Gaetz says that the US would be safer if we build a wall than if we have background checks for gun purchases.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/g...moved-hearing?
That man is a puckered poopchute, without question. But as ideas go, a massive, impenetrable wall around Florida is not the worst I've heard. I've seen Disney World already, went to an alligator farm, barfed up Busch on a white sand beach at Spring Break. That's about all there is, so might as well lock it the fuck down.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
That man is a puckered poopchute, without question. But as ideas go, a massive, impenetrable wall around Florida is not the worst I've heard. I've seen Disney World already, went to an alligator farm, barfed up Busch on a white sand beach at Spring Break. That's about all there is, so might as well lock it the fuck down.
Ummm....
Old 02-06-2019, 10:54 PM

One hundred and ten percent humidity and the stench of rotting grapefruit.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Ummm....
For, you know, dealing with sea level rise.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 AM

The Hill runs a breathless article with the clickbait headline Mueller hauled before secret FISA court to address FBI abuses in 2002, Congress told.

Turns out it's an opinion piece from John F. Solomon who is a notorious right wing shill and what actually happened (and can be ascertained even through the weasel-wording of the piece) is after he became FBI director the FISA court asked Mueller to rein in post 9/11 FISA abuse by FBI agents before he became director and he proceeded to do exactly that.
Quote:
Most of the omissions occurred in FBI work that pre-dated Mueller’s arrival, the sources said. But the court wanted assurances the new sheriff in town was going to stop such widespread abuses.

Mueller told the court the FBI had created a new system called the Woods Procedures — named for the FBI lawyer who drafted them — to ensure FISA warrant applications were accurate and did not omit material information, according to Anderson’s congressional interview.

“My understanding is he committed to the court to address the problem and then that the series of reforms that we implemented, including the use of the Woods form, were the direct result of his engagement before the FISA court,” Anderson told Congress.
Used to be so-called "law and order" Republicans would appreciate such a thing. Now they try and use buzzwords like the headline to muddy what happened seventeen years ago with Google searches that include Mueller and FISA court today (most of that is bullshit as well, but that's par for the course).

Last edited by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear; 02-07-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:36 AM

Which number is larger? 400 or 40,000? GOP Congressman flunks this 4th-grade math problem.

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) insists that the 400 killings by immigrants are a bigger problem than last year's 40,000 gun deaths, taking care to insult the parents of two victims of the Parkland massacre, even asking for them to be evicted.

Quote:
“I hope that we’ll deal with all the drivers of violence,” he said. “The greatest driver of violence — in the circumstances that I indicated — was not the firearm. It’s the fact that we have an immigration system that allows people to come here violently ...”
Gaetz ― who was condemned last year for inviting a Holocaust denier and white nationalist to the State of the Union address ― doubled down on Twitter, saying that anyone worried about gun violence should “join us to #BuildTheWall.”
One of the grieving fathers claimed to be thrilled by Gaetz' fetid stench:
Quote:
“I found what he did, to treat what happened to our families that way, it’s disgusting, despicable and vile,” Guttenberg said. “But I’m actually thrilled Mr. Gaetz acted like Mr. Gaetz. I think it was wonderful for the American people to see who he is as a person.”

He added: “This is the kind of behavior that got us to where we are — where 40k per year are dying from guns.”
Give Gaetz some credit: It took $2500 for him to become a NRA whore. As reported in these threads, the Donald Thrump has revealed that his price is 13˘.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

How much did the NRA charge to be Putin's whore?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:02 PM

Dana Loesch: Send the NRA money so we can stop Kamala Harris.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dana-l...us-money-now/?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dana Loesch: Send the NRA money
Nah! I don't need to send any of my money; the Russians have totally got this.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:18 PM

Tommy Norment, the Republican majority leader of the Virginia state Senate, was an editor of the Virginia Military Institute yearbook which contained ethnic slurs and blackface pictures.
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...207-story.html
Old 02-07-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
How much did the NRA charge to be Putin's whore?
Vlad's puta?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:23 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

In response to student demonstrations at Berkeley, Michigan Republican and secretary of the Marquette County Republican Party Dan Adamini says it's time for another Kent State.
Quote:
“Violent protesters who shut down free speech? Time for another Kent State perhaps. One bullet stops a lot of thuggery," Adamini tweeted.

In a separate Facebook post, Adamini wrote: "I'm thinking that another Kent State might be the only solution...They do it because they know there are no consequences yet."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...N_hnkE7aRx3hK8
Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Tommy Norment, the Republican majority leader of the Virginia state Senate, was an editor of the Virginia Military Institute yearbook which contained ethnic slurs and blackface pictures.
It's okay if a republican does it.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Quote:
It's okay if a republican does it.
Now that you mention Virginia, it occurs to me that anyone here who might be invested in having a robust Stupid Liberal Idea of the Day thread is really falling down on the job.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borborygmi View Post
Now that you mention Virginia, it occurs to me that anyone here who might be invested in having a robust Stupid Liberal Idea of the Day thread is really falling down on the job.
Only if you quote me, who wants the governor to remain out of spite for the GOP. Otherwise, despite the "the liberals are the REAL racists amirite?" crowd, wearing those outfits is not a liberal idea.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Only if you quote me, who wants the governor to remain out of spite for the GOP. Otherwise, despite the "the liberals are the REAL racists amirite?" crowd, wearing those outfits is not a liberal idea.
That's true of course, but having once been a editor on a yearbook with racist stuff in it isn't really a Republican idea, either, if we want to be strict about such things. If this scandal and the ensuing attempt at crisis management were coming from the GOP I would expect to see it covered in this thread. For anyone lamenting that the SLIotD thread usually has to resort to the likes of what an imaginary neighborhood jogger might have said, they are squandering an opportunity.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
In response to student demonstrations at Berkeley, Michigan Republican and secretary of the Marquette County Republican Party Dan Adamini says it's time for another Kent State.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...N_hnkE7aRx3hK8
Check the date. That story is two years old.

I just saw this posted by a friend on FB. I wonder why it's suddenly going around again?

ETA: He also resigned very soon after deleting his Twitter account where he made those comments.

Last edited by Morgyn; 02-07-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I'd be amazed if the Legislatures (and probably Governors and cabinets) of the southern states don't currently contain at least several dozen members who can be seen in yearbook-photos in blackface.

"Decimated" is a term that comes to mind, for what we'll be seeing in coming weeks.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:02 PM

Candace Owens, conservative talking head, says Hitler was "ok" till he started looking beyond Germany's borders.

I would think the Jews, handicapped people, Roma, and homosexuals living in Germany at the time would disagree.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/candac...to-go-global/?

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 02-08-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I'd be amazed if the Legislatures (and probably Governors and cabinets) of the southern states don't currently contain at least several dozen members who can be seen in yearbook-photos in blackface.

"Decimated" is a term that comes to mind, for what we'll be seeing in coming weeks.
So only 1 in 10 will be affected?

:flees:
Old 02-08-2019, 04:43 PM

Warnings of Trumpism 'Forever' as Senate GOP Rams Through 44 Lifetime Judges in One Day
Quote:
With the nation's eyes largely elsewhere in a sea of distraction on Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee quietly advanced 44 of President Donald Trump's federal judicial nominees in what civil rights defenders denounced as a "monster markup" that threatens to leave the president's dangerous ideological footprint on the nation's courts for generations to come.

"In just the first two years of this administration, the Senate has already confirmed 85 federal judges, including two Supreme Court justices," [Kamala] Harris said.

While pointing out that if the 44 under consideration are confirmed, "they will represent one out of 20 lifetime-appointed federal judges in the United States," she emphasized that "it's not the number of judges that are being confirmed that concerns me as much as the number of extreme judges who are being confirmed."
This is the stuff that really matters. While thump is tap-dancing in the spotlight and tripping over his own feet tongue, McConnell is packing the Federal courts with conservative, anti-civil rights judges.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 02-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Warnings of Trumpism 'Forever' as Senate GOP Rams Through 44 Lifetime Judges in One DayThis is the stuff that really matters. While thump is tap-dancing in the spotlight and tripping over his own feet tongue, McConnell is packing the Federal courts with conservative, anti-civil rights judges.
Terrifying!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
This is the stuff that really matters. While thump is tap-dancing in the spotlight and tripping over his own feet tongue, McConnell is packing the Federal courts with conservative, anti-civil rights judges.
Some of us knew this because we know how the government works and used that knowledge to try and influence sad-face Bernie bros and Hillary haters. Many of them were oh so shocked to see Kavanaugh get voted in and wondered why Democrats didn't do more to stop it.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Some of us knew this because we know how the government works and used that knowledge to try and influence sad-face Bernie bros and Hillary haters. Many of them were oh so shocked to see Kavanaugh get voted in and wondered why Democrats didn't do more to stop it.
Yes. And it made some of us long to boot those "purists" right in the chops.

Self-righteous morons that they are.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Youda thunk the lesson from election 2000 would have stuck
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Youda thunk the lesson from election 2000 would have stuck
Well, in fairness, there was plenty of time, money, and effort put in by the Kremlin, aimed at helping people forget those lessons.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 PM

This is not exactly a Republiopath idea, per se, but it is. SCOTUS refused a Muslim access to a cleric at his execution. 5-4. Some were not amused.
The dissent also took issue with the conservative justices' reasoning that Ray waited too long to bring his claim. The warden denied his request to have an imam by his side on Jan. 23, and Ray filed his complaint five days later, Kagan wrote. And Alabama state law explicitly provides that the inmate's spiritual adviser of choice "may be present at an execution," she wrote.

"Ray has put forward a powerful claim that his religious rights will be violated at the moment the State puts him to death," Kagan wrote. "Instead, this Court short-circuits that ordinary process — and itself rejects the claim with little briefing and no argument — just so the State can meet its preferred execution date."
Old 02-09-2019, 11:22 AM

the problem

Yes, we know that Bill Maher is an asshole. This is six minutes of his assholery. Nothing we were not already aware of.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Warnings of Trumpism 'Forever' as Senate GOP Rams Through 44 Lifetime Judges in One DayThis is the stuff that really matters. While thump is tap-dancing in the spotlight and tripping over his own feet tongue, McConnell is packing the Federal courts with conservative, anti-civil rights judges.
The shittiest of news in quite some time.
::shuddering to think how truly fucked we are, now, because of this.::
Old 02-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
the problem

Yes, we know that Bill Maher is an asshole. This is six minutes of his assholery. Nothing we were not already aware of.
I watched that, and I don't see how it is an example of him being an asshole. We knew those things already? Perhaps, but they're true and worth repeating. Care to elaborate?
Old 02-09-2019, 07:22 PM

Republicans have the majority in the Alaska state House of Representatives, 23-17, but they can't get more than 20 votes for any candidate for Speaker of the House. Three different candidates have failed to get a majority and therefore no work has gotten done.
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ship-stalemate
Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
I watched that, and I don't see how it is an example of him being an asshole. We knew those things already? Perhaps, but they're true and worth repeating. Care to elaborate?
I keep encountering people who think he is an asshole. He may have even owned that tag himself. So, whatever he says must be assholery – which says absolutely nothing about how valid it may be (often, blunt honesty is or would be assholish).
Old 02-09-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I keep encountering people who think he is an asshole. He may have even owned that tag himself. So, whatever he says must be assholery – which says absolutely nothing about how valid it may be (often, blunt honesty is or would be assholish).
He is an asshole even when he is valid but that's not what bugs me. It's the Islamophobia, it's the kissing the asses of douchecunts like Coulter and Milo who do not deserve the platform he gives them, it's the anti-science, it's diminishing the life of Stan Lee because he doesn't like comics, it was him rooting for a recession, it was him thinking he earned the right to drop N-bombs, and it was him essentially being a Libertarian because all Libertarians are assholes.

But thanks for telling me why I feel the way I do about Bill Maher.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 PM

They're at it again in Arizona:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ariz...183626377.html
Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Fox & Friends host boasts that he hasn't washed his hands in 10 years because he can't see germs and therefore they aren't real.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Fox & Friends host boasts that he hasn't washed his hands in 10 years because he can't see germs and therefore they aren't real.
I am fairly certain he was being facetious.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 02-11-2019, 03:10 PM

Trump crazies take him up on his call for a human wall in the SotU and attempt to form a human chain along the border.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-suppo...l-paso-1326187

I'd love to see them do that in the middle of the summer.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I am fairly certain he was being facetious.
Either way, I'm not shaking his hand any time soon.