Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Mike Mabes Mike Mabes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 23
new member going straight to the pit

I've read these boards from time to time over the years. Forgot about The Dope until recently. Don't know what reminded me of all the great discussions that happen here, I have been browising for about a month. My brother in law once said, "If you can think of it, someone else already has." That was in the contex of "inventing" things. I've "invented" a lot of things over the years, but they already had them (what movie was that from, I know some of you know). Well, on this forum, regarding all the topics being discussed, before I can even post something to make my point, someone else has already done so, better than I can.

So I will probably most be an observer. Maybe I can contribute a thought or two.

So why am I in the pit? Because fuck Trump, fuck the facist Republicans, fuck the idiots who think socialism and communism are the same thing, that socialism leads to totalitarism, hell fuck the idiots who think we don't already practice socialism in this country. Get a fucking clue from the "entitlement" program Social Security.

I just got into a Facebook debate with an idiot, a friend of my brother in law, who thoght socialism meant...well fuck the details. I swore I would never do it again. This is the second time I have made that vow. What was the Mark Twain quote about arguing with an idiot?

Well, here, there are some idiots, sure. But there are so many here who destroy their idiot arguments with logic and (not alternative) facts.

So here's to all of you people fighting ignorance.

Last edited by Mike Mabes; 02-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.
  #2  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:03 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 11,619
Welcome!

You can swear at those folks all you want in the forums. You just can't swear at a poster unless you're in here. No swearing at mods.
  #3  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:04 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 32,204
Welcome to the Dope!
  #4  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 24,893
Hey! Fuckin' welcome to the fucking Dope, Mike! Fuck!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-10-2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: why the fuck not?
  #5  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
...
So here's to all of you people fighting ignorance.
And sometimes not even that. Sometimes, just saying:"Man, fuck you Trump, you lying fucking jackass!"
Welcome.
  #6  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:16 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 8,042
I declare this the best first post of all time. It reminds me of when rookies get called up to the majors and get a home run on their first at-bat - well done.

Last edited by asahi; 02-10-2019 at 09:17 PM.
  #7  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Locrian Locrian is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valley Village, CA
Posts: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I declare this the best first post of all time. It reminds me of when rookies get called up to the majors and get a home run on their first at-bat - well done.
He kinda sounds like you! And, er... well, the rest of us at times.
  #8  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 PM
Mr Shine's Avatar
Mr Shine Mr Shine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
I've read these boards from time to time over the years. Forgot about The Dope until recently. Don't know what reminded me of all the great discussions that happen here, I have been browising for about a month. My brother in law once said, "If you can think of it, someone else already has." That was in the contex of "inventing" things. I've "invented" a lot of things over the years, but they already had them (what movie was that from, I know some of you know). Well, on this forum, regarding all the topics being discussed, before I can even post something to make my point, someone else has already done so, better than I can.

So I will probably most be an observer. Maybe I can contribute a thought or two.

So why am I in the pit? Because fuck Trump, fuck the facist Republicans, fuck the idiots who think socialism and communism are the same thing, that socialism leads to totalitarism, hell fuck the idiots who think we don't already practice socialism in this country. Get a fucking clue from the "entitlement" program Social Security.

I just got into a Facebook debate with an idiot, a friend of my brother in law, who thoght socialism meant...well fuck the details. I swore I would never do it again. This is the second time I have made that vow. What was the Mark Twain quote about arguing with an idiot?

Well, here, there are some idiots, sure. But there are so many here who destroy their idiot arguments with logic and (not alternative) facts.

So here's to all of you people fighting ignorance.
At last, someone on these boards has the guts to pit Trump. I never thought it would happen.
  #9  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:09 PM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
What was the Mark Twain quote about arguing with an idiot?
"The coldest argument I ever spent was with an idiot in San Francisco."
  #10  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:26 AM
Two Many Cats Two Many Cats is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,289
Don't worry about posting stuff somebody else already talked about. Unless it's a double post with another poster about somebody famous dying, you do fine. Just go to Cafe Society and talk about food. Those threads are guaranteed a big response.
  #11  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:34 AM
bucketybuck bucketybuck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,150
Be careful OP, if you only post in the Pit then that is considered trolling and you will be banned.
  #12  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:43 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 30,663
Fucken hey.
  #13  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:18 PM
andros andros is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Be careful OP, if you only post in the Pit then that is considered trolling and you will be banned.
That's...not entirely accurate.
.

Last edited by andros; 02-11-2019 at 03:18 PM.
  #14  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:01 PM
snowthx's Avatar
snowthx snowthx is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacratomato area
Posts: 3,346
So far, so good. Welcome mat rolled out. However...

1. Hot dogs. Mustard or ketchup?
2. Toilet paper. Over or under?

Answer carefully.
  #15  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Shodan Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 38,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes
What was the Mark Twain quote about arguing with an idiot?
Perhaps it's this one -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'
Thanks for the heads up though - certainly something to keep in mind when reading your posts.

Regards,
Shodan
  #16  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:27 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
"The coldest argument I ever spent was with an idiot in San Francisco."
  #17  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:33 PM
don't ask don't ask is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 18,092
I'm just surprised there wasn't already a Mike Mabes Pit thread.
  #18  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 12,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
At last, someone on these boards has the guts to pit Trump. I never thought it would happen.
Me either, the OP is full of originality, especially for the Pit.
  #19  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 12,891
Well, looky here.
  #20  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Mike Mabes Mike Mabes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
So far, so good. Welcome mat rolled out. However...

1. Hot dogs. Mustard or ketchup?
2. Toilet paper. Over or under?

Answer carefully.
1. Ketchup is wrong. But if you also put mustard on I wouldn't make you leave my table
2. Under makes no sense at all.
  #21  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:36 PM
icantdraw icantdraw is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
1. Ketchup is wrong. But if you also put mustard on I wouldn't make you leave my table
2. Under makes no sense at all.
WRONG!!! (asshole*)

Under means that the cat can't unroll the roll on to the floor.

And I don't even have a cat and I do it for that reason.


* You probably aren't, but this is the pit after all....
  #22  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:55 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,239
I, too, never understood why anyone would roll their toilet paper from the under. But then some Doper let me know about the cat thing. The things I've learned here, but never applied in my life measure in some number. Or quantity, or whatever.
  #23  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:08 PM
Mike Mabes Mike Mabes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 23
I've always had cats and they've never done it so I didn't know. They have occasionally gotten into the paper towels
  #24  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:09 PM
SpoilerVirgin SpoilerVirgin is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: An antique land
Posts: 6,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
"The coldest argument I ever spent was with an idiot in San Francisco."
Now I wish I didn't hate signatures, because that would be mine.
  #25  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:28 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 12,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I, too, never understood why anyone would roll their toilet paper from the under. But then some Doper let me know about the cat thing. The things I've learned here, but never applied in my life measure in some number. Or quantity, or whatever.
I never could make a decision on the toilet paper thingy, so I have a stand that holds 3 rolls stacked up. Simplify, folks, simplify.
The real question for the OP is, "Can you make it* better and cheaper at home?"

*anything.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-12-2019 at 06:29 PM.
  #26  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Baal Houtham Baal Houtham is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Leaky Heart of America
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
2. Under makes no sense at all.
Pay attention, because this is ultimate truth and will fly quickly from the mind. In a Perfect World, Under is superior. It is simply more streamlined and attractive. Beauty is Truth. An Over roll crowned with a flappy piece of flimsy, irregularly torn paper is ugly.

But we do not exist in a perfect world. In almost every case, some design flaw will make Under impractical. The mounting will be too low to see or reach. The mounting will be too tight and prevent easy spinning of a new roll. The mounting will be too close to a wall and condensed moisture will leach onto the roll.

But when the stars align, do not allow a lifetime of coping with a corrupt, jerry-rigged world cause you to reject the Kingdom of God.
  #27  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 PM
xenophon41's Avatar
xenophon41 xenophon41 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Somewhere up country.
Posts: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I never could make a decision on the toilet paper thingy, so I have a stand that holds 3 rolls stacked up.
Ah, clever!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Um... left, or right?




by the way, "under" doesn't actually stop a cat
  #28  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 12,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Ah, clever!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Um... left, or right?


by the way, "under" doesn't actually stop a cat
However it lands in the stack. I like a little excitement in my life.
Nothing will stop a cat on a mission to tear paper.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-12-2019 at 09:50 PM.
  #29  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:24 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
However it lands in the stack. I like a little excitement in my life.
Nothing will stop a cat on a mission to tear paper.

You guys don't know the best way to prevent a cat from tearing up the toilet paper. The answer is really quite simple: Don't use toilet paper.

Or, as I do, don't have a cat. Apartment living overseas limits choice of pets.
  #30  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:12 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 21,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I never could make a decision on the toilet paper thingy, so I have a stand that holds 3 rolls stacked up. Simplify, folks, simplify.
The real question for the OP is, "Can you make it* better and cheaper at home?"

*anything.
All you've done is change the debate from top/bottom to left/right.

Eta: Dammit, Xenophon41. I mean... really? You just had to pre-steal my joke, dintcha?

Last edited by JohnT; 02-13-2019 at 08:14 AM.
  #31  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 AM
74westy's Avatar
74westy 74westy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
You guys don't know the best way to prevent a cat from tearing up the toilet paper. The answer is really quite simple: Don't use toilet paper.

Or, as I do, don't have a cat. Apartment living overseas limits choice of pets.
The best way to prevent a cat from tearing up toilet paper is to have it declawed.
  #32  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Jumpbass's Avatar
Jumpbass Jumpbass is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Napa Valley (lucky me)
Posts: 397
Use the cat as toilet paper. That'll show it.
  #33  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:28 PM
EddyTeddyFreddy's Avatar
EddyTeddyFreddy EddyTeddyFreddy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Exurbia, No'thuh Bawst'n
Posts: 13,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
I've always had cats and they've never done it so I didn't know. They have occasionally gotten into the paper towels
Cats? Aha! Time for that other tried and true argument starter:

Declaw or not?

*dons fire-retardant suit; flees*



Damn; ninja'd by 74Westy!
__________________
Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle. ~ iampunha
Well, maybe you shouldn't use the political equivalent of the Weekly World News as a factual source. Just sayin'. ~ RTFirefly
Brought to you as a public service by EddyTeddyFreddy Industries, Inc., purveyors of wit, wisdom, badinage, and run-on sentences since 1949.

Last edited by EddyTeddyFreddy; 02-13-2019 at 12:30 PM.
  #34  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
The best way to prevent a cat from tearing up toilet paper is to have it declawed.

Yeah, but isn't that cruel to the cat? Do veterinarians still do declawing?
  #35  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:20 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 12,891
We could all just close the bathroom door.
  #36  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:29 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 46,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I, too, never understood why anyone would roll their toilet paper from the under. But then some Doper let me know about the cat thing. The things I've learned here, but never applied in my life measure in some number. Or quantity, or whatever.
For the life of me, I never really understood that people even paid attention to this until the Dope and social media. If you asked me, I wouldn't have a clue which way I put the toilet paper roll on the spool. Basically, I just throw it on the spool, try to find where the little perforation/separation is, and whichever way it happens to hang, that's the way it hangs. Just for fun, I checked, and two of the bathrooms have it under; one has it over. But I had to check, as I hadn't the faintest clue. Over two decades of adulthood and it's never occurred to me that this is important or in any way affects utility.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-13-2019 at 03:31 PM.
  #37  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:39 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,239
The litmus test for the over/under issue to determine how seriously someone takes it is the question: Have you ever inverted the roll in someone else's house because you felt that they were doing it wrong.
  #38  
Old 02-13-2019, 04:02 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 12,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The litmus test for the over/under issue to determine how seriously someone takes it is the question: Have you ever inverted the roll in someone else's house because you felt that they were doing it wrong.
OMG, my sister used to do that! Seriously anal. I'm not crazy, (well yeah I am) but not about toilet paper hanging.
So what are thoughts on the paper towel roll, OP?
  #39  
Old 02-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Mike Mabes Mike Mabes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
OMG, my sister used to do that! Seriously anal. I'm not crazy, (well yeah I am) but not about toilet paper hanging.
So what are thoughts on the paper towel roll, OP?
Fuck Trump.
  #40  
Old 02-14-2019, 05:59 PM
Mike Mabes Mike Mabes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
Fuck Trump.
Sorry. Bad joke. Can't seem to edit my posts.
  #41  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpbass View Post
Use the cat as toilet paper. That'll show it.
That comes with a free perforated labia or scrotum!
__________________
Tentatively and lightly dipping my toes back in the water.
  #42  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:57 PM
begbert2 begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
The best way to prevent a cat from tearing up toilet paper is to have it declawed.
The best way to prevent a cat from tearing up toilet paper is to have yourself decatted. It works great.
  #43  
Old 02-14-2019, 07:00 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy Chefguy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
1. Ketchup is wrong. But if you also put mustard on I wouldn't make you leave my table
2. Under makes no sense at all.
And chili? Chili has beans and tomatoes, r-i-i-g-g-h-h-t?
  #44  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:54 PM
Mike Mabes Mike Mabes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
And chili? Chili has beans and tomatoes, r-i-i-g-g-h-h-t?
I happen to be making chilli right now, and it has both.

If you don't agree, fuck y...I mean Trump
  #45  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 12,891
Maybe, OP you should lay off the news for a few days. You seem to be bothered by Trump. We all ( or mostly all ), are bothered by him. I've made an attempt to ignore all the crap wafting around and only look in the news for headlines and weather. Man, do I feel better. I don't think I can do anything to change the current situation til time to vote. Which I always do. Anywhoo, IMHO.
  #46  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:00 PM
Mike Mabes Mike Mabes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Maybe, OP you should lay off the news for a few days. You seem to be bothered by Trump. We all ( or mostly all ), are bothered by him. I've made an attempt to ignore all the crap wafting around and only look in the news for headlines and weather. Man, do I feel better. I don't think I can do anything to change the current situation til time to vote. Which I always do. Anywhoo, IMHO.
I'm just playing around. I didn't even look at the news today, other than a quick check of the headlines. Nothing I didn't expect.

But maybe I have found a way to channel anger, when I do get angry (I'm usually very easy going). No matter who I am arguing with, about anything, I can just say "fuck Trump."
  #47  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:01 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy Chefguy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post

I happen to be making chilli right now, and it has both.

If you don't agree, fuck y...I mean Trump
My new BFF.
  #48  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:23 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 12,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
I'm just playing around. I didn't even look at the news today, other than a quick check of the headlines. Nothing I didn't expect.

But maybe I have found a way to channel anger, when I do get angry (I'm usually very easy going). No matter who I am arguing with, about anything, I can just say "fuck Trump."
That works for me.
  #49  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:26 AM
Drunky Smurf's Avatar
Drunky Smurf Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 11,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
That comes with a free perforated labia or scrotum!
Hey, Welcome Back!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017