Old 05-26-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Please. I try very hard not to imagine three impossible things before breakfast (or any other time of the day!).
Jeez, I'm only asking for one! And please, put in a disclaimer to make clear that you are not creating an attorney-client relationship, which BTW, I don't want either.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 PM

This thread is fun. This may not be the Daily Stupid, but it is still a new flavor of stupid to sprinkle on our sundae... And there's just no excuse for this thread being dead all day! Surely there were five stupider Republican ideas today than this:

Today, Tom Sullivan told me that the Chrysler dealers being closed (suggested to be closed?) were picked based on the political donations of the dealership owners. Dealership owners with R donations were on Obama's Enemies List (no shit), and had to go.

Hypothetical pop quiz: You own a business. Your business thrives on polluting. Which party do you donate to?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM

I don't know, but I've alerted the appropriate people and this Tom Sullivan fellow is now on the list too.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Gallery View Post
Today, Tom Sullivan told me that the Chrysler dealers being closed (suggested to be closed?) were picked based on the political donations of the dealership owners. Dealership owners with R donations were on Obama's Enemies List (no shit), and had to go.

Hypothetical pop quiz: You own a business. Your business thrives on polluting. Which party do you donate to?
Funny you should bring that up -- a simple analysis was posted on fivethirtyeight today. Of the available data on the contributions that car dealers made to Democratic or Republican candidates, 88% of the money went to Republican candidates.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punoqllads View Post
Funny you should bring that up -- a simple analysis was posted on fivethirtyeight today. Of the available data on the contributions that car dealers made to Democratic or Republican candidates, 88% of the money went to Republican candidates.
Wow, they're closing 88% of the dealerships?

-Joe
Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Bumping for this.

Other than just pitching a complete fit anytime Obama does anything, what do they hope to gain from this?

Besides, You would think they would be encouraging the President to see more plays.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanceylebeef View Post
Bumping for this.

Other than just pitching a complete fit anytime Obama does anything, what do they hope to gain from this?

Besides, You would think they would be encouraging the President to see more plays.
Ha!

The hissyfit over that is really stupid considering that The Previous Occupant spent more time on vacation, either in Crawford or Camp David, than any president...ever. And I don't think he was flying coach with Southwest Airlines to get to Texas.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:06 PM

Trying to keep up here...

The RNC has attacked the Obamas for going on a date in New York:
Quote:
“As President Obama prepares to wing into Manhattan’s theater district on Air Force One to take in a Broadway show, GM is preparing to file bankruptcy and families across America continue to struggle to pay their bills,” RNC spokeswoman Gail Gitcho said in an email this afternoon.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:19 PM

Practically a simulpost over the very same story.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Get out of my head!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bumping for this.
Yeah, I was going to post that yesterday, but I didn't get it finished because it interfered with the post I was working on regarding the tepid Republican reactions to Tiller's murder, which I didn't get finished because it interfered with the insane attacks on Sotomayor, which I didn't get finished because it interfered with the post about, jeeze, I don't even remember what it was before that...goddamn, there's just too much fucking stupid to keep up with! My desktop is littered with unfinished Dope posts! How anyone can proudly proclaim to be a Republican without constantly cringing in embarrassment is a total mystery to me. Well, unless their name is Carol Stream or clothahump.

Quote:
They WANT to be known as the fucking crybaby moronic Party of No...waaaaaaah!

Last edited by Equipoise; 06-02-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They want him to start doing cheap Bill Clinton dates, no doubt.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
God knows what they'll say if they find any of Barack's jizz on Michelle's dress!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Gallery View Post
This thread is fun. This may not be the Daily Stupid, but it is still a new flavor of stupid to sprinkle on our sundae... And there's just no excuse for this thread being dead all day! Surely there were five stupider Republican ideas today than this:

I'm familiar with one Tom Sullivan. I'm dubious about the possibility of this being the same guy, although it's not entirely out of the question.

So, who's Tom Sullivan?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
God knows what they'll say if they find any of Barack's jizz on Michelle's dress!
They'll say she's a slatternly homemaker who can't even do the laundry properly.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
They'll say she's a slatternly homemaker who can't even do the laundry properly.
I was thinking it would be something about Barack's misdirected energy, and going down the wrong path.

Last edited by Boyo Jim; 06-03-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 PM

Basketball players. Dribble much more than they shoot.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Basketball players. Dribble much more than they shoot.
Umm...something about aim? Or maybe how he is such a slovenly liberal that he wastes all sorts of precious bodily fluids?

Ooh! I know! He's a potential baby killer!

I win!

-Joe
Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 AM

Republicans Give Up On Capitalism, Admit Private Sector Can't Compete With Efficiency of Government Run Program:
Quote:
Opponents say private insurers could not compete with a public plan that didn't have to make a profit. They argue that private health plans would end up going out of business, leaving only an entirely government-run health care system.

There appears to be little room for compromise, with Republicans contending that no matter how a public plan is designed, it would inevitably balloon and crush the private market.

"It's kind of a litmus test sort of thing," Grassley said. "It's just very, very difficult, but I suppose that somewhere out there there's something that's politically realistic that's not a public option that satisfies Republicans and Democrats. But it isn't a government-run system," Grassley said.
GOP: Private Profits Trump Public Health
Old 06-05-2009, 09:17 AM

That's not quite what they said.

However, their argument is utterly inane. Private insurers will still exist to provide that extra .01% of care that UHC won't provide, just as they do elsewhere.

Will we still have 50 private insurers? Probably not.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Given that private health insurers seem to be doing okay in the UK where universal health care is free, somehow I doubt they'll all be instantly ruined in the US.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:05 PM

And yet another racist e-mail from a GOP elected official's office makes the rounds (with your standard "Oops! Sent it to the wrong people!" excuse)
Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 PM

I love that that's the standard "apology".

"Well, yeah, I sent it, but I didn't mean to send it to any black people, so it's okay!"
Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I love that that's the standard "apology".

"Well, yeah, I sent it, but I didn't mean to send it to any black people, so it's okay!"
Well, give her credit for being sensitive to having sent it to non-racist people other than blacks. That's gotta count for something.

Right?

Last edited by descamisado; 06-16-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiveGuy View Post
And yet another racist e-mail from a GOP elected official's office makes the rounds (with your standard "Oops! Sent it to the wrong people!" excuse)
White eyes on a black background, is that an established racist meme?

(I'm not saying it isn't, this is just the first I've heard of it in that context.)
Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

It seems like a reference to stereotyped portrayals of black people in movies and stuff.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Black people are invisible in the dark. Because they're the same color, see?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
White eyes on a black background, is that an established racist meme?

(I'm not saying it isn't, this is just the first I've heard of it in that context.)
What Captain Carrot said; also, it's meant to conjure the idea of ghosts, and the word "spook" is used as a derogatory term for blacks by the sort of racists who'd think that email was just the funniest damn thing they ever saw since Myrtle sat on the pecan pie.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Carrot View Post
Black people are invisible in the dark. Because they're the same color, see?
Yeah, I'd more or less got that far. So the picture is saying, in essence, "the funny thing about black people is, their skin is darker! Get it? Get it?"

Which doesn't strike me as inherently racist, just utterly stupid. I don't see the insult there. I don't see anything there.

If someone posted a picture of eyes on a white background, meant to be Clinton, Bush, or even me in a snowstorm, my response would be "yeah, and...?"
Old 06-16-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'd more or less got that far. So the picture is saying, in essence, "the funny thing about black people is, their skin is darker! Get it? Get it?"

Which doesn't strike me as inherently racist, just utterly stupid. I don't see the insult there. I don't see anything there.

If someone posted a picture of eyes on a white background, meant to be Clinton, Bush, or even me in a snowstorm, my response would be "yeah, and...?"
You aren't getting the history behind the image. It's not like this woman just made this up out of thin air. There is a history of that image of African-Americans that makes it offensive beyond its surface visual.

It's the same reason that someone calling you or me "Whitey" or "Honkey" doesn't even come close to conveying the same emotional response to us as someone calling a black person "Nigger" does to that black person. There's a history behind it, and it's a history that we do not share, because we've never gone through it.

Last edited by jayjay; 06-16-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 AM

I'm so glad this thread is back! It's been so much fun, and I haven't been keeping enough up to date with stupid Republican ideas to refresh the thread myself.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It's also placed in a line-up of utterly normal pictures of all the other (white) Presidents. Were the 'depiction' of Obama in isolation, I might agree with you, but it's clearly meant to imply "He's different and so doesn't get a normal picture like the others; we're going to reduce him to a caricature."

I mean, hell, it's arguable that this picture is somewhat racist, too, but the depiction of Obama is no different from the depictions of the other Presidents. It doesn't attempt to remove the humanity from Obama, just points out the fact that he's the first black President.

It's the difference between saying "He's our first black President" and "He's our first spook President."
Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
And the punchline that you're supposed to "get" is that our president is a nigger spook.

You'd think that a joke that's been making the rounds for 400+ years would be a bit stale by now. Apparently there's a lot of neaderthals who still think it's as funny as that time that Og Jr. threw the bear femur in the air and it came down on his head.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

The specific image of a black man being invisible in the dark except for his eyes (wide open from fear) has a specific history. Think about the old joke with the punchline "Ain't nobody here but us chickens, Massah." The fugitive black man trying to hide from a white man who's too stupid to realize that his glow-in-the-dark eyes (or, in the case of the joke, the idea of a chicken responding in English) would give him away.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

Well sure they were cheap. They stayed in, and the only cost was a cigar.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
And the punchline that you're supposed to "get" is that our president is a nigger spook.

You'd think that a joke that's been making the rounds for 400+ years would be a bit stale by now. Apparently there's a lot of neaderthals who still think it's as funny as that time that Og Jr. threw the bear femur in the air and it came down on his head.
To be fair, the femur thing was pretty funny.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWalrus2 View Post
To be fair, the femur thing was pretty funny.
"Tragedy is when I lose my best flint knapper. Comedy is when you are trampled by a mastodon and die."
Old 06-17-2009, 06:50 PM

Ha. Ha! Oh, man.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/35940-1...inter_friendly

Quote:
House Republicans presented a four-page outline of their health care reform plan Wednesday but said they didn’t know yet how much it would cost, how they would pay for it and how many of the nearly 50 million Americans without insurance would be covered by it.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolichnaya View Post
They're getting good at this "Put out a basically blank plan to try to steal some thunder from Obama".
Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 PM

Yeah, but it's not p...p...p.....PUBLIC! AHHHHHHHHH!!

(runs screaming)
Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM

Didn't... wait... didn't they do the same thing with the budget?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 PM

"Iranian activity similar to what we did in House last year when Republicans were shut out in the House" Oh, Pete Hoekstra. You're a fucking moron.

Last edited by Captain Carrot; 06-17-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: what? not a quote, so I shouldn't use a closing quote tag?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:41 PM

It takes a real fucking winner to be redundant in a 140-character format.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

I know what he means though. My cat scratched me last night and boy, now I know how Jesus felt being nailed to the cross.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I know what he means though. My cat scratched me last night and boy, now I know how Jesus felt being nailed to the cross.
Truly. I got called into work last night which is similar to what third-world sweatshop workers are going through.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 AM

It's probably worth noting that Carrot accidentally left out a word. I doubt it was deliberate, since you can't C&P the twitter part from the front page of Hoekstra's blog.

"Iranian twitter activity similar to what we did in House last year when Republicans were shut out in the House"

Puts a bit of a different spin on the statement. Juuuust a tad.

(Also, "Pete Hoekstra is a meme"? You're doing it wrong!)
Old 06-21-2009, 12:54 PM

Enough of this Republican bashing. GOP Chairman Michael Steele has single-handedly solved the health-care crisis:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...th-Care-Crisis

Quote:
If it’s an access question, people don’t have access to health care, then figure out who they are, and give them access!
Now why didn't Obama think of that? Huh?

PS Clearly, this is good news for the McCain campaign.

Last edited by Frostillicus; 06-21-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:02 PM

I think what Mr. Steele means is a means for people without health insurance to observe health care being provided. Incentivizing.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostillicus View Post
Enough of this Republican bashing. GOP Chairman Michael Steele has single-handedly solved the health-care crisis:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...th-Care-Crisis

Now why didn't Obama think of that? Huh?

PS Clearly, this is good news for the McCain campaign.
I really wish the federal government would stay the fuck away from everything and anything to do with health care.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:21 PM

To me, its mostly about priorities. First take away all the guns, then force Eagle Scouts into gay marriages, and then universal health care.