Old 02-10-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Get out there and make some crime happen
Operation Lucky Bag began in 2006, supposedly as a way for police to put away people with existing rap sheets. Undercover officers would plant a bag, usually with money or other valuables inside, in a public place. They'd wait for someone to "steal" the planted property then make an arrest.

In 2013, several people adversely affected by Operation Lucky Bag filed a class-action lawsuit against the NYPD.

"I just don't understand why this is still going on in this city—I really don't," Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Melissa Crane said during (an) arraignment hearing. … of the first 220 people arrested after the program's implementation in February 2006, more than half did not have a prior criminal record.
So they set up the stings to sweep up habitual criminals, but it turns into a typical catch-everyone operation.
And what they were being arrested for wasn't even a crime. While the law does require you to turn in found property like this, it doesn't require you to turn it in to the first cop you see on the street. Some of the people arrested argued—pretty damn plausibly—that they were going to take the bag to a police station or try to contact the owner themselves. I found a couple of credit cards a a drivers license, along with about $40 in cash, on thee National Mall in Washington DC some years ago. I stuck it in an envelope and mailed it to the address on the driver's license. Got a very nice note in reply.

In the close competition for America's Worst State, Arizona stakes its claim once again with this case of police brutality.
Quote:
The stop was for an alleged turn signal violation.

Minutes later, Wheatcroft [who was not even the driver] was handcuffed lying face down on the hot asphalt on a 108-degree day. He'd already been tased 10 times, with one officer kneeling on his back as another, Officer Matt Schneider, kicked him in the groin and pulled down his athletic shorts to tase him a final time in his testicles, according to a federal lawsuit and body camera footage obtained by Scripps sister station KNXV-TV.

The scene was witnessed by his 11- and 6-year-old sons.

“I have never seen anything like this before... This is just beyond the pale. It’s outrageous conduct.”
Multiple independent law enforcement experts, who agreed to review the incident, said the officers’ conduct was unlawful, potentially criminal, and one of the most cruel and troubling cases of police misconduct they’ve ever seen.
The officer most involved "was suspended for 30 hours and remains an active officer on the force." But of course, there's no institutional component to police misconduct; it's just a few bad apples.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I came to post this. The incident was in July 2017 and it's coming up now because the victim is suing. Only question is, what took him so long.

The afternoon drive talk show guys put on their retired go-to cop who said, "Man, if you've tasered someone even two times and it hasn't resolved the situation, you need to switch to a different tactic, and that last one is just..." and couldn't finish the sentence.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
California police officers fatally shot a 20-year-old rapper who was sleeping in his car outside a Taco Bell, authorities said.

Six Vallejo officers fired “multiple rounds” at the man, identified by family as Willie McCoy, police said. McCoy had a handgun on him when the officers fired out of “fear for their own safety” on Saturday night, according to the department...

Police said officers were checking up on McCoy after a Taco Bell employee called 911 and said a man was “slumped over” behind the wheel of his car at the fast-food restaurant drive through on Saturday at around 10.30pm. McCoy was unresponsive and had a handgun on his lap, police said, adding that the doors were locked and the car was on. After they called for backup, McCoy “suddenly” moved, officials said in a statement.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...g-willie-mccoy
Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM

‘Friendly Fire’ Killing of Detective: 42 Shots, 7 Officers, 11 Seconds

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...nds/ar-BBTy7wr

Quote:
When the barrage of gunfire ended, two men lay bleeding on the sidewalk outside the store.

Neither was the robber.

They were brother officers, struck in a crossfire of police bullets. One of them, a veteran detective, Brian Simonsen, died from his wounds. A sergeant was hit nearby — “I’m shot,” he said into his radio. “Perp’s still in location.”
42 shots in 11 seconds and one cop is wounded and another is dead.

Seems like cops are not getting good firearms training. 'Fire blindly in panic' seems to be the style.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 02-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

From New Haven: Cops ignore victim, shut off bodycam, throw away the evidence and let the accused serial rapist with an outstanding warrant go free.
On the plus side, the primary police perpetrator was severely punished...with a 30 hour suspension before he was returned to full duty.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 02-14-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
From New Haven: Cops ignore victim, shut off bodycam, throw away the evidence and let the accused serial rapist with an outstanding warrant go free.
On the plus side, the primary police perpetrator was severely punished...with a 30 hour suspension before he was returned to full duty.
What a horrific story. I recommend that people read the whole article, even though it's quite long.

Not sure where you got the 30-hour suspension, though. If you scroll to the end, you'll see that the junior officer, Nesto, who did not know what the woman had reported, and who did not turn off her bodycam, received a 10-day suspension.

Officer Landucci received a 90-day suspension, in an agreement between him, the police chief, and the police union.

The third officer, Cedeno, was not punished because, while the investigation was proceeding, he was injured in an on-duty car accident and left the force. The department is obligated to report the fact that he was under investigation to any other law enforcement organization that he might apply to in the future.

These cops should be subject to criminal prosecution, in my opinion, and should also be sued down to their underwear. Prosecutors don't seem interested in the former possibility, and qualified immunity will probably protect them from the latter.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:37 PM

The ACLU is suing Border Patrol for detaining two native-born US citizens because they were speaking Spanish in public.
https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants...izens-speaking
Old 02-15-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
What a horrific story. I recommend that people read the whole article, even though it's quite long.

Not sure where you got the 30-hour suspension, though. If you scroll to the end, you'll see that the junior officer, Nesto, who did not know what the woman had reported, and who did not turn off her bodycam, received a 10-day suspension.

Officer Landucci received a 90-day suspension, in an agreement between him, the police chief, and the police union.

The third officer, Cedeno, was not punished because, while the investigation was proceeding, he was injured in an on-duty car accident and left the force. The department is obligated to report the fact that he was under investigation to any other law enforcement organization that he might apply to in the future.

These cops should be subject to criminal prosecution, in my opinion, and should also be sued down to their underwear. Prosecutors don't seem interested in the former possibility, and qualified immunity will probably protect them from the latter.
I cannot wrap my head around this. Ignored a victim, threw away a weapon, did not run the name for warrants, turned off body cams.....any one of those should be grounds for dismissal for general incompetence and stupidity. This is the kind of thing that should cripple a department. These officers should fired, the officers that trained and supervised them should fired.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post

Officer Landucci received a 90-day suspension, in an agreement between him, the police chief, and the police union
The article as it now reads seems to be about three times the size as the one I originally read-perhaps some corrections were made.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM

Portland, this time:

Portland police accused of 'collusion with right-wing extremists' after texts surface

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...ace/ar-BBTCTiG

Quote:
In one series of messages, Niiya appears to tell Gibson that he will not seek an arrest of Gibson's assistant, Tusitala "Tiny" Toese, despite there being an active warrant for Toese.

"Just make sure he doesn't do anything which may draw our attention," Niiya told Gibson in 2017, according to the Willamette Week. "If he still has the warrant in the system (I don't run you guys so I don't personally know) the officers could arrest him. I don't see a need to arrest on the warrant unless there is a reason."
Seriously.

The warrant IS THE REASON to arrest, you asshole!!!! That's what a warrant means!

Old 02-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Portland, this time:

Portland police accused of 'collusion with right-wing extremists' after texts surface

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...ace/ar-BBTCTiG

Seriously.

The warrant IS THE REASON to arrest, you asshole!!!! That's what a warrant means!
Apparently it is SOP to favor assholes,
Mykel Mosley walked out of the Vancouver Mall and saw something that made him angry: a pickup flying what he says was a Donald Trump flag. The African-American teenager yelled out an obscenity about Trump.

Two men got out of the truck, and chased Mosley, one of them spinning him briefly to the ground. A video, posted online, shows some of the May 11 confrontation and its aftermath — including Mosley’s being turned over by mall guards to police who arrested him.
It seems that yelling “Fuck Trump!” is a crime, but physically attacking the person who yells it is expected and OK. I mean, I have been in Vancouver USA a few times, but never really noticed how much of a disgusting shithole it is.

(One of the attackers mention there is Toese – but he is one of them “Proud Boys”, so his fuckwipery and violence is countenanced.)
Old 02-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I have been in Vancouver USA a few times, but never really noticed how much of a disgusting shithole it is.
Vancouver is the epicenter of the current measles epidemic.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:52 PM

Irony, they name is Ohio!

Crashed Judge Tells Cop 'I Am so Intoxicated'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ted/ar-BBTzHsT

Judge gets stupid drunk and barfs in the car. Then does the 'Do you know who I am?' thing.

Quote:
The newspaper reported Doherty claimed she was set to attend a funeral on Monday. “I can’t keep losing these kids,” she allegedly said. As part of her role, the judge presides over a drug court known as HOPE. It stands for "Help, Opportunity and Progress through Education." In the bodycam footage, she was seen crying after being taken into the back of a police cruiser.
Judge presides over drug court....not setting the best example.

Quote:
“Give me my phone so I can make a phone call,” she added. The officer calmly replied: “Your phone is in a puddle of vomit, in your car, which is on the side of the road that you crashed into.”

Old 02-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It seems that yelling “Fuck Trump!” is a crime, but physically attacking the person who yells it is expected and OK. I mean, I have been in Vancouver USA a few times, but never really noticed how much of a disgusting shithole it is.
Well, at least we haven't fully transformed into the DPRK (yet) where deprecating Dear Leader gets you shot out of hand. As I said in another thread, can shooting a par 38 and doesn't shit be far behind?
Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Well, at least we haven't fully transformed into the DPRK (yet) where deprecating Dear Leader gets you shot out of hand. As I said in another thread, can shooting a par 38 and doesn't shit be far behind?

Have you not seen the size of Tan the Conman's behind? It'd take years for something to escape that.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:06 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Irony, they name is Ohio!

That should be:
Quote:
Irony, thy name is Ohio!
Crashed Judge Tells Cop 'I Am so Intoxicated'

Quote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ted/ar-BBTzHsT

Judge gets stupid drunk and barfs in the car. Then does the 'Do you know who I am?' thing.

Judge presides over drug court....not setting the best example.

Personally, I'd love to see a cop respond to that query with:

Quote:
Really? You're so drunk you don't know?