Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

So I just got the first dose of the new Shingrix shingles vax, with the second to follow in a few months. I did go through some nasty muscle and joint pain which is a common reaction to the shot. Advil took care of it when Tylenol wouldn't.

I made the mistake of texting my SIL (mother of the niece I've mentioned several times) about the pain, and she responded, "Don't get the vaccine!"

I replied that I already had (duh) and that a friend is suffering right now from shingles and another friend's brother almost lost his eyesight to shingles.

Oh, and I should mention that the SIL is a registered nurse.

*sigh*
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I just got the first dose of Shingrix last Thursday. 2 days of bruise like pain around the injection site was all I noticed. Much better than Shingles.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:13 PM

My mother, then 88 years old, had a month's worth of shingles. You don't want to get it, folks.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Oh, SHIT!

Guess what study they're getting confused?

Mayo Clinic trial: Massive blast of measles vaccine wipes out cancer
Now that's funny!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:43 PM

They have a massive measles problem in Europe, a record high of over 41,000 cases in the first six months of this year:
http://www.euro.who.int/en/media-cen...uropean-region

And considering the amount of travel between the U.S. and Europe it will spread to the U.S. if Americans don't get vaccinated.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:55 AM

Got my flu shot at Walgreens. No real side effects except brief soreness at the injection site. I'm glad to have it early this year.

It's time to talk to my sister about gardasil for my niece. I'm prepared to throw down but I probably won't have to. Great news about it in Australia recently, where mandatory gardasil shots are working toward making cervical cancer & HPV extinct.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-X/fulltext

We're so lucky to have vaccines.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to get part 2 of the shingles vaccine this week. Glad to have it.
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Got my flu shot at Walgreens. No real side effects except brief soreness at the injection site. I'm glad to have it early this year.

I miss working in South Korea at the public schools. Every year, all the students and staff got a free flu shot and free tuberculosis test.

Quote:
It's time to talk to my sister about gardasil for my niece. I'm prepared to throw down but I probably won't have to. Great news about it in Australia recently, where mandatory gardasil shots are working toward making cervical cancer & HPV extinct.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-X/fulltext

Just a couple of years ago, my wife had to get Gardasil because the national health scheme in South Korea requires it or your coverage, your entire coverage, lapses until you are in compliance.

Quote:
We're so lucky to have vaccines.

Darn straight we are. Penn & Teller's Bullshit, Season 8, Episode 10, is a great explanation of why we are so lucky.

Have I mentioned before that I have exactly zero, maybe even less, respect for anti-vaxers?

Last edited by Monty; 10-23-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:27 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I got the second part of the shingles vaccine a couple of weeks ago. I didn't notice much of anything after the shot. The injection area was sore but not for as long as from the first shot.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 PM

I got my first flu shot ever this Monday. I wasn't against them or anything, but figured I didn't need to, or would forget, etc. But with more and more antivax nonsense going around and working regularly with 70+ year olds, I got off my ass and got it done. I did it for the herd.

I will say I have some fatigue right now and there's a tender and warm lump where the shot was administered, but that should go away in a few days.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweisamkeit View Post
I did it for the herd.
As a member of the herd who can't get flu shots, I thank you for doing so.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I got part 2 of Shingrix yesterday at CVS. Been sore and achy from neck to toes ever since, barely slept, moaning and groaning.

But I tell myself: "It's better than shingles! SOOOO much better."

It is. Because this will pass, whereas shingles can cause post-herpetic pain that goes on for months or years.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:05 PM

Anyone know Rockland County, New York--part of the New York City Metropolitan Area?
Quote:
The county has the largest Jewish population per capita of any U.S. county, with 31.4%, or 90,000 residents, being Jewish. Rockland also ranks 9th on the list of highest-income counties by median household income in the United States with $75,306 according to the 2000 census.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockland_County,_New_York

Not exactly poverty stricken.

Well:
Quote:
Health officials in Rockland County say the number of people infected with measles has more than doubled in the last few days. There are now 33 confirmed cases and doctors say they’re monitoring five other patients who may also have the virus. There were 15 confirmed cases in Rockland County as of last Tuesday, indicating the disease is spreading.

The initial outbreak was centered in Hasidic communities, including one in New Square, N.Y. Banners and fliers throughout the community are urging people to receive the vaccination...

Investigators believe travelers brought the disease from Ukraine, where there’s currently a massive outbreak. From there, they brought it to Israel and eventually New York.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/10...-and-climbing/

Last edited by PastTense; 10-29-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:42 PM

The Forward was reporting on similar issues last spring:
Quote:
Anti-vaccine sentiment has a relatively robust history in some Orthodox corners. In 2013, the worst measles outbreak in the United States in 17 years was determined to have spread through a few ultra-Orthodox families. Every one of the 58 people diagnosed with measles during the outbreak was a member of Brooklyn’s ultra-Orthodox Jewish community.

Some ultra-Orthodox believe that there is a connection between vaccines and autism, despite the fact that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say there is none. [...]

While the vast majority of the ultra-Orthodox world accepts the importance of vaccines, “anti-vaxxers” have always managed to find backing from some rabbinic authority features. In 2014, Rabbi Shmuel Kamenetsky, a major Orthodox rabbi who lives in Philadelphia, called vaccines a “hoax.”

It’s just big business,” Kamenetzky told the Baltimore Jewish Times. Kamenetsky also suggested that if the diseases that vaccines prevented were a problem, kids would already be sick because school janitors “are mostly Mexican and are unvaccinated.” [...]

Ironically, ultra-Orthodox Jews may be more vulnerable to infectious diseases than other communities are. A study published in 2012 in the New England Journal of Medicine found that Orthodox Jews made up 97% of victims of mumps outbreaks in New York City and a few surrounding counties in 2009–2010. Nearly three-fourths of the teenage victims were men.

The researchers concluded that yeshivas were the main site of infection for the teenage boys, and pointed to the characteristic chevrutah, or “friendship,” learning style enshrined in yeshivas of all Jewish denominations. In chevrutah learning, two students sit across from each other, poring over books, loudly dissecting and arguing over the text. Over the course of a day-long session, which can last up to 15 hours, students may change partners multiple times. Researchers also noted that when a mumps outbreak occurred in Jerusalem in 2009, yeshiva boys were disproportionately affected.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
It’s just big business,” Kamenetzky told the Baltimore Jewish Times. Kamenetsky also suggested that if the diseases that vaccines prevented were a problem, kids would already be sick because school janitors “are mostly Mexican and are unvaccinated.” [...]
The tragic irony of a racist Jew. There are no words.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
There are words. From Avenue Q.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
There are words.
Yeah, racism among (white) Jews is not noticeably rarer than among (white) Christians. See also: Yiddish racial slurs such as schvartzer.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Wow! My ignorance has been fought. When I was a kid, childhood diseases like measles were commonplace and as far as I can tell, having them was the norm and it's not having had several of them that was the anomaly. And nobody was paying much attention to them. I had assumed it was still the case.

But from what I read about these outbreaks, it seems that catching measles is now considered unusual and a significant health concern. I had no idea.

And looking up, I see that those vaccines were introduced in 1971, when I was 6. And that the massive number of cases went down almost immediately to almost none.

Which makes me thing that about 8 years ago, I caught one of these childhood disease. In my mind it was unusual for an adult, but I didn't have the slightest clue that such an infection had in fact become a rarity in the general population, children included. Well...I was just functioning with assumptions that had been outdated for 45+ years....
Old 10-30-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
Even worse, he's wrong. Mexico blows the US away in measles vaccination rates. If anything, we're the dirty, disease ridden filth giving immigrants diseases.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
When I was a kid, childhood diseases like measles were commonplace and as far as I can tell, having them was the norm and it's not having had several of them that was the anomaly.
Same here. But just because the incidence of serious complications from measles, say, was quite low didn't mean it didn't cause a lot of needless suffering and danger:
Quote:
In the decade before 1963 when a vaccine became available, nearly all children got measles by the time they were 15 years of age. It is estimated 3 to 4 million people in the United States were infected each year. Also each year, among reported cases, an estimated 400 to 500 people died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and 1,000 suffered encephalitis (swelling of the brain) from measles.
So pre-vaccine, you had about a one-in-ten-thousand chance of dying from measles and a one-in-a-hundred chance of being hospitalized from it. Rare enough to be accepted as a comparatively minor risk, but common enough to do a lot of damage in the aggregate.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
There is an antivax flying monkey named Cia Parker who is well known for descending on comments sections of vaccine-related articles, books and so on. Yesterday she posted this gem on Skeptical Raptor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cia Parker
My uncle fell asleep in the sun and woke up with schizophrenia. Heat pulls stored vaccine mercury from the bones and looses it to cause symptoms.
That one's hard to top.
KooKooKaaKaa for sure but you have to give her credit for using the verb "looses" correctly. Also for not using it to spell "loses".

ETA: Looks like I fell for zombie trickery. I responded to something from a few years ago.

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 10-30-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Darn straight we are. Penn & Teller's Bullshit, Season 8, Episode 10, is a great explanation of why we are so lucky.

Have I mentioned before that I have exactly zero, maybe even less, respect for anti-vaxers?
If you want to get an idea for the episode, here is a short clip of the intro that is commonly spread online. It very viscerally drives the point home.

Last edited by BigT; 10-30-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
A chickenpox outbreak at a private school now ranks as the state's largest since a vaccine for the virus became available more than 20 years ago, health officials say.

As of Friday, 36 students at Asheville Waldorf School had contracted the varicella virus, known to most as chickenpox. The school has one of the highest vaccination religious exemption rates in North Carolina.
https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...es/2024694002/
Old 11-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Low vaccine uptake is a problem affecting many Waldorf schools.

"Waldorf schools have their foundations in anthroposophy, which the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America defines as “the belief that humanity has the wisdom to transform itself and the world, through one’s own spiritual development.”...many of the kids that go to the 250 Waldorf schools in North America are not vaccinated, including schools with some of the highest vaccine exemption rates in the country, including:

Waldorf School of Mendocino County (California) – 79.1% vaccine exemption rate
Tuscon Waldorf Schools (Arizona) – 69.6% vaccine exemption rate
Waldorf School of San Diego (California) – 63.6% vaccine exemption rate
Orchard Valley Waldorf School (Vermont) – 59.4% MMR vaccine exemption rate
Whidbey Island Waldorf School (Washington) – 54.9% vaccine exemption rate
Austin Waldorf School (Texas) – 48% vaccine exemption rate

That shouldn’t be a surprise, as anthroposophical medicine “attempts to mix the theories and practices of real medicine with quack cures, physical and artistic therapies and biographical counseling” and “their anti-vaccination stance derives from a dangerous and ignorant belief in diseases being something you must go through to strengthen the soul in its present incarnation.”"

From the OP's link:

"In the 1980s, Sullivan was working as a nurse in Johns Hopkins oncology unit when she witnessed chickenpox claim the life of an elementary school-age girl.

The girl, whom Sullivan didn't name, had just finished a leukemia treatment and returned to her home when she came in contact with somebody who had chickenpox.

"Because her immune system was brand spanking new, the disease spread to her internal organs, and she did not survive," Suillivan said. "That was a wake up call to me that this is not a benign childhood illness."...
"It's not just about you," Sullivan said. "It's about the people you interact with: Pregnant women, people with AIDS, people finishing chemo. They're a part of our community, too, and we have to do what we can to protect everybody.""

Uh-oh. If there's anything antivaxers hate, it's the suggestion that having one's kids properly vaccinated is a civic duty (there's even an antivax film sneeringly titled "The Greater Good").
Old 11-19-2018, 01:45 PM

The fascinating thing is the anti-vaxxers will simply ignore the evidence as usual, and double down on their "belief." The more they see innocents suffering the harder they hang on to this nonsense.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

In my neighborhood, there's an anarchist bookstore that hosts a needle exchange for opioid addicts. I love the idea, but have some serious problems with the implementation.

For one thing, they have no medical professionals on staff, nor (AFAICT) do any of the members have any plan to obtain medical skills. For another, they don't allow the users a space to use, because they don't want that kind of trouble in their shop; instead, users get needles and go to the nearest unsupervised location, which during many hours is the school playground nearby. For another thing, they dishonestly represent the danger presented by used discarded needles, belittling and dismissing the concerns of parents who are worried about their kid finding and being stuck by a needle on that playground. For another thing, they refuse to organize a needle clean-up program, although they magnanimously offer to tell others how they can conduct one.

A lot of local folks have complained about the program, and it's on the verge of being shut down.

How is this relevant? Because that anarchist bookstore is less than 500 feet away from the goddamned Waldorf school in that article above. And the danger from the needles from the exchange program is eclipsed--ECLIPSED--by the danger from the needles that are NOT injecting vaccines into those same kids. Parents up in arms about the needle exchange ought to be waving torches and pitchforks at the Waldorf School, whose parents are using their children to breed contagious diseases.

I love a lot about this town, but goddamn.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
As a member of the herd who can't get flu shots, I thank you for doing so.
Got mine last Thursday. It was free and I got to get it during work hours.

This is the first time that they asked everyone to sit on a chair for ten minutes afterwards 'in case of dizziness'. They were also suggesting getting in on your dominant side, because the extra movement was supposed to ease the soreness faster. No idea whether that is true or not. There was no soreness, not even any sting when the liquid went in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Anyone know Rockland County, New York--part of the New York City Metropolitan Area?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockland_County,_New_York

Not exactly poverty stricken.

Well:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/10...-and-climbing/
New York! Thank you. I've seen a couple of news updates on my phone that only say Rockland County, with no clue which state. One update said that County Health was recommending that schools require unvaccinated students stay home until 21 days after the last new case is discovered. Have not heard how that went over.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 AM

More on the wonderful wacky world of Waldorf schools, and the philosophy that disease is good for you (spiritually, anyway):

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2018...elle-surprise/
Old 11-21-2018, 05:47 PM

Updating my post of three weeks ago with 33 cases in Rockland County, New York:

Quote:
There are now 113 confirmed cases of measles in ultra-Orthodox (or Haredi) communities around New York City and Lakewood, New Jersey, with another 16 suspected and under investigation by public health authorities. Two measles-infected babies have been hospitalized in intensive care units. And while it is mostly infants who have been infected, some teenagers and a handful of adults have also fallen ill.
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.pre...reak-1.6675883
Old 11-24-2018, 08:14 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I'll just put this here.
Quote:
Anti-Vax is equivalent to calling someone a nigger and makes as little sense.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I'll just put this here.
What an ignorant and offensive little shithead.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I'll just put this here.
Even setting aside how ridiculously inappropriate it is, the comment doesn't make any sense. I think he's bemoaning the fact that anti-vaxxers are social pariahs? But in the modern world, it's people who use that racial slur who become social pariahs, not the targets of the slur. I suspect that he doesn't really intend to equate antivaxxers with those who use the n-word.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:11 AM

Vaccines don't cause autism.

I'm autistic. If you'd rather have a very sick or dead child instead of someone like me, that's pretty messed up.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:36 PM

The guy who said that ignorant nonsense is Terry Rossio, who is working on making a hagiography of Andrew Wakefield based on Wakefield's book. Just FYI.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
Vaccines don't cause autism.

I'm autistic. If you'd rather have a very sick or dead child instead of someone like me, that's pretty messed up.
A lot of people are terrified at the idea of having a child who is not "normal," in no small part because that might mean they are not "normal." And while they'll never admit it, a lot of people are terrified of having to navigate parenthood that requires more effort than "normal."

"I want my kid to be healthy and normal" really translates to "I don't want to have to raise a neuroatypical child because it might be super hard and I might possibly risk having to devote my entire life to their care."

Last edited by andros; 11-25-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossio
Anti-Vax is equivalent to calling someone a nigger and makes as little sense.
Poor dear.

Antivaxer is a useful and accurate term to describe someone who opposes vaccination (whether mandatory or not), and is dedicated to spreading misinformation on the subject despite repeatedly being shown his/her errors.

Angst about being called an antivaxer has to do with public perception, i.e. the belief that people will look askance at you for being anti-something, and thus a negative sort of person. Antivaxers prefer the deceptive euphemism "pro-vaccine safety", anti-abortion activists use the term "pro-life" and so on.

I found it interesting that in his new book "Vaccines Did Not Cause Rachel's Autism", physician and pro-immunization activist Peter Hotez said that he would rather use the phrase "antivaccine" than "antivaxer" in order not to provoke hostility among his opponents. I highly doubt that they'd find much comfort in the distinction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andros
"I want my kid to be healthy and normal" really translates to "I don't want to have to raise a neuroatypical child because it might be super hard and I might possibly risk having to devote my entire life to their care."
It's difficult to fully imagine the sacrifices involved in raising a severely autistic child (Hotez's book goes into it in describing the upbringing of his daughter Rachel). Some parents in this position have turned virulently against physicians, researchers and other supporters of immunization; many more have not.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 11-25-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I found it interesting that in his new book "Vaccines Did Not Cause Rachel's Autism", physician and pro-immunization activist Peter Hotez said that he would rather use the phrase "antivaccine" than "antivaxer" in order not to provoke hostility among his opponents. I highly doubt that they'd find much comfort in the distinction.
I mean, it's a bit like calling someone a "9/11 troofer" -- the form of the epithet, with its use of non-standard spelling, carries an extra implication of ignorance, doesn't it? It is ... well, just a little bit more mean. (Am I nuts for thinking so?)

Not that the implication of ignorance is unfair, or that I feel at all charitable towards antivaxxers! But I can see why Hotetz might choose not to use it if he is attempting to educate these folks. Better him than me.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
It's difficult to fully imagine the sacrifices involved in raising a severely autistic child (Hotez's book goes into it in describing the upbringing of his daughter Rachel). Some parents in this position have turned virulently against physicians, researchers and other supporters of immunization; many more have not.
My brother was diagnosed with autism in the very early 1980s -- before the vaccine "link." Parents were looking for explanations then, too -- often including blaming themselves, or others. I get the impulse -- it's just so unfortunate that this support network eventually built up around disinformation.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:44 PM

I have a friend who's a former nurse and a vehement anti-vaxxer. And yes, she uses her background in nursing to try to establish herself as an authority on vaccination. After several fruitless attempts to fight ignorance, I told her I will no longer discuss the issue with her. Anti-vaxxers are, in my experience, pharmaceutical conspiracy theorists; there's no arguing with them.

I keep telling her I don't take medical claims seriously unless they're backed by repeated, large-scale clinical trials. Of course, anti-vaxxers can't cite any. Her response: that's because all those studies are backed by Big Pharma, including those done by universities and independent (She would put quotation marks around that word.) research organizations. Anti-vaccination organizations are the brave Davids against the murderous Goliaths in her view, and as such don't have the money or resources to conduct large-scale clinical trials. Oh, and of course, the FDA is TOTALLY controlled by Big Pharma.

One thing I didn't ask her before the ban was this: do anti-vaxxers accept any responsibility for the deaths from measles outbreaks? Or is that somehow the fault of Big Pharma, too?
Old 11-25-2018, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
I have a friend who's a former nurse and a vehement anti-vaxxer. And yes, she uses her background in nursing to try to establish herself as an authority on vaccination. After several fruitless attempts to fight ignorance, I told her I will no longer discuss the issue with her. Anti-vaxxers are, in my experience, pharmaceutical conspiracy theorists; there's no arguing with them.

I keep telling her I don't take medical claims seriously unless they're backed by repeated, large-scale clinical trials. Of course, anti-vaxxers can't cite any. Her response: that's because all those studies are backed by Big Pharma, including those done by universities and independent (She would put quotation marks around that word.) research organizations. Anti-vaccination organizations are the brave Davids against the murderous Goliaths in her view, and as such don't have the money or resources to conduct large-scale clinical trials. Oh, and of course, the FDA is TOTALLY controlled by Big Pharma.

One thing I didn't ask her before the ban was this: do anti-vaxxers accept any responsibility for the deaths from measles outbreaks? Or is that somehow the fault of Big Pharma, too?
Yeah, sort of.

https://www.healthyfamiliesforgod.co...7/04/5-measles

And they'll just tell you that if your kids had better immune systems made healthier by the right foods and vitamins, then measles wouldn't be such a problem and neither would any other disease.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post

Anyone who whines about "Big Pharma" establishes by the use of that terminology that they are absolute morons.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages View Post
Yeah, sort of.

And they'll just tell you that if your kids had better immune systems made healthier by the right foods and vitamins, then measles wouldn't be such a problem and neither would any other disease.
From the link:
Quote:
Pro-life or pro-vaccine? Can't be both.
Ironic quote of the day.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Anyone who whines about "Big Pharma" establishes by the use of that terminology that they are absolute morons.
No shit.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
A lot of people are terrified at the idea of having a child who is not "normal," in no small part because that might mean they are not "normal." And while they'll never admit it, a lot of people are terrified of having to navigate parenthood that requires more effort than "normal."

I was never “terrified” that raising my child might take more effort than normal, but I sure wanted my child not to have any major health problems.

I will absolutely admit that I don't want to devote my entire life to the care of an offspring (or anyone else).
Old 11-26-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoe View Post
I mean, it's a bit like calling someone a "9/11 troofer" -- the form of the epithet, with its use of non-standard spelling, carries an extra implication of ignorance, doesn't it? It is ... well, just a little bit more mean. (Am I nuts for thinking so?).
Not nuts. I'll just cordially disagree (I never get to say that to antivaxers ).

You want mean? Now this is kinda mean.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages View Post
Yeah, sort of.

What kind of drugs are those fools running that site on? They list the numbers of deaths caused by the measles vaccine but say, "Hey, there weren't any deaths in this time period from measles."

Okay, boys and girls. Let's have a fun little quiz right now.

Are you ready?

Good.

Care to guess WHY there weren't any deaths from measles during that freaking time period?
Old 11-27-2018, 10:40 AM

The power of magic? The power of Jesus? wait, was it the Power of Magic Jesus?
Old 11-27-2018, 10:50 AM

Ooo! Ooo! I know!

It's because measles isn't actually dangerous at all, let alone lethal, but Big Pharma has edited all the history books and run a scurrilous smear campaign to portray it as bad in order to sell more vaccines filled with mercury!
Old 11-28-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Care to guess WHY there weren't any deaths from measles during that freaking time period?
Because of better nutrition and clean water, silly. America was a veritable Third World country up until the early 60s, then suddenly they built modern sewers and water treatment facilities and good food became available, so bye-bye measles (measles incidence and deaths plummeting after vaccine introduction was just a coincidence).

And you gotta wonder why we vaccinate against diphtheria, when hardly anyone gets diphtheria now.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You want mean? Now this is kinda mean.
Um, have you read the title of the thread you're contributing to?