Old 02-03-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

In modern America a consensus is emerging that females must say YES before submitting to a sexual assault. Failure to wait for the YES is rape. Why is Microsoft allowed to rape me without asking for consent?
http://southpark.cc.com/full-episode...-humancentipad
Old 02-05-2019, 07:49 AM

Just had a "Your pc ... detected a problem ... Must restart." These only occurred once per year or less under Windows 9,010. Are they going to be a much more prevalent feature under Windows 10,010?

No, I don't think 9,010 and 10,010 are the correct names for these Windows 10 versions. Perhaps I should use the more descriptive names — "Ridiculously Slow Windows" and "Twice as Slow as That!" — for the two versions respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post
Just to be clear, unpatched and vulnerable computers are a danger to the community.
There are zero other computers connected to mine. AFAIK, all zero of these computers have remained uninfected from mine.

I'll report on two (2) viruses that my own laptop(s) have suffered. One was the dreaded Fujacks virus or whatever it's called. One or both of the virus defenders I had installed reported the infection, but neither could fix it. IIRC, one of the virus defenders was willing to give me a longer report on the infection if I told it my credit card number. Instead I Googled, learned about Fujacks, and removed the virus myself.

The other virus infecting my computer, and which has caused me much grief is Windows 10 itself.

You won't need to sell me on Unix/Linux! I was using Unix when MS-Dos was steal a gleam in Bill Gates' eyes. I've owned several computers on which I installed RedHat or Fedora Linux. However last time I tried to install Linux on a laptop my effort didn't go well:
(1) The distribution seemed design to emulate all the worst features of Windows. My two favorite programs — csh and gcc — weren't even included in the default; indeed 'csh' was hard to come by; its use was "deprecated." This despite the fact that the 'csh' executable uses only a tiny fraction of that of a 'calendar program with Dancing Pigs', of which the distro had 2. These problems would have been only a minor nuisance for masochistic geeks, however
(2) That Linux kernel did not understand my Toshiba CPU well enough to turn down the clock speed when idling. In my climate I keep a fan trained on running computers and they still need all the help they can get. Windows 7 with Cygwin seemed like the simplest way forward for my simple needs.

The salesman told me Windows 7 wasn't available for my new laptop; would I like Windows 10? I am computer-literate enough to know that Windows X is inferior to Windows Y whenever X > Y, but I didn't know it would be this bad. Maybe I'll shop in second-hand stalls for a Windows 7 computer next time.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:55 AM

There is also a huge difference in manageability between the HOME and the PRO versions of Windows 10. Most PC's, even office ones, are shipped with HOME, unless PRO is requested.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:26 AM

I don't know if it's changed, but Linux on a laptop was a pain. Everything was pretty smooth, except that to get wireless running was a nightmare. Open source is great except when it disallows the easiest options.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
There are zero other computers connected to mine. AFAIK, all zero of these computers have remained uninfected from mine.
So it's not connected to the internet? Where's it getting updates from then?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Getting anything working without a driver will be a pain, but I install Linux on laptops all the time and have not had any problems recently. Though a couple of years ago a particular wireless dongle did not work out of the box; I had to download a driver.

Most Linux and BSD have a bootable installer, as does Windows. It takes literally minutes to try it out. Perhaps the Linux that came without a C compiler was Ubuntu, the Microsoft Windows of Linux distributions? Fedora has it by default; FreeBSD ships with clang instead of gcc these days.

Agreed that you should be using Windows Pro instead of the Home edition. Windows 10 works fine (as does Linux!) but I do run the "Tron" script to clean it up before using.

I still think the complaints about Windows while continuing to use it are funny. If someone doesn't like it and doesn't like Linux, good news, OpenVMS for x86-64 processors is coming out.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
Getting anything working without a driver will be a pain, but I install Linux on laptops all the time and have not had any problems recently. Though a couple of years ago a particular wireless dongle did not work out of the box; I had to download a driver.

Most Linux and BSD have a bootable installer, as does Windows. It takes literally minutes to try it out. Perhaps the Linux that came without a C compiler was Ubuntu, the Microsoft Windows of Linux distributions? Fedora has it by default; FreeBSD ships with clang instead of gcc these days.

Agreed that you should be using Windows Pro instead of the Home edition. Windows 10 works fine (as does Linux!) but I do run the "Tron" script to clean it up before using.

I still think the complaints about Windows while continuing to use it are funny. If someone doesn't like it and doesn't like Linux, good news, OpenVMS for x86-64 processors is coming out.
Isn't Mint the Windows of Linux? Or do you mean by popularity? Ubuntu's GUI reminds me of Mac but Kubuntu is more Windows-like.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Isn't Mint the Windows of Linux? Or do you mean by popularity? Ubuntu's GUI reminds me of Mac but Kubuntu is more Windows-like.
I have not tried Mint. I did not mean the GUI, just that Ubuntu is apparently not aimed at power users, hence no C compiler out of the box (which is what annoyed septimus), and that it includes some crap/bloatware like the Amazon store app.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
I don't see a smiley-face here, so I'm going to assume you're serious. Apologies if you, like I, often indulge in tongue-in-cheek hyperbole with humorous intent.

(Speaking of which, the following, like OP, may be somewhat hyperbolic.)

There are some things I don't like about my Honda. I suppose if I mentioned them, you'd urge me to rush off and trade it in a Toyota, whatever the inconvenience or financial loss of doing the trade-in!

I use the laptop primarily to watch YouTubes and rant at SDMB. If your life is so tranquil that changing the OS on such a laptop would be a priority, congratulations! If my life got that tranquil I think I'd get my blood pressure checked to see if I was still alive.

I've already memorized the three extra mouse movements now needed to put the laptop to sleep; I mentioned them out of surprise. Had I been Commanding General of the Micro$oft software brigades I'd have made "Simple and Fast" the watchword. Instead "Slow and Complicated" appears to be the target. I suppose this somehow improves their revenue. The extra minute spent awaking from sleep will be invisible — I'll get in the habit of using the minute to make a cup of coffee. With cygwin giving me 99+% of what I want Linux for, figuring out how to do a Linux install and finish with a desktop that doesn't make me want to puke is NOT a priority.

So I'll probably continue as a "loyal Windows customer" (although the computer store here in Thailand didn't actually itemize the Windows 10 cost on its invoice — Don't Ask Don't Tell is our policy). Despite this "loyalty" I still do find it annoying that they act as though they own my laptop!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
You own the laptop. You do not own the copy of Windows that is on it.

With previous versions of Windows, you still did not own it. Microsoft owned it, and sold you a license to use it. They still owned it. You only licensed it.

Starting with Windows 10, you no longer license a copy of Windows. Instead, Windows is a service. You pay for the service, and Microsoft provides and controls the service. They control when it upgrades. There's none of this nonsense of hanging on to an older operating system because it actually ran your programs correctly. Nope, you upgrade when Microsoft upgrades their service.

Welcome to upgrade hell. If you use anything other than what comes with Windows, you can all but guarantee that one of Microsoft's upgrades will eventually break it.
This.

Windows have not enforced licensing since Windows 7. All version of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 were also eligible for a free update to Windows 10 and were able to use their old product key to activate it as long as there were no major hardware updates. i.e. a new system motherboard.

Anyone who buys a new, refurbished, or used computer builds with Windows 10 pre-installed most likely do not own an active license. Windows may prompt you to activate it and there may be some limitations to how you can personalize your set-up but it is fully functional and will update normally. It may prompt you for activations but this can be ignored with no repercussions at the moment.

That said, legally you are in violation of the EULA which you agreed to by installing, logging in, running software, possessing a physical or digital copy, etc... without a license.

As engineer_comp_geek said, Microsoft seems content to leave this alone as they could discontinue the service at any time during one of their updates.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-elf View Post
My complaint: I am left-handed, so my first job upon getting a work or personal PC or laptop is to switch the mouse to left handed. Ever since I got the Windows 10 update, on the occasions I (unwillingly, as others have mentioned} reboot, my laptop reverts to right-handed while I input my username and password. And since I mentioned passwords, I am a grown up and if I choose to run the risk of someone unauthorized using my laptop for possibly nefarious reasons I should bloody well be able to.
I'm left-handed as well but find this post baffling.

Why would you need a left-handed mouse? It a pretty simple device which can easily be used by either hand. In fact, I use it with my right hand which frees up my dominant left hand for other tasks such as typing, writing notes, using the phone, etc..

Secondly, you can go into your user setting and disable your password, if you bloody well want.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
I'm left-handed as well but find this post baffling.

Why would you need a left-handed mouse? It a pretty simple device which can easily be used by either hand. In fact, I use it with my right hand which frees up my dominant left hand for other tasks such as typing, writing notes, using the phone, etc..

Secondly, you can go into your user setting and disable your password, if you bloody well want.
I’ve been doing IT support for almost 20 years so I’ve had many left-handed customers. Some change the mouse buttons so that the right/left button functions are reversed (it’s in the mouse Control Panel applet) and some are used to clicking with the middle finger primary, index finger secondary so they leave it at default. It seems to come down to personal preference.

I’m sure some of my customers are like you and use their non-dominant hand for the mouse but I’ve never had anyone say so. I suspect most lefties find it trivial to just move the mouse to the left of the keyboard; generally a wired mouse will let you do so unless you’re totally anal about wrapping up cables and of course a wireless mouse really makes it easy.

It’s only a real problem with asymmetrical mice. Then you need a different mouse completely. I’ve never known an organization to standardize on those though for this very reason.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
In modern America a consensus is emerging that females must say YES before submitting to a sexual assault.
What the ever-loving fuck?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
... Secondly, you can go into your user setting and disable your password, if you bloody well want.
My laptop came without a password. But when I wanted to view a saved website password in Chrome, Chrome asked me for my Windows password; and (unless I missed some workaround) wouldn't show passwords until I set a non-null Windows password.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
{snip} In modern America a consensus is emerging that females must say YES before submitting to a sexual assault. Failure to wait for the YES is rape. Why is Microsoft allowed to rape me without asking for consent?
So... women agree to be sexually assaulted? A software update is the same thing as rape?

Imma give you a minute to rephrase/retract that mess.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 AM

Well, it's been a minute.

Reported.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
So... women agree to be sexually assaulted? A software update is the same thing as rape?

Imma give you a minute to rephrase/retract that mess.
My comment was both hyperbolic and poorly phrased.

Sorry for giving offense.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:32 AM

Now you see how your notions of "oh, dear me, I stubbed my toe. I was raped by the sidewalk."

Don't actually mean shit and how we all see you as a troll, except for the mods, are right. You fucking shit of a troll.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Now you see how your notions of "oh, dear me, I stubbed my toe. I was raped by the sidewalk."

Don't actually mean shit and how we all see you as a troll, except for the mods, are right. You fucking shit of a troll.
Are you claiming I've used the rape metaphor before? Cite?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
My laptop came without a password. But when I wanted to view a saved website password in Chrome, Chrome asked me for my Windows password; and (unless I missed some workaround) wouldn't show passwords until I set a non-null Windows password.
Yes, that's true but that's a Google Chrome issue not Microsoft.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:

In modern America a consensus is emerging that females must say YES before submitting to a sexual assault. Failure to wait for the YES is rape. Why is Microsoft allowed to rape me without asking for consent?
There was an episode of Cheers where Cliff was so enamored of a potato that looked like Richard Nixon, he put it on a Ken doll and made a little press conference to show to everybody at the bar. Norm went up to him and said "Cliff, remember when you asked me to tell you when you going over the edge? Cliff, you knocked the head off a doll and put a potato in its place. I think this counts."

So sept, you just compared waiting for updates to being raped. I think this counts as you going over the edge.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I'm one step closer to the edge! My app's about to break!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I'm one step closer to the edge! My app's about to break!
Edge.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
Them hit the “Update” button when you go to bed. Not. Rocketsurgery.
That's bad advice. That button can result in you getting the full 4 GB upgrade (which, frankly, shouldn't exist at all) instead of just an update. The basic guide is to never be a "seeker."

Again, you can simply use a program that blocks the update service from even working. Do that when you need to avoid an update. No, you shouldn't have to use a third party tool, but you can do it.

You really just seem to be here to shit on anyone who has any problems with Microsoft dictating how updates work, and don't actually know much about it. If you don't have knowledge, why speak?

Last edited by BigT; 02-08-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
That's bad advice. That button can result in you getting the full 4 GB upgrade (which, frankly, shouldn't exist at all) instead of just an update. The basic guide is to never be a "seeker."

Again, you can simply use a program that blocks the update service from even working. Do that when you need to avoid an update. No, you shouldn't have to use a third party tool, but you can do it.

You really just seem to be here to shit on anyone who has any problems with Microsoft dictating how updates work, and don't actually know much about it. If you don't have knowledge, why speak?

Why the fuck would you assume that I would mean “find Windows Update, run it, install all the latest updates.” When there is like, a button, that says “install and shutdown”?

Why speak? Indeed.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post

Holy fuck, you little annoying sanctimonious turd. You're the one who doesn't know much about it.

You admit yourself that you don't even use Windows 10, then you suggest some third party that was the first thing that popped up on a Google search and the provide a link to a "ask some internet guy" site. So.... if you don't have the knowledge, why do YOU speak?

Look, I don't love how Microsoft pushes out its updates, and I'm sure The Librarian is not a proponent either, but it is a necessary evil.

If you don't like it there are several ways to control it before exposing your system to third party software such as turning automatic updates off, disabling windows update service, setting up a metered connection, setting a windows update scheduled task, etc..

Your "basic guide" is also fucking wrong, you should be checking for updates for your hardware periodically especially for your BIOS, chipsets, video drivers, etc.. Sure you can delay operating system updates but to ignore them indefinitely is moronic.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
As someone who ran XP for 15 years on multiple computers with not a single update from start,
Seriously? No updates, ever?

You do realize that you just entirely blew away any relevance about what you say in this thread, don't you? Not updating is colossally stupid, and you probably just managed to get extremely lucky that nobody found any of your myriad security holes.

But I'm with that left-handed guy upthread otherwise; Windows 10 has a habit of monkeying with default settings on updates and making you go through serious hoops to get things back the way they were... and to no useful end.

For example, I happen to like a little image viewing program called IrfanView to look at jpgs and other image files, instead of the Windows default photo viewer.

Anytime they update Photos, or I update IrfanView, the default file associations get set to Photos, and I have to go through a series of hoops to reset it to IrfanView- the usual right-click and set association stuff doesn't work. And why? There's no compelling reason to make me use their cruddy utility- they don't get more money from me using it, and it's not more stable, etc...
Old 02-09-2019, 01:29 AM

Just this week I had to setup a computer with Windows 10 1607, because it needs to run software that bugs out on anything later. The software's publisher claims it works on anything after 1607, up to 1803, but the user experience is different. Anyway, not my project, I'm just helping get the computer going, and they are under strict instructions that it is not to go online after April, when enterprise support for 1607 ends.

Anyway, I needed to set something to keep they system on 1607. From the update page I clicked "Advanced options" and then something like "pause feature updates". On later versions of Windows 10 you can pause feature updates for a set number of days, up to a year.

You'll still get security updates, and I'm sure lots of annoying things like resetting the ads in the start menu, but preventing major updates is baked right in, and easy to handle.

Last edited by echoreply; 02-09-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Just had a "Your pc ... detected a problem ... Must restart." These only occurred once per year or less under Windows 9,010. Are they going to be a much more prevalent feature under Windows 10,010?
I've had two more of these error-restarts since I posted the above. Not only does each waste several minutes, but I lose things (e.g. xterm command histories or Notepad scrawlings) whose loss is inconvenient.

But I'm sure that buried in the maze of useless new features is some link to an ad of pigs dancing on Microsoft's behalf. Thank you so very very big, Microsoft!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 PM

If you don't want to download anything fancy like Notepad+ with crash recovery, Stickies is better for notes to yourself.