Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 AM

So I’m an assistant scoutmaster for a local BSA troop. I’m about ready to throw in the towel.

Our group consists of about 15 boys, the scoutmaster, and two assistant scoutmasters. The scoutmaster works a rotating schedule at a local mill, so 4 weeks of day shift and 4 weeks of evening shift. That means, of course, that every other month he’s not there for all 4 weeks. This causes two problems: first, we don’t have enough leadership during the meetings to effectively guide the boys. This isn’t hugely critical because the older boys, who are all Life rank, can pretty much take care of themselves. But the younger boys can’t—they still need guidance.

Second, and IMO a much bigger problem is since the Scoutmaster is gone for 4 weeks at a time, when he comes back he’s totally in the dark WRT the goings-on of the past month. We (that is, me, since the other ASM is pretty worthless) have tried to take notes during the 4 weeks that he’s gone and then get him up to speed on his first day back, but he never was interested so, I stopped doing it cuz I’m not going to waste my time.

So the end result of all this is a dysfunctional, poorly led group that pretty much functions as a social club for boys. We don’t do much “scout” stuff like camping of hiking or building fires and setting up tents. I work weekends and, when I joined, made it clear that I would do whatever I could to help—but weekend campouts had to be shouldered by somebody else. The result? No campouts. Even though both the Scoutmaster and other ASM have weekends off. In fact, the other ASM is a disabled vet who doesn’t work at all.

Finally, it’s slowly dawned on me that the committee chair and the scoutmaster and the other ASM apparently have numerous discussions about the troop, discussions that don’t include me. This makes me feel like a drooling simpleton that nobody likes: the kid who’s ostensibly part of the team but never leaves the bench and isn’t invited to the after-game celebratory ice cream parties. I just received a text from the committee chair informing us that he won’t be at the regular troop meeting tonight but reminding us to come to the committee meeting next week because we need to discuss the Philmont trip next year.

We haven’t discussed a Philmont trip in any way, shape, or form. But after some back-and-forth texts it became apparent that the scoutmaster, other ASM, and the pastor of the church we’re chartered through have been planning this for some time. My boys are both in the troop and have heard nothing about this.

So fuck it. If it wasn’t for my boys wanting to stay I would’ve bailed months ago.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Fucking Wells Fargo! Their systems have been down all morning. I can't access my accounts. I want to buy a new phone and I'm afraid my card will be declined. This doesn't affect just me. It seems to be nationwide. Fuck them sideways with a cactus.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Fucking Wells Fargo! Their systems have been down all morning. I can't access my accounts. I want to buy a new phone and I'm afraid my card will be declined. This doesn't affect just me. It seems to be nationwide. Fuck them sideways with a cactus.
Indeed. This is my bank, and I'm also a shareholder. After this nonsensity and the fake account scandals, I'm ready to sell my stock and move my accounts elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Peeved more at myself than anybody else ... finished the infusion chemo, and the oral chemo/radiation and am on treatment vacation waiting for some imaging before we decide where to go next ... I have had neuropathy in my hands and feet since more or less May and it just occurred to me to get toe socks to limit the sandpaper between the toes sensation back in November ... *sob* Now the neuropathy is sort of getting better in my hands but slightly worse in my feet ... but at least I have my toe socks.

[I don't care if I never get the feeling back in my feet, but I really miss my fingers *sigh*]
Old 02-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumtrimpet View Post
Don't know about real Cat-scratch fever, but it sounds like your arm is infected. Get thee to a doctor.

My friend's Lucifer cat (yes, that's her name and for good reason) bit her father's hand. Four deep bite marks by his thumb. Infected and on antibiotics. Most cats don't mean to kill you. Lucifer would like to.
So, I went to the Doctor. He said they were indeed infected. Got them cleaned out, which burnt like a SOB. I'm on 10 days of Cipro. I know it's gonna make nauseated. The nurse who squirted the nasty stuff in my 16 scratches went on and on about the ugly cat scratches and bites she's seen. Running a low grade temp. Advil on board.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
So, I went to the Doctor. He said they were indeed infected. Got them cleaned out, which burnt like a SOB. I'm on 10 days of Cipro. I know it's gonna make nauseated. The nurse who squirted the nasty stuff in my 16 scratches went on and on about the ugly cat scratches and bites she's seen. Running a low grade temp. Advil on board.
Very sorry they were infected but very glad you had them dealt with.

Hope you feel much better soon.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:09 PM

Glad you got the scratches taken care of Beckdawrek. I've been very careful with cat scratches ever since my former co-worker's ex-husband died of blood poisoning caused by a dog scratch. He apparently ignored all the signs of infection until it was too late and died in the ER. Now I make sure to clean any cat scratch with rubbing alcohol. Peroxide be damned, I get out the big guns.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:45 PM

They cleaned mine with betadine. Boy it burned. I've got to redo it myself tomarrow. As my forearm swelled the little scratches opened up a bit. It looks weird. Like little red eyeballs staring at me.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

My cat scratch protocol:
  1. Soap and water
  2. Witch Hazel
  3. Rubbing Alcohol
  4. Tea Tree Oil
  5. Neosporin (with the topical anesthetic

Usually the scratches aren't too bad, so I'll skip steps 2, 3, and 5. The longer and deeper they are, the more steps I add.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
If you have solid pills you are lucky. The greatest evil invented is the capsules--they produce burps of death.

Today's festivities were what I thought was a fistulagram--but it was a full workover and tuneup that needed anesthesia. Happy happy, joy joy. If this works maybe I can get rid of the PermaCath before it catches the Plague.

It's quite interesting how life is now that they have sucked eight kilos of water out of me in the last two weeks. When they get me "dry" I will need new glasses--my nose is not long enough!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
So Iím an assistant scoutmaster for a local BSA troop. Iím about ready to throw in the towel.

<snip>

So fuck it. If it wasnít for my boys wanting to stay I wouldíve bailed months ago.
I'm totally with you here - my son is also in a scout troop and it is led (led being a generous term) by a team of the most dysfunctional, disengaged, disorganized men I've ever met. I'm not an assistant scoutmaster, but the activities coordinator, and the guys decide they want go places somedays just days in advance of the event, yet give me no information on where the location happens to be or when specifically they want to do things.

As a result, if we're lucky enough to get a reservation, we pay through the nose. Since they don't seem to understand I can't walk into a bank and fill out a form to just get a second credit card on the scout account but need the owner of the account with me (who the fuck doesn't know that???), I wind up making half the reservations on my own dime and get reimbursed whenever the hell they feel like it. And because leadership is so disorganized, none of the parents bother to respond to requests for headcount! I probably wouldn't, either - by the time they solidify plans, most of the troop already has something else they need to do, yet these guys are shocked at the lack of participation and the fact that we've had several boys drop out mid-year.

If this troop doesn't die on its own in the next year or so, I'm going to have a more serious conversation with my son about whether this is something he really wants to continue. He's not interested in a different troop (we've talked about that) and being part of this troop means he has to cool his heels and not make plans for anything else if he wants to participate in troop activities because we rarely know more than a week in advance of anything coming up. Hopefully he'll get sick of it if the troop doesn't just die on its own; I'm certainly over the whole damn thing.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
It's quite interesting how life is now that they have sucked eight kilos of water out of me in the last two weeks. When they get me "dry" I will need new glasses--my nose is not long enough!
Yikes! Even 8 pints of water would be a crisis. What's that about? I searched the boards to no avail. Hope you're ok/getting better!
Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 AM

So I was just cleaning my glasses and snapped the arm off on the left side, right at the joint. Arrggghhh! They are thin metal frames so not fixable. I got someone to help me tape the two parts together with pieces of a bandaid but that barely holds it. I don't have a spare pair so I've got to go to the optometrist asap. Of course, the earliest appointment is next Tuesday. Dammit. I do not need this expense on top of the bill I just got from the orthopedist who looked at my knee a few weeks ago. I owe them nearly $500 since I havenít met my deductible yet. February is not starting off well.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:26 PM

Throws my whole morning off when my husband doesn't go to work. Mostly it's all the talking. I really like my solitude (well, with the dogs) to ease myself into the workday.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
So I was just cleaning my glasses and snapped the arm off on the left side, right at the joint. Arrggghhh! They are thin metal frames so not fixable. I got someone to help me tape the two parts together with pieces of a bandaid but that barely holds it. I don't have a spare pair so I've got to go to the optometrist asap. Of course, the earliest appointment is next Tuesday. Dammit. I do not need this expense on top of the bill I just got from the orthopedist who looked at my knee a few weeks ago. I owe them nearly $500 since I havenít met my deductible yet. February is not starting off well.
Unless you think you need a new exam/presicription, I don't think you need to see the optometrist. You should be able to use your existing one to order new glasses.

And I think a lot of places could actually use your existing glasses to determine your prescription.

And (I'm full of barely worthwhile advice), if you know what brand the glasses are, can you order a new earpiece? Or did the hinge break off the eyeglasses part (in case, replace 'barely' with 'completely')?
Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Unless you think you need a new exam/presicription, I don't think you need to see the optometrist. You should be able to use your existing one to order new glasses.

And I think a lot of places could actually use your existing glasses to determine your prescription.

And (I'm full of barely worthwhile advice), if you know what brand the glasses are, can you order a new earpiece? Or did the hinge break off the eyeglasses part (in case, replace 'barely' with 'completely')?
I haven't had an exam in over a year so my optometrist won't give me new ones. He's a preferred provider in my network and I've gone to him for years so I don't want to go anywhere else. I was planning to get the exam and new glasses in the next few months anyway.

The arm broke on the area closest to the lens so the broken piece has the hinge on it.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Still not working. Today is payday (for a lot of folks) and all Wells Fargo shit ... is ... wonky. There's a stupid mea culpa posted on their website, something about smoke and maintenance blah blah. Whatever. I have direct deposit, and just got a low balance notification text. So I have pending money, I guess. Yay. That pays dem bills.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Yikes! Even 8 pints of water would be a crisis. What's that about? I searched the boards to no avail. Hope you're ok/getting better!
My kidneys decided to turn to raisins, on the way to walnuts. I had been retaining water for a while, and my legs started channeling a Zeppelin. Still have more to go. my feet still are about twice as thick as they should be. Maybe in a month or so the PermaCath can get extracted, its no showers until then.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Dear colleague:

You can EITHER post idiotic memes to Facebook advising everybody to avoid the medical system in favor of herbal supplements and naturopathy ... or you can be a nursing professor. Pick one.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Mother Nature is on a bender--it was 60 degrees when I drove over to dialysis, and it dropped to 25 overnight, with howling winds. Maybe the January Thaw was on vacation and was late getting back.

Another 2.2 litres gone. I'm starting to look like a three day old latex helium balloon. I think I have ankles again!
Old 02-09-2019, 04:59 PM

My daffodils started blooming during the warm spell. It's been in the 30s for 2 days. They are officially stunned, maybe dead. This is big daffodil country. There are least 3 festivals in the near vicinity. They all have dates the last week of Feb and early Mar. Don't think they'll have blooms. I have at least 1000 in my yard. Oh well, Tulips are still underground.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-09-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:48 PM

I have a small side business, and there was one (ONE!) local business that would buy from me at wholesale prices. All my other sales are to individuals, at a slightly higher price but generally low volume.

Now that business has a new manager who's giving me an even lower price, and cock-blocks every attempt I make to communicate directly with the owner, who gave me the original quoted price. I've got the original email thread as proof or whatever, but it's a shared inbox (they're a small biz, one location so basically mom'n'pop type of store) and Manager Prick keeps intercepting.

Meanwhile my inventory is through the roof and I'd reeeeeally like to move some out the door. Accepting this lower price barely makes it worth driving out there to deliver ... but worse, feels like admitting defeat.

In the meantime, my inventory is piling up and I've got no alternative revenue stream. Fuck.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I live in Beijing. I hate, despise, and loathe cold weather. I have an especial dislike of snow. So I'm on vacation in Busan. It snowed the day before I arrived in town. Snow is a rarity in Busan, unlike in Seoul. The idea of coming here was to get away from such weather.
Thus far I've been to Texas once. I went in mid-November and was excited to be going someplace warmer. Except it ended up being during an unheard of cold snap, and it was exactly one degree warmer in Texas than it was at the time back home in New Hampshire. Sigh.

We're going back in May of 2020. Watch it be during the next cold snap...
Old 02-10-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Thus far I've been to Texas once. I went in mid-November and was excited to be going someplace warmer. Except it ended up being during an unheard of cold snap, and it was exactly one degree warmer in Texas than it was at the time back home in New Hampshire. Sigh.

We're going back in May of 2020. Watch it be during the next cold snap...
I got zapped by the mirror reverse of that. Went on vacation in the upper midwest in late september. In the southeast this year, summer showed no sign of letting up on heat and humidity even in late september, so I was looking forward to deliciously cool and dry weather up north.

It was not to be. Ended up with a heatwave up there, and everyone there was remarking "this is the hottest it's been here in years...". Major disappointment, though it was marginally less humid than back home.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 AM

Ugh, I thought I'd at least get a couple individual sales. Had a 5 or 6 solid-sounding convos w different folks last week who all seemed interested (and it's the first time I've been off work on a weekend in months, so schedule coordination shouldn't have been a problem) but .. nada. All flaked on me. I sell from home so having people come to my house is not nothing. But *planning* for it and then twiddling my thumbs is a much bigger PITA and frankly, I'm getting discouraged.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 PM

Thanks a bunch, Shari

So, I got a spam email last week about Shari's Berries for Valentines Day. The thing is, I knew I had to buy something for VD, and the email included a 25% discount, blah, blah, blah.

So, I placed the order. Strawberries dipped in chocolate looked and sounded great. I initially was going to order 6, but the full dozen was just a bit more, so I chose that.

I went to pay. I claimed my 25% discount, entered my cc info, and expected it to be a little under $20. NOPE! There are all kinds of ancillary fees for shipping, etc. Total was around $50. And I'd just spent 15 minutes entering all the info. Damn.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:40 PM

First I have to admit that I tend to be too literal and fairly pedantic, so this could be on me. But it was my understanding that managers and executives of companies have to have a fair amount of people skills since their job is 90% dealing with people. So why am I always encountering people above me with worse social skills than me? Case in point, I'd heard that we'd hired a new manager above my manager but I hadn't seen him and wasn't introduced to him. I just came out of a meeting that included a man I didn't know and suspected was him, and afterwards as we were walking out I introduced myself. It went kind of like this:

me: Hi, I don't think I know you, have we met?
him: No, we haven't met
me: Okay, I'm <say my name, and shake his hand>
him: nice to meet you
me: ... <smiling>
him: <smiles but says nothing>
me: what's your name? <then he finally tells me his name>

The reason it stood out to me is because I really suck at introducing myself to people, so the fact that I had to bluntly ask what his name is was very uncharacteristically bold of me. Anyway, isn't introducing yourself to fellow business people part and parcel of being in management?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcWoman View Post
First I have to admit that I tend to be too literal and fairly pedantic, so this could be on me. But it was my understanding that managers and executives of companies have to have a fair amount of people skills since their job is 90% dealing with people. So why am I always encountering people above me with worse social skills than me? Case in point, I'd heard that we'd hired a new manager above my manager but I hadn't seen him and wasn't introduced to him. I just came out of a meeting that included a man I didn't know and suspected was him, and afterwards as we were walking out I introduced myself. It went kind of like this:

me: Hi, I don't think I know you, have we met?
him: No, we haven't met
me: Okay, I'm <say my name, and shake his hand>
him: nice to meet you
me: ... <smiling>
him: <smiles but says nothing>
me: what's your name? <then he finally tells me his name>

The reason it stood out to me is because I really suck at introducing myself to people, so the fact that I had to bluntly ask what his name is was very uncharacteristically bold of me. Anyway, isn't introducing yourself to fellow business people part and parcel of being in management?
I suspect that he thought you must have known who he was, and that was why you were introducing yourself. Although in that case, I'd be more likely to do something like:

Me: Mr Muckety-Muck? (pause for acknowledgement)
MM: Yes?
Me: Hi, I'm Fred and I work for Jane Smith.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Back at the doctors office about my cat scratches. They are gonna do a white count. Just what I need another finger poke. I had to test my sugar about 30 times over the weekend. Infection causes variations in my numbers. I ate very carefully all weekend. I still feel slightly ill. I bet they change my antibiotic. Crap. Crap. Crap!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

The orange fool with the Tribble on his head cost my retirement fund 3Ĺ grand last year.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Pretty sure the only other time my retirement fund lost money was when Duhbya left an economic mess for Obama to clean up.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:23 AM

Still can't get a decent night's sleep. I'll get like an hour here, two hours there. I can't remember the last time I had a solid 8 hours.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Still can't get a decent night's sleep. I'll get like an hour here, two hours there. I can't remember the last time I had a solid 8 hours.
I do. Happens maybe once or twice a year, tops. Next morning feels like I WON something.

I've accepted that my sleep tends to be interrupted a couple times per night, and it actually helped tremendously, in that I sleep better with that assumption. Instead of "ohnoes I am awake at 4 a.m. tomorrow gonna suck, if I fall asleep rightthisminute I'll get another couple hours.. " anxiety crap, I now think, "Ah yes, my 4 a.m. pee break" and end up falling back asleep more easily.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:18 AM

Um, that post was supposed to express sympathy for the previous poster. Upon re-read, I may have failed.

I blame lack of sleep.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's total woo, but my gf has problems with sleeping through the night, so when I read about lavender as a sleep aid I thought I'd give it a try. I bought a diffuser and some lavender oil. My gf has slept much better since we started our little experiment.

There is science behind it.

Quote:
Lavender is traditionally alleged to have a variety of therapeutic and curative properties, ranging from inducing relaxation to treating parasitic infections, burns, insect bites, and spasm. There is growing evidence suggesting that lavender oil may be an effective medicament in treatment of several neurological disorders. Several animal and human investigations suggest anxiolytic, mood stabilizer, sedative, analgesic, and anticonvulsive and neuroprotective properties for lavender.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I suspect that he thought you must have known who he was, and that was why you were introducing yourself. Although in that case, I'd be more likely to do something like:

Me: Mr Muckety-Muck? (pause for acknowledgement)
MM: Yes?
Me: Hi, I'm Fred and I work for Jane Smith.
True, but we've had a steady stream of new hires over the last few months, so I didn't take this approach because of the possible embarrassment if I guessed wrong. The company is much better than my former toxic place but one of the unpleasant things here is that new people aren't introduced around, and communication is left mostly to the grapevine.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

I'm just sick to fucking death of everyone being outraged over every little goddamn thing that someone says or does anymore. Even the national news is full of people being outraged over some bullshit, rather than being full of, you know, news stories that matter. And while I'm ranting, what's with the verbal clickbait on national news now? "Next up, a child gets locked in a car; you won't believe what happens next!" Really, Lester? This is what gravitas looks like now?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Count me in your club, Chefguy. Except I don't listen to national or any other news, but the internet is just as bad. I guess the definition of "news" has slid down to join "literal" in the "doesn't mean that any more" heap.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
And while I'm ranting, what's with the verbal clickbait on national news now? "Next up, a child gets locked in a car; you won't believe what happens next!" Really, Lester? This is what gravitas looks like now?
February Sweeps is here.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-12-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I'm just sick to fucking death of everyone being outraged over every little goddamn thing that someone says or does anymore. Even the national news is full of people being outraged over some bullshit, rather than being full of, you know, news stories that matter. And while I'm ranting, what's with the verbal clickbait on national news now? "Next up, a child gets locked in a car; you won't believe what happens next!" Really, Lester? This is what gravitas looks like now?
:: s i g h ::

They've been doing this for years.

My favorite: "This common ingredient which you just may be serving your family for dinner tonight could be deadly. In-depth report tonight at 11:35."
Old 02-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe
Still not working. Today is payday (for a lot of folks) and all Wells Fargo shit ... is ... wonky. There's a stupid mea culpa posted on their website, something about smoke and maintenance blah blah. Whatever. I have direct deposit, and just got a low balance notification text. So I have pending money, I guess. Yay. That pays dem bills.
They had a full-on physical disaster - an HVAC unit failed and released all of its magic smoke, which triggered the fire suppression systems, which do two things in a datacenter: Dump hundreds of pounds of Halon or FM200 gas to extinguish/prevent a fire, and disconnect the electricity.

With all that unbreathable gas taking the place of air, it takes a few hours for the fire department to vent it safely and give the all-clear for humans to re-enter the building without SCBA gear and work on restarting everything.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
:: s i g h ::

They've been doing this for years.

My favorite: "This common ingredient which you just may be serving your family for dinner tonight could be deadly. In-depth report tonight at 11:35."
Used to be, the news was an hour and was investigatory in nature. Now it seems like all OMG! Look at this! He's standing IN WATER/SNOW/MUD/COWSHIT! And now yet another fucking soldier surprising his kid by hiding in a box/costume/up his own ass!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

People still use Wells Fargo? Hah! I've despised them ever since they "acquired" an outfit I'd used for decades. Then I requested a loan. Their refusal included this lovely tidbit: "You have not had an account with us for long." Uh, no, you morons. My account was decades old. The outfit I'm using now (for two decades now) is amazing and even tendered the loan. Heck, they called me up the very next day and said, "We're sorry, but our algorithm says we didn't lend you enough money; how about coming in for the excess. Today would be great." Wells Fargo's apparent definition of customer service is what others do and of customer satisfaction is Huh?.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Used to be, the news was an hour and was investigatory in nature. Now it seems like all OMG! Look at this! He's standing IN WATER/SNOW/MUD/COWSHIT! And now yet another fucking soldier surprising his kid by hiding in a box/costume/up his own ass!

As a military veteran, let me say this: I can't stand that nonsense! If time with the family is so important and communicating with the family is so important, stop doing that BS! Communicate with the family and spend more time with them. And don't make the child's special event all about you and/or the military. Not to mention that it takes away from the special event for the other children involved.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I quit fighting it. I just get up and do something. Even just reading awhile.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:24 PM

I on the other hand would like to stop feeling so run down and tired. I slept 11 hours last night, 9.5 the night before (and only that because I woke up to a last ditch "you need to get ready for work now" alarm).
Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

The local Dunkin' Donuts has an abysmal parking lot that was retrofitted with a drive-through lane years ago and always has the drive-through line backing up to the street.
This makes the left-turn off of a very busy street a little too exciting for my taste.

This morning I was on the main street waiting in the left-turn lane behind another car that was turning left. As soon as traffic cleared I saw that the drive-through line was short and there were no cars coming out of the parking lot--it was all clear. So, when she turned left I followed.

Then she stopped. In the entrance. She wanted to wait for someone a few dozen yards away to pull out of a parking spot. I was already committed to the turn and felt like an idiot as I watched oncoming traffic rapidly approaching the side of my car. I honked the horn, and eventually she parked and I was able to go in.

I'm on the fence with this one--she was in her rights to stop right in the entrance, but that's a pretty dangerous move to make for the cars that follow. I should have been super safe and made sure there was a full car-length of space open at the entrance before going, but there was no visible reason for her to stop. Ugh.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
"You have not had an account with us for long." Uh, no, you morons. My account was decades old.
After Wachovia was acquired by Week's Fargo, I received a new debit card and was surprised to find that it listed me as a customer since 1980. (I was born in 1982.) Wachovia had merged two online accounts after my father's death so that everything would show up under a single login; I suspect this is the root of the issue, since my parents first opened an account with Wachovia in 1980.

As for why I'm still with them... The app and the ATMs are nice.
I especially like having the option of not using a debit card to access the ATM. That's all. I'm still very annoyed at them for charging me a counter usage fee for having the audacity to enter a branch too many times in one month.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

FUCK!! My wife managed to lose her card wallet on the local train on Sunday. It contained:
Credit card (which was promptly used by someone; we've cancelled it)
Driver's license
Medicaid card
Military spouse ID card
Her annual metro pass
Several other cards
$25 in cash

We spent half of yesterday at the DMV, and called to get the CC, Med card and metro cards cancelled. I sent a message to the company they purchased the items from and asked for the shipping address of the asshole, but I'm not holding my breath. I hope they send it, as I plan on calling the cops on the fucker. It will be another half day to get the military ID replaced, as we have to drive up to Vancouver and it's a walk-in first-come type of place. The only good thing in all of this is that we have freezes on all three credit bureaus.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

The kids have been home from school for the third day running this week, after a day and a half last week, for snow days. It started out fun, but now it is a wet slushy mess and I have terrible cabin fever. Also, we have to reschedule the spelling bee I am organizing that was supposed to be tonight.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.