Old 02-03-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

The Cruelty is the Point

The Cruelty is the Point. This article from The Atlantic explains everything about the Trump administration. They specifically are trying to be cruel to the rest of us.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-point/572104/
Old 02-03-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
The Cruelty is the Point. This article from The Atlantic explains everything about the Trump administration. They specifically are trying to be cruel to the rest of us.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-point/572104/
The fucker gets OFF on it.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
The Cruelty is the Point.
But the waiting is the hardest part.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Trump would be a natural as a Pit poster.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:56 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Trump would be a natural as a Pit poster.
Target.

He couldn't insult his way out of the first grade. And I know some kindergartners who could give him a run for his imaginary money.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:07 PM

God that shit sack makes me feel ashamed. Fuck me in the goat ass if we don't vote him and his ilk out of office as soonest as can be.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Target.

He couldn't insult his way out of the first grade. And I know some kindergartners who could give him a run for his imaginary money.
He would get his ass kicked.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:07 PM

I have always seen Trump as the ends justify the means type of guy, but his followers are disgustingly gleeful of the suffering trump has caused, and those are Trump's base. So Trump doesn't care of the suffering he causes, but his base rejoices over it. It's a very scary combination.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I have always seen Trump as the ends justify the means type of guy, but his followers are disgustingly gleeful of the suffering trump has caused, and those are Trump's base. So Trump doesn't care of the suffering he causes, but his base rejoices over it. It's a very scary combination.

Tan the Conman does not care about the ends. All he cares about is what generates the most adulation for him now. He really is that simple-minded. Long-range planning is as foreign to him as decency. It takes a working human brain to plan long-term.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:24 PM

Sledgehammer to his junk.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
He enjoys it too. He gives people insulting names. He dangles job offers only to yank them away. He locks up babies and then blames THEM. He tries to cover up a brutal murder by the Saudis who help line his pockets. He hires workers and contractors and refuses to pay them, even though he already made stupid money off the projects, forcing them to go broke.

He reeks of cruelty. He enjoys it. He deliberately set up his "deals" to maximize the fallout.

Someone should have put him in the foundation concrete of one of his buildings long ago.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Sledgehammer to his junk.
Overkill. Use a tack hammer.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Not the fucker, but the fuckers - plural.

The people who voted for Trump like it when others suffer, because it makes them feel superior.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
He enjoys it too. He gives people insulting names. He dangles job offers only to yank them away. He locks up babies and then blames THEM. He tries to cover up a brutal murder by the Saudis who help line his pockets. He hires workers and contractors and refuses to pay them, even though he already made stupid money off the projects, forcing them to go broke.

He reeks of cruelty. He enjoys it. He deliberately set up his "deals" to maximize the fallout.

Someone should have put him in the foundation concrete of one of his buildings long ago.
Trump voters enjoy it. They love your pain, which is why we cannot just forgive and forget the next time around. Pain must be inflicted.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Trump voters enjoy it. They love your pain, which is why we cannot just forgive and forget the next time around. Pain must be inflicted.
You don't defeat them by turning into them. You defeat them by your leadership. Take the lead.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Two stupids don't make a smart.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
But Folger's in your cup?

That's the best part of waking up.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:35 AM

Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy.

Last edited by Try2B Comprehensive; 02-04-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:28 AM

My brother-in-law is one of those racist assholes supporting Trump.

America really isn’t the pretty country it pretends to be.

There are tens of millions of those fuckers and the only good the Trump presidency had done is to demonstrate how racist a large percentage of America is.

Fuck ‘um all.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:11 AM

This is what I've been trying to get across when I talk about how Trump is actually evil. And it is my problem with Trump supporters. Not those who voted for him, but supporters. They support the cruelty. Every person I knew who actively supported Trump supported his cruelty, as long as it was directed towards people they hate.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:04 AM

No, I got a problem with the voters, too. Anyone who pulled that lever wears the brand.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 AM

I posted this link in one of the other Trump threads but it fits here too:

“He’s not hurting the people he needs to be”: a Trump voter says the quiet part out loud

A Trump voter hurt by the shutdown reveals the real reason the president attracts hardcore supporters.

Quote:
Most Marianna residents support Trump’s border wall, his key demand in the shutdown fight, and don’t blame him for the fight. But Crystal Minton, a secretary at the prison who is also a single mother caring for disabled parents, had a somewhat different reaction — one that reveals an essential truth about the core Trump’s political appeal.

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” Minton told Mazzei. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.

Think about that line for a second. Roll it over in your head. In essence, Minton is declaring that one aim of the Trump administration is to hurt people — the right people. Making America great again, in her mind, involves inflicting pain.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
My brother-in-law is one of those racist assholes supporting Trump.

America really isn’t the pretty country it pretends to be.

There are tens of millions of those fuckers and the only good the Trump presidency had done is to demonstrate how racist a large percentage of America is.

Fuck ‘um all.

I've a sister-in-law who just post-shared on FB something about Nehemiah and a wall, obviously implying how Trump is God's chosen. She isn't racist; however, she is completely blind to Trump's racism.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Read the article. They forgot to include Trumps mocking of a disabled reporter. Seriously, Trump acts like a poorly behaving 6 year old.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 AM

Trump and his hardcore supporters are selfish, cruel, hateful assholes.

Who didn't know this already?
Old 02-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quoting Davis X. Machina:

Quote:
The salient fact of American politics is that there are fifty to seventy million voters each of whom will volunteer to live, with his family, in a cardboard box under an overpass, and cook sparrows on an old curtain rod, if someone would only guarantee that the black, gay, Hispanic, liberal, whatever, in the next box over doesn't even have a curtain rod, or a sparrow to put on it.
No cite; this has memed all over the Internet from its probable origins at Balloon Juice, and Davis himself repeats it now and then as appropriate on various blogs, if someone else hasn't quoted him first.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Friend of Cecil

Quote:
Dude, it’s just sooooo tedious. Most of us here enjoy not actually being in high school. No need to furnish posts which can only trigger flashbacks of the people we are glad never made it into anything resembling a real life so we never had to see them again.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which is how they see it too: we need our asshole to put the other side's assholes in their place.

People like you turn it into a war to see which side can be the more dominant asshole. Fuck that shit.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Two stupids don't make a smart.
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Two Wrights make an airplane.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Two Wrights make an airplane.
And 55 years later, an airplane crashes, and it's The Day The Music Died.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

To be fair, if Trump, his family and his cronies end up in prison I will celebrate and fully enjoy it. And if his white nationalist, anti democracy, anti rule of law base gets upset about the rule of law applying to Republicans I'll enjoy that too.

However his base will just become even more paranoid, cruel and anti democracy as a result of the rule of law applying to Republicans.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
To be fair, if Trump, his family and his cronies end up in prison I will celebrate and fully enjoy it.
The difference being, they will have committed actual crimes and stuff.
Quote:
And if his white nationalist, anti democracy, anti rule of law base gets upset about the rule of law applying to Republicans I'll enjoy that too.
The difference being, they're upset about the news, and how it's not going their way. It's not something that we libruls are doing to them, the way the wingnut mob sent Christine Blasey Ford into hiding.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
I posted this link in one of the other Trump threads but it fits here too:

“He’s not hurting the people he needs to be”: a Trump voter says the quiet part out loud

A Trump voter hurt by the shutdown reveals the real reason the president attracts hardcore supporters.
To hell with the "high road", to hell with bridging any gap, to hell with working with them, to hell with any consensus, to hell with THEM.

I'm ALL in favor of giving them all the pain they can stand.

We can START by getting rid of the subsidies that they get - subsidies paid for by the taxes of the "coastal" liberal states they hate. No more federal dollars to carry their states. No more dollars to pay them NOT to grow anything. No dollars for welfare when their plants close. Nothing.

Let them starve for all I care. They like Trump and his tariffs, lets give them MORE tariffs. And if they try "too big to fail" with their coal and automotive jobs, we tell them "No yer not." Sorry, your precious free market says "go to hell"

Let's see how self sufficient they REALLY are. Let's see how they do when the FREE money they claim to despise (when it's for someone else) is cut off.

In fact, they are so in love with Trump and Russia, why don't we kick their asses out, so they can go live in Russia - and NEVER come back.

Oh, and they want to force THEIR mutated brand of Jayzuz into politics and on us? NO MORE TAX BREAKS for religious shit.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Which is how they see it too: we need our asshole to put the other side's assholes in their place.

People like you turn it into a war to see which side can be the more dominant asshole. Fuck that shit.
This. They need to be put back under their rock.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcBDGieWkAAF59C.jpg
Old 02-04-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:

True... but I have a feeling that if you were to quiz them, they're going to tell you that they feel like the Democratic party is the party of everyone else- blacks, Mexicans, gays, rich liberals, etc... and explicitly not the party of middle and working class white people.

To some degree, the Democratic party's emphasis on non-white and poor identity politics has alienated this segment of the electorate, whether or not their perception of the party's political stance is actually true or not. A lot of this is based on state and local Democratic politician behavior, not necessarily Presidential candidates. Just speaking as a white guy in a large Texas city, if I didn't know better, I'd assume based on the candidates that the Democratic party is pretty much a minority party. And if someone interprets that as the Democratic party not looking out for their interests, you end up with a Trump voter.

So by extension, they rejoice when they see Trump and his ilk "sticking it to" the other people- they're perceiving that as looking out for their interests by doing the other party wrong.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM

You lost me at “ethnically cleanse”. Anti-immigrant policy has been going on for many decades. Under Obama it was at an 8 on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being most harmful. Trump dialed it up to 8.6, and now it just meets the threshold for ethnic cleansing. Please.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
You lost me at “ethnically cleanse”. Anti-immigrant policy has been going on for many decades.
This is about hatred of anyone who isn't white, immigrant or not. The Republicans are neo-Confederates and neo-Nazis who want to kill, drive out or enslave the entire non-white population.

Talk about immigration is just a handwave, they don't care if someone is an immigrant or not; they'll happily persecute someone who is an American citizen.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:13 PM

And have done.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
No cite; this has memed all over the Internet from its probable origins at Balloon Juice, and Davis himself repeats it now and then as appropriate on various blogs, if someone else hasn't quoted him first.
It's pretty much just a minor restatement of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon B. Johnson
I’ll tell you what’s at the bottom of it. If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
You lost me at “ethnically cleanse”. Anti-immigrant policy has been going on for many decades. Under Obama it was at an 8 on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being most harmful. Trump dialed it up to 8.6, and now it just meets the threshold for ethnic cleansing. Please.

pfffft.

I’d say he lost you when he implied that he believed the federal government could (and should) work for the benefit of all citizens.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 02-04-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Well I do my best to understand it,
But you still mystify and I want to know why
I pick myself up off the ground
To have you knock me back down again and again
And when I ask you to explain, you say...

You've gotta be cruel to be kind
Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
And 55 years later, an airplane crashes, and it's The Day The Music Died.
I'll never forgive the Wright brothers for killing Buddy Holly.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:05 PM

Cruelty is based on fear and weakness. The strong can afford empathy and kindness.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:

Do you have any idea how wrong this is, what a terrible idea to contemplate?? Bodies not only weaken a cement foundation from the get go, but their deterioration continues to do so in an unpredictable manner. What if that piece of shit building w/ a piece of shit in the foundation falls on a good person?
Old 02-05-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

pfffft.

I’d say he lost you when he implied that he believed the federal government could (and should) work for the benefit of all citizens.
It is not a theoretical impossibility, it just has never happened. Whether it should or not is schoolmarm nonsense.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 AM

20 years ago, I was one of these people. I grew up in a household filled with people who are currently avid Trump supporters, and had things gone slightly differently, I would have been one of them. I married a woman of color who grew up well below the poverty line, and over time (it was not an immediate change), I realized that everything I had believed was wrong. I know, from my own thought process at the time, that the cruelty was absolutely the point.

I think my main thought process was that since I had no real convictions about anything, that nobody did. When I heard about someone wanting to save the animals, or clothe the homeless or protect the environment, I didn't even consider the possibility that these were actual problems that actual people actually cared about. So, they were just pretending to care about these issues and they were vocal about it because they wanted to appear morally superior to me. And, by god, it was my job to knock them down a peg. It's why I would have supported Trump, and why I would have continued to support Trump regardless of what he did or what he was accused of; he pissed off the people who were pretending to be morally superior to me, and any of the stuff coming out about him is either unimportant stuff that those moralizers are, again, pretending to care about, or it's better than the alternative of having those morally superior folks get their way and have one of their own in office. The ends (putting those people in their place) justifies the means.

I'm thankful that I've evolved on this, but I probably can't run for office based on some of the awful shit that I said to people before I did!

(I unlurked for this post!)

Last edited by kflanaga; 02-05-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:55 AM

Kflqnaga, thank you for that insightful, eloquent, and vital post — seriously. Seeing people who (“pretend to”?) care about something as needing to be brought down a peg — fascinating.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Kflqnaga, thank you for that insightful, eloquent, and vital post — seriously. Seeing people who (“pretend to”?) care about something as needing to be brought down a peg — fascinating.
I know where he's coming from - growing up in a solidly middle class home and neighborhood where everyone's grandparents were blue collar, this sort of attitude was not uncommon.

Basically the prevailing attitude was that you should keep your eyes on providing for you and yours; people who got wound up about saving the whales, or other "frivolous" stuff were viewed as suspect, not entirely within the real world, and dingy. And if they got to moralizing about it, especially politicians, they were viewed as either pretenders or absurd, and as such, deserving of scorn and hostility, as they didn't have their focus on "more important things".
Old 02-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
True... but I have a feeling that if you were to quiz them, they're going to tell you that they feel like the Democratic party is the party of everyone else- blacks, Mexicans, gays, rich liberals, etc... and explicitly not the party of middle and working class white people.

To some degree, the Democratic party's emphasis on non-white and poor identity politics has alienated this segment of the electorate, whether or not their perception of the party's political stance is actually true or not. A lot of this is based on state and local Democratic politician behavior, not necessarily Presidential candidates. Just speaking as a white guy in a large Texas city, if I didn't know better, I'd assume based on the candidates that the Democratic party is pretty much a minority party. And if someone interprets that as the Democratic party not looking out for their interests, you end up with a Trump voter.

So by extension, they rejoice when they see Trump and his ilk "sticking it to" the other people- they're perceiving that as looking out for their interests by doing the other party wrong.
The reason that the democrats seem to be the party of minorities is only in the stark contrast to the republicans who are the party against minorities. So, yeah, the minorities are going to be more represented in the party that accepts and welcomes them rather than the party that hates and vilifies them.

You do see the democrats standing up for minorities, but that is because the republicans are attacking them. It is not the democrats obsessed with minorities, it is the republicans that are obsessed with harming them.

If you see someone beating up your friend, and you make that person stop, does it make any sense for your other friend that is not being beaten up to be jealous that you aren't looking out for his interests?

What I hear in this complaint that I do hear over and over and over from those who support racists out of their own short sighted selfishness is:"While you were preventing Steve from getting the shit beat out of him, who the hell was scratching my back? I'm gonna be friends with the guy that beat up Steve, because, even though I don't like that he beats up Steve, he promised me a back scratch."

*Sorry Steve.