Old 09-20-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Now see, this is a valuable, critically thought out post that deserves an honest, equally thoughtful response. And surprise! I actually agree with the bulk of what you're saying here. But the board mentality/behavior you outline here is not confined to situations which present racial anxiety or discomfort to the board. I have experienced the same thing myself at times over my years here when I've discussed disability-related subjects.

The strategies at marginalizing the messenger in order to discount the message are not unique to subjects involving racism. They are used whenever an uncomfortable thus unpopular issue is voiced and the majority doesn't want to confront the issue head-on by being introspective and acknowledging the possibility of their own complicity in the raised issue.

Of course I'm not suggesting that most posters here are racists and ableists. But i am saying that it is quite difficult to overcome the ingrained in-group fueled "bubble" that this board is ensconced in. Even when approaching the conversation in a decidely non-confrontational manner. So when your valid arguments are camouflaged by an arsenal of intentionally provocative and offensive tactics, you do the work of marginalizing yourself as the messenger for them! Trust me, I've been there! Give an inch and a mile will be taken.

It shouldn't have to be like this but that's the psychology of humans who congregate together with others similar to themselves and get confronted by an outsider criticizing them. So I learned, at least, that I needed to address my own M.O. if I really wanted to be able to effectively communicate to as many people as were open to such communication (however small or large that group may be). I needed to check my emotions at the door.

None of this is to say I dont have deep sympathy for your complaints. But venting and communicating are often at odds with each other. Which are you interested in engaging in? Honestly, I think I have that figured out and you go and post something like this. It seems like such a waste! It's like pissing in the wind. If you are interested in communicating then stick to communication. Likewise, if you want to vent, stick to venting. Doing both together only confuses things and sacrifices the effectiveness of either.

And I can already predict how my post will be regarded by a certain faction here. "Tone-policing!!" "Condescension!!" "Lecturing!" "Focusing on the poster not the post!" None of that would be true tho. Im just recognizing a pattern that ive seen before and sharing my take and response to it.
Yeah, a large majority of the most vocal posters aren't actually intellectually honest around here. It's actually sad.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Now see, this is a valuable, critically thought out post that deserves an honest, equally thoughtful response. ...
Okay, now I get the "articulate" thing.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Can we just go back to hating white people?
That depends -- are they from Philadelphia?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM

A sheriff was caught on tape making racist remarks.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...ign/ar-AAApBrr

Quote:
“At this time I would like to offer my sincere apology to the people of Bergen County for the insensitive recorded remarks that were made public today,” he said in a statement. “These remarks are not representative of the person that I am, and they are in no way consistent with the manner in which I have conducted my life personally and as a law enforcement professional."
"I am truly very sorry I got caught. You guys weren't supposed to hear this."

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 09-21-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
Okay, now I get the "articulate" thing.
I'm sorry? But are you suggesting that I was making some sort of racially tinged comment?
Old 09-21-2018, 11:45 AM

God, no.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post

Maybe he was on Ambien?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post

That's exactly it. Racism isnt any less alive and virulent today than it was in the days of Jim Crow, it's just more carefully expressed, shared only in the comforting company of like-minded people (or only when thought to be in such company). To me, it's more insidious and potentially destructive now, since its not out in the open for the world to see.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
That's exactly it. Racism isnt any less alive and virulent today than it was in the days of Jim Crow....
I am not much for wading into the BBQ pit....but really?

You think racism is just as alive as it was in the days of Jim Crow? I would say hyperbole is not conductive to rational discussions.

I am not saying there are no racist in the US. There are. Tens of millions of them. But to compare that to the days of Jim Crow is disingenuous.

Last edited by Hermitian; 09-21-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I am not much for wading into the BBQ pit....but really?

You think racism is just as alive as it was in the days of Jim Crow? I would say hyperbole is not conductive to rational discussions.

I am not saying there are no racist in the US. There are. Tens of millions of them. But to compare that to the days of Jim Crow is disingenuous.
I didnt mean to suggest that it was as violent or as outwardly expressed as a part of society as it was in Jim Crow era. Progress has been made. But I don't believe it's been as monumental as many would like to believe. The racism that was worn on the sleeves of racists became racism worn as the necklace tucked under the shirt of the racists. I did overextend myself a bit with my original remark. I was trying to compare aspects of both states of racism as being comparable, not the entire states themselves. And yes, I do think racism is as alive today as it was in the Jim Crow era. It has simply evolved with a changing culture, along with everything else. Segregation, for example, still alive, it is just cloaked in plausible deniability today.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:47 PM

...white judge man-handles black woman into court, denies man-handling her. Jails her for five days, black judge later tosses the contempt charge and releases her from jail. White judge resigns.

https://thegrio.com/2018/09/14/judge...ound-the-neck/
Old 09-24-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...white judge man-handles black woman into court, denies man-handling her. Jails her for five days, black judge later tosses the contempt charge and releases her from jail. White judge resigns.

https://thegrio.com/2018/09/14/judge...ound-the-neck/
Good news, I guess?

I've seen people fired for less. You don't put your hands on people. You just don't do that.

And when, exactly did she try to run down a side hall?

On top of all that, she still has to worry about whoever it was coming after her.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:55 PM

Police called on modest woman

Too revealing for the tennis court, not revealing enough for the pool - this is definitely about control, not safety.

These suits are not new, so I don't believe the staff thought she was wearing street clothes.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:40 PM

This is where we're at in America, now.This man saw a baby crawling in the street and felt that he needed to document the scene before approaching the child. Because he's a big black man and was concerned about his safety and how the situation might look to other people.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:45 PM

I thought it sad that he felt the need to document the situation first, but unbelievable that people started condemning him for it.

That being said, IME cops always ask for identification, so that might not be anything.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Babysitting while black

White woman calls 911 when she sees a black man with two white children.

Quote:
ďHi there, Iím in the Walmart parking lot at Barrett Parkway and I just got my nails done and I see this black gentleman with these two little white kids and so I just had a funny feeling,Ē the woman said, in a recording released by Cobb County
Turns out he was babysitting the children.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Babysitting while black

I'm sure we've all heard of similar instances when it's a parent or relative who doesn't look exactly like the kid.

I know a couple, both Mexican. She's short and morena. He's tall and rubio. The kids' got dad's hair and skin. So that short brown lady taking care of them? Must be the nanny. Not as bad as the cops showing up but still
Old 10-13-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
I'm sure we've all heard of similar instances when it's a parent or relative who doesn't look exactly like the kid.

I know a couple, both Mexican. She's short and morena. He's tall and rubio. The kids' got dad's hair and skin. So that short brown lady taking care of them? Must be the nanny. Not as bad as the cops showing up but still
Yeah, a friend of mine is Puerto Rican but much darker than his wife, who's Mexican. He's had issues when schlepping the kids around, as they're her complexion, and he was really pissed when he was doing the "hold my purse" thing while she was shopping and some lady thought he'd snatched it from someone and threatened to call the cops.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Woman calls police on black boy she falsely accused of groping her

For those who can't access the article, a woman was standing in line at a deli. She accused the little boy standing behind her of groping her butt. The kid's mother yelled at her when she confronted him. The butthurt lady calls the cops, accusing the boy of sexually assaulting her. The video of her making the phone call made its way to The New York Post.

Fortunately, the deli had surveillance footage that showed what happened. The boy's bookbag had simply grazed against the woman's backside.

Even though she has apologized, she is trying to make it sound like the boy's mother is at fault for everything since the mother committed the heinous act of yelling at her sensitive ass. If someone accused my nine-year-old kid of sexual assault, I'd be yelling too. I think most people would.

Look at the video if you have a chance. See how the kid bursts in sobs as all of this is going down. And yet, that bitch is so determined to flex her power and privilege that she blinds herself to the pain she's causing. Seeing that little boy cry like that would have made any decent person have second thoughts.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:12 PM

The kid's backpack brushed her butt. It couldn't possibly felt as though someone grabbed her butt. Idiot woman.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Babysitting while black

That feeling you have? That's called racism. And it's not funny.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:56 PM

...white people loot a store in the aftermath of the recent hurricane. The NYT calls it salvaging.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:25 PM

Woman interrogates and then tries to prevent a man from entering his own apartment.

After all of these embarrassing viral videos, one would assume people would start thinking twice before acting on their prejudiced impulses, especially when they know they are being fucking recorded. I seriously don’t understand how idiots like this are capable of functioning, I really don’t.

Last edited by you with the face; 10-14-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliana View Post
The kid's backpack brushed her butt. It couldn't possibly felt as though someone grabbed her butt. Idiot woman.
Yes, indeed! If you think someone groped you, by all means keep quite about it!

Isn't that what we're doing these days? Let's revisit the issue in 2053.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Yes, indeed! If you think someone groped you, by all means keep quite about it!

Isn't that what we're doing these days? Let's revisit the issue in 2053.

You're kinda stupid.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
Woman interrogates and then tries to prevent a man from entering his own apartment.

After all of these embarrassing viral videos, one would assume people would start thinking twice before acting on their prejudiced impulses, especially when they know they are being fucking recorded. I seriously donít understand how idiots like this are capable of functioning, I really donít.
I just came across the same story at the New York Times.

Have incidents like this gone up, or are they just being reported more often?

Often it feels like the Presidency of Trump, Hater-in-Chief, has motivated swarms of racists to come out of their ratholes and hate openly, proud that one of their fellow haters now rules the Land.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:01 PM

That's the whole point of this thread. That much to white America's surprise incidents like these are very real, ubiquitous, and have always been happening. Blame it on Trump if that makes you feel better. But it is business as usual for many in America.

mc
Old 10-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:

After all of these embarrassing viral videos, one would assume people would start thinking twice before acting on their prejudiced impulses, especially when they know they are being fucking recorded. I seriously don’t understand how idiots like this are capable of functioning, I really don’t.
She has now been fired from her job.

How is she going to claim she felt uncomfortable by this guy's presence while literally stalking him all the way to his apartment? And how can she claim she did not know whether he belonged in the building when she saw with her own eyes that he possessed the key to get into his apartment? None of this makes sense. She should be fired for being so stupid.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I just came across the same story at the New York Times.

Have incidents like this gone up...?
Nope. This same thing happened to me 20 years ago when I had the nerve to stay in an upscale building. Only thing new is the technology.

Last edited by planetcory; 10-15-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
She has now been fired from her job.

How is she going to claim she felt uncomfortable by this guy's presence while literally stalking him all the way to his apartment? And how can she claim she did not know whether he belonged in the building when she saw with her own eyes that he possessed the key to get into his apartment? None of this makes sense. She should be fired for being so stupid.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
And did she ask herself how likely it is a prowler would care enough to film the encounter with his camera phone? When he started recording, that shouldíve been her cue that maybe, just maybe, dude had more on his mind than breaking and entering.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Vermont's only black woman in the legislature has been hounded from her job by racists.

This is heartbreaking.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:27 PM

Golfcart Gail sics the police on a black father
Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Get Off the Bus.
Racist voter intimidation with an extra helping of dickishness: Forty black senior citizens in Georgia (where else, right?) are ordered off the bus when going to vote.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:03 PM

White woman calls police on a line of black people who stopped a a gas station in the middle of a peaceful protest march to buy drinks
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gas-...201315580.html
Old 10-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

After all of these embarrassing viral videos, one would assume people would start thinking twice before acting on their prejudiced impulses, especially when they know they are being fucking recorded. I seriously donít understand how idiots like this are capable of functioning, I really donít.
My only melanin is in about a quarter million freckles, so I dunno--but I wonder, maybe the number of these incidents IS going down?

I figure that there have to be some white folks who'd be thrilled to badger black people, but now that these videos are happening, they're shamed out of doing so. Maybe before this phenomenon of filming the racist assholes, the numbers were far higher than they were today.

I don't recall seeing incidents like this, but like I said, as neither a perpetrator nor a target of such harassment, I wouldn't know. I'm assuming the perpetrators aren't gonna admit it here; but targets of harassment, do you have a sense that these videos are making harassment any rarer?
Old 10-28-2018, 02:15 PM

White woman faces charges after harassing her black neighbors, telling them to leave
Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I know this is clickbait but it is so infuriating.

https://newsd.co/unfolded-inside-tac...content=1&sp=2

Here's the story: a solider goes into a Taco Bell. A nine year old and a 13 year old ask him if he wants to support a church bake sale. Soldier instead buys the kids some tacos. That's it.

Put that in the hands of the Internet, and you get "(White) Army hero saves the futures of two hooded thugs."

Give me a fucking break.

Last edited by Ravenman; 10-30-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Get Off the Bus.
Racist voter intimidation with an extra helping of dickishness: Forty black senior citizens in Georgia (where else, right?) are ordered off the bus when going to vote.
Holy shit! That's just evil.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post

Here's the story: a solider goes into a Taco Bell. A nine year old and a 13 year old ask him if he wants to support a church bake sale. Soldier instead buys the kids some tacos. That's it.

Put that in the hands of the Internet, and you get "(White) Army hero saves the futures of two hooded thugs."

Give me a fucking break.
Glurge is bad enough, but multi-page slideshow glurge should be a capital offense.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post

Give me a fucking break.
Also, infuriating is the poor grammar:

Quote:
They knew if it is anything dangerous than theyíve to take an action but their inner common man wasnít really in a mood of it.
Huh?

Some of the presumptions:

Quote:
Taco Bell is the favorite of every other person across the U.S. and hence their restaurants are always full of customers from their opening time until its time to close the restaurant.
Wait, what?

And the picture on this page just creeps me out.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:08 PM

I got the impression that if those two highly trained american heroes, with catlike reflexes and eagle eyes, had taken out the invading intruders with 4 shots to the head the moment they opened the door, it would have been justifiable self defense.

Also, If the Taco Bell was creepily deserted who was it who took the cell phone video.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
And they call Joe Biden weird.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM

A security guard's uniform is no protection:

Police Fatally Shoot Black Security Guard Who Detained Shooting Suspect

One bystander's observation: "Everybody was screaming out 'Security!' " Harris told WGN. "And they still did their job, and saw a black man with a gun, and basically killed him."
Old 11-13-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
A security guard's uniform is no protection:

Police Fatally Shoot Black Security Guard Who Detained Shooting Suspect

One bystander's observation: "Everybody was screaming out 'Security!' " Harris told WGN. "And they still did their job, and saw a black man with a gun, and basically killed him."
And there will be no accountability.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It is being investigated by the county sheriff and city police departments. No problem there! Cook County is famous for its justice for black people.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
C'mon man. It was a black man, with a gun.

That's more accountable than they usually are. They often shoot the black man because they think that he might have a gun, or because he told them that he is a gun owner, or because his cell phone kinda sorta under the right lighting looks like a gun, or he was carrying a BB gun around in a store that sells BB guns.

This guy actually had a gun, and even had it out, in his hand, and pointed at someone. Now, the cop could have taken some time to suss out the situation before cavalierly ending someone's life, he could have listened to the crowd, all shouting instructions at him* not to kill this man.

But, there was a black guy, with a gun, and so the cop was in fear for his life. Case closed.

*Speaking of which, does this not demonstrate that shouting instructions in a high tension situation is not the most useful thing to do. If even a cop cannot manage to keep himself calm enough to listen to the people shouting instructions at him, how is it that the cops are expecting a civilian without training or awareness that he is about to be thrust into a life and death situation to do what they themselves are demonstrably incapable of doing?