Old 05-24-2019, 10:08 PM

What is so great about a Mercedes?

Obviously I'm not a car guy, but to me and probably to most people, if you took the labels off of a Mercedes and put Ford Tempo emblems on it, I doubt that 98% of people would notice the difference.

Other than the status, what objective features make the car so desirable?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:12 PM

I dare you to just sit in a Mercedes, any Mercedes, then sit in a Ford tempo and then come back here and say you cant tell the difference.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:04 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
I dare you to just sit in a Mercedes, any Mercedes, then sit in a Ford tempo and then come back here and say you cant tell the difference.
You can probably say that about any luxury car. What makes a mercedes better than a BMW, Lexus, Lincoln, Acura, audi, etc?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
You can probably say that about any luxury car. What makes a mercedes better than a BMW, Lexus, Lincoln, Acura, audi, etc?
If you care about cars at all, the answer is that it depends on the models you're comparing. But maybe more than that, it's down to preference.

Why is my AMG better than a comparable BMW M? More raw grunt and satisfaction of the shove in the seat. The M handles corners better. I'd track an M sooner than my AMG. An Audi S/RS with legendary quattro AWD are particularly great in the wet and snow. I find the Audi handling a bit less direct but I would not say bad by any stretch of the imagination. But as a daily driver, I like the feel of the MB best. It's the seat of the pants feeling. I guess I have a Mercedes ass.

I can make the argument that Cadillac, Lincoln, Acura and Lexus are an entirely different category of cars.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 05-25-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:17 PM

Yeah I had a 1987 Ford Tempo, definitely not the car you want to use as your go-to example for comparison to Mercedes.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:45 PM

Sorry if I misstated. I have never seen the inside of one, but I am talking about its exterior appearance.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Sorry if I misstated. I have never seen the inside of one, but I am talking about its exterior appearance.
You could look at Google images of the two and play "find the difference"

And sitting inside inside isn't just for seeing, but also for feeling. Same with driving.

But this whole post oozes of "I refuse to even attempt to care or pay attention so you are all stupid" attitude. I can't and won't try and convince you the differences are worth the money, but the differences are painfully obvious to anyone genuinely curious enough to wonder.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:52 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Why on Earth would anyone who cared about cars be concerned about exterior appearance vs. performance? This question makes absolutely no sense.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Obviously I'm not a car guy, but to me and probably to most people, if you took the labels off of a Mercedes and put Ford Tempo emblems on it, I doubt that 98% of people would notice the difference.

Quote:
I don't understand. "a Mercedes"? What Mercedes? Any Mercedes? You aren't seriously suggesting that "most people" wouldn't notice the difference in the exterior appearance of a Ford Tempo and an SLK 320, or a GLK 350 are you?
Old 05-25-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
If this is your criteria then there is little difference (at a quick glance) between a Chrysler 300 and a Bentley. If you are driving or riding in one I would be shocked if you couldn't tell the difference.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:55 PM

I've come to the unavoidable and incomprehensible (to me) realization that there are some people who simply don't care about cars and could not tell a Buick from a Bentley if it parked on top of them.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I've come to the unavoidable and incomprehensible (to me) realization that there are some people who simply don't care about cars and could not tell a Buick from a Bentley if it parked on top of them.
I could tell, but I probably wouldn’t care until my lawyer starting tossing around figures for my lawsuit
Old 05-26-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
To be fair, it's hard to recognize cars from their undersides...
Old 05-24-2019, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Granted, my experiences with Mercedes are mostly limited to G-Wagens and I actually owned a 1981 W123 at one point and all I thought was, well, these are nice German cars, but they didn't seem like anything particularly special to me. I remember about 15 years ago, when I was in the market for a used car, the salesman really trying to sell some Mercedes Kompressor (don't remember exactly which model) to me. I test drove it. It was okay. But then he showed me a Mazda 3, and I fell in love with that car (and that's what I drive to this day--bought one from that dealer, but another one a few years ago to replace it, too).

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-24-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Granted, my experiences with Mercedes are mostly limited to G-Wagens and I actually owned a 1981 W123 at one point and all I thought was, well, these are nice German cars, but they didn't seem like anything particularly special to me. I remember about 15 years ago, when I was in the market for a used car, the salesman really trying to sell some Mercedes Kompressor (don't remember exactly which model) to me. I test drove it. It was okay. But then he showed me a Mazda 3, and I fell in love with that car (and that's what I drive to this day--bought one from that dealer, but another one a few years ago to replace it, too).
Yup, g-wagons look just like a Tempo. Who can tell?
Old 05-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yup, g-wagons look just like a Tempo. Who can tell?
WAGEN. G-WAGEN!!!

No, they're a nice, utilitarian vehicle. Comparison to a Tempo leaves a bit to be desired, but I don't think of Mercedes quite as the luxury mark everyone else does. They have some luxury vehicles; they have some normal day-to-day vehicles. And they're bloody expensive to fix, from what I've discovered. They're probably most closely analagous to Lincoln here. So, yeah, I guess luxury brand, but I somehow don't always feel that way with Mercedes cars (nor Lincolns.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-24-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
WAGEN. G-WAGEN!!!
Autoincorrection. I feel your frustration.

And ultraV was talking about exterior appearance. And who wouldn't confuse one with a tempo?

Last edited by snfaulkner; 05-24-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Autoincorrection. I feel your frustration.

And ultraV was talking about exterior appearance. And who wouldn't confuse one with a tempo?
Ah, yes. Indeed. No, they're certainly not mistakable in that way. I remember back in the 80s, somebody with a sense of humor had his Yugo (remember Yugos kids?) decorated with Mercedes logos (and I'm not making this up for the sake of this OP--this was literally a guy a block up the street from me.) It was pretty obvious.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
WAGEN. G-WAGEN!!!

No, they're a nice, utilitarian vehicle. Comparison to a Tempo leaves a bit to be desired, but I don't think of Mercedes quite as the luxury mark everyone else does. They have some luxury vehicles; they have some normal day-to-day vehicles. And they're bloody expensive to fix, from what I've discovered. They're probably most closely analagous to Lincoln here. So, yeah, I guess luxury brand, but I somehow don't always feel that way with Mercedes cars (nor Lincolns.)
I once had a meeting at a factory and the Production Manager (who couldn't have looked more like a farmer if he'd tried*) proudly proclaimed that he had the biggest Mercedes in the factory. My coworkers gaggled and goggled; I asked "truck or Vito?"
Vito It's an extremely popular van.

* He was, btw.

Note that in countries where Mercedes are more common than in the US, they're a lot cheaper and faster to fix. Bring a Lincoln to Europe, and any time that thing gets a wart you need to import a dermatologist from the US.

In Germany, most if not all taxis are Mercedes. At one time, the team I was part of undertook asking several drivers about it: not only are they viewed as durable, reliable cars but also many of their drivers love detailing them. Every driver we asked proudly showed off these little boxes with special brushes and oils that you were supposed to use with the different woods and lovingly explained the maintenance they did on the car.

I've got the hypothesis that one of the reasons Mercedes-Benz decided to rebirth the Daimler brand and icon for their Smart line is precisely that: Smarts don't have woods, they're targeted to women and in general we'd rather do our nails or dust our house than detail a bunch of different wood bits in our car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

*raises hand* I know, I know! Unlike Beemers and A4s, you do not need to fail an IQ test before you're allowed to drive off with one.

Last edited by Nava; 05-26-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
*raises hand* I know, I know! Unlike Beemers and A4s, you do not need to fail an IQ test before you're allowed to drive off with one.
Which is where the thread was headed all along. There are people that like cars, and there's the vast majority that simply want to avoid walking, and so Camrys and Accords sell vastly more for the same reasons McDonalds is worldwide. And then comes the counter-elitism that says people that pay more, who buy vinyl rather than download music or Starbucks instead of Dunkin Donuts coffee and on and on, are idiots.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
In Germany, most if not all taxis are Mercedes. At one time, the team I was part of undertook asking several drivers about it: not only are they viewed as durable, reliable cars but also many of their drivers love detailing them. Every driver we asked proudly showed off these little boxes with special brushes and oils that you were supposed to use with the different woods and lovingly explained the maintenance they did on the car.

I've got the hypothesis that one of the reasons Mercedes-Benz decided to rebirth the Daimler brand and icon for their Smart line is precisely that: Smarts don't have woods, they're targeted to women and in general we'd rather do our nails or dust our house than detail a bunch of different wood bits in our car.
Yeah, in Germany, the Mercedes brand is like Chevy in the US. Every taxi I saw in the 90s was usually a Mercedes 190E. I owned a 70s vintage 240D when I first got there. What a piece of shit that old thing was. It always seemed to me that Mercedes had a problem with their paint coatings. The things seemed to have rust issues.

I drove both a BMW 325i and an Audi on a couple of business trips. They could certainly fly down the autobahns, and handled very well. I like cars, but I'm not willing to pay the US prices for any of them.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The G-class is a weird one because it's built utilitarian and then given a facelift before selling to consumers. It's a veneer of luxury, and a good match for the, in my experience, lawyers and slumlords who drive them.

My dad drove a late 80s S-class for years, and that car was lovely. The interior felt incredibly solid and sturdy, with excellent textures of real wood and real leather everywhere. Even the plastics had an interesting matte surface texture that really set it apart. At the time, it was leaps and bounds above any other car I rode in in terms of "luxuriousness."

But other cars have gotten a lot better and I'm under the impression that Mercedes has gotten less distinctive. I've been told that recent BMWs have a bit more of the feel of an older Mercedes, but they don't really strike me that way.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
The G-class is a weird one because it's built utilitarian and then given a facelift before selling to consumers. It's a veneer of luxury, and a good match for the, in my experience, lawyers and slumlords who drive them.
Oh, yeah. The kind of G-Wagens I've ridden in (okay, it was only two of them) were nothing to do with luxury. They looked like military vehicles (so much so, that we actually were waved on at the border in either Romania or Bulgaria with the border agents thinking we were KFOR [Kosovo Force]). Not a single creature comfort in those particular ones, but it looked like it was built to survive combat, so I'll give it that.) Actually, here's a picture of one of them that my friend owned and we had many an adventure in. Between that and owning an old 1979 Mercedes 240D W123 (which I'm sure was probably quite nice at the time), I guess that's why I don't necessarily consider think they're only luxury cars.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 PM

I imagine the Mercedes is of significantly higher quality in the engine, components and also the feel and handling of it.

(I technically own a Mercedes, but I'd never actually brag about my 2009 Smart Car seriously that way)
Old 05-24-2019, 11:23 PM

I dunno but I drive a Ferrari and I can tell the difference between that and my Corvette.

If you aren't a car guy then why does it even matter?
Old 05-25-2019, 12:56 AM

What is so great about a Mercedes?

Kugelfischer Injection, My Son.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Currently, the objective difference is in performance, quality of materials and features. The same way high-end models got ABS and airbags first, luxury models have active cruise control, lane departure, self-parking, and collision avoidance - long before they'll trickle down to a Ford Focus or whatever.

Previously, you got all that and rock solid over-engineering. There's an old Fifth Gear were they drown a 90s Mercedes, then drain the water out, change the oil and try to start it - it worked. Of course, Daimler worked out that someone whose 500E will never die won't buy a new car every four years.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Older Dopers may remember Ford's ad campaign from back in the late 70s or early 80s when "real people not actors" apparently couldn't tell the difference between a Mercedes and a Ford Granada.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:58 AM

One thing that I notice about mercedes is that independent mechanics, that is anyone outside a Mercedes dealer, won't work on them. They require too many specialized tools.

Outside that, they seem like great cars. Not worth it to me, but obviously worth it to lots of people.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroome View Post
One thing that I notice about mercedes is that independent mechanics, that is anyone outside a Mercedes dealer, won't work on them. They require too many specialized tools.
That is just not true. There are many independent mechanics who specialize in German cars, including Mercedes.

I will attest to the expense of parts though. I have an (older) Audi Q7 and the battery finally gave up last winter. It looks nothing like your standard car battery, and of course it is housed under the driver's seat (makes perfect sense, right?). It was around $400 or so to replace... and yes, CarX could do it (my friend is the manager of the local one).

But to the OP, as others have said the difference in a Mercedes and a "regular" car is not the body but the mechanics.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:

MB are wonderful automobiles for many reasons that are obviously not important to you. We have two. Both are a joy to drive. More so, IME, than some other great cars I've owned or driven. But then I care about such things.

Quote:

Outside that, they seem like great cars. Not worth it to me, but obviously worth it to lots of people.
Several independent MB shops in my area. I have mine serviced either at the dealer or at the MB independent specialist, depending on my mood, job and/or quoted price. I like the dealership because I get a free MB loaner. I like the independent because they'll put on upgraded aftermarket bushings and modify my exhaust to remove the resonators.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 05-25-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Older Dopers may remember Ford's ad campaign from back in the late 70s or early 80s when "real people not actors" apparently couldn't tell the difference between a Mercedes and a Ford Granada.
I remember that. The ads were unintentionally hilarious. Mercedes has long had a flair for aesthetic design, while the Granada looked somewhat like a horse's butthole. It was basically a really ugly car with a sort of vaguely Mercedes-like grill incongruously bolted on the front of it, while the actual Mercedes -- while obviously dated by today's standards and not nearly as elegant as they later became -- had fine classic lines. Some of the new ones today are practically works of art, IMHO, and I don't say that just because they're expensive. BMW doesn't have that same aesthetic, and some Rolls Royce and Bentley models today can be fairly described as verging on ugly.
Quote:

I was at a run-of-the-mill auto repair franchise shop on Friday getting some fairly simple repairs done. There was quite a high-end Mercedes SUV in there, so that couldn't be generally true.

But Mercedes, like most high-performance cars, are temperamental and need expensive regular maintenance.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I remember that. The ads were unintentionally hilarious. Mercedes has long had a flair for aesthetic design, while the Granada looked somewhat like a horse's butthole. It was basically a really ugly car with a sort of vaguely Mercedes-like grill incongruously bolted on the front of it, while the actual Mercedes -- while obviously dated by today's standards and not nearly as elegant as they later became -- had fine classic lines.
I found this two-door Granada from 1978, very well maintained by the looks of it. Not gonna lie, I would drive the shit out of that thing, especially if I could get it with a manual transmission and a V8. It looks like a miniature version of a sixth generation Thunderbird. It does NOT look like a Mercedes. But I still think it looks cool.

The four-door version does leave something to be desired, and it DOES look like a cheap knockoff of a Mercedes.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I found this two-door Granada from 1978, very well maintained by the looks of it. Not gonna lie, I would drive the shit out of that thing, especially if I could get it with a manual transmission and a V8. It looks like a miniature version of a sixth generation Thunderbird. It does NOT look like a Mercedes. But I still think it looks cool.

The four-door version does leave something to be desired, and it DOES look like a cheap knockoff of a Mercedes.
Here's an actual 1978 Mercedes to compare them with.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post

Back when he worked for an oil company in the 70s, my dad used to be given Ford Granadas as company cars. And he hated them deeply. Was much happier when his company went to Chevy Malibus.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

She was magnificent in The Fisher King.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I've head Mercedes rentals in South Africa and in Germany a few times, where they're pretty much run-of-the-mill rental car stock. Obviously this is post-Tempo era, but honestly, there's nothing all that special about them. Is this because these are rental stock? Or because they're not the US luxury market? Yeah, maybe, but in these markets they're pretty much at the same level as, say, a Mondeo.

Most of these were in the Daimler era, and the interiors always seems pretty Chrysler-inspired. I don't mean that as flattering.

I'd be very interested in comparing my 2019 Expedition Limited with a standard 2019 US Mercedes of any sort, really, just in the interest of comparing them. Well, of all sorts; I have to assume that there are significant differences between models and levels.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I've head Mercedes rentals in South Africa and in Germany a few times, where they're pretty much run-of-the-mill rental car stock. Obviously this is post-Tempo era, but honestly, there's nothing all that special about them. Is this because these are rental stock? Or because they're not the US luxury market? Yeah, maybe, but in these markets they're pretty much at the same level as, say, a Mondeo.
Funny you say this. During a recent trip to the UK, I rented a brand new MB C-class coupe. It had the big diesel engine and the AMG sport package. Not incredibly fast off the line but fast enough, and a wonderfully handling car on the highway and down the single track roads in the country. I really loved it. A few months later, while visiting Maine, I rented a midsize and got a Ford Fusion Titanium trim. It started and drove. Not even close in comparison to the C-class.

Quote:
Most of these were in the Daimler era, and the interiors always seems pretty Chrysler-inspired. I don't mean that as flattering.
We shall not speak of those days.

Quote:
I'd be very interested in comparing my 2019 Expedition Limited with a standard 2019 US Mercedes of any sort, really, just in the interest of comparing them. Well, of all sorts; I have to assume that there are significant differences between models and levels.
You'd have to compare it to the MB GLS. I suspect the differences would be quite dramatic in favor of the MB.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:14 AM

You're going to absolutely notice the difference between an S-class Mercedes and a Ford Tempo...and even "lesser" Mercedes.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 PM

I'm not a "car guy", but my dad was, so I've ride in (or drove) a few decent cars in my time.

The biggest thing about a Mercedes, as opposed to a cheaper car, is the "feel" when you drive it. The car feels heavy, like it's hugging the road. But it's also powerful and responsive, so there's no sense that the heavy car is struggling to move.

So, performance is the biggest difference. A person who tries to judge a car by merely looking at it won't get that.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:03 PM

A Mercedes will typically have more features related to comfort, such as nicer seats, soundproofing, adaptive climate control, auto-adjust of cabin elements per driver, etc. It will also have an engine and chassis which delivers more performance, has better handling, and is better at stopping. On the downside, all of those features mean there's a lot more stuff to break and to repair. The cars can also be more difficult to work on, which means a more specialized mechanic is needed at a higher hourly rate, and more hours are needed for the repair. The parts will often be more specialized, which means they're harder to get and will be more expensive. The only way it makes sense to have one is if those premium benefits are worth it enough to you to overcome the high cost of maintenance. It's definitely not a car you get if all you need is basic transportation.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
A Mercedes will typically have more features related to comfort, such as nicer seats, soundproofing, adaptive climate control, auto-adjust of cabin elements per driver, etc. It will also have an engine and chassis which delivers more performance, has better handling, and is better at stopping. On the downside, all of those features mean there's a lot more stuff to break and to repair. The cars can also be more difficult to work on, which means a more specialized mechanic is needed at a higher hourly rate, and more hours are needed for the repair. The parts will often be more specialized, which means they're harder to get and will be more expensive. The only way it makes sense to have one is if those premium benefits are worth it enough to you to overcome the high cost of maintenance. It's definitely not a car you get if all you need is basic transportation.
Is that true though? Is a MB ignition coil more specialized than a Toyota ignition coil? How many car parts are generically interchangeable and therefore more widely available and significantly cheaper anymore?
Old 05-28-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Is that true though? Is a MB ignition coil more specialized than a Toyota ignition coil? How many car parts are generically interchangeable and therefore more widely available and significantly cheaper anymore?
If you stick with dealer parts, the MB parts will be a lot more expensive than the Toyota parts. You can get 3rd-party parts from the auto store which will be cheaper than the dealer, but they often will be more expensive than Toyota. I'm not sure how much of that is "premium car markup" versus increased cost to manufacture.

One issue is that the performance of the MB comes from more sensors and shorter-lifespan parts than in a Toyota. The MB will have additional performance-related sensors that aren't found in cheaper cars, so there's costs that will be unique to the MB. MB will also get performance from parts which may wear sooner. For example, the nice handling may come from suspension bushings which wear out and need to get replaced. Or the ability to stop quickly comes from softer disk rotors that need to be replaced every brake job. So where a Toyota brake job might be just new pads and a resurfacing of the rotors, the MB will almost always need new rotors as part of the job. A brake job might be $2-300 on the Toyota, but might be $800-1000 on the Mercedes.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 PM

I've never owned a Toyota but I was recently quoted $680 for disks and pads, and labor for a VW. I ended up doing it myself for $250 in parts. I did pay nearly $1000 for the same exact job on my MB. In retrospect, should have done it myself as well.

That said, I have trouble believing that a Toyota brake job is half the price of a VW brake job for parts and labor. Perhaps your mechanic charges far less than mine.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
A Mercedes will typically have more features related to comfort, such as nicer seats, soundproofing, adaptive climate control, auto-adjust of cabin elements per driver, etc. It will also have an engine and chassis which delivers more performance, has better handling, and is better at stopping.
Yeah, this is why I was asking about objective comparisons above. Higher end Fords and Toyotas and Hyundais will add more features related to comfort. My Expedition, for example, has all of those things on its checklist. (Granted, it's a large SUV and its driving dynamics are different than a sedan.)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM

Acknowledging that the plural of anecdote is not data, here's my anecdote. I work for a nonprofit that continuously struggles with the logistical challenges of getting over a hundred lawyers from the office to the courthouse, where we don't have parking. The courthouse and the office are only a mile apart, but it's literally uphill both ways (no snow, thankfully, and we do have shoes!) We're not tryna be fancy, but our CEO finally shelled out for 2 Mercedes Sprinters to shuttle us back and forth all day, because the Ford equivalent we bought first was spending half its life in the shop and ultimately costing us more in repairs and replacement rentals. So there's that.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I have never owned a Mercedes but I've driven a few including an AMG SL (last week) and yeah, they're fine, but I wasn't impressed at what that amount of money will buy you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I worked for Ford at about that time and was embarrassed by the ads where people would see a Ford, and say, "Oh, the Joneses got a new Mercedes!" Making your whole selling point that you copied Mercedes styling was desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Pretty much every human has some consumer product where this applies to them - it's odd how many think one person's choices are silly without acknowledging their own.
All luxury goods are like that. The higher the price, the higher the profit margin. At a certain point, luxury manufacturers are not selling you functionality, they are selling you image--they are selling you the right to think you're better than everybody else. And that right costs a lot of money.

Last edited by CookingWithGas; 05-28-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm driving a Mercedes these days. The thing is solid. It has the feel of a car that is really well built.

It's not fancy, it's a station wagon. I bought it 3 years ago for the princely sum of $3,000. The rear suspension is shot, the rear window regulator is broken, the headlights mismatched, it's 19 years old and every single body panel on it has rust.

Despite all this, it feels like a very solidly built car, it doesn't feel cheap, it doesn't feel like corners were cut to keep the price down.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Or better still, here's an example of one of the ads where Ford tried to compare them.

I've read that this was a gimmick that Lee Iacocca came up with when he was CEO at Ford -- take a fairly ordinary car, but give it some "luxury car" styling touches like a fancy looking grille or a vinyl roof.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
That is even worse than I remembered.