Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 07-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Everything is evidence of everything. You exist on Earth and John F. Kennedy existed on Earth before he was assassinated, ergo, I have evidence that you assassinated JFK...
Let's assume this is true. I was 82 days and 3 hours old when JFK was killed. How is your evidence now that I killed him? You have the equivalent amount of evidence re Trump and Epstein. Get back to me when you have something plausible.
  #252  
Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Let's assume this is true. I was 82 days and 3 hours old when JFK was killed. How is your evidence now that I killed him? You have the equivalent amount of evidence re Trump and Epstein. Get back to me when you have something plausible.
Read the entire post.
  #253  
Old 07-17-2019, 09:15 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Read the entire post.
I did. My request stands.
  #254  
Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Let's assume this is true. I was 82 days and 3 hours old when JFK was killed. How is your evidence now that I killed him? You have the equivalent amount of evidence re Trump and Epstein. Get back to me when you have something plausible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
I did. My request stands.
Well then I'll note that no one was talking to you. You interjected into someone else's conversation, trying to shout it down. I'm happy to get back to you should there ever be sufficient evidence. In return, don't be a nuisance and read what people say, not what you think they're saying.

As said, ain't no one here who said that Trump met with Epstein. You're the only one who read anything that anyone wrote to say that.

If you're hearing people saying things they ain't saying, that's more problematic than the question of what topic people are investigating.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-17-2019 at 09:19 AM.
  #255  
Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Well then I'll note that no one was talking to you. You interjected into someone else's conversation, trying to shout it down. I'm happy to get back to you should there ever be sufficient evidence. In return, don't be a nuisance and read what people say, not what you think they're saying.

As said, ain't no one here who said that Trump met with Epstein. You're the only one who read anything that anyone wrote to say that.

If you're hearing people saying things they ain't saying, that's more problematic than the question of what topic people are investigating.
Oh, come on. First, I didn't inject myself anywhere. I joined a thread conversation. Isn't that the idea of this place? And I'm not trying to shout down anything, I've simply raised objections to certain things that I find implausible. Don't be so sensitive.

But fine. If you only want to talk with people who agree with you, or at least don't try to dispute what you are saying, okay. I'll bow out.
  #256  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:09 AM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,874
Get a room.
  #257  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,366
I’m both amazed and amused at the partisanship around the Epstein scandal, which seems to be the rare situation where one can honestly claim he had friends all over “both sides”.

But this does have a silver lining in that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, except his current and presumably highly paid current lawyers, is defending him.
Because if Trump and other Republicans were clearly implicated and Clinton and other Democrats weren’t, you’d be hearing lots of excuses. They were teens, not children. He has a nice place and he paid them well, it’s not like he was dragging them to a scuzzy rape dungeon. He was sentenced fair and square and has paid his debt to society.
But thankfully, no one is singing that tune, and I think that’s largely because of the politics.

But it is about Epstein, not Clinton, not Trump.
  #258  
Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
But it is about Epstein, not Clinton, not Trump.
Until it isn’t. I hope he doesn’t get a dramatically reduced sentence for ratting out people in power.
  #259  
Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Until it isn’t. I hope he doesn’t get a dramatically reduced sentence for ratting out people in power.
Certainly, I understand the sentiment but I would say that we live in the real world and this is the sort of situation where is likely that a prosecutor could end up in a situation where they're weighing the difference of giant horrors and his ability to remove the greatest amount as possible from the world.

Epstein is 70 years old - getting into "things don't work anymore" territory - and will likely be under a magnifying lense for the rest of his life. Fundamentally, you can't undo the damage that he has done before now and the amount of damage that he can still do is fairly small.

I don't want him to go free but, for the right price, it may well be worth letting him go.
  #260  
Old 07-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Lamoral's Avatar
Lamoral is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 2,774
I think that would be great - he rats out a bunch of big names, then someone has him whacked for it, everyone wins.
  #261  
Old 07-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Certainly, I understand the sentiment but I would say that we live in the real world and this is the sort of situation where is likely that a prosecutor could end up in a situation where they're weighing the difference of giant horrors and his ability to remove the greatest amount as possible from the world.

Epstein is 70 years old - getting into "things don't work anymore" territory - and will likely be under a magnifying lense for the rest of his life. Fundamentally, you can't undo the damage that he has done before now and the amount of damage that he can still do is fairly small.

I don't want him to go free but, for the right price, it may well be worth letting him go.
But as a prosecutor, your job is to prosecute the crime placed in front of you, not to defend the free world from tyranny. For the purpose of investigating sex trafficking of minors, Epstein is the big fish. Sure if you come across something damning you should prosecute that as well, but you don't give up the ring leader in order to prosecute a client. Even if that client happens to be the president.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 07-17-2019 at 03:57 PM.
  #262  
Old 07-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Epstein is 70 years old - getting into "things don't work anymore" territory - and will likely be under a magnifying lense for the rest of his life. Fundamentally, you can't undo the damage that he has done before now and the amount of damage that he can still do is fairly small.

I don't want him to go free but, for the right price, it may well be worth letting him go.
And what will you say when he kidnaps and molests one of your daughters? Would that be "fairly small" damage? Still "worth it"?

It may seem small to you, but that's prolly because you're not actually involved in any way. Ask his victims if they think the same as you; I'll bet they do not.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-17-2019 at 05:11 PM.
  #263  
Old 07-17-2019, 05:17 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
Tom Winter, NBC News, is about to break a story detailing Epstein's use of the passport with no name during the 1980s.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/statu...12204891770880
  #264  
Old 07-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post

I don't want him to go free but, for the right price, it may well be worth letting him go.
No, this is one of those cases where a message MUST be sent. The message is that wealth and influence should not and cannot shield you from the consequences of heinous acts. The prosecutor has to jump on his head with both feet. Partly because he richly deserves it and partly to undo the damage of his previous sweetheart deal.
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #265  
Old 07-17-2019, 06:10 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
Epstein used the 2nd passport during the 80s to visit the UK, KSA, and other locations:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1031046

He claims it was for his protection, as a Jewish man traveling in the ME at that time.
  #266  
Old 07-17-2019, 06:19 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
Lol:

https://twitter.com/RighteousBabe4/s...408518145?s=19

Epstein refuses to attest if he is or is not a citizen or permanent resident of a country other than the US.

You know, like we all would.
  #267  
Old 07-17-2019, 06:33 PM
Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Tom Winter, NBC News, is about to break a story detailing Epstein's use of the passport with no name during the 1980s.
It felt good to be out of the rain.
  #268  
Old 07-17-2019, 06:43 PM
Isosleepy's Avatar
Isosleepy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I don't want him to go free but, for the right price, it may well be worth letting him go.
No.
With apologies for interjecting myself into whatever private conversation you’re having in this thread on a public message board.
  #269  
Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I think that would be great - he rats out a bunch of big names, then someone has him whacked for it, everyone wins.
I was kind of thinking along those lines. Neither going to prison nor implicating powerful clients/friends/corapists is conducive to survival. He seems hosed either way.
  #270  
Old 07-17-2019, 09:13 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
No, this is one of those cases where a message MUST be sent. The message is that wealth and influence should not and cannot shield you from the consequences of heinous acts. The prosecutor has to jump on his head with both feet. Partly because he richly deserves it and partly to undo the damage of his previous sweetheart deal.
No matter who is taken down, it would serve that message - particularly if its a large number of people of the Epstein level and particularly if it's the President of the USA.

If the President can be taken down by the law, that's a larger message on those lines than Epstein.
  #271  
Old 07-17-2019, 09:20 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
No.
With apologies for interjecting myself into whatever private conversation you’re having in this thread on a public message board.
Feel free to disagree. My complaint with Fiddlehead was that he accused JohnT and me of dishonesty and craziness, disregarding for example the post right before he chimed in where I pointed out that it would have been completely normal for Epstein to have been in Paris at that moment of time, no matter what, and not particularly meaningful. And then he proceeded to bitch that we were forcing our conclusions on him - despite that we had come to no conclusions and no one's forcing anything on anyone. I appreciated, for example, his critique of the chances that Trump could move around secretly and meet with people, undiscovered. If he was simply raising points for consideration, I would have had no issue.
  #272  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:20 PM
DWMarch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Posts: 2,115
When some bad news about Trump is in progress and he doesn't want people to focus on it, he'll say or do something stupid.

This news about Epstein drops. There's video of him and Trump together. The connection is undeniable.

A day or two later, Trump says some of the most racist things he's ever said and he picks a fight with a group of Congresswomen who are fighting back fiercely. Now we're watching what is the admittedly fun show of AOC et al putting Trump on blast.

But we've stopped talking about Epstein and his Trump connection. Now why does Trump not want us looking at that story any longer?

Could it be that Ivanka did some "modeling" for Epstein, not knowing the pictures would make their way back to daddy? I hope if and when the FBI finds this material, they disregard any order from the Attorney General to immediately destroy it.
  #273  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 PM
galen ubal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
When some bad news about Trump is in progress and he doesn't want people to focus on it, he'll say or do something stupid.

This news about Epstein drops. There's video of him and Trump together. The connection is undeniable.

A day or two later, Trump says some of the most racist things he's ever said and he picks a fight with a group of Congresswomen who are fighting back fiercely. Now we're watching what is the admittedly fun show of AOC et al putting Trump on blast.

But we've stopped talking about Epstein and his Trump connection. Now why does Trump not want us looking at that story any longer?

Could it be that Ivanka did some "modeling" for Epstein, not knowing the pictures would make their way back to daddy? I hope if and when the FBI finds this material, they disregard any order from the Attorney General to immediately destroy it.
Funny. We're still talking about it. There's still a story on Trump and Epstein up on the Washington Post. Maybe people can pay attention to more than one story at once?

Look, there's no strategy here by Trump to divert attention. He says awful, racist, stupid things because he's an awful, racist, stupid person. He says them because he knows the sort of people who go to his rallies will eat it up, and cheer him on, and stroke his ego.
There's no strategy with Trump. There's nothing but narcissism and greed, and the immediate gratification of both. No calculation, just a petty, hateful bully spouting off.
__________________
Salvator apiae.
  #274  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 42,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Funny. We're still talking about it. There's still a story on Trump and Epstein up on the Washington Post. Maybe people can pay attention to more than one story at once?

Look, there's no strategy here by Trump to divert attention. He says awful, racist, stupid things because he's an awful, racist, stupid person. He says them because he knows the sort of people who go to his rallies will eat it up, and cheer him on, and stroke his ego.
There's no strategy with Trump. There's nothing but narcissism and greed, and the immediate gratification of both. No calculation, just a petty, hateful bully spouting off.
Right. For this to be a "strategy" there would have to be significant periods of time when Trump was not saying stupid hateful stuff. But it's really just a constant drumbeat. Every couple of days (or less) Trump says or tweets some more nonsense. And Trump getting bad publicity about one thing or another is pretty much constant too. I really don't see that Trump ups the outrageousness in a consistent way when some other shit is going on.
  #275  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:56 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,560
I mean, I think it's perfectly plausible that when he becomes aware of some particularly egregious other shit going on, he gets more irritable and resentful, which amplifies his natural tendency to up the outrageousness. But I agree that it really doesn't seem appropriate to dignify this reaction with the name "plan".
  #276  
Old 07-18-2019, 04:38 AM
Der Trihs's Avatar
Der Trihs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
If the President can be taken down by the law, that's a larger message on those lines than Epstein.
Except as a Republican President Trump is above the law, and can't be taken down by any crime no matter how serious. So letting Epstein go would just mean Epstein walks and Trump stays.
  #277  
Old 07-18-2019, 04:54 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Except as a Republican President Trump is above the law, and can't be taken down by any crime no matter how serious. So letting Epstein go would just mean Epstein walks and Trump stays.
That's generally true but not absolutely true. It's generally accepted, for example, that if the President murdered someone in broad daylight in front of a pile of witnesses that you would have to move forward with a prosecution.

It just depends on the severity of the crime.

Had there been sufficient evidence of a conspiracy with Russia, Mueller probably would have prosecuted. Obstruction of Justice didn't meet the severity threshold for unilateral action.
  #278  
Old 07-18-2019, 05:09 AM
Maastricht is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dutch in the Netherlands
Posts: 9,270
Sage Rat, you linked to a theory of Epstein running an extensive blackmail scheme. The theory eerily fits all the known facts.

Now NY magazine Intelligencer supports that theory as well. They asked a bunch of real hedgefund managers to look into Epsteins way of working. They concur that the most likely way Epstein made his money is basically this:

1. Throw lavish parties with jailbait girls, and very rich guys who may be goaded into having sex with them; dress up the parties further with naive celebrities that think your parties are the place to be;
2. Gather compromat on the sex, and blackmail the guys into investing their money with you, and charge them for "handling and investment"fees
3. Supply your victims with more girls, because, once they're in your claws, they might as well enjoy it. Also, supply your clients with every tax evasion scheme they need. If client Trump needs to officially lose billions of money so he doesn't have to pay taxes, you can arrange for him to have his "stocks" lose the required amounts of money, only to magically make him "profit" from another business scheme.

There is evidence to back this up. Epstein had, for instance, not 150 but at most 30 people working for him. No colleagues in the hedgefund world know of him actually doing hedge fund work or deals.
  #279  
Old 07-18-2019, 06:18 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
Sage Rat, you linked to a theory of Epstein running an extensive blackmail scheme. The theory eerily fits all the known facts.
It's probably worth pointing out that Team Acosta don't seem to have ever looked into him, along the financial angle (or, it never came out in the press at any rate). That's another curiosity on the part of the previous conviction.

I would say that, excluding blackmail, any form of con game relies on the desire for the mark to commit a crime in order to win big. It's what keeps them from going to the cops after they discover that they've been ripped off.

And, traditionally at least, con artists like to get a friendly cop or two on their side, giving them kickbacks for taking any cases that are reported and - subsequently - falling to follow through on them.

Adding some underaged girls or even any girls at all into the mix and you've got double protection. Drug the guy out and, when he wakes up, whether he was with a kiddo or an adult, he's still going to be pretty damn concerned about what happened the previous night and whether it's on tape.

In a sense, all of that is blackmail - even at the level of a traditional con game, where you're simply inviting someone to join you in a criminal bit of financial misbehavior. But it's probably more accurate to look at it principally as a con game. Conceivably, the girls were just there for Epstein himself in all or a majority of cases. That shouldn't mean that you let him go on the financial stuff. If he was running a con job then, even if the "backstop" wasn't girls, it was still fraud and extortion.
  #280  
Old 07-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Should it prove true that Acosta was simply following orders (to protect Prince Andrew and UK involvement in Iraq) then, I'll note, that it looks like it would have been at the order of either Alberto Gonzalez, Paul McNulty, or Craig S. Morford. In June of 2007, the prosecution was about to release a giant indictment against Epstein. By September, Vilafana was sending over misdemeanors to the defense, to ask them which one Epstein was least opposed to. That would have been during the last half of "The Surge".

Timing wise, the theory does check out.

But in terms of politics, that's horribly stupid. You can safely trust that the population of the UK wants pedophiles to be captured and arrested. They'll not just be okay with it, they'll be happy about it. And, similarly, you can safely trust that if the people like a thing then the politicians will also like that thing.

Not to mention that any British investigation would have taken a few years, before anything actually happened. All that would have occurred during the the trial itself would have been, in essence, gossip on the matter. The US wouldn't have filed for an extradition of Andrew and all the court documents would have been sealed so we're talking about Epstein, as an anonymous source, leaking to the press that Andrew was guilty, too.

Whoever thought it was a good idea - even if we assume that the Iraq war was the most necessary and well-considered thing ever - was a moron and deserves to take the majority of the scorn.

Obviously, that could still be Acosta, though, it's worth noting. I could easily see, as example, Epstein telling them that he would out the Prince of England if they continued, destroying the British alliance, causing the surge to fizzle, and ending Acosta's career trajectory. Acosta could have been (at Epstein's prompting) the originator of the idea and the core salesman for it, as an effort to brown-nose that he was "saving our troops".

I find it likely that emails from the time, between Acosta and DOJ central probably still exist and would be...interesting.
  #281  
Old 07-18-2019, 07:59 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dismis...ys_controversy BTW
  #282  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Certainly, I understand the sentiment but I would say that we live in the real world and this is the sort of situation where is likely that a prosecutor could end up in a situation where they're weighing the difference of giant horrors and his ability to remove the greatest amount as possible from the world.

Epstein is 70 years old - getting into "things don't work anymore" territory - and will likely be under a magnifying lense for the rest of his life. Fundamentally, you can't undo the damage that he has done before now and the amount of damage that he can still do is fairly small.

I don't want him to go free but, for the right price, it may well be worth letting him go.
IMO, the "right price" offer is along the lines of: "Sing like a canary and we'll put you in a Club Fed instead of a place with a short life expectancy for kiddie diddlers."
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.

Last edited by Steve MB; 07-18-2019 at 09:31 AM.
  #283  
Old 07-18-2019, 10:25 AM
not what you'd expect is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,836
What are the chances that Epstein will be released on bail? I see that R Kelly was denied, but he's no Epstein.
  #284  
Old 07-18-2019, 10:31 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
The hearing is about to start, so I can jump in and say that while it isn't 0%, I would say it is very, very low.

Be quite an uproar if he gets "house arrest" and then skips, knowing all we know about how he was prepared to flee in the first place.
  #285  
Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
Rejected. Epstein to remain in jail, Berman citing danger to others and the community. Written ruling to be available in a hour or so.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/...77502178123777

ETA: Apparently, the section about the above "danger to others and the community" runs to ten full pages.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-18-2019 at 10:38 AM.
  #286  
Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Some businesses connected to Epstein have been tracked down through the Panama Papers, it seems:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...232799597.html
  #287  
Old 07-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Der Trihs's Avatar
Der Trihs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
That's generally true but not absolutely true. It's generally accepted, for example, that if the President murdered someone in broad daylight in front of a pile of witnesses that you would have to move forward with a prosecution.
One of the few accurate things that Trump has ever said is that he could just shoot somebody in front of witnesses and get away with it. About the only thing he could do that would result in punishment would be walking into Congress and killing Republican Congress members.

But not Democrats, those he could get away with killing.
  #288  
Old 07-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
One of the few accurate things that Trump has ever said is that he could just shoot somebody in front of witnesses and get away with it. About the only thing he could do that would result in punishment would be walking into Congress and killing Republican Congress members.

But not Democrats, those he could get away with killing.
That's impeachment not prosecution.
  #289  
Old 07-18-2019, 12:45 PM
MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 373
let's hope he doesn't get ANOTHER slap on the wrist
  #290  
Old 07-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Had there been sufficient evidence of a conspiracy with Russia, Mueller probably would have prosecuted.
AFAIK there is zero evidence to support this assertion, and quite a lot to deny it.
  #291  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 PM
Saintly Loser is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
Could it be that Ivanka did some "modeling" for Epstein, not knowing the pictures would make their way back to daddy? I hope if and when the FBI finds this material, they disregard any order from the Attorney General to immediately destroy it.
This seems incredibly unlikely. Epstein does not appear to be a stupid man, and he probably would not shit where he eats, so to speak.

That said, on the infinitesimally small chance that such a thing happened, Ivanka Trump would be deserving of the same protections as any other teenage victim of Epstein, and I would hope that such pictures would be destroyed immediately, without copies being made.

I supposed pictures like that might be needed as evidence at some trial in the future, and I suppose they could be shown in a closed courtroom, but after that, they should be destroyed.
  #292  
Old 07-19-2019, 10:03 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
Going to park this here, rather than start a new thread:

George Nader, Witness in Mueller Probe, Hit With New Charges of Sex Trafficking

Quote:
George Nader, who was a key witness in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, has been hit with new federal charges of child pornography, sex trafficking, and obscenity, according to a person familiar with the case.

The charges come on top of separate child-porn charges leveled by the same prosecutors last month. The new indictment is set to be unsealed Friday morning in the Eastern District of Virginia, according to the person.

...

Nader, a 60-year-old Lebanese-American businessman with deep political and financial ties to the United Arab Emirates, was a key cooperator in Mueller’s probe of foreign influence in the 2016 election. Nader met several times with individuals associated with the Trump campaign throughout the election and into the early days of the administration. He spoke with officials and advisers on matters ranging from a pitch by a foreign firm for the campaign to use social-media manipulation to regime-change in Iran. (He met with Donald Trump Jr. and other campaign advisors about the plan, which included a proposal to use fake avatars to garner support for Trump, but Trump officials deny they ever considered it.)
"Really, guys... the fake avatars? It's just too much. Let's just stick with the email hacking and collusion with Russia."

Last edited by JohnT; 07-19-2019 at 10:03 AM.
  #293  
Old 07-19-2019, 11:01 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
When I was a kid, I would go down every summer and visit my grandparents for 4-6 weeks at a time - they had lost their daughter when I was 1yo, so her children (me and my sibs) were the closest connection they had to my mom, so they were glad to host us, even as small children.

They were typically stern, frugal, and religious, as one would expect people who raised children during the Great Depression would be. And I was a typical nerdy kid, reading books that were "too old" for me ever since I started reading.

So, in 1978, 1979 or thereabouts, I went down to Daytona Beach for the summer, like always, but this time sneaking in my favorite book of the moment, The Book of Lists, which had all sorts of cool info about pop stars, missing persons, the occult, and... yes... sex.

So, like a genius, I hid it in the closet.

Where my grandmother inevitably found it.

Long story short, she's holding the book in front of me and my grandfather, flipping through this well-worn paperback, reading the "horrifying" information I was looking at. Then she gets to "6 people with additional body parts" (the Mexican guy with the head growing out of his head sticks with me to this day, but I digress...), turns the page in shock, only to see

"6 most popular positions for sexual intercourse."

That did it, I can tell you! My grandmother lost it, demanding who and where I got this book, and like a 11yo 400 miles from home, I cracked with some typical kid bullshit:

"IT WAS DANNY'S BOOK! HE READ IT AND THEN GAVE IT TO ME TO READ! I HAVEN'T EVEN LOOKED AT IT YET!"

For years after that, my grandmother always asked me if I knew Danny. (He didn't even exist, to be honest. Sorry, Grammy.)

So... why is this relevant to Jeff Epstein?

Because Epstein literally gave the same excuse to the judge that I gave my grandmother. And the excuse worked just as well.

Quote:
UPDATE: Jeffrey Epstein’s lawyers said Thursday that the fake, foreign passport found in his safe was given to him by a friend and had already been used when he got it.
Very few times can I laugh when reading about pedophiles, but I admit it: This time, I laughed.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-19-2019 at 11:04 AM.
  #294  
Old 07-19-2019, 11:24 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069

"It's going to be contagion numbers."


“IT’S GOING TO BE STAGGERING, THE AMOUNT OF NAMES”: AS THE JEFFREY EPSTEIN CASE GROWS MORE GROTESQUE, MANHATTAN AND DC BRACE FOR IMPACT

Quote:
But among the most pressing queries is which other famous people might be exposed for committing sex crimes. “There were other business associates of Mr. Epstein’s who engaged in improper sexual misconduct at one or more of his homes. We do know that,” said Brad Edwards, a lawyer for Courtney Wild, one of the Epstein accusers who gave emotional testimony at Epstein’s bail hearing. “In due time the names are going to start coming out.” (Attorneys for Epstein did not respond to a request for comment.)

Likely within days, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit will release almost 2,000 pages of documents that could reveal sexual abuse by “numerous prominent American politicians, powerful business executives, foreign presidents, a well-known prime minister, and other world leaders,” according to the three-judge panel's ruling. The documents were filed during a civil defamation lawsuit brought by Epstein accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffre, a former Mar-a-Lago locker-room attendant, against Epstein’s former girlfriend and alleged madam, Ghislaine Maxwell. “Nobody who was around Epstein a lot is going to have an easy time now. It’s all going to come out,” said Giuffre’s lawyer David Boies. Another person involved with litigation against Epstein told me: “It’s going to be staggering, the amount of names. It’s going to be contagion numbers.”
  #295  
Old 07-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,881


Was the mysterious person who used this fake foreign passport and then gave it to Epstein his twin brother? Otherwise how did he manage to use a passport with Epstein's face on it?

Last edited by Buck Godot; 07-19-2019 at 11:31 AM.
  #296  
Old 07-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 42,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Right. For this to be a "strategy" there would have to be significant periods of time when Trump was not saying stupid hateful stuff. But it's really just a constant drumbeat. Every couple of days (or less) Trump says or tweets some more nonsense. And Trump getting bad publicity about one thing or another is pretty much constant too. I really don't see that Trump ups the outrageousness in a consistent way when some other shit is going on.
Apropos of this, I just saw this on Facebook;

Quote:
America 2019, where the president's sexual assault victim gets pushed out of the news by the president's concentration camps for children, which gets pushed out of the news by the president's child-sex-trafficking bestie which gets pushed out of the news by the president's racism.
-Jeff Tiedrich
  #297  
Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Was the mysterious person who used this fake foreign passport and then gave it to Epstein his twin brother? Otherwise how did he manage to use a passport with Epstein's face on it?
I was wondering about this part as well.
  #298  
Old 07-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Steve McQwark is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Was the mysterious person who used this fake foreign passport and then gave it to Epstein his twin brother? Otherwise how did he manage to use a passport with Epstein's face on it?
Pshaw, twin brother is so Agatha Christie. This is the twenty-first century. It was Jeffrey Epstein, but from a parallel universe... dun dun dun. If through the wormhole another Jeffrey Epstein did flit, you must acquit.
  #299  
Old 07-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Apropos of this, I just saw this on Facebook;
Quote:
America 2019, where the president's sexual assault victim gets pushed out of the news by the president's concentration camps for children, which gets pushed out of the news by the president's child-sex-trafficking bestie which gets pushed out of the news by the president's racism.
-Jeff Tiedrich
It's scandal firewalking. As long as we jump from one to the next quickly enough, nobody gets hurt.
  #300  
Old 07-19-2019, 12:38 PM
elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,002
Stumble, faceplant, Noriega face.
__________________
Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, love above all.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017