Old 07-26-2019, 01:42 PM

Mitch McConnell in the Pit!

How does such a hypocrite get and remain in office? First, he blocks Obama's nomination for the USSC saying 'let the voters pick the next President first' . Then he says that if a USSC opening comes up shortly before the 2020 election you can be sure there will be a vote in the Senate. Now, he's blocking election security legislation, claiming its political. WTF!? I think I dislike this guy as much or more than Trump!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
How does such a hypocrite get and remain in office?
Because he's got an (R) after his name, in a state with a lot of idiots who automatically vote for the (R) no matter how corrupt or downright evil.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:52 PM

In all the world, you won't find a swamp that is swampier than Mitch. He is the reason we all hate politicians. He has fought to keep as much money in politics as possible. He has gamed the political system as far as he can. Listen to the recent Embedded podcast season. I advise you to have a punching bag, as well as a vomit bucket handy.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Mitch is an inflamed hemorrhoids on trumps fat orange ass.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Mitch is an inflamed hemorrhoids on trumps fat orange ass.
Worse, he is an inflamed hemorrhoid that voluntarily attached himself to Trump's fat orange ass.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celidin View Post
Because he's got an (R) after his name, in a state with a lot of idiots who automatically vote for the (R) no matter how corrupt...
The same could be said for NYC and (D). At least we haven't found one anywhere near as evil and hypocritical as MM. But NYC democrats (and the entire state, (D) & (R)) take a backseat to no one when it comes to corruption.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
The same could be said for NYC and (D). At least we haven't found one anywhere near as evil and hypocritical as MM. But NYC democrats (and the entire state, (D) & (R)) take a backseat to no one when it comes to corruption.
Uh oh now you done it.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
In all the world, you won't find a swamp that is swampier than Mitch. He is the reason we all hate politicians. He has fought to keep as much money in politics as possible. He has gamed the political system as far as he can. Listen to the recent Embedded podcast season. I advise you to have a punching bag, as well as a vomit bucket handy.
Well said.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
But NYC democrats (and the entire state, (D) & (R)) take a backseat to no one when it comes to corruption.
Chicago would like you to hold its beer.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:22 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Like MikeF, I find myself despising Yertle the Majority Leader even more than King Cannot (and that's a pretty high bar). In a way, KC can hardly help being a con man: it's in his genes, and his upbringing only reinforced the predisposition. He could have chosen a different path, but he was far from the first to succumb to the temptations of the Dark Side (especially with cookies and two scoops).

Yertle, on the other hand, sold his birthright for the proverbial mess of pottage. And I hope it gives him indigestion someday.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Rhode Island has a pretty bad reputation also, and New Orleans has been pretty nasty too.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:48 PM

So long as Texas maintains its peerless reputation for civic virtue and purity, standards are maintained.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celidin View Post
Because he's got an (R) after his name, in a state with a lot of idiots who automatically vote for the (R) no matter how corrupt or downright evil.
Listen to the voice of experience. I'm one of a group of liberal democrats in Kentucky that I can count on one hand. Most people here think Trump is amazing. I'm surprised that McConnell is as unpopular as he is here (a 2018 poll has McConnell as the least popular American Senator, but I think that's a cumulative score, not just KY).

Last edited by Superdude; 07-26-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:26 PM

Mitch McConnell is a Russian asset

Quote:
Mitch McConnell is a Russian asset.

This doesn’t mean he’s a spy, but neither is it a flip accusation. Russia attacked our country in 2016. It is attacking us today. Its attacks will intensify in 2020. Yet each time we try to raise our defenses to repel the attack, McConnell, the Senate majority leader, blocks us from defending ourselves.

Let’s call this what it is: unpatriotic. The Kentucky Republican is, arguably more than any other American, doing Russian President Vladimir Putin’s bidding.
Whatever it takes to get Trump re-elected, I guess.

Moscow Mitch is even against reporting foreign contacts offering assistance to the FBI.

Party before national security.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:41 PM

Mitch McConnell is the product of voters. And so is Donald Trump.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Trump is a buffoon and a wanna-be dictator, but McConnell is easily the worst human alive, at least the worst that I know of. I expect there to be a substantial industry associated with soaking his grave with piss after he departs this life, and I am glad that he is much older than I am, because I will have all sorts of feels of schadenfreude hearing about it and his desecrated legacy in the years and decades ahead.

Last edited by ataraxy22; 07-26-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
I'll grant that the cities of Chicago and New Orleans might edge out NYC, when considering large cities. I'm unsure about RI, but IL is definitely a state that can rival or exceed NYS, as might some of the southern states. But rest assured, in none of these cases, is it an easy victory for any contender. No, each needs to find new and unique ways of corruption constantly if they wish to keep their crown. Sadly, they and the other contenders do just that.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:20 PM

He is Machg'onahhl the Turtle Demon incarnate.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 PM

Joe Scarborough dubbed him "Moscow Mitch" today, and I hope it sticks. He held up the 9/11 responders bill- why exactly? Was he hoping to trade it for something else? You just know that if he can't count 34 acquittal votes before it gets to the Senate, then the impeachment will die with no action taken by the Senate. Of course, public opinion will have to undergo tectonic change for there not to be 34 votes in Donnie's pocket, but Moscow Mitch will ride that horse as long as it has legs.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Mitch McConnell is the product of voters. And so is Donald Trump.
Are they, though?

McConnell has won elections despite being deeply unpopular, in a state with electronic "ballots" and, apparently, no paper trail.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:31 AM

Certainly would go a long way to explaining his reluctance to do anything to upset that horseapple cart. To be ruthlessly fair, we cannot say that is true. But we can certainly say its suspicious.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:44 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
upset that horseapple cart

Great expression!
Old 07-27-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

I'm impressed that there seems to be not only some increase in recriminations against Cocaine Mitch this weekend, but an acknowledgement in high-profile quarters that he's subverting the Constitution and the USA itself.

Now someone needs to get him out of that seat.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:44 AM

Mitch McConnell put put party above country, president above party, and the acquisition of power above all. With, I say again, his country at the bottom of the list.

He's far worse than Donald Trump.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
Like MikeF, I find myself despising Yertle the Majority Leader even more than King Cannot (and that's a pretty high bar). In a way, KC can hardly help being a con man: it's in his genes, and his upbringing only reinforced the predisposition. He could have chosen a different path, but he was far from the first to succumb to the temptations of the Dark Side (especially with cookies and two scoops).

Yertle, on the other hand, sold his birthright for the proverbial mess of pottage. And I hope it gives him indigestion someday.
Please do not associate the name of an honorable fictional turtle with Mitch McConnel.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:28 AM

Morning Joe blasts Moscow Mitch for over 3 minutes.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdo View Post
Worse, he is an inflamed hemorrhoid that voluntarily attached himself to Trump's fat orange ass.
An inflamed hemorrhemora?
Old 07-30-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Lawrence O'Donnell has the follow-up story: ‘Moscow Mitch’ Angry At Being Called ‘Moscow Mitch’I did not realize that Moscow Mitch took to the Senate floor to speechify his wonnerfulness to us all; great use of taxpayer funds there, comrade.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 AM

He should be burned alive.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:00 PM

Mitch McConnel in the Pit- I don't even know where to start. So, fuck that guy.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I hear a lot of impotent rage here, while Mitch basically gets away with everything and only accumulates more and more power.

Probably, in his mind, everyone plays the power game and does whatever it takes to win, and he's just the better player.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
I hear a lot of impotent rage here, ...
Yeah, it's a mere message board.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:45 PM

"Impotents of the world, arise!"
Old 07-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Lawrence O'Donnell has the follow-up story: ‘Moscow Mitch’ Angry At Being Called ‘Moscow Mitch’I did not realize that Moscow Mitch took to the Senate floor to speechify his wonnerfulness to us all; great use of taxpayer funds there, comrade.
It kind of makes me want to send him a bunch of postcards all addressed to Moscow Mitch.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:57 PM

I apologize to Hunter Thompson if I'm mangling the quote, but he should be put on a Chinese junk and floated out to sea.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:40 PM

Kentucky is the 6th least educated state and the 5th poorest. Maybe if Mitch put the same energy into helping his constituents as he does fellating Putin, Kentucky wouldn't be the meth and heroin infested shithole that it is.

Last edited by Try2B Comprehensive; 07-30-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:54 PM

It is almost like he controls the body responsible for those decisions!
Old 07-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
It is almost like he controls the body responsible for those decisions!
Is "Republican Apologist" a paid position, or are you an intern?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 07-30-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

You're not a whore if you give it away free.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
You're not a whore if you give it away free.
Except he's not giving it away for free. He's getting a lot of $$$ out of it!

(One of plenty) https://www.salon.com/2019/06/12/mit...ike-joe-biden/
Old 07-30-2019, 05:31 PM

Mitch is a walking talking prime example of the failure of the repeated prisoner's dilemma. Everyone always knew that there were loopholes in Senate norms that could be exploited to tactical advantage. But they also knew that the Senate worked better for everyone if both sides acted in good faith. No one got everything they wanted but at least they got something. But McConnell said "To hell with that, if I ratfuck the opposition while they are still trying to play nice I can get all I want and they get jack shit! Win for me!" Now of course the Dems know playing nice is just going to get them kicked in the teeth, so they are starting to ratfuck back, with then end result that everyone, especially the country gets jack shit.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:00 PM

And yet Jack Cheese is simply wonderful!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:46 PM

I'm happy to say I think Moscow Mitch is going to stick all the way through November 2020. Rolls off the tongue. The fact that he's revealed he's ouchy about it just makes it more tempting to keep throwing it at him.

I'm not a big Joe Scarborough fan, but I'll give him credit for tagging Moscow Mitch 16 times in his opening screed yesterday morning. Nice work, Joe.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I'm happy to say I think Moscow Mitch is going to stick all the way through November 2020. Rolls off the tongue. The fact that he's revealed he's ouchy about it just makes it more tempting to keep throwing it at him.

I'm not a big Joe Scarborough fan, but I'll give him credit for tagging Moscow Mitch 16 times in his opening screed yesterday morning. Nice work, Joe.
I was gobsmacked to see Moscow Mitch take to the Senate floor to whine about it. I've never seen that smug shitstain show any sign of weakness before. That was glorious. I think I might have even seen his waddle quiver with emotion. Or maybe that was just his normal amount of waddle quivering.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I was gobsmacked to see Moscow Mitch take to the Senate floor to whine about it. I've never seen that smug shitstain show any sign of weakness before. That was glorious. I think I might have even seen his waddle quiver with emotion. Or maybe that was just his normal amount of waddle quivering.
It was sweet, for sure. He's not used to being attacked, and certainly not so effectively.

I actually want to see Moscow Mitch defeated more than Trump. There would be no Trump without Moscow Mitch.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:49 PM

There hasn't been much real news in the 3 weeks since Amy McGrath announced she would run against Moscow Mitch (Elections thread here). But so far she seems like she might be an effective candidate.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the Moscow Mitch links, Snowboarder Bo!
Old 07-31-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

This article about, and interview with, Mitch’s colleague Newt Gingrich is a very intersting longread. It describes hoe Newt and Mitch steered the Republican Party into the hyperpartisan mess it is today. https://www.google.nl/amp/s/amp.thea...rticle/570832/
Old 07-31-2019, 04:41 PM

Mitch McConnell Really Doesn’t Like His New Nickname

Quote:
As one of the great obstructionists in U.S. political history, Mitch McConnell has made peace with being the heel of the Senate: In recent years, he’s embraced such nicknames as Darth Vader, the Grim Reaper, and “Cocaine Mitch,” going as far as selling T-shirts of that last, most ridiculous one. But 34 years into his career on the hill, McConnell has found an alter ego he can’t stand: “Moscow Mitch.”
The last paragraph has the best quotes, though. For once, Trump tells the truth (bolded).

Quote:
As most middle-schoolers or Trump targets might know, McConnell’s request to stop being called by the name he doesn’t like was unsuccessful: The nickname appears to be growing, with #MoscowMitchMcTreason and #MoscowMitchUnAmericanTraitor gaining traction on Twitter. Hoping to come to his defense, Trump did the best he could on Tuesday: “Mitch McConnell is a man that knows less about Russia and Russian influence than even Donald Trump,” the president told reporters. “And I know nothing.”
Agreed, Trump knows nothing about almost everything.

Last edited by dasmoocher; 07-31-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:18 PM

In my most fantastical fever dreams, I imagine an Oliver Cromwell-ish-ish figure striding into Washington DC and cleaning up this whole mess.

One persistent image I have is of a certain head adorning a spike as warning to others that may come later.

Somehow I find myself in this thread sharing this imagery.

It brings me comfort.