No Right on Red...Cut Through Gas Station???

If I’m stopped at a red light waiting to make a right-hand turn and there are a bunch of cars stopped in front of me, would it be legal to just cut through an adjacent gas station?

I can’t get a ticket for this, right? I mean, the gas station is privated property, isn’t it? Can I pull in to buy gas, and then suddenly change my mind?

Thanks.

I was taught in Driver’s Ed that the maneuver of which you speak is indeed illegal and one can get ticketed for it. I don’t know the relevant statute.

I’ve seen people do it, and I’ve seen people get ticketed for it. There is a law which forbids “entering a gas station with the intent to bypass a traffic signal” or something like that. (At least in New York.)

what you are describing is utilyzing a parking lot as if it was a street, and you can (and my Snookie did) get ticketed (or at least warned). (my state is MI, I’d rather guess that it would similarly be against the law around the US w/different words used in the statute)

I, too, cannot recall what the violation is called, but in Texas you will get a ticket for that.

It’s called being lazy. Wait your turn like other civilized people.
You know you don’t even really have to stop at a redlight or stopsign either. A big problem with people nowadays is they can’t figure out the difference between what they wanna do and what they should do.
Venting can be fun!

There’s a phrase for someone who does that: “Esso Asso”
Can anyone name the source of that?

In some jurisdictions (and it would depend upon your local state law and/or city ordinance) it is illegal to drive over private property in order to avoid stopping at a traffic signal and/or sign. Illinois, I know, has such a law. I don’t remember seeing a similar law where I live now, SC. So, it varies from state to state.

IDEA -

Certainly we can all agree that there is no prohibition against USING a gas station and then exiting on a cross street.

Now, let’s say I pull into a station that has several trash cans-available to the public- near the gas pumps. I quickly deposit a random piece of garbage from the floor of my car-of which I have an ample supply for just such an occasion- into the trash, exit at the cross street, and I’m on my way.

Perfectly legal, no?

I live in central New York and you will get ticket for it. I believe it is called “avoiding a traffic control device.”

I believe that’s how it goes for NYS too. I think you are in the clear if you use the facilities as you described.

maybe but if the whole plan was to avoid wasting the time it took to sit through the light and wait your turn, you’ll need to add in the time it takes you to locate and pause by the trash recepticle, toss the refuse, then explain all of this to the LEO who just pulled you over.

I live in New York State as well, and Junchbailey nailed it.

There is an intersection a couple of blocks from my house where the side street comes in at a very sharp angle. It was very difficult to execute a right-hand turn from that side street on to the main thoroughfare without swerving into oncoming traffic, so a lot of drivers cut through the parking lot of the convenience store located in the “wedge.” A lot of them got tickets for “evading a traffic control device.” I’m convinced that the police waited in the parking lot across the street just to catch people doing that.

The town answered hundreds of complaints by laying down a curved ramp thingy across the “wedge” for right turns only and installing a Yield sign.

This is obviously a different situation from “I just don’t want to wait for the light,” but it’s still a definite no-no.

In some parts of my town (residential areas close to busy areas) you’ll get a ticket if you turn into them at certain times during the day… they don’t want the extra traffic from people cutting through neiborhoods to get around the long lines.

It’s a Rich Hall sniglet.

IIRC, it is illegal to do such a manuever in Colorado too.

So skimming over the other posts, it’s illegal.

If you are in that much of hurry, I suggest leaving earlier.

I can’t count the number of times I cut through corner parking lots to get around traffic lights when I was a delivery driver (the most common one was a bank, not a gas station). Of course, nearly everything I did while I was a delivery driver was illegal.

The solution to this problem is simple: Move to Canada. We can turn right on red today and every which day after. Come on up, the weather is fine!

Jimpatro:

Howzat? that is the kind of thinking that will get you in trouble in my neck of the woods.

Just to add another data point, I believe this is illegal in New Jersey too - I seem to recall it from my drivers handbook.

As far as Surreal’s idea goes, I can say that I have put a similar strategy into practice.

In Fort Lee, New Jersey, there are certain intersections where turns are prohibited in the mornings. (Fort Lee is on the New Jersey side of the George Wahshington Bridge to Manhattan) And for various reasons relating to 9/11, traffic can get really bad.

So it can actually save a little time and aggravation to pull into a parking lot, park, go into a store, buy something or whatever, leave, and continue on your way.