Cockroach Death

Cecil:

You are slipping on the borax.
Since cost and deadliness are not barriers and cockroaches are known to have survived nuclear bomb tests, I recommend freezing their little tushes off. Although I find many varieties of cockroaches in the South, I never find them in my tent when I sleep in the snowbanks from Bemidji to Glacier National Park, even in fresh snow on Fourteeners in Colorado or at Tharps Log in Sequoia National Park. Therefore, I recommend the use of liquid nitrogen or inhabiting the tundra to freeze the pests out of comfortable cohabitation.

Snowbum in Wisconsin

I’m assuming this is in reference to What’s the best way to kill cockroaches?.

I’ll bet you a nickel the Tharps Log “house” has roaches. It has people visiting, it has dropped food crumbs–it has roaches.

Ranger1959 is right in saying cold can also be the death of roaches:

Can also use heat, according to the page.

I gonna offer a special sale on flamethrowers as effective roach-killers.

I guess this also means that if Batman’s enemy Mr Freeze wants to get an honest job, he could start an exterminator service.

Yeah borax is cool unless you have pets or kids. I have both. What to do?
Answer - Roach Bomb (things have improved slightly since 1983) or Biological Warfare.

Today’s roach bomb only requires evacuation for two hours (instead of days) and is an aerosol rather than ignited (yes, I know the ozone layer doesn’t like this stuff, but I think I’d prefer a slightly larger hole over Antarctica and the @$#*!! cockroaches DEAD!!) Just make sure you wipe down food preparation surfaces afterwards.

Biological warfare is quite effective, too - and it works not only on roaches, but house flies, mosquitoes and moths as well. Simply invite a few spiders to stay. Unless they are funnel webs, redbacks, black widows or tarantulas, spiders are harmless and damn good FREE pest controllers.

My French neighbor, who lived next to me in a place that was one fart away from a flophouse, swore by chopped-up hedge apples (the fruit of Osage Orange) placed in roach entry and exitways. It also helped to threaten the landlord with legal action.

Dear Cecil,

I’m a firm believer in the saying ‘the only good cockroach is a dead cockroach’ and I can’t think of a better and more effective way of killing them than using the old slipper with a good strong sole. What is required is the stalking powers of a cheetah and the supple wrist of a fencer. It’s all in the wrist and the timing. If you smack them with the flat of the sole, you’ll hear a short sharp sound caused by the crushing of their shell. A house full of cockroaches can provide hours of entertainment on a rainy day when you’ve run out of money to go to a bar or to the movies or if the girlfriend has walked out because of the cockroaches. If you have kids around the house, you could even make up some game to keep them occupied, where the person who comes back with most cockroaches wins an icecream. Gets rid of the roaches and keeps the kids out of trouble.

George.
Melbourne.

Okay, we’re now fully prepared to eradicate Opus’ little tormentor. What do we do to get rid of the damn body lice brought to the building courtesy of the nasty, filthy, don’t-know-what-either-soap-or-water-is next-door neighbours? FTR: this happened back in 1981 and it got pretty durned cold in Mannheim, Germany.

Continue with your delusions, people, you’ll keep me (and Cecil) in business for a long time.

Boric acid is the best way to deal with roaches, bar none. In fact, the active ingredient in the baiting gels I use professionally is…orthoboric acid.

Sprays can be effective, but there are a couple catches.

First, they usually contain a flushing agent, which irritates the roaches and causes them to scatter. Unless you’re prepared to treat every single crack and crevice in your abode with spray, any roaches that survive will take up residence in an untreated area and continue to plague you.

Second, roaches have the charming habit of dropping an egg case (if they’re carrying one) when they are hit with spray. Thus, with sprays and “bombs” (Great snakes, chunda21, what were you thinking?!) you may not see any roaches for a while, but since egg cases hatch in about 30 days, you will be seeing more of your little friends presently.

Since roaches must eat, baits are extremely effective, if they are placed properly. Cecil neglected to mention the undersides of the countertops. These cracks and crevices are where roaches hide, congregate, fornicate, etc. Another added bonus of baits is the fact that roaches are cannibalistic, and will eat a dead roach if they come across one. If the roach was killed with boric acid bait, well, you figure it out.

Treating the areas mentioned, as well as increasing sanitation to reduce competitive food sources, will work well if done on a regular basis. Check for the following re sanitation: covered garbage pail, not leaving dirty dishes and crumbs around, not letting grease accumulate on countertops, walls, range hoods, etc. Ninety percent of effective pest control is good sanitation.

If you have a habit of collecting paper or plastic bags in a cabinet, get rid of them. Roaches love to hide in that stuff. Find a better way to store your bags if you feel you must, and keep them out of dark places, like in the sink cabinet.

Baits are the best method, and should be applied judiciously to cracks and crevices, not, to paraphrase the master, “a foot deep.” I assume he was being facetious. Pets and children are not likely to be exposed to baiting gel or powder that is in a crack on the underside of the kitchen sink.

Remember, when using pesticides, two things come into play, toxicity and hazard. Toxicity is what it is, and even the most skillful application cannot change it. Hazard is entirely in the hands of the applicator, and can be reduced or eliminated with judicious application methods.

My sister lived in university housing during her junior year in college. She had a roach problem, and she discovered very quickly a way to reduce it significantly.

She moved her pet kitten in.

As a former pest control operator, I have a great deal of experience treating roach infestations. Treating roach infestations greatly depends on which species has invaded your home–Oriental? Brown banded? American? German? I would suggest a victim identify the roach before proceeding to treatment. Smaller infestations can be treated with traditional chemical methods, but larger cases require a tactical approach. The rule of thumb is to stand where you spotted the invader and hold your arms straight out. This is the area you will want to concentrate your efforts. Normally momma roaches do not forage far from the nest when she has little ones. Roaches prefer “cracks and crevices” where their tops and bottoms come in contact with a surface. These areas make even better breeding grounds if there is a moisture source nearby (i.e. leaky faucets, plumbing). I have found the best treatment method is to, first of all, make sure the area is clean. Secondly, find a bait syringe in your local hardware store and hit every nook n’ cranny. Be liberal with your application because roaches are notorious for building resistances-hit them with everything you have the first time. Last, but not least, try to find a bait with an IGR (insect growth regulator). These prevent the roaches from maturing by preventing molting and sterlizing young critters. Your best weapon is information–get as much as you can! Good luck with your houseguests!

I’ve always heard that the best way to get rid of cockroaches is to stand of the middle of the room and ask them all for a long-term committment. The male cockroaches will flee the scene in horror, and the rest of the colony will die thereafter from a lack of male breeding stock.

Why get rid of the roaches? A little butter and lemon and they are actually quite tasty…

re: Roaches - proven effective methods

Several years ago my family took up residence in a home that had been vacant for several years. The first night I turned on the Kitchen light on my way to the potty in the middle of the night. The snake scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind. The Floor could not be seen under the scurrying horde of all types and descriptions. It was clear drastic measures were called for. After trying a few of the chemical solutions mentioned previously I had what proved to be a worthwhile notion. Brand new duct tape is quite sticky and yet can be easily unrolled, sticky side up, in long strips where walls meet floor or in counterspaces each evening before retiring. In the morning, fold over the strips of masses of roaches caught doing pushups and dispose. Repeat as needed. This most severe of infestations took about a month, but except for the mopping up was mostly over after about a week. Yet more evidence that our society is held together with duct tape.

One last thing about killing roaches. As someone else said, the best products are the ones that contain insect growth regulator. Black Flag Roach Ender (hope brand names are allowed) used to be my fave, but I haven’t been able to find it in years, so I suspect it must have been bought out. It worked like a charm in my last apartment. After a month or so, I saw a few immature nympths with deformed wings, and then nothing for almost a year.

Something else I read about trying to use instead of borax, is a substance you can get at some greenhouse suppliers, called diatomaceous earth. This is soil containing a high concentration of diatoms, the slicaceous skeletons of small sea creatures. These are supposed to cause micro-scratches in the bugs exoskeletons, which lead to infection and death. Insect cannibalism takes care of the rest, and this stuff is less toxic.

Tarantulas are harmless. OK, their bite is painful, but it can’t kill.

On the other hand, the Southern United States is home to the Brown Recluse Spider. The bite of the Brown Recluse kills all the tissue is a several-centimeters-across radius around the area of the bite. It is very painful; and occasionally life threatening, mostly due to gangrenous infections in the bitten area. If bitten by a Brown Recluse, seek medical assistance immediately. Surgical removal of the effected tissue is often needed.

Do not use the “biological” approach in the South. Go Black Flag. :slight_smile:

Cockroach Death

12Bravo references using an IRG (insect growth regulator).

About 20 years or go or so I used an IRG product that was sold to consumers and heavily advertised on TV. Does anyone remember the product or company? After trying borax and other chemicals including regular treatment by an exterminator I bought and used the product for a month. The CR’s grew weirdly and struggled about with all size shape wings and legs. Then they were gone since they were apparently sterilized also. Several years later this product disappeared from the market (and cynic as I am) for probably being too effective. Does anyone know what happened to this product , why it was taken off the market or what its chemical name is. JaymesD

**DAVEW0071 wrote:

Boric acid is the best way to deal with roaches, bar none. In fact, the active ingredient in the baiting gels I use professionally is…orthoboric acid. **

Okay… what is it about boric acid that kills them? Does it do it chemically or some other way?

I’ve heard that borax crystals (when roaches crawl over them) scrape thru the waxy covering of their exoskeleton. This allows the moisture in their body to drain away and they dessicate. Any truth to this?

Down south we take the boric acid a bit further and make it very appetizing to our flying friends …

2 cups borax or boric acid
2 cups self rising flour
enough old bacon grease or leftover oil you’ve fried fish in to form dough balls with the above dry ingredients

Form into half dollar sized balls of dough and place on tin foil squares through out your kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, closet floors, etc. Usual disclaimer to keep out of children and pets territory.

These kill the roaches within a month and last for 6-9 months.

JaymesD - the name of the product you’re referring to is Bengal - the original formula was instantly effective in killing all sorts of bugs. They took it off of the market for quite some time and reintroduced a new formula using the same Bengal name - the second formula is good, but not nearly as effective as the first … I’ve forgotten the name of the missing active ingredient.

Cherie

I’m a property manager by trade, and several of the buildings under my care were completely infested with roaches. We tried all the old standbys - bombs, pastes, and sprays that have probably been banned in most industrialized countries. No matter what we did, they always came back in seemingly greater numbers. Then we received a call to attend a pest control seminar.

The presenter assured us that with their new compound, they could clear up our cockroach problem in six to eight months. Everyone chuckled for several moments, revealing tales of buildings that had been overrun for decades. The presenter continued undaunted, and upped the ante - their product was so successful, that they guaranteed that they could have our buildings roach free after a year (I believe there was even talk of a money back guarantee, but I can’t be sure).

Well, the treatments began, and within 8 months, we had gone from twenty sprayings a month in our highrise, to none. It has now been over two years, and nary a roach has been seen (the building is treated once a year to ensure that any roaches that could be imported don’t get a chance to repopulate the place).

Imagine my horror when I discovered that our government has decided not to renew the company’s license in Canada. I am much less than impressed. Hopefully there’s something else in the wings or we’ll have to start a black market.

So if you have a problem, and know what kind of roach you are dealing with (I believe this preparation works best with German cockroaches), call your pest control company.

P.S. The stuff is called Max Force Gel, is non-toxic to humans, and you don’t even have to leave the room while the treatment takes place. Good luck!