Govt. Bugs

Dear Cecil,

Recently while reading about the arrest of Louisiana's governor, I couldn't help wonder why someone with a history of being investigated by the FBI, and with some sort of security force of his own, wouldn't search for the bugs and other listening devices that helped land him is his present situation. This then led me to wonder, what if one does find government listening devices in their house or car. Can they rip them out and smash them with a hammer, or are these, I assume expensive, items protected by laws that would prevent someone from destroying them, or otherwise tampering with them.

Scott, New York

How are you supposed to know who put the surveillance device in? I would assume you could just take it out. I doubt that the FBI puts a “Property of FBI” sticker on its listening devices.

I would think that if A) your shenanigans were shady enough for the FBI et al to put a bug on you and B) you found out that they were on to you (by finding said bug) than C) whether or not to crush the critter would be the least of your concerns. Than again, didn’t they get Capone for tax evasion?

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right…

From what I’ve read, you can buy sweeping equipment from various ‘spy’ catalogs that run a broad frequency spectrum and identify bugs via ‘feedback’.

Having identified the bug, sure you can destroy it, but one usually leaves it in place. After all, you’d want the FBI to think you don’t know about it and simply not let them hear anything good. If you destroy it, that just invites them to place them more carefully next time.

A better way to do it is to feed the listeners false information, then check to see if it gets followed up (i.e. I’ll send the illegal guns/ drugs to this location) and see if anyone else shows up at that place. That’s a good way to really check if something fishy is going on.