Egg Nog

Seriously, why isn’t Egg Nog available year round? Does anyone have a good Egg Nog recipe? I love the stuff!

With God as my witness, I thought turkey’s could fly.

It isn’t available all year because too many people see it as a seasonal drink and would not choose to buy it, therefore, few dairies produce it.

Any decent cookbook (Joy of Cooking, Fannie Farmer, perhaps Betty Crocker) should have at least one egg nog recipe.

I, for one, would gladly purchase Egg Nog year-round if it were available. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t think so… Maybe only in cold cliimates it would work, but still… I miss my Nog.

Yer pal,
Satan

satan -
we’ve got a 1/2 gallon in our dorm fridge left over from before xmas break. unopened, even. you can have it if you want.

ellis

I love eggnog too. I think Ensure makes an eggnog flavor drink you can get year round.

WECOLME TO THE NEW MILLENIUM!, now go home. :rolleyes:

Why not make it? It’s pretty easy to do.

Check out: What’s the origin of egg nog?
[Note: This message has been edited by CKDextHavn]

I think I saw a brand of canned eggnog. Stock up your unused Y2K bunker with the stuff when it’s on sale.

Come let us go, I’ve a cask of amontillado.

Individual egg nog:

1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. powdered sugar
2 oz. rum (preferably dark rum)
4-6 oz. milk
ice cubes

Shake or stir vigorously, and strain into a chilled highball glass. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg.

You can use almost any liquor – brandy, applejack, gin. The traditional spirits are brandy and rum and, as of the 20th century, whiskey.

Uke

You might want to try a liquor store. When my mother was ill, the doctor recommended egg nog as a way for her to gain weight. He told me to go to any liquor store (this was on Staten Island NY). I did and they had cans and bottles of the stuff in July.

I saw some Thanksgiving cooking show on the Food Channel and the chef said in an eggnog emergency she melts a gallon of vanilla ice cream, puts in a little rum and nutmeg, and there ya go.

Why is the eggnog at the store so thick? It’s like really thick. I can’t think of a reason why it should be so thick either.

That’s the recipe! BTW in my area the thicker Egg Nog is referred to as “premium” but I find it too think. However, cutting it with some 2% milk makes it thinner and smoother.

With God as my witness, I thought turkey’s could fly.

Egg Nog cannot possibly BE too thick!

Yer pal,
Satan

Eggnog in the summer - reminds me of the Coke campaign in the late 80’s called “Coke in the Morning” and they had half price single Cokes at all the Food Marts, Gas Stations, etc. That one died pretty quickly (in MN at least).

I can just see it now, a bunch of guys sitting around the pool with cups of Eggnog, a big punchbowl filled with Eggnog on the table - call me crazy but that doesn’t sound like a recipe for much repeat business.

(but then, if a shell company were to own an Eggnog business AND a funeral home…). excuse the pun, btw… :slight_smile:

Must be the only way you can get people to eat raw eggs. eww.

Do I have to pay extra for the salmonella, or does it come free?

It doesn’t have to be raw, I always cook mine. I’ve never tried the stuff from the store…doesn’t seem like the sort of thing you’d want to drink out of a cardboard box. That would have to rate right up there with cranberry sauce that has rings from the can. Yuck! I’ve got a pretty good recipe if anyone wants it.

From the fallacy department:

“It isn’t available all year because too many people see it as a seasonal drink and would not choose to buy it, therefore, few dairies produce it.”

What we have here (in addition to dreadful punctuation) is a chicken-egg (nog) problem.

Neenah what is the receipe? I have never had a homemade that is as good as store bought.

Also the eggs in nog are pasturized (sp?) so they are safe.