The SDMB Equation Analysis Test

While going through a bunch of files on my computer just now, I came across two documents: Equation Analysis Test I and II. I found these online, but forgot where. They’re fun little puzzles that could perhap drive some people crazy. Here’s an example of how it runs. I give you something like this:

**26 = L. of the A. **

Your job is to figure out what the L and the A stand for. The answer to this particular “equation” would be 26 = Letters of the alphabet. As it turns out, I have a whole slew of 'em and thought I’d drive you all crazy with these for a few days. Good luck, you’re gonna need it…

[list=1][li]7 = W. of the A.W.[/li][li]1,001 = A.N.[/li][li]12 = S. of the Z.[/li][li]54 = C. in the D. (with the J.)[/li][li]9 = P. in the S.S.[/li][li]13 = S. on the A.F.[/li][li]32 = D.F at which W.F.[/li][li]18 = H. on a G.C.[/li][li]90 = D. in a R.A.[/li][li]8 = S. on a S.S.[/li][li]24 = H. in a D.[/li][li]57 = H.V.[/li][li]1,000 = W. that a P. is W.[/li][li]29 = D. in F. in a L.Y.[/li][li]40 = D. and N. of the G.F.[/li][li]64 = S. in a C.[/li][li]7 = Y. of B.L. for B. a M.[/li][li]6 = S. on a G.[/li][li]18 ½ = M.E. from the W.T.[/li][li]6 = P. on a P.T.[/li][li]5 = T. on a C. (including the S. in the T.)[/li][li]88 = P.K.[/li][li]50 = S. on the A.F.[/li][li]200 = D. for P.G. in M.[/li][li]3 = B.M. (S.H. they R.!)[/li][li]4 = Q. in a G.[/li][li]5 = D. in a Z.C.[/li][li]11 = P. on a F.T.[/li][li]10 = L.I.[/li][li]2,000 = P. in a T.[/li][li]76 = T. that L. the B.P.[/li][li]3 = L.K. that L.T.M.[/li][li]1 = R.A. in E.B.[/li][li]66 = B. of the B. (in the K.J.V.)[/li][li]9 = J. of the S.C.[/li][li]10 = D. in a T.N. (including the A.C.)[/li][li]7 = D. with S.W.[/li][li]30 = S. over T.[/li][li]3 = S.Y.O. at the O.B.G.[/li][li]5 = F. on a H.[/li][li]16 = O. in a P.[/li][li]7 = D.S.[/list=1][/li]And I probably should ask you to not look for the answers on the internet. See you in a few days…

I can get 8 out of the first 10
1-7 Wonders of the Ancient World
2-1001 Arabian Nights
3-12 Signs of the Zodiac
4-54 Cards in a Deck (with the Joker)
5-9 Planets in the Solar System
7-32 Degrees Fahrenheit at which Water Freezes
9-90 Degrees in a Right Angle

oops
10-8 sides on a stop sign

1. 13 stripes on the American flag
  2. 18 holes on a golf course
  3. 24 hours in a day
  4. 57 Heinz varieties
  5. 1000 words that a picture is worth
  6. 29 days in February in a leap year
  7. 40 days and nights of the Great Flood
  8. 7 years of bad luck for breaking a mirror
  9. 88 piano keys
  10. 50 stars on the American flag
  1. 24 = Hours in a Day
  2. 57 = Heinz Varieties
  3. 29 = Days in February in a Leap Year
  4. 3 = Blind Mice (See How They Run!)

So far so good… I’m predicting you’re going to have a hard time with number 19.

1. 24 Hours in a Day
  2. 57 Heinz Variety
  3. 29 Days in February in a Leap Year
  4. ?? 40 Days and Nights of the Great Flood?
  1. 3 Blind Mice (See How they Run!)
  2. 4 Quarts in a Gallon
  3. 2000 Pounds in a Ton
  4. 66 Books of the Bible in the King James Version
  1. 5 digits in a zip code
  2. 76 trombones that led the big parade
  3. 9 justices of the Supreme Court
  4. 30 Seconds over Tokyo
  5. 3 strikes you’re out at the old ball game
  6. 5 fingers on a hand
  7. 16 ounces in a pound
  8. 7 deadly sins
  1. 16 Ounces in a Pound.
  1. 64 Squares in a Chessboard
  2. 200 Dollars for Passing Go in Monopoly
  3. 11 Players on a Football (soccer) Team
  4. 2000 Perforations in a Teabag

And…
29. 10 Little Indians

2000 Pounds in a Ton

18 1/2 = Minutes Erased from the Watergate Tapes

:smiley:

Nice, Taran

That is so cheating! You bad person, Yo La Tengo!

1. 3 little kittens that lost their mittens

Only 7 left:
18-6 = S. on a G.
20-6 = P. on a P.T.
21-5 = T. on a C. (including the S. in the T.)
32-3 = L.K. that L.T.M.
33-1 = R.A. in E.B.
36-10 = D. in a T.N. (including the A.C.)
37-7 = D. with S.W.

1. 6 strings on a guitar
  2. 6 pockets on a pool table
  3. 88 piano keys
  4. 10 digits in a telephone number (including the area code)
  5. 7 dwarfs with snow white?

I believe these are the only two left unaccounted for:

1. 5 Tires on a Car (including the Spare in the Trunk)
  2. 1 Rotten Apple in Every Barrel

I got all of them (even #19), except for #31, “76 Trombones that Led the Big Parade”, which I’m glad I gave up on, 'cause I never would have gotten it in a million billion years, because I’ve never heard of that song. (I assume it’s a song of some kind.)

Also, it seems like #16 would be more natural as “64 S. on a C.”, or do I still not have that one right? (I’m assuming it is “64 squares in a Checkerboard” or “Chessboard”.)

[ol]
[li]7 = W. of the A.W. Wonders of the Ancient World[/li][li]1,001 = A.N. Arabian Nights[/li][li]12 = S. of the Z. Signs of the Zodiac[/li][li]54 = C. in the D. (with the J.) Cards in the Deck (with the Jokers)[/li][li]9 = P. in the S.S. Planets in the Solar System[/li][li]13 = S. on the A.F. Stripes on the American Flag[/li][li]32 = D.F at which W.F. Degrees Fahrenheit at which Water Freezes[/li][li]18 = H. on a G.C. Holes on a Golf Course[/li][li]90 = D. in a R.A. Degrees in a Right Angle[/li][li]8 = S. on a S.S. Sides on a Stop Sign[/li][li]24 = H. in a D. Hours in a Day[/li][li]57 = H.V. Heinz Varieties[/li][li]1,000 = W. that a P. is W. Words that a Picture is Worth[/li][li]29 = D. in F. in a L.Y. Days in February in a Leap Year[/li][li]40 = D. and N. of the G.F. Days and Nights of the Great Flood[/li][li]64 = S. in a C. Squares in a Checkerboard[/li][li]7 = Y. of B.L. for B. a M. Years of Bad Luck for Breaking a Mirror[/li][li]6 = S. on a G. Strings on a Guitar[/li][li]18 ½ = M.E. from the W.T. Minutes Erased from the Watergate Tape[/li][li]6 = P. on a P.T. Pockets on a Pool Table[/li][li]5 = T. on a C. (including the S. in the T.) Tires on a Car (including the Spare in the Trunk)[/li][li]88 = P.K. Piano Keys[/li][li]50 = S. on the A.F. Stars on the American Flag[/li][li]200 = D. for P.G. in M. Dollars for Passing Go in Monopoly[/li][li]3 = B.M. (S.H. they R.!) Blind Mice (See How they Run!)[/li][li]4 = Q. in a G. Quarts in a Gallon[/li][li]5 = D. in a Z.C. Digits in a Zip Code[/li][li]11 = P. on a F.T. Players on a Football Team[/li][li]10 = L.I. Little Indians[/li][li]2,000 = P. in a T. Pounds in a Ton[/li][li]76 = T. that L. the B.P. [/li][li]3 = L.K. that L.T.M. Little Kittens that Lost Their Mittens[/li][li]1 = R.A. in E.B. Rotten Apple in Every Barrel[/li][li]66 = B. of the B. (in the K.J.V.) Books of the Bible (in the King James Version)[/li][li]9 = J. of the S.C. Justices of the Supreme Court[/li][li]10 = D. in a T.N. (including the A.C.) Digits in a Telephone Number (including the Area Code)[/li][li]7 = D. with S.W. Dwarves with Snow White[/li][li]30 = S. over T. Seconds over Tokyo[/li][li]3 = S.Y.O. at the O.B.G. Strikes You’re Out at the Old Ball Game[/li][li]5 = F. on a H. Fingers on a Hand[/li][li]16 = O. in a P. Ounces in a Pound[/li][li]7 = D.S. Deadly Sins[/li][/ol]