3.5 Floppy Hangs/Data Error

1)cyclic redundancy check on floppy drive

I use the free-nets available at the public libraries here. The user terminals run on Windows NT and are connected to another server. Some Novell software is installed to protect/implement the user interface. Although I have limited access to the functionality of the Netscape interface and the Windows95/nt user interface, I am able
to use a floppy disk to download gif files and to bookmark pages off the 'Net. Last night I attempted to delete a bookmarked page from my floppy and now when I attempt to open the A:\ drive (the same floppy) to access my bookmarked pages, I get a warning box with the message “A:\ is not accessible. data error: (cyclic redundancy check)” . As I have many many bookmarked pagess as well as my resume on this disk, I either need to save the disk itself and/or reconstruct the files. I would appreciate any help in this regard. I
am fairly computer literate but have no system that I can call my own.
2)Another new twist. I started a new bookmarked pages disk with a new disk of course and the bookmarked page icon was the
Nestscape Navigator. I inserted said disk into another system at a different public library and now all my bookmarks are IE and calls up IE when I double click on the icon. I guess I will have to start from scratch.

Please help. :confused:

Anybody want to see what the english-to babelfish-to english translation of this is?

Rule #1 - Everytime you place a floppy disk into a drive you get dirt on your floppy from everyone who ever stuck anything into that floppy drive.

Rule #2 - Don’t use a floppy for anything you want to keep. It isn’t a matter of “if” you will lose data but “when”. Sounds like the “when” is now.

Rule #3 - Never hire anyone who places the only existing copy of their resume on a floppy disk.

This sig not Y2K compliant. Happy 1900.

I don’t know about #2, but for #1 I would try locating a machine that has Norton Utilities; that software has saved me from many floppy CRC errors. Probably any place that repairs computers will have it, and if they charge you $5 or so, it’s probably worth it versus losing your data. Also, I do transfer data around on floppies and long ago got in the habit of using two redundant floppies as a precaution against data loss.

Good luck!

tbea925 states:<br>

Uhhh. Gee. Thanks. I have 92.5 units of computer science and mathematics at the juniour college level. I claim only to be a victim of circumstance. :rolleyes:

Can we go deeper into what a CRC error is beatle?

Here’s a link.
http://www.acius.com/ACIDOC/CMU/CMU79909.HTM

In other words a checksum error. Something in your files was corrupted during the last write function. Always keep at least one copy of important data around, try for two.

Copy the disk and try different repair utilities on the copies. I doubt this is recoverable since the good file was writen over by a corrupted version. It’s not the same as if the file had been deleted, and only the FAT reference removed, leaving the file intact on the disk.

Use the search engines for the term for more information.

I’m only your wildest fear, from the corners of your darkest thoughts.

Public access computers are loaded with viruses. Probably got one on your floppy.

Except for only opens with IE…that one you could ask Netscape to import bookmarks, I guess…

Thanks for the link. Any chance that the Windows95/98 utilities scan disk and/or disk defragmenter will help me? I would like to reconstruct my files one way or another. I have another copy of my resume at the freee-for-all computer at the computer lab at night school. But the last time I checked it was at least 18 mos. ago. :o

Do not use Defragmenter! That will rearrange the sectors the files are stored on. You will never recover after that.

Try to use Disk Copy to make an exact copy of the disk.

Use Scandisk on the copy. You might get lucky, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Nothing else will repair the original disk, once you try and fail to repair the disk.

I’m only your wildest fear, from the corners of your darkest thoughts.

Used scan disk and discovered that there are 3072 bytes in bad sectors. That would make 6 bad sectors. Otherwise I am drawing blanks on the Norton/tech solution. However the disk is only partially full as 1 meg still remains untouched. And I just remembered that the bulk of my 'Net gif files are also lost on the suspect disk. Seriously guys, can you provide me with further guidance? :confused:

“What’s right is only half of what’s wrong
and I want a short-haired girl
Who sometimes wears it twice as long”
George Harrison - Old Brown Shoe

This happens to me all the time because I never buy new floppies, I recyle old ones.

My suggestions:

1. When you have a troublesome floppy (regardless of what error message you receive), run Scandisk. Regardless of what it reports, tell Scandisk to continue with a surface scan. If it finds bad sectors, click on “More Info” and it will tell you which file, if any, was corrupted because it stored data in the bad sector. Write down the name of the file. Scandisk will then ask you if it should try to fix the problem by (a) trying to salvage the data by moving it to a good sector and (b) marking the bad sector as bad (so that no computer will write data in the bad sector in the future).

2. When Scandisk has finished scanning the entire disk surface and tried to fix all the errors, look at the list of corrupted files you wrote down and kiss them goodbye. (Actually, you can try to read or use the “fixed” files but in my experience they are usually damaged beyond simple repair. If they are really, really important, you could try to get an expert to salvage them using Norton Untilities.)

3. In the future:

(a) Before putting important data on a floppy, run Scandisk with surface scan (takes a few minutes)to verify that the disk is good. If Scandisk finds bad sectors and marks them, you can still use the disk, but its capacity will be reduced and you can expect more bad sectors to develop over time.
(If Scandisk does not find bad sectors, the disks capacity is not reduced and you can expect bad sectors to develop over time.)

(b) If the files are important, use two floppies and make duplicate copies.

© When you put the disks in your computer, scan them for viruses before you do anything else.

And that’s about **all[/] that I use. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

“What’s right is only half of what’s wrong
and I want a short-haired girl
Who sometimes wears it twice as long”
George Harrison - Old Brown Shoe