How can I thicken up store-bought spaghetti sauce?

Okay, so it’s not a mind-blowing, life-altering question like most of the ones posted in this forum. But there are clear-cut answers for this.

When I buy a jar of spaghetti sauce, it is always too runny/watered down upon cooking. How can I thicken it up using common household foods?

Add tomato paste to thicken it. Add some garlic powder, oregano, salt, and sugar to boost the flavor.

Buy Prego instead of Ragu or whatever and you’ll avoid the problem in the first place.

My girlfriend achieves this by adding breadcrumbs…tastes pretty good.

Well, you could add tomato paste to it. That would thicken it up.

Or, use the goodfella’s method: Add a clove or ten of garlic, a couple of onions, a couple of peppers, every spice on the rack, and a can of sauce. One big can.

Carrot shavings will thicken it slightly while also giving it a pleasant sweetness. SMALL amounts of flour stirred in will help as well.

My grandma used to toss a whole slice of white bread on the sauce, which I found to be pretty unpleasent. Tasted fine, but if you got a big hunk the texture would put you off.

The easiest way is to keep the cover off, some of the water will boil off.

You could stir a tablespoon of cornstarch into it before heating. The cornstarch will thicken the sauce when it boils. Or, you could add the cornstarch as a suspension in 1/4 cup water just as you are done cooking. That way the sauce stays thin until you’re ready to serve it up. Stirring a can of tomato paste in at the last moment is another way to give storebought sauce some body. Adding dried mushroom while cooking will also soak up excess liquid.

Tomato paste
Simmer long time
Add tablespoon of olive oil
Add meat

These are all the reasons a good italian sauce (aka gravy) will thicken.

During a hiking trip I boiled down a jar of sauce so it fit into a maybe 2 oz container (to make it lighter to carry and water is an easy thing to get in the woods). It made it into a very thick paste. I don’t remember how long it took but if you start boiling it it will thicken.

I second the “don’t buy cheap runny stuff” advice. Prego, eww. Try Barilla. Thick, with lots of nice chunks of mushrooms, garlic, onions or peppers – and no sugar added. Suitable for consumption heated and dumped over fresh-cooked pasta. No other preparations necessary (which I’m guessing is an important factor in the case of a bachelor).

Or, add tomato paste.

If you’re going to go through all this trouble, make your own sauce. I made a great sauce just the other day by frying up a bit of garlic (pre-chopped in a jar) and crushed red pepper flakes in olive oil and adding a can of drained, chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle on salt, pepper, oregano, basil and a touch of sugar.

You can do all that while your water is heating up, and cook down the sauce while the pasta cooks. Quick, cheap, easy , and it impresses the ladies.

For straight thickening, I do like the seasoned breadcrumbs, though it adds a distinctive texture if you use a lot.

I second the “don’t buy cheap runny stuff” advice. Prego, eww. Try Barilla. Thick, with lots of nice chunks of mushrooms, garlic, onions or peppers – and no sugar added. Suitable for consumption heated and dumped over fresh-cooked pasta. No other preparations necessary (which I’m guessing is an important factor in the case of a bachelor).

Or, add tomato paste.

If you’re not worried about your health I would add some grated parmesean. Thickens and cheese will never do you wrong.

You could also try making the sauce from scratch - there are recipes everywhere. Or just add some tomato pste - that works fine.

I often thicken sauces by adding half a handful of rolled oats; sounds really weird but it works a treat; it’s especially good if it’s a meaty sauce (like minced lamb in gravy for a shepherd’s pie).

Off to Cafe Society.

ONe of the best ways I have found to add a kind of meaty body to tomato sauce is to add finely diced egg plant. If you peel it first, it will kind of dissolve, and leave no discernible eggplant-like bits. I’ve successfully (and secretly) served it to committed eggplant haters, and they loved it.

If you just simmer the sauce with the lid off while the pasta water boils and pasta cooks it should thicken quite a bit.

A really great sauce right off the shelf is Frank’s. I don’t know if it’s available in the Fortress of Solitude, but it is available in My Own Private Idaho (aka Worcester, Ma.). It’s really the best sauce I’ve ever had out of a jar. If Frank’s isn’t available, I’d go with Barilla.

Ahhh…make that the Fortress of Solidude. My apologies.

Why is this in cafe society?

What does one do in a cafe? Eat?

Food and cooking topics are sent to live amongst the LOTR threads. Oops, gotta go, time for second breakfast!