The process of getting a Masters Degree

I know a few days ago there was a question on how you get a PhD and what you have to do. My question is, what kind of process do you have to go through to get a Masters degree. I would like to go into Library Science, and most LibSci degrees are masters degrees. Does it take years like with a PhD, or can you go full time for a year or two and earn it?
Thanks,
Ben

In the US 2 years if you are on the ball. Some schools have double masters in say, info science and art history, and that might take 3.

I’ve been looking into the same thing myself, and the one school I’ve talked to so far mentioned that it could be done in a year or two of full-time study, although I don’t know how feasible or common this is. If you want to go look at degree requirements and research schools specifically, here is a directory of ALA-accredited schools.

I am just starting (classes start tomorrow!) a Master’s program in Library and information science, and after orientation this past weekend, I feel ok with explaining the process, So here goes.
This program requires 42 credit hours for graduation. I am full time, and taking 9 hours this semester. If I take 9 hours each semester, plus the summer between years, it will take me 2 years to finish. This school also offers distance education - I’m not sure if that program takes the same amount of time, or if it’s slightly expanded because of more limited course offerings during each semester.

Along with classwork, I have to have a “culminating experience”. This could be a practicum, independent study or a thesis. If anything but the thesis is done as the culminating experience, there are also Comprehensive Examinations at the end of the two years.

This program can be very indivualized, depending on what area each person in into. I’m more into the corporate information management, others are into the teaching/school aspect of it. As long as each of us is aware of what information we want to take with us when we leave, we can tailor the program (working with our advisors) to suit our needs.

For the record, after orientation, I am aware that I am going to work harder during this school experience than I have ever worked in my life. I’m looking forward to it, yeah, but it’s going to be tough.

Congratulations to all of you would-be MLS holders on a excellent choice. :slight_smile:

renigademaster, be sure that you are aware that the vast majority of professional librarian jobs require ALA-certified MLS degrees (or MLIS, as some schools call them). So you’ll want to look carefully at the list lel links to.

The program I took was a 36-hour program and took me two years plus one semester. But, I was going to school part time, taking two classes a semester. I knew some folks who made it through in eighteen months going full time.

Oh, and don’t forget your GREs. You’ll probably need them, but that will depend on the school you pick.

Good luck!

It would also be useful to ask what the AVERAGE time to degree is, or, how many people finish in the time they say is possible. We have some disgruntled Master’s students here who were told, rightly, that it is possible to be through in a certain short amount of time. However, it only works if the program offers certain courses in the summer–and it varies some years. What is possible on paper is only practical with good planning and good luck. Many students who planned to be done in the minimal time are here longer than that.

I was able to complete my MLIS in three years–that was part time, included summers, and I took one semester off when I had my second child–oh, and I was working part-time at the time, too.

I’d been working in libraries for many years before I started the program and that made it so much easier. I was able to make work projects into homework assignments so I could get a lot done at work–this was a tremendous time saver and both my boss and I benefitted from the completed projects. Working in a library while going to library school has the added advantage of immediate practical application of everything you’re learning.