Question about the Space Shuttle

How fast would the Space Shuttle have to reverse-orbit the Earth to turn back time like Superman did? Does NASA plan to try this in the future? When?

They already did, I think it was tomorrow.

Please tell me this is a joke.

No, I am serious (not about NASA planning to do it, I don’t think they have the ability to do it yet) but I would really like to know how fast the Space Shuttle would have to go in reverse-orbit to casuse time to go backwards like in the Superman movie.

No, I am serious (not about NASA planning to do it, I don’t think they have the ability to do it yet) but I would really like to know how fast the Space Shuttle would have to go in reverse-orbit to cause time to go backwards like in the Superman movie.

Going in reverse orbit at any speed would have zero effect on the flow of time on the planet.

Okay, I know you’re still playing with us, but I’ll answer as if you’re serious anyway.

The fact that Supes was orbiting the Earth had nothing to do with his time travel, and which direction he went was likewise meaningless. The reason he travelled in time was that he was orbiting faster than the speed of light. It would have been the same if he’d done it in a straight line, but he wanted to stay near the planet. The visual in the movie of the Earth’s rotation slowing and reversing was just the moviemaker’s way of showing that Superman’s personal time was going backwards.

In real life, of course, you can’t accelerate past the speed of light. But Superman can do things that don’t happen in real life, as I’m sure you have seen.

Given that the Earth is made of chocolate, does it contain peanuts or almonds?

Oh, don’t forget about frame dragging (although I don’t think this would cause the direction of time to reverse).

Saltire Wrote:
"Okay, I know you’re still playing with us, but I’ll answer as if you’re serious anyway.

The fact that Supes was orbiting the Earth had nothing to do with his time travel, and which direction he went was likewise meaningless. The reason he travelled in time was that he was orbiting faster than the speed of light. It would have been the same if he’d done it in a straight line, but he wanted to stay near the planet. The visual in the movie of the Earth’s rotation slowing and reversing was just the moviemaker’s way of showing that Superman’s personal time was going backwards.

In real life, of course, you can’t accelerate past the speed of light. But Superman can do things that don’t happen in real life, as I’m sure you have seen."
I don’t think that a person can travel back in time, Superman clearly reversed the time of the entire world. I just want to know how he did it and if NASA can do it, I mean were do my taxes go?

“The visual in the movie of the Earth’s rotation slowing and reversing was just the moviemaker’s way of showing that Superman’s personal time was going backwards.”

Wrong, I can clearly hear the Earth slowing down and reversing its spin. How could the director fake that?

“… like Superman did?”

Ah, Superman is a comic book invention.

Sheeesh!

Hmmm, when does your fantasy world end and your reality world begin, bub? :smiley:

Remember that MASH episode when Klinger was out-kooked by a guy who showed up at the hospital? How the guy said “goodnight, Mr. Shoes, goodnight Mr. Socks”?

And then Klinger sort of rolled his eyes and let out a “wheeeew!”

That’s how I feel after reading this thread.

Kind of annoying that a troll like this can survive in GQ this many hours.

Does that explain it?

NASA is looking seriously into this Earth-reversal-timespinning thing.

It will cost taxpayers approximately $800 trillion.

See my page for Top Secret details.

I don’t appreciate everybody making fun of me, this is not the pit. I asked a serious question and would like an answer, not to be ridiculed. I truly believe time can be reversed with a reverse-orbit, if you do not please explain why, you don’t have to resort to making fun of me. There are many scientific ideas that were once thought of as crazy or stupid. I am willing to bet that if reverse-orbital time effects are perfected in our lifetime you will be the first to use this technology to erase your posts.

So can we focus on the questions in the OP.

There is no possible answer to the OP. Based on our current understanding of the universe, time travel is impossible. Of course, our understanding of the universe is incomplete so there may be a loophole. But if there is, we don’t know what it is so we still can’t answer your question. By “we” I mean anyone basing their answer on the generally accepted theories of physics - mostly Special and General Theories of Relativity.

Perhaps it would help if you explained your reasoning for why (you truly believe)it should work (or are you just assuming that it should until somebody can prove otherwise?).

Besides, what Superman did in that movie was not an orbit as such - it would not be possible for an object to remain in a natural orbit around the Earth at that speed.

Try here. Gene Ray can help.

There is absolutely no mechanism in physics that would cause time reversal of the planet by orbit at any speed in the reverse direction. Period.

There is the barest hint of it being possible to travel back in time by exceeding the speed of light. However, there is no hint of a way to actually exceed the speed of light in a vacuum. The only maybe, just barely not ruled out, way to effectively beat the speed of light is to take a shortcut though space by traveling though a worm hole or something similarly exotic. The mathematics of relativity allow for this. Creating a travelable wormhole would require matter with negative mass and/or other strange properties. There is no reason to believe that creating these necessary materials will ever be possible.

Time reversal orbits are pure fantasy and have no basis in reality. You heard it here first.

This line, on its own, paints you as a troll or irretrievably ignorant.

Please share with us even one piece of evidence that would lead you to this conclusion.