Healthiness of sodas vs natural juices

I came across the following on the Coca Cola website:

http://www2.coca-cola.com/ourcompany/prod_faq.html

Now, of course given the source, my propaganda detector is on full alert, but would they be allowed to out-and-out lie? Or are they just bending the truth? I can’t begin to imagine the quantity of lawyers Coca-Cola could bring to bear, but wouldn’t the FDA be all over them if this were patently false?

Is it really the case that as far as my body is concerned, there is no difference in the sugar obtained from a glass of Coca-Cola or a glass of natural juice? I know there are other important things in juices (vitamins etc.) but assuming my most important health goal is to drop a few pounds - am I better off drinking diet soda (practically zero calories) than fruit juices (lots of calories) ?

For years I’ve been trying hard to avoid sodas and drink juices instead(especially the “not from concentrate” ones), on the grounds that anything natural must be better for me than the bunch of chemicals one finds in sodas. But it now seems that I’d be better off quenching my thirst with a glass of diet soda than a calorie-laden glass of OJ?

I know the best thing is probably water, but I just can’t bring myself to drink large quantities of plain water - I always fall off the wagon sooner or later.

Or are they telling the truth? Note they’re not claiming that soda is healthier than juice; they’re just claiming it has a comparable amount of sugar. Nobody is equating low-Calorie with healthy except for you. The whole idea of natural vs. artificial is one I haven’t thought about much, but I would imagine that natural stuff would be better if your diet had a natural goal, ie, one you’d encounter in the wild. Losing weight wouldn’t be nearly as big a concern, and the fact that you made it your #1 concern suggests to me that natural is not what you are looking for.

The only thing that’s partly untrue in their response is the “It may surprise you…” phrase. Didn’t surprise me at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

According to this article on Diabetes Self-Management (another commercial site, but presumably not affiliated with a soft drink company):

Soft drinks are also sweetened with corn syrup, so there really isn’t a difference. The amount of sugar is listed on the packaging of all juices and soft drinks so you can do the comparison yourself. I have no reason to doubt Coca-Cola’s claim as quoted in the OP, and I’m not surprised at all. But as Achernar said, less sugar doesn’t necessarily mean more healty and Coca-Cola doesn’t claim otherwise.

Even if they have the same amount of calories, what makes juices better nutritionally is that they actually have nutritional value wheras soda does not.

It seems to me your answer is included in your question…

Yes.

Probably. Although there’s no reason you can’t drink some unsweetened fruit juice and some diet cola. Except that unsweetened fruit juices are hard to find, and generally most folks don’t enjoy them as much.

First of all, that “natural” stuff is also a “bunch of chemicals”. Plain water is a “chemical”. Second - OJ has plenty of calories, and if you drink quarts of it a day you will gain weight because you’ll be consuming more calories than you’re burning. From a calorie standpoint, it makes no difference whether the stuff was made by a green, growing plant or manufactured in a man-made chemical plant.

Try variety. There’s no reason you can’t have a diet soda or two in a day (that’s a real serving, not the 1 quart buckets available at fast-food outfits and 7/11). And some fruit juice to go with that. And some water.

You can also drink some coffee or tea, which, even if you add a spoon or two of sugar will still have less sugar than non-diet colas or yes, even fruit juice. If you like the flavor you can have unsweetened fruit juice, if you can find it, which will have fewer calories than the usual varieties. Or you could make it youself.

Also, you don’t have to drink sweetened fruit juice “straight”. Cranberry juice cocktails, for instance, I’ll dilute with water - either 1:1 water/juice or 2:1 water/juice. That cuts down on the sugar per serving, and increases your water intake. And some juices I prefer waterered down, you might, too. Homemade lemonade, which is generally 1 part lemon to 3 parts water, with some sweetener is lower calories than store-bought. Also, if you make it yourself you could substitute artificial sweetener if you choose.

Good luck with the weight loss attempt

Caffeine is evil. That is the bad part of soda. You should not be worried about drinking diet soda. Just stop drinking soda.
Next, you need to get off of your ass. Changing your diet alone is not enough…

I personally enjoy making fruit juice “spritzers”, which is 2-3 oz. fruit juice in 6-8 oz. sparkling water. This is refreshing, and to me, tastes a lot better than diet sodas, with way fewer calories than 8-10 oz. non-diet soda.

Seltzer’s another option. (It might be the same thing as sparkling water.) Seltzer is carbonated water with no sugar, no caffeine, just a little bit of flavoring. It’s probably a little less healthy than water, being acidic, but better than most beverages.

It’s not quite as boring as water. And it’s cheap.

Juices are almost as nutritionally empty as sodas. The trace amounts of vitamins and minerals they contain are quite trivial, and taking a single multi-vitamin tab would supply far more essential amines than most 16 oz. glasses of juice. Both beverages in question supply mostly simple carbohydrates, which sure pack on the pounds when consumed excessively, and have been implicated in the development of diabetes.

Frankly, both fruit juices and sodas should be seen as special treats, not as a daily part of a healthy diet.

Indeed. Much better to eat your fruit than to drink it.

(To both claims): Huh?!? Since when?

I’m also a little confused by Broomstick’s mention of “unsweetened fruit juices.” Tropicana orange juice (not from concentrate, unsweetened) contains 120 kcal per 240 mL. Coke contains 97 kcal per 240 mL.

What exactly are unsweetened fruit juices? Raw cranberry? :smiley:

I think Broomstick meant to say “sugar free” fruit juices.

How is it possible to get a “sugar free” fruit juice? Sounds to me like “fat-free” oil or “protein-free” steack…Do they remove in some way the sugar contained in the juice? What is left, then? Water and some natural flavour?

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know that for overall health that vitamins and minerals are important - but I’ve been hearing studies that show that obesity is right up there with cigarette smoking as a cause of premature death! Now, given that statistic, even though I’m not obese, I’m all about getting the pounds off - it seems to be the #1 thing I can do for my health.

Qadgop - that is pretty astonishing - a glass of OJ or apple juice seems so natural and so wholesome - can we consumers have really been so deceived by advertising? Why is it so much better to eat an orange or two, instead of drinking the equivalent amount of juice? Are most of the nutrients in the pith?

The benefit of the orange is from that old nice pulp. It has lots of good fiber to aid digestion, fill the stomach, and reduce the tendency to fill it with other, less healthy junk.

Besides, an orange or two would maybe give you 3 or 4 ounces of juice, along with the healthy fiber. People are getting used to knocking back 4 times that much with their bottled juices.

And yes, consumers have been and continue to be deceived by advertising. And frankly, fruits aren’t that nutritious. Mostly carbs, and vitamin C and fiber. All of which make delicious additions to recipes, and great desserts and treats, but shouldn’t be a staple diet. Not a lot of protein or fat, both of which are necessary in appropriate amounts.

Look, some fruit is good for us. We all should eat more fruit! The whole fruit! Not take the tasty juice and throw the rest away! It’s the old curse, “if a little bit is good for us, a lot is better”. Well, t’ain’t true, no matter what Minute Maid and Ocean Spray and Welch’s say to us.

Sorry, wasn’t entirely clear, was I? That’s what I get for posting at 5 am I guess.

Aside from orange juice (which I don’t drink, being allergic to oranges) - try to find unsweetened grapefruit juice. It’s possible, but it’s not the most heavily promoted. Read the label on apple juices, grape juices, and cranberry juices - they almost always have added sugar. In fact, I have never seen pure, unsweetened cranberry juice.

Anything with the term “cocktail” attached to it is almost garaunteed to have extra sugar.

So far as I know, however, there is no such thing as “sugar free” fruit juices - they all have sugars, either grown in the fruit or added later.

I do drink fruit juice with dinner instead of something with caffeine, but as I said, it’s usually diluted quite a bit. More like flavored water than what is normally thought of as juice - just a way to get more fluids into me, bascially. I don’t count it as a “fruit ration” for eating purposes.

Dole used to make a brand of unsweetened juice cocktails: “Pure ‘n’ Light,” maybe? I loved them, so, naturally, they quit producing them. It’s my fault again.

RR

Yes, they do.

What? You’ve never heard of fat free milk? Or sugar free ice cream?