Why is my cell phone echoing me?

Every once in a while, when I’m talking to someone on my cell, everything I say will be echoed back at me, about a second after I say it. It will start suddenly, then keep doing it for about a minute, then stop. This has only happened when talking to people on a regular (non-cellular) phone. It’s really annoying, and I want to know why it happens. I’m using a Kyocera 2135, and Verizon Wireless. What’s going on?

I’m not sure why but know it is common on multiple carriers. I know it it can be really distracting and make you sound like an idiot. What I do when this happens is hold the ear piece away from my ear while I’m talking. IF the other person starts talking when I’m talking I’ll miss that part but most people don’t do that anyway.

I get this sometimes when I’m calling overseas using a regular phone. I call it “satellite bounce”.

Try turning down the volume on your handset. I had the same problem with my AT&T phone. The problem is that when you have the volume on max, it mic picks up the sound of your voice in the “ear” section of the phone and you get the echo.

Take it down two or three “power bars” on the volume setting and it should stop.

At least that was my problem / solution.

Let me know if it helps.

That can also happen with land line phones if the signal goes up to a satellite. Since the satellites are in a geosynchronous orbit, they are quite far from the earth, and it takes some time for the signal to get there and back, egro the time delay.

The bounce-back echo voice ought to be (and often is) suppressed. I don’t know why it’s not more often.

I’m glad this happens to everyone else too.
I almost asked this same question awhile back because there’s a song that says “the way my cellphone echoes I swear they got it tapped*” :eek:

or is it “I swear somebody’s listenin’”? I can’t remember. Anyway, you get the point

Next time it happens, I’ll try that. But if that’s the problem, why would it only happen some of the time? BTW, I’m pretty sure I’ve been using a headset every time it happened.

This is generally a network problem that occurs at the interface of two networks (two different carriers). If the solutions above work, then problem solved (or minimized to a tolerable level). However, if it is happening often enough, you may want to call it in to the carrier (dial 611 in the US) and let the rep know about the echo, where it most often occurs (cross streets), what type of call you are making (local, toll, long distance or international) and whether you hear the echo or the other party does. If the carrier gets some complaints, it should try to reproduce the problem. Its engineers should then start testing the individual trunks to see if there is a problem with the echo cancellers. (There is an echo canceller in line with every trunk coming into the switch.) The trunks for your calls are assigned somewhat randomly, though, so it is often a customer complaint that brings these issues to light.