Transcontinental Talent - My Daughter Caught In A Modeling Scam?

Does anybody here have any experience or knowledge about this company?

My 18 year old daughter got approached by a representative of Transcontinental Talent (TCT) while she was working at her job at Hollister’s (Abercrombie and Fitch subsidiary) at the local mall. TCT is a supposed online clearinghouse for models, actors, etc. [sarcasm] For a mere $800 they’ll post your photos and resume on their site, and the Modeling Agencies will flood you with offers. [/sarcasm]

TCT has been pressuring my daughter to sign up. They’ve appealed to her ego (“You have just the right look.”) and emphasized that the door of opportunity is closing fast (“This is your last chance, we make it a practice to only contact candidates once a year.”) I have to admit that they’re good. Unethical, but good.

I’ve been pressuring her to run for her life. I won’t spend a dime to help her with this (and I’m pretty liberal with financial help to my kids) but she says she’s willing to spend her own money.

I think it’s a scam. Legal perhaps, but a scam nonetheless. I found this website which gave me a lot of cautionary advice, and reinforced my skeptical opinion. Modeling Scams. This hasn’t fazed her.

I also checked the Better Business Bureau: BBB Advises Caution. This didn’t faze her either, in spite of the fact that many BBB offices have rated TCT as unsatisfactory.

She’s a bright kid who is usually pretty street smart, but they’ve got her hooked this time.

My next step is to check with local modeling agencies to see if they utilize the TCT web site at all. I’m hoping they say that they don’t.

Again, does anybody here have any experience or knowledge about this company?

Sounds definately like a scam to me. If your daghter wants to become a model, she should send a few pictures of herself to an enlisted agency. If they are interested, they will pay for a professional portfolio to be made of her, as an investment, that they will get back by takign a percentag of her earnings.
Guys like these are playing on the girls vanity and dreams.

http://beta.kpix.com/news/local/2003/02/13/5_Investigates:_Modeling_Agency_or_Scam%3F.html
http://www.clickondetroit.com/det/money/ruthtotherescue/stories/ruthtotherescue-178920020021115-151135.html

Just two I found typing in [transcontinental talent scam] in Google.

Huge scam. Whenever an agent or agency asks you for money, run—don’t walk—to the nearest exit.

You could also ask her this question, “Once they get your money, what reason do they have for helping you any longer?”

I was once convinced an agent who responded to my query was a scam artist when I received a form acceptance letter. Not wanting to dismiss them completely out of hand, I used my mom’s address and created a really, really crappy story synopsis. I mean, it was just terrible, with bad grammar, spelling and punctuation, a terrible plot and poorly-worded phrases. My mom received an enthusiastic acceptance letter, with a hand-written note on the side telling her how eager they were to receive her manuscript. They hadn’t yet discussed money, but I knew it would only be a matter of time before they did.

Just out of curiosity, Algernon, how tall is your daughter? Most legitimate modeling agencies require models to be at least 5’8" (IIRC) or taller. If she’s shorter than that, then the odds are so stacked against your daughter…

Zev Steinhardt

Thanks for all your supportive advice and cautionary words. (and for the news links DeadyAccurate.) I appreciate your quick responses.

Zev, she’s between 5’9" and 5’10". (taller than me ::sob:: )

Other info or experience anyone?

Algernon, I have to second Eve here. No legit agency will ever ask for money up front. Ever ever ever. If an agent thinks a person has real potential, they will be willing to make an investment in them in the beginning, knowing that it will pay off later when their Fresh New Face gets the cover of Vogue.

Jane magazine did a story on these scammers last month. TCT even has middlemen who are deluded into thinking they are agents and suckered into suckering other people. It’s a pyramid scheme. Run away. Far away.

Another thing, it’s my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the real modeling world is brutal. Even the best looking will be told about their “flaws”. A talent agency that does nothing but compliment would set my alarm bells ringing. “What, there’s no area I can improve on? Am I a vision of physical perfection?”

Legitimate agencies do not charge fees.

Part of the problem is that TCT doesn’t proclaim to be an agency. They’re simply an online clearinghouse of talent. The fees are for posting one’s information on their web database.

They’ve readily admitted to my daughter that agencies don’t take up-front fees, but “we’re not an agency” so it’s OK.

This of course, is completely logical to my daughter.

There must be a reliable, actual modeling agency in Milwaukee—why not take your daughter to one of them for an honest appraisal?

Algernon, if she doesn’t want to listen to you, maybe she’ll listen to Jane magazine. They did an expose on TCT a couple of months ago. I don’t think they maintain articles on their website, but I’ll check if I still have the issue the article ran in, if you’d like.

All good advice here, but this sounds like one of those things the kid is going to have to find out about for herself when she blows $800 or so.

So we can offer better advice: what exactly are your daughter’s responses to the BBB reports, scam exposes, and numerous other documented reports about this company? Does she just not care, or think that somehow she’ll make a career out of modeling? Though she’s being stubborn, she must have some reasoning process making her want to keep doing it.

Ok, this is a UK perspective but modelling is an international industry so I don’t see why it should be different.

This is a scam. It comes up quite frequently on consumer affairs TV progs here. Model agencies do not need professional photos - they have years of experience judging looks from snapshots. If they think you have the looks they will arrange pictures at their own cost. If you don’t they will be honest and not waste your time

yeah, i almost got roped into this business. but i could smell the bullshit by the first meeting and bailed out in the middle of the orientation. they just set up an office in seattle… beware.
it’s worse to be working for them than to be a model on their site. they do apparently get business through their site.

I was offered a job with TCT a few months ago, and I made my escape rapidly after I found out what they do. The so-called “scouts” have to maintain at least 5 enrollments per week, which means convincing about 40 strangers a week to show up to these “modeling calls.”

They then do a hard-sell on the prospective models to fork over that initial fee, plus a monthly fee, to have a website listing with pictures, statistical and contact info.

Eve, that’s a great idea. I’ll try to get an appointment with an agency. That’ll do two things, provide some professional opinion on her “looks”, and provide a perspective on TCT’s legitimacy.

Gundy, I tried Jane’s web site, and as you suspect, they don’t have back issue articles. I’ll email you my email address and fax number.

GMRjujin, it’s a mighty expensive lesson that I’d prefer she avoided.

peepthis, you ask a good question. Why does she listen to a stranger but not her father? Two things come to mind, both of which are emotional rather than logical. First, the stranger is telling her what she wants to hear. I’m not. The second reason is simple: I’m her father and she’s 18 and she knows more than I do. (“Dad, you think everything is a scam. You need to be more trusting.”)

Regarding the BBB negative reports. TCT readily admitted to her there are unsatisfactory ratings. They handled it well though. They told her to check out Disney and Sears, etc. to see how much worse they are compared to the measly few complaints TCT has. (I started talking about numbers of complaints per customer, but she didn’t want to hear it.)