Why does my Cheddar Cheese Sweat?

I am a huge Cheddar cheese fan. The sharper the better. I notice that when I get it, it will occasionally sweat. Or leak out a clear fluid of some kind. What am I seeing? Anyone know or have witnessed the same thing?

I’ve noticed this before, sometimes on the harder cheeses. It’s oil that’s coming out of the cheese. Slicing sometimes forces it out due to the pressure, and if you let cheese stand at room temperature, you’ll see beads of oil appear on the surface.

In short, it’s the residual butterfat that’s been clarified by the aging process.

Sall hi-jack question: False_God, do you know if the aging process of cheese is a form of fermentation? I was hoping to use this an example to teach someone something, but I was hoping to verify this, first… Thanks, Jinx

Eh, multiple face slaps for me! Even after previewing…

I meant “small hi-jack”!!! :smack: :smack: :smack:

Nothing to do with the OP, but today I cracked open a pound of 7 and a half year old cheddar, for a party! It didn’t last long enough to sweat. My, it was tasty!

I’ve got a half a pound of 8 year old cheddar I’m trying to hang onto for another two years. I don’t think I’ll make it!

Qad - I wasn’t invited? I’m crushed…

Not really, I live close enough to Cabot, Vermont :slight_smile:

Because it’s horribly out of shape!

It’s all fat!