Old 03-28-2003, 05:29 PM

Looking forward to "Tremors: the Series" tonight?

I'm not much of a fan of monster movies, but I have to admit all three of the Tremors movies were a hoot. And so was Michael Gross as the gun-nut survivalist Burt.

So, though I haven't admitted it to anyone in the RW, I will tune in the Sci-fi Channel tonight to watch the premiere of the series.

Anybody else have hopes for this? I refuse to predict the quality or lack thereof, but I will admit looking forward to it.

I'll post my review later, and I invite others to do the same.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:53 PM

I am so there, man!

I especially like the idea of the inhabitants of Perfection having to learn to live with the Graboids, like residents out west have to live with bears, mountain lions, or wolves.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:00 PM

I liked the movies, I'll give the show a shot.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicDog
I especially like the idea of the inhabitants of Perfection having to learn to live with the Graboids, like residents out west have to live with bears, mountain lions, or wolves.
Question is, can the premise carry an entire series? I still think they would have been better off picking up "Firefly".
Old 03-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Interesting...seems like they're borrowing elements of "The Dukes of Hazzard", right down to the '68 Charger. They got the color wrong, though.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM

Ooh that Rosalita. I really like the girl in the tanktop t-shirt look.

This is worth watching, for a while at least. I am amused.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:12 AM

I must admit I enjoyed it, and I second Ooh that Rosalita.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:22 AM

I dug Mindy!
Old 03-29-2003, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Olsen
Question is, can the premise carry an entire series?
I liked that the second episode didn't make El Blanco a huge part of the plot. Maybe they can pull it off, with only occasional references to the graboids. (I still don't like that name, though)
Old 03-29-2003, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanyel
I liked that the second episode didn't make El Blanco a huge part of the plot. Maybe they can pull it off, with only occasional references to the graboids. (I still don't like that name, though)
How about Shai-Hulud?

I enjoyed it, but I liked the movies as well.

But there's one thing I haven't quite figured out. I missed most of the 2nd movie, but did they ever explain where Burt was getting all his money from? The kind of equipment he has must have cost a pretty penny and he doesn't seem to have an income (Other then the Argentina job, that is, which I'm sure he was well paid for).
Old 03-29-2003, 04:25 AM

My biggest pet peeve so far is the overuse of the "shaky-cam" effect.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HPL
How about Shai-Hulud?

I enjoyed it, but I liked the movies as well.

But there's one thing I haven't quite figured out. I missed most of the 2nd movie, but did they ever explain where Burt was getting all his money from? The kind of equipment he has must have cost a pretty penny and he doesn't seem to have an income (Other then the Argentina job, that is, which I'm sure he was well paid for).
He's poor now, which is why he was eating cactus with tobasco sauce. Also, he has the wall to hang all his weapons, with drawn outlines for all of them. But the wall is just about empty, only the outlines left.

In the series premiere he mentions that in one attack, his house was destroyed and he was uninsured, explaining his current poverty. Also opening up new plot possibilities suggested by the new guy, like "Burt Gummer's Survival School".

Where he got his money in the first place, I can't recall if they ever addressed.

Kind of interesting they've turned him into a reluctant environmentalist who protects the graboid. And it's a good thing hikers keep strolling by or the poor thing would starve to death.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:19 AM

El Blanco feeds mostly on cyotes, prairie dogs,and jackrabbits.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sock Munkey
My biggest pet peeve so far is the overuse of the "shaky-cam" effect.
Agree. That got old quick.

Obviously, this show costs maybe a third or a quarter of what Farscape cost.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I found it amusing, even knowing it's foolish. Sometimes I like to watch things just for fun, so I suppose I'll watch, at least for a while.

About Burt's money, or the lack thereof, the Mexican job in the second movie paid a lot. So he probably used it to rebuild the house destroyed in the first movie, and buy stuff he had in the third movie. Then that all got blown up, as he mentioned in the series opener. So he's short on cash.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Olsen
Question is, can the premise carry an entire series?
The "Mixmaster" virus from the second episode certainly sets things up for lots of future mutant monsters. How about a graboid/rattlesnake mix? Or a scorpion/graboid? That would be cool.

And Rosalita was hot.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

They cancelled Farscape, the best show on television, .....for this?

It was average, but will get quite old quickly.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I liked the movies, and the show was decently done, though even with the mixmaster, it has a good chance of becoming repetitive. But it does depend on the execution -- you could have said something similar about the first episode of Buffy.

It was definitely better than that turgid crapfest that Farscape became in the final year. At least the science was minimally plausable and Tremors knew how to tell a story and make their characters interesting.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RealityChuck
It was definitely better than that turgid crapfest that Farscape became in the final year.
*gasp!*
::Vanyel starts beating RealityChuck about the head and neck::
Old 03-30-2003, 12:37 PM

I just checked IMDB there is going to be a 4th movie next year. It will take place before all the movies, in the 1800. The only thing I donít get is that Burt is listed as one of the characters.

As for the show, It will never last. I liked it, But Iím willing to bet good money it will never see a third season and Iíll bet crappy money it will never see a second season.

Does anyone know why El Blanco isnít splitting open and releasing the tremor walking things that become ďAss BlastersĒ?

Old 03-30-2003, 12:45 PM

I heard that the character is Burt's grandfather (with the same name I suppose).

Good question about why El Blanco doesn't go to the next step. I don't know why, but if I were a writer on the show, I'd have it happen as the season finale. Each season could be a different form; 2 is the walkers, 3 is the assblasters, and 4 could be either something new or back to a new crop of worms.

Obviously, this assumes the show lasts a bit....
Old 03-30-2003, 02:00 PM

Maybe El Blanco needs to hook up with La Blanca. I heard she's ho'in around these days with El Nino.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:05 PM

Yanno what else bugs me? They made the shriekers and ass-blasters see by heat instead of sonar which would have made a lot more sense for an animal that develops from an underground creature that finds its prey by vibration. Heat sensors are a lousy way to judge distances with and in the noonday sun desert rocks can get hotter than body temperature. Sonar is just as easy for the heroes to "gimmick" their way around by using things like loudspeakers to interfere with it so they can make those last second getaways.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:21 PM

If you're going to insist on plausibility you'll need to find another series.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:40 PM

That's assuming I can even find one that even comes close to plausibility.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanyel
*gasp!*
::Vanyel starts beating RealityChuck about the head and neck::
Violence doesn't affect the fact that Farscape had jumped the shark and the final season was dreadful. Fans were watching on memories, not what was on the screen.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:06 AM

We were also watching on hope that it would get better.