That chant from Monty Python/Holy Grail

Anyone know what that Greogrian chant they used in “Holy Grail” is called? You know, “domine es requiem”?

It’s “Pie Iesu Domine, dona eis requiem.”

That’s a prayer for the dead, meaning (essentially) “Holy Lord Jesus, grant them peace (or rest).”

Is this the same chant the monks use earlier in the movie?
(where they are smacking themselves in the heads)

Yup.

I had a friend in high school who would walk around chanting and whacking himself with his books.

Yeah, he was weird. But so was I.

In what way was your friend weird?

Many ways. :smiley:

I’m not saying he was the first or the last person to do that. It was pretty dang funny.

Then please describe his weird behavior. Thus far your comments on his behavior serve as paeons to right-thinking normalcy.

Ni!

Well, wearing the TNG uniforms to school on a regular basis was a bit weird. Not being a rabid Trekkie. THAT is normal enough as far as I’m concerned. Broadcasting it to that extent, though, is weird.

I’ve known too many people who can sit down in a group and do whole chunks of that movie. Maybe even the whole thing. I’m jealous!

Ni!

OK, that is weird. TNG is nowhere as good as TOS.

‘Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv’

Ni!

Nue!

No, no. ‘Ni’. You’re not doing it properly. No.

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/grail/grail.htm#script

Now everyone can follow along!

Good gravy, QtM… they let anyone practice medicine behind the cheddar curtain? :smiley:

…d&r…

Just where do you think med schools draw their finest candidates, beagledave? From the ranks of Python fans, JRRT devotees, and people who can quote all the “conehead” sketches from the original SNL, of course!

The cheese is just gravy. Mmmmmmmm…cheese gravy! Now I’m hungry!

Geez, I grew up thinking everyone knew this. But I went to an Episcopal high school and was in the chorus, so I suppose I’d have more exposure to it than a lot of folks…

“Or what, you’ll bleed on me?”

When I was in the navy Chaplain School, one of my classmates observed that “Pie Iesu” could be used as a running cadence. Only once, though…