Oliver Twist connoisseur needed!

So I’ve seen the (made-for-TV?) movie with Elijah Wood, and I’m reading the book. My question(s) is (are) : How close is the musical to either of these? Is the musical or the movie available to rent? Is the musical worth renting? (FWIW, I loved Newsies, and from what I’ve seen/heard, Oliver would be about the same level–lighthearted and fun?)

What can you tell me? I’m at your feet, my flash com-pan-i-ons.

The musical isn’t bad at all. The movie of the musical is bloated and padded at the same time, and the ending (IIRC) is screwed up, but still a lot of fun. One drawback: there’s a dance scene that goes on for 45 minutes…or at least seems like it does (“Consider Yourself”), and another one that goes on for 30 minutes…or seems like it does (“Who Will Buy”) but despite that, is still damned good.

That said, Whats’isname is fantastic as Bill Sykes, Ron Moody, fresh from his London performance steals the show as Fagin and Jack Wilde (from Pufinstuf) is fantastic as The Artful Dodger. The Oliver…um…not so much. He has a wispy, breathy voice and he was, as far as I can tell, chosen because he can look pathetic AND happy. At least those are the only two expressions I"ve seen him with.

It’s definitly worth renting, but if you like it, do yourself a favor and buy either this castor this cast if you want to hear all the songs (and far less padded versions)

Fenris

Thank you kindly; I know what I’m renting this weekend!

Frodo Baggins is in Oliver. Is he wearing a top hat, and why was I not informed of this?! :eek:

I never liked the movie version of the musical, but that’s only because they cut out Bill Sykes’ song.

Did I mention I played Bill Sykes in the musical?

:slight_smile:

Yes, yes, and I’m very sorry.

:hug: