"The Advocate" on DVD

Well, it looks like the 1994 movie The Advocate is finally coming out on DVD (link).

I only saw half of it on cable years ago, but impressed me as a really detailed depiction of medieval France. But here’s the thing:

The original version was 117 minutes long, and got an NC-17 rating. The version being offered in the U.S. is cut down for an R rating, and is 102 minutes. I don’t know which version I saw on cable years ago; I do remember one scene with some excellent nudity. On the other hand, I don’t know if HBO (or Showtime, or whatever premium channel I was watching) would have been showing the NC-17 version.

So – has anybody seen both versions? I don’t want to buy a cut-down version that leaves out wonderful nudity, but I don’t know if the original version will ever be available.

Any help would be appreciated. (That and 50 cents will buy you a phone call. Jesus, can you believe pay phones charge four bits now?)

The MPAA lists the film as an R, with a comment that it was “Edited for Re-Rating.” I don’t think more than one version would have appeared in the U.S.