The Video Athlete Hall of Fame

Everyone has played a computer/video sports game where they found one player to be completely dominant, but those players never get their due. So, it’s time to make nominations for the Video Athlete HOF.

My list:

NHL 94 Doug Gilmore
NHL 94 Todd Gill
Sega NFL 95 Barry Foster.
SportsTalk Football II’s Joe Montana
Medium Guy from Ice Hockey.
The yellow truck from Ivan IronMan Stewart’s Super Off Road.
Cam Neely, NHL 95
Chinese Center (I forget his name, but he had the off the glass self Alley Oop dunk), USA Basketball 94
Scottie Pippen, NBA Jam
Driver, OutRun

I totally forgot #1 on my list. Kevin Appier, Hardball 5. That guy would ALWAYS go 10 shutout innings against my Red Sox, and Tom Goodwin would single and steal second and get driven in on a single off of my Roger Clemens in the top of the 11th.

Tecmo Super Bowl Christian Okoye
Tecmo Super Bowl Lawrence Taylor
NBA Jam (original) Hornets-Larry Johnson + Alonzo Mourning
Mario Kart Yoshi (Toad a close 2nd)
Madden 2003 Michael Vick
Pro Wrestling (nintendo 8 bit) Starman
RBI baseball Mark McGwire
NCAA Basketball (Super Nintendo) Davison [PF for Carolina]

Hate to post to my thread a third time, but I also forgot #2 on my list, Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson, and his backfield partner, Marcus Allen.

My NHL 94 (SNES) HOF pick is undoubtedly P. Coffey. Nominally a defenseman, but can routinely get 3-5 goals per game with him. Course, I have the game pretty much worked: Can win with no goalie at any point; have gotten a hat trick with all 6 players; win the Cup without losing a game, the list goes on.
Super Mario 2-Toad-his ultra-fast beet (or whatever those things are) picking is quite useful
Mario Kart 64-Wario-just bowls others out of the way, and has that “I’ma Warrio, I’ma gonna win!” soundbite

NHL '93 Vincent Damphousse - Give him the puck on the left side of the net and send him across. He will glide and hold the puck until the goalie is out of the way. Goal every time.

Tecmo Super Bowl - Montana to Rice. Neal Anderson. Mike Singletary.

Tecmo NBA Basketball - Chris Mullin.

Major League Baseball (8 bit Nintendo) - A particular pitcher on the Cubs is amazing. He actually pitches better when he loses his fastball, which takes all of 1 inning. After that, his ball curves to such an extreme that he routinely throws 9 inning no hitters. Once just to see how long I could go I refused to get a hit. After throwing a 33 inning no-hitter with my pitcher I got a little bored.

Tecmo Super Bowl: QB Eagles (can’t believe the snub to this point)
TSB: LT was nasty, but as an underdog, try Kevin Greene of the LA Rams sometime
NHL 93: Roenick, also Joe Sakic on the lowly Nordiques
Blades of Steel: Edmonton
Bases Loaded: The sick combo of Paste and Bay on the Jersey squad
NBA Jam: Spurs (Robinson + Elliott)

I don’t know if this counts, but Goldeneye on N64: Siberian Special Forces, and Helicopter Pilot

In the upcoming Madden 2004, Michael Vick will be about a 130 overall rating, so all of this will be moot.

RBI Baseball 2: Dennis Eckersley. Simply unhittable.

I’ve got World Series Baseball 2K2 for the Dreamcast, and my Cardinals team has of course, Jim Edmonds, who for some reason appears to have morphed into an even more souped-up Barry Bonds.

A month left in the season, and he’s currently sitting at 67 home runs and a .450-something batting average. The team as a whole is dominating, with something like 110 wins already, with a month left to go.

From the old Commodore 64 version of Hardball: Moose Johnson. If he touches the ball, it’s going over the fence.

Could we have a side debate in here about the greatest TSB (tecmo super bowl) backfield tandem, or is that sufficient enough to warrant an entirely new thread?

My pick is Ottis Anderson and Dave Meggett of the hated NYG (including of course, the infamous “Meggett play”, that, when executed by the computer, is one of the closest things to unstoppable in video game history).

The Meggett play is unstoppable? Any time I play against the computer Giants I win approximately 50-7? They basically get no rushing yardage at all.

I was never a TSB player, but clearly, there’s only one choice in Tecmo Bowl backfields. The debate begins and ends with the Raiders. They can shred even the mighty NYG defense without any trouble at all.

As for Mario Kart 64 drivers, how has the Princess not been mentioned yet? She’s by far the best, and has the kickass “Here we go!” sound clip when she gets turbo.

The third red slash in the second row on Colecovision Football.

No way! Oddjob. Always had to ban him because he was half the size of everyone else and if you were right next to him, you had to look down to hit him, where as he could just punch or shoot you in the nuts.

See, in the Goldeneye debate, I’d throw out Oddjob and the woman scientist in the yellow garb right away. They were both too short, and we know that short people aren’t even people after all.

Siberian Special Forces was sick because he blended into the wall half the time and my friends would always say that he aimed better in the autoaim off mode, but I call that hogwash jealousy of my unparalleled domination of them.

Helicopter Pilot was very fast, so he became my second pick if someone was faster to SSF than me.

Every play 4-players with Rockets in the Basement, game to 20 kills? We once had a game that lasted over an hour due to all the self-kills.

Tecmo Bowl Lawrence Taylor. A bug in the game allowed him to block every single kick.

Tecmo Super Bowl Joe Montana/Jerry Rice. I completely shattered every NFL passing/receiving record with this duo, except number of completions–you don’t get that many when almost every pass you throw is a TD!

Baseball Stars American Dreams–this entire team was unstoppable. The only other team that even came close was the Ninja Blacksox.

NBA Jam Karl Malone and John Stockton. The Hornets were good in that game, but Malone and Stockton were more balanced.

Madden 94 1985 Chicago Bears. I’ve scored well over 100 points in a 5-minute quarter game, with most of the points coming on defense.

NHL 93 Jeremy Roenick
NHL 94 Mario Lemieux

Mullinator: Greg Maddux was on the 88 Cubs, is that who it was?

ElwoodCuse, it might be, but I am not sure. It’s been a while since I played so I don’t remember the player’s number or stats listed in the game. I might have to look it up tonight. I do remember the stats were far from impressive though. Something like 7-5 with a pretty pedestrian ERA. But, thoroughly unhittable.