Flying a kite into space?!?

Simple question. Is it possible, assuming you have miles and miles of cord lying around, to fly a kite into space? Or atleast the upper most region of the exosphere?

No. You’d eventually run out of lift well before you got anywhere near space. Not only that, the cord would weigh a ton as well and not help matters.

Plus, the friction of the air against the cord would add a bunch of resistance to any upward tendancies the kite would have.

Forget friction… the weight of the string itself would be impossible to lift, and would snap under its own weight even if you had sufficient lift. :slight_smile:

So, what’s the highest a kite has ever been flown?

Charlie Brown can generally get them as high as the treetops, but no higher. Has anyone beaten this?

Charlie Brown can generally get them as high as the treetops, but no higher. Has anyone beaten this?

here and elsewhere.

Kites don’t necessarily need a string that reaches all the way to the ground. A kite attached to a hundred yards of string with a balloon on the end will also fly. The string and balloon provide tension to keep the kite facing the wind.

According to this site, about 12.5 thousand feet. To me, this is a surprisingly low number. I’ve personally flown a kite on over 5,000 feet of line, and that kite was straight over my head and pulling hard.

You can have a chain of kites on the same line with each providing lift so the only limit would be the point where the atmosphere gets too thin.

So would my kite be frozen when it came down or what?

Depends… are you sending it up soaking wet?