Old 04-20-2003, 09:58 AM

Windows XP sucks.

It sucks so bad my girlfriend has taken to calling it the "Nazi" OS.

My problem with this piece of garbage of an operating system largely stems from the fact that it absolutely will not allow me to do anything with my own computer.

The hierarchy is all switched around, nothing works the way it used to, I've got three different media players but I can't figure out how to open MS Access (which is on the machine somewhere, but I can't find it), and everything down to the buttons on the windows just looks stupid. Don't get me started on that insipid cartoon dog.

XP is also not DOS-based. 99% of things seem to be driven by IE for some unfathomable reason. I realize that the complete lack of DOS won't be a problem for most people, but it pisses me right off. See, I remember the days before Windows. I had an 80/88 when they were the be-all and end-all of computers. I could play games on the thing that had actual graphics in 'em, instead of just boring text. Over the years I became dependent on DOS, especially since Windows never really worked right. The DOS-prompt was my friend, my security blanket.

Now it's been cruelly ripped away from me and replaced with... nothing. I'll never see my beloved "C:" again.

Back in February I broke down and spent about $800 on a new Dell cheapie, and I actually danced with joy when the UPS guy showed up with it. If only I had know about the horror that lurked within it's stylish case.

My experience with my lovely knew computer has led me to two conclusions:
  • The hardware is wonderful. It's just the POS that is XP that makes me want to drop-kick it through a window.
  • Bill Gates blows goats.
I should've bought a Mac.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:08 AM

Re: Windows XP sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Exgineer
Um...I may be missing something obvious, but why not just rush right out and buy a copy of Windows 2000? It's not particularly hard to change OSs (if you're upset about the lack of DOS prompt you should certainly should know how).

I got a used DELL laptop that came with WinME pre-installed and within 10 minutes of getting it home, loaded on my copy of Win98se. Worked like a charm.

Why stick with a bad OS? It's not that hard to change it.

Fenris
Old 04-20-2003, 10:12 AM

XP Home sucks. Umm, you do know you have a command prompt, right? Also, you can change the look/feel of XP's start menu etc via the Display properties (Appearance tab) and also the Start Menu's properties by right-clicking the Start Menu.

Ok, enough useful hints.

Yeh! Boot XP up the arse! It sucks big hairy dog balls (what?? I'm just jumping on the bandwagon!)

Max.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

START>RUN>COMMAND will give you a C prompt.

You may have to search for this one, but under the My Computer properties, there is a button that will lead you to changing the performance of the computer. Choosing to run with optimal performance will take away the glitsy overlay to the more traditional Windows look.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Oops, I see Maxxxie beat me to the punch.

I hope you don't have XP Home.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:23 AM

Funny, I like my XP Pro on my home computer. There is still a command prompt too. It seems to run stuff just fine and sometimes doesn't neet to be rebooted for well over a week. My favorite part is I can kill processes and applications. The only part I don't like it that it gets grabby about devices and their drivers. That and the icons and look and feel really are quite idiotic.

Of course, this computer came with Me, anything is gonna shine after trying to use that for a year.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:24 AM

Oh, PS - using the "cmd" command will give you a prompt that's a little smarter than "command", which emulates the COMMAND.COM interpreter...

*shuts up now*
Max
Old 04-20-2003, 10:45 AM

It's XP Home. Which pretty much means I'm totally screwed.

Fenris raised a good point, but I don't want to go to a legacy system for one simple reason.

I'm an idiot.

Before I realized exactly what sort of hell I was dealing with, I rushed right out and spent about a couple of hundred bucks on XP Office. I need to work at home from time to time, and XP Office is the new standard at my job, so I figured that would be easier all around.

I could go back to 2000 or 98 and convert files back and forth and pray, but I've got a sunk investment in XP Office. Of course, I still can't get Access to work.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:56 AM

No offense man, but I think you need to spend 15 minutes or so and actually TRY to do some of the stuff you talk about. This post wreeks of someone who loaded up XP and then couldn't do something immediately and instead of taking a couple of minutes to figure it out you came to the board to lambast the program.

You do know it only takes 2.377 seconds to change the interface of XP back to the 2000 style inferface don't you?
Old 04-20-2003, 11:05 AM

Office XP will run perfectly happily on Win2K, in fact that's the setup that my office uses. XP in that instance is just a brand label. So don't worry about backdating the OS, it'll work fine.

Otherwise, I think you're being a bit hasty; as others have pointed out, the command line is still there in all its glory, and even has command-line completion, once you figure out how to turn it on (install tweakUI, from the MS website). All the graphical gubbins can be turned off, you can make it all look just like Win2K/98 or whatever, and you can modify the folder view settings to be less flashy if you like.

Of course, there are genuinely gut-wrenchingly annoying things about it, but you'll find those later...
Old 04-20-2003, 11:10 AM

i've never had a problem w/ XP Pro. I made damn sure I stayed away from XP Home the minute the bad press started rolling in on it. Apparently, they're like night and day - XP Home is a POS, while XP Pro is an ok OS.

I don't know why anybody would choose XP Home these days; the terrible reviews are all over the place.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:22 AM

For the record, I really don't give half a crap what it looks like. It's the functionality that chaps my butt.

In that vein:

Thanks, guys. I just wanted to blow off some steam, but you all are giving me ideas.

This board positively rips.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
My problem with this piece of garbage of an operating system largely stems from the fact that it absolutely will not allow me to do anything with my own computer.
What?

Quote:
The hierarchy is all switched around, nothing works the way it used to, I've got three different media players but I can't figure out how to open MS Access (which is on the machine somewhere, but I can't find it),
How are the media players related to MS Access? Anyway, if you had DOS, you would find MS Access here: c:\progra~1\micros~1\office\MSACCESS.EXE. But if you really knew DOS, you wouldn't need this info.

Quote:
....and everything down to the buttons on the windows just looks stupid. Don't get me started on that insipid cartoon dog.
I can agree with you here. But have no sympathy. There is something called a help feature. I suggest you use it. Fuck that cartoon dog and that damn paperclip too, these can also be disabled.

Quote:
XP is also not DOS-based. 99% of things seem to be driven by IE for some unfathomable reason.
Actually, when not hooked up to the internet, your using Windows Explorer, not IE. Although you can use any window in 2K/XP to get to any folder. How is this an inconvenience? This is a blessing.

Quote:
I realize that the complete lack of DOS won't be a problem for most people, but it pisses me right off. See, I remember the days before Windows. I had an 80/88 when they were the be-all and end-all of computers. I could play games on the thing that had actual graphics in 'em, instead of just boring text.
What? There aren't any games on your XP machine? Let's not just start bashing shit without searching things out first. Graphics? DOS? HAH! I too was hooked on DOS, but also realized that Explorer makes things a hell of a lot easier to navigate instead of type commands 200 characters long. Or, even worse, batch files!!! I also know that a DOS emulator is always there for backup - See below.

Quote:
Over the years I became dependent on DOS, especially since Windows never really worked right. The DOS-prompt was my friend, my security blanket.
Granted, anything before Win2K sucked big time.

Quote:
Now it's been cruelly ripped away from me and replaced with... nothing. I'll never see my beloved "C:" again.
Start > Programs > Accesories > Command Prompt. Don't say I never gave you anything!

Quote:
Back in February I broke down and spent about $800 on a new Dell cheapie, and I actually danced with joy when the UPS guy showed up with it. If only I had know about the horror that lurked within it's stylish case.
Dude, you got a Dell! Moron.

Quote:
My experience with my lovely knew computer has led me to two conclusions:
  • The hardware is wonderful. It's just the POS that is XP that makes me want to drop-kick it through a window.
  • Bill Gates blows goats.
  • I will once again attribute all of this to "Operator Error".

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you should've. But you'd still be comin' here complaining with, "My Mac sucks, NOTHING works, EVER!" Proving to us that it is you, and not the system.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:52 PM

Re: Re: Windows XP sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by yme

Dude, you got a Dell! Moron.

< snip >

Maybe you should've. But you'd still be comin' here complaining with, "My Mac sucks, NOTHING works, EVER!" Proving to us that it is you, and not the system.
Are you acting like a dick because you were emotionally damaged as a child, or did it just come naturally? It was a civil conversation 'till you trolled in.

Fenris
Old 04-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Re: Re: Re: Windows XP sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenris
Are you acting like a dick because you were emotionally damaged as a child, or did it just come naturally? It was a civil conversation 'till you trolled in.

Fenris
This is the Pit. There's no call to be civil. yme, you're a complete jackass if you can't distinguish between an "Argh! I'm frustrated and want to hurl my computer through the wall!" rant and serious inability to figure out how to extort Bill's perverse creation into playing nicely.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:52 PM

This is the Pit. Rants go in the Pit so the OP had to put his comments here. And besides, there's no rule against being civil either and multiple rules against being a jerk like yme was.

In any case, I thorougly agree with the second half of what you said (the part after yme.)
Old 04-20-2003, 01:59 PM

:: looks under yme's name ::

Um...See? See what happens when you're a jerk, in the pit, who pisses me off?

Even the MODS quake at the POWER OF FENRIS!!!!!

Fenris, who has no idea why that happened, but isn't complaining.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:05 PM

Psst, yme knows the secret. Nothing is ever wrong with your computer, it's all your own damnfool fault. Now shut up and sit down.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:14 PM

I see this as another testimony against Windows XP Home.

Which is why I'm glad I got XP Pro for my PC. (And I'm a Mac user!) I think XP is OK, but it ain't OS X and I love OS X. So while (as a Mac user) I can't say that your idea to get a Mac is a bad one (you'd be using OS X!), I think that you'd be OK with Pro. And it would be a little less expensive than buying a whole new computer and compatable software!

What I've seen of XP Pro, it's really not that bad. And the first thing I did was download some new "Themes" so I would have to suffer with that hideous default theme. (I got the OS X theme. )

My sister is eventually going to get XP on her computer, and I was thinking she'd get XP Home, since it's cheaper. (I'm her default tech support, which is a scary concept, isn't it?) My PC guru friend discourages her getting Home, and says she should stick with Pro. Yeah, I guess so!
Old 04-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

To the tune of Underdog:

<oooh-wah oooh-wah oooh-wah oooh-wah>

When your new DOS box does appear
with XP Home that all do fear
and makes the Dope techs grunt and sneer
the cry goes up both far and near
for XP Pro! XP Pro! XP Pro! XP Pro!

Speed of lightning, roar of thunder
fighting all OS that chunder
XP Pro. eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-XP Pro! XP Pro!

...or any OS other than Home.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:48 PM

I have XP Pro... and I'd have to say I love XP. I really liked WIN 98, and the fact that XP offered security like an NT system and has the same basic functionalities of a 98 system, well I was sold at that point.

Although I also have WIN 98 dual booted on another system with WIN 2K. So out of the variety, I like XP best. But hey, that's just me.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:30 PM
BANNED

What exactly is the difference between XP Pro, and XP Home, besides some extra networking stuff, and multiproccessor support? I use XP Home, and it took me all of 5 minutes to set it back to classic mode, and change all the settings to make it act like I wanted it to. Overall, I have been quite happy with it, and haven't really had any problems with XP Home.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:02 PM

DreadCthulu, XP Pro has Remote Desktop, Encrypting File System, better restore options (driver rollback, last known good, and system restore), the ability to join domains, multiprocessor support, multilanguage support, IIS, and some other networking features.

Quote:
Originally posted by Donkey Basher
I really liked WIN 98, and the fact that XP offered security like an NT system and has the same basic functionalities of a 98 system,
They already made an OS like that. It was called Windows 2000. XP is Win2K with a few new features (mostly of dubious value) and more than a few new bugs.

Quote:
Although I also have WIN 98 dual booted on another system with WIN 2K. So out of the variety, I like XP best. But hey, that's just me.
In your dual-boot setup, do you have Windows 2000 on a FAT32 partition, like '98? If so, your perception of Win2K's performance may be slightly clouded.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by neutron star
DreadCthulu, XP Pro has Remote Desktop, Encrypting File System, better restore options (driver rollback, last known good, and system restore), the ability to join domains, multiprocessor support, multilanguage support, IIS, and some other networking features.
All correct, which is why I think it's hilarious when someone claims that XP Pro is god's gift to computing, but XP Home is a horrible piece of shit. Then you discover that they're not actually using any of the extra features that XP Pro provides. Apparently, these folks don't understand that the underlying code of XP Pro and XP Home is essentially identical, until you get to the extra features. It would be like saying that MS Word and Excel are crap, but MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are wonderful!
Old 04-20-2003, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenris
:: looks under yme's name ::

Um...See? See what happens when you're a jerk, in the pit, who pisses me off?

Even the MODS quake at the POWER OF FENRIS!!!!!

Fenris, who has no idea why that happened, but isn't complaining.
He's apparently been here before.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...hreadid=178417
Old 04-21-2003, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by neutron star
XP is Win2K with a few new features (mostly of dubious value) and more than a few new bugs.
And vastly improved hardware/driver support over Win2K.

I loaded XP Pro on a ~4-year-old+ PII-266 Vaio laptop, and it recognized every oddball chip and port on it, incl 1394, IR port (!), oddball sound chipset, etc. I didn't need to load even one driver. And the laptop ran noticably faster (boot time is intolerable on 98) and better (wow, sleep that can UNsleep! Who'da thought?) than with Win98SE. Quite impressive.

I love XP, mostly. For my work I use/used MacOS (for 17+ years, and it's still crashing ), Mac OS-X (ok, but slow), Win98/SE/ME (yech), WinNT/Win2K, and now XP Pro. I usually go weeks w/o rebooting my desktop (usually to install a driver), and IIRC I've bluescreened once in the last year. I was happy w/ Win2K as well, but there were things (mostly games, but various others) that wouldn't run on it that run on XP.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:26 AM

Actually, the biggest plus for me w/ XP was that the 10-year-old OS rift on Windows is finally healed, and there's one OS (more or less) for consumer and power desktops. No more dual-booting from 98SE to Win2K to test my code or drivers, thank goodness.

Now I just dual-boot my Mac. Dammit.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sublight
He's apparently been here before.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...hreadid=178417
Well, sure. That's what they're saying now. But c'mon. Who are you gonna believe? Lynn Bodoni or me?

He pissed me off, so he was banned.

QED.

Fenris
PS: Yes. Yes the world DOES revolve around me.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Early Out
All correct, which is why I think it's hilarious when someone claims that XP Pro is god's gift to computing, but XP Home is a horrible piece of shit. Then you discover that they're not actually using any of the extra features that XP Pro provides. Apparently, these folks don't understand that the underlying code of XP Pro and XP Home is essentially identical, until you get to the extra features. It would be like saying that MS Word and Excel are crap, but MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are wonderful!
EarlyOut, your point is well made, but I can't help feeling that XP Home is XP Pro with stuff taken out, rather than XP Pro being XP Home with extra stuff. And I can't help feeling that taking that extra stuff out has caused problems with XP Home.

The reason I feel this way is that XP Home seems to be notoriously flakey! I've seen machines run XP Home that consistently encounter problems. These same machines, with XP Pro on them, work a treat!

There's more to it than just "extra stuff they don't use".

Max.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:32 AM

The antidote to XP is Linux. Want a DOS prompt? Get dosemu and run all of your old DOS programs in a very realistic sandbox you have control over, right down to the CPU being emulated. Need some Windows programs? Get Wine, an open-source emulation of the Windows API, and use Office and Access and suchlike to your heart's content. Linux can act broken to accomodate programs written for broken systems.

But if you want a real OS that offers preemptive multitasking, real security, and true memory protection, dump Microsoft and get Linux, a Unix variant and thereby heir to the OS that Got It Right 30 years ago. No more BSODs because no program can corrupt the kernel's memory. Ever. No more runaway processes because every process is controlled by the command line and can be killed with a single command. Period.

Finally, Linux offers the ultimate in user-configurability: Sources. You can download the sources for damned near everything on your box. If you choose, you can reconfigure and recompile everything. If you choose. Of course, the distro is perfectly usable out of the box (as opposed to WinXP being crippled until you register).

At a higher level, you can choose everything else. There is nothing above the kernel's most central level that isn't configurable to a large extent. (Once you begin making changes to the kernel's core, you are, at some point, running a different OS. )

Want a substantially different GUI? There are dozens of different window managers to pick from, each offering a completely different approach to graphical interface.

Want a new command line? There are three main ones (bash, tcsh, and ksh) and many older programs and niche players (sh, ash, etc.). Each offers its own programming language, perfect for automating tasks well beyond command.com's batch programming. Having a true programmable shell will make you forever regard DOS as fundamentally broken.

Want a skinnable browser? There's Opera, Mozilla, Firebird (nee Phoenix), and all of the Mozilla-a-likes, just waiting to be downloaded.

Anyway, there's more to Linux than I can cover here. There are some pretty powerful concepts, such as everything being a file and the programmable shell, that will make you rethink computing, and there are a lot of little things, such as the proliferation of simple text-centric input files, that just make Linux more convenient to the actual end-user.

http://www.linux.org/ -- One starting point among many.

Of course, I'm available to answer any GQ threads about Linux.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:42 AM

Remove: Blue Screen of Death
Add: Kernel Panic
End result: Equally Ungood

Every OS has a specific set of strengths and weaknesses To proclaim one superior to all others is a bit silly. "My screwdriver is superior to your pliers!"
Old 04-21-2003, 02:16 AM

Brutus, I've used Linux in heavy use for years and I've never had a single kernel panic. Ever. How many Windows users can say that about BSODs?

In fact, I don't even know how an end-user, as opposed to a developer or beta-tester, could force one.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:24 AM

Quote:
[/list]I should've bought a Mac.
Why?

WHY IN THE NAME OF MECHA JESUS WOULD YOU EVER THINK OF BUYING A MAC?!

I mean, really.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:31 AM

Aslan, ever since Apple decided to build MacOS X around a BSD, Macs have become a rather stable, usable platform. Yet another win for the Unix camp.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Derleth
The antidote to XP is Linux.
And now I see why 'bash' is a popular Linux shell.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:39 AM

squeegee, it gets worse: Bash is the `Bourne-Again Shell'.

Old 04-21-2003, 02:43 AM

Quote:
The antidote to XP is Linux.
Oh, good, just in case this wasn't stupid enough already. Let's pile the bullshit a little higher.

Sigh.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:50 AM

Quote:
ever since Apple decided to build MacOS X around a BSD, Macs have become a rather stable, usable platform. Yet another win for the Unix camp.
Yeah, but -- Win NT is indebted to the invaluable genetics of VMS. Yet another win for DEC, whoo!

And I'm sooo psyched that my blender is indebted to the Waring musical tradition.

Old 04-21-2003, 03:05 AM

Cerowyn, call us when you have something to add, 'kay?

Buh-bye now.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:12 AM

Derleth, I have never had a BSOD in Windows 2000 (Pro, Server, and Adv. Server), nor in XP Pro. I use XP Pro exclusively on my work and home desktops, and on my laptop. I admin Solaris boxes (A true Unix, not a 'Unix-like' OS). You would have to bribe me to install a *nix for general desktop use, but that's just my preference.

Exgineer couldn't figure out simple aspects of Windows XP (Like launching a command prompt). What makes you think that Linux will be any better for him? Linux has all sorts of positive features. It also has all sorts of negative features. Don't act like it is flawless.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Early Out
Thank you! I agree. It cracks me up too. If the avg, or even the slightly above avg, user loads Home or Pro up at home they will not be able to tell the difference. Hell, 9almost) anyone not joining a domain will not notice the difference! Sure there is a small % of people out there running dual processors, or power users beta testing new drivers or some other ridiculous scenarios, but when people claim that Home is crap, get Pro, it's obvious that 999 out of 1000 of them don't know that they are the same thing.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:46 AM

Brutus, I'm not acting like anything is flawless. I'm simply amazed that anyone could use a Microsoft OS for more than a few months at a time without hitting a BSOD.

As for Unix-like and true Unix, what's the difference besides having ponied up a few hundred thousand to The Open Group?
Old 04-21-2003, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Aslan, ever since Apple decided to build MacOS X around a BSD, Macs have become a rather stable, usable platform. Yet another win for the Unix camp.
Hopefully post OS 8.6 is good, because most of the OS 8.6's run like shit on the computers I use at school. Always crashing(even more than MS normally does). At least with MS, you get a BSOD that lets you know that you should likely just shut off the computer. With Mac, you press a few buttons and it takes a few minutes to not respond and tell you that you should just shut it down.

I've always had problems with mac, even though all my schools have been pretty much mac only. I had to use some software that only runs on mac for my Infotech final, and the program was extremely buggy and caused many complete freeze-ups of the computer. I'd save, that'd cause it to freeze up. I'd tell it to auto save(which should be included in quite a few programs), and chances were it would freeze up or caused it to shut it self by the time it should save.

It caused me to have to come to school on exam conflict day(in case your sick or didn't have the proper supplies on exam day) which is normally a day off for people who complete their exams. It also casued me to have to do a bad job and waste six hours completing it without it having it crash on me.

Thankfully my teacher was cool about it and didn't mark it too hard. Oh yeah, and I'd like to add that

I FUCKING HATE MACS
Old 04-21-2003, 06:22 AM

I love XP Pro. Running on NTFS it's the most stable OS I've ever seen, including Slackware, Red Hat, Redmond, and Debian Linux and every other version of windows.

I've seen my online time on aim over 16 days before rebooting voluntarily. My record before crashing or BSOD'ing on win 9.x was more like 3 days.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:39 AM

Asian2: You do realize that OS 8.6 is a pretty old and creaky OS, don't you? Would you judge Windows XP by your experience with Windows 95 or 98? Do you think your opinion on XP would matter one whit if you'd never used it, but rather had bad experiences with 95 or 98? Like who cares about that? What does that have to do with XP?

If you have no idea what comes after Mac OS 8.6, if you've never laid eyes upon OS X (most notably OS X.2) then you don't know what the Mac is about now. And now is what counts.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:57 AM

Quote:
The DOS-prompt was my friend, my security blanket. Now it's been cruelly ripped away from me and replaced with... nothing.
[...]
I was under the impression that Macs weren't DOS based either?
Old 04-21-2003, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yosemitebabe
Asian2: You do realize that OS 8.6 is a pretty old and creaky OS, don't you? Would you judge Windows XP by your experience with Windows 95 or 98? Do you think your opinion on XP would matter one whit if you'd never used it, but rather had bad experiences with 95 or 98? Like who cares about that? What does that have to do with XP?

If you have no idea what comes after Mac OS 8.6, if you've never laid eyes upon OS X (most notably OS X.2) then you don't know what the Mac is about now. And now is what counts.
I've had to use Mac for pretty much all of my computer schoolwork due to all my schools using macs for "it being so user friendly." Now, seeing as OSX is the newest mac OS, then 8.6 wasn't that relatively long ago. I've had to use Macs for around 10 years(that's how long I've been in school) it's assumable that the school updated the oses and I wasn't using os8.6 for the last ten years. The macs were always shit, Always.

They were good for one thingrawing. That's it. I've had almost no good experinces with any of the mac oses prior and to OS 8.6. Just because OSX was good doesn't draw away from the fact that mac has a history of being a shitty computer with me.

Take for example, the movie series A Nightmare On Elm Street. The first one was a good, although not one of the best ever, and it was no suprise that a sequel came. Sequel would've been good if it were a stand alone cheesy horror flick, but instead it was the same premise done shittier. Lets say Nightmare 1 was OS 1.0 for mac(assuming os 1.0 was good). After that, all the movies were duds(their was about six or seven following the originial) up until A New Nightmare.

A New Nigtmare is like OS X, a good movie among a long line of crap. It took them ten years to do a proper Freddy movie, quite comparable to all the shit OSes I've had to endure to actually possibly get to a good one.

Oh, and it's Aslan2 heheheh.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
I've seen my online time on aim over 16 days before rebooting voluntarily. My record before crashing or BSOD'ing on win 9.x was more like 3 days.
As much trouble as I've been having getting it hammered into the shape I want, I have admit XP Pro's pretty stable. My record with Windows Me was about 8 hours of use between crashes or lockups.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Brutus, I'm not acting like anything is flawless. I'm simply amazed that anyone could use a Microsoft OS for more than a few months at a time without hitting a BSOD.
Could this be because you've been spending too much time on linux discussion groups, where the denouncement of all things Windows is rather shrill, not to mention detached from reality and experience? I've been running Win2K then XP for almost three years now, and have experienced no BSODs that weren't caused by either faulty hardware or my own stupidity. I've only experienced 3, and the last one was about 9 months ago. Just face it, the days of Windows instability are over. There are plenty of valid things you can complain about without resorting to historical cliché.

Anyway, given that the OP here showed two main desires - familiarity and compatibility with Office XP - what on earth led you to think that Linux was even slightly appropriate in this case? I realise that dosemu and Wine both exist, but do you *genuinely* think that installing a completely foreign OS, then installing somewhat developmental and not notably stable emulation layers on top of it is a sensible way to go about things?
Old 04-21-2003, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sublight
As much trouble as I've been having getting it hammered into the shape I want, I have admit XP Pro's pretty stable. My record with Windows Me was about 8 hours of use between crashes or lockups.

Oh trust me, I understand. 3 days on other versions of Windows was a rare occurence. 8 hours was probably much closer to the norm.

With Windows 2000 it was more like 8 minutes but I think that's because I was using FAT32. I only kept 2k for 2 or 3 days.