Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2003, 12:52 AM
something clever something clever is offline
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 195
Is it possible to be allergic to lettuce?

My girlfriend is deathly allergic to tons of foods, her doctor said it was something like in the top 10 worst cases of food allergies in texas (along with her being one of the top 5 worst cases of excema(sp) in texas)

anyway so uhh.. they did some kind of test back when she was little and got pretty much a print out of like 40 odd things that she should not eat..

lettuce was on the list..

WTF? isnt lettuce 99% water?

what happens most of the time, depending on what food it is, is she, within 5 minutes or less of eating something, will break out in massive hives all over her body, if she doesnt take benadryl or some kind of heart needle jabber thing, she will die within an hour or 30 minutes or something.. i was with her once when she had a reaction to peanuts, even though we didnt eat anything with peanuts in it, peanuts were just near the ice cream we ate.

also, some foods allergic reaction producing properties are gone once cooked, like carrots and a few other veggies..

sometimes it seems like some of this is in her head though.. her fear of a reaction causing one.. i dont know if thats possible but i think it could be...

BUT COME ON.. LETTUCE? WHO IS ALLERGIC TO LETTUCE?!? i dont get it.. some of the things shes told me seem nearly impossible to be allergic to (lettuce is the only one i can remember that stands out)

anyone know?
Old 04-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 26,837
That heart stabber thingy is probably an epi-pen. You might want to learn how to use it, with how many things she's allergic to, she's bound to slip up sooner or later and you may be the only one there. As for lettuce, clealy it's not ALL water or it would be, well, water. She's must be allergic to something else in it. I'd imagine, QtM will be in soon to explain all this much better.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:15 AM
Violet Violet is offline
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 3,231
Maybe it's the pesticides used on lettuce. I know someone allergic to additives in American wines. Possibly sulfites.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:32 AM
LJ2799 LJ2799 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Yes, it is possible. But more than likely she is allergic to the pollen where the lettuce is grown.

There has only been 14 cases of Lettuce Allergy such as your girlfriend. That is ever !!! Since the beginning of time, recorded time, written time, digital time only 14 people EVER.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:44 PM
PurpleClogs PurpleClogs is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
Posts: 840
Anaphylactic shock is no joke, and these reactions are not just in her head or caused by paranoia. It's deadly serious. Don't tease her, test her, or pressure her to try something that's the least bit questionable. It may be a PITA, but so is taking a forever nap in a cold casket.

Yes, it is possible to be allergic to anything, even water, even your own sweat. And you can be ok with something all your life and one day suddenly be allergic to it, at any age.

There's a protein in wheat my husband is now highly allergic to (not gluten) and he almost died on me a couple years ago. Got severe hives, took some Benedryl, got super thirsty, got up to get water and passed out 3 times in just minutes. When rescue responded his BP was 70/30. Luckily I was home, and awake, so I could call 911 or he would have died that night. Now he takes Epi-Pens everywhere and has a drastically restricted diet that he does not stray from no matter where we go, who he is with, or what the special occasion or holiday is.

There are many worse things she could be inconvenienced with. If you truly care about her, learn all you can about her allergies and practice a plan for how to use the epi's (they come with an empty test pen you can practice with) and discuss what you should do in an emergency because she might not be conscious and able to help or advise if it happens.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:40 PM
EdwinAmi EdwinAmi is offline
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 370
Yes, it is possible to be allergic to anything, even water, even your own sweat
not it isn't, unless you stretch the definition of "allergic". Allergies are immune over-responses to PROTEINS.
Some people are very SENSITIVE to certain things and react, but it's not an allergic reaction. Like some people and their skin with water. Those are much more rare though
Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 PM
troubledwater troubledwater is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 551
Lettuce is in the Asteraceae family. Don't be surprised if she is allergic to related things such as sunflowers, artichokes, or daisies.
Sounds like a very bad case of Oral Allergy Syndrome (which would explain why cooked foods are less problematic).
Old 07-17-2014, 08:36 PM
EmilyG EmilyG is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 7,965
I hope the OP's girlfriend is still alive after all these years. This thread was started in 2003.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to:

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to:

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017