1 Ounce Of Polar Bear Liver Contains Enough Vitamin A To Kill You.

From the website: dietician.com

“…Vitamin A that if taken internally can be toxic, even fatal at levels of 100,000 IU per day. In fact, 1 ounce of polar bear liver contains enough retinol vitamin A to kill you.

I just wanted to warn anyone going to the Pole to stay away from the chopped liver.

[Eve drops the Polar Bear Liver Burger she was about to bite into and backs slowly away]

I’m certain that this will be news to the Inuit.

Come to think of it, I don’t actually know of anyone who eats nanuq. Mind you, they eat everything else, so who knows?

From Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami:

I heard about this in an anthro class. Vitamin A poisoning is a nasty way to die.

Hmm…how odd this topic shoud arise. What fork do you use for polar bear liver?

I’m perfectly willing to be proven wrong, but if someone will, please:

post the scientific study that confirms this piece of scarelore. I call bullshit until someone posts the study. Don’t give me opinions. Give me facts.

Again, I won’t be surprised if it’s based in fact. But it’s a web factoid until you point me to the original study.

I’m curious how you would find the original study? I can find “official” sites like this that mention the fact, but not where they got it from. Isn’t it bad to eat seal liver as well for the same reason?

I know dog liver can poison you, but no idea where you could find the firm data on that either. Other then people dying from it. :smiley:

Gulo. Excellent example. You posted a site that appears to be credible but is merely a private web-site It presents facts which are from the “U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service.” But then, half way through, they post the polar bear factoid under the heading of Additional Facts from “Wild Mammals of North America”

So, who actually produced that study?

This site (complete with – ugh – music, so you might want the sound off), has some figures, but no indication of where they come from, either.

From this site on Accutane, is the following:

It may have come from a study, Vitamin A poisoning in adults, pubished in JAMA, 1954, by A Gerber, AP Raab , and AE Sobel.

samclem - just out of curiosity - honestly not trying to pick a fight - why do you care to “call bullshit” or insist on a cite? Were you planning to eat polar bear liver sometime soon?

He’s got a freezer full of the stuff, and his plans for a big weekend BBQ are in jeopardy, give him a break, he’s expecting 2 dozen guests tomorrow and dosen’t want to have to run out to the store in the morning. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.roystonclinic.com/cancerprevention.htm

I’ve read this in a coupole of books I have to - about the bears, anyway, not aboutthe husky dogs.

This site claims that the LD50 (the dose required to kill 50% of a population) for vitamin A is 2570 mg/Kg when it’s taken orally. Now all we need is data on percent by weight of vitamin A in polar bear liver. The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

Wait a sec…let’s see here. Say we have a 100 Kg person. That means they’d have to eat 25,700 mg, or 25.7 grams, of pure vitamin A to have a 50% chance of dying. There are 28.35 grams in an ounce. So that means that polar bear liver would have to be, hang on, 90.6% vitamin A by weight to have a 50% chance of killing a 100 kilogram person.

There you go.

No, you’re calculations only indicate that polar bear liver would have to be 90.6% Vitamin A for an ounce to kill a 100 kg person.

Or rather, have a 50% chance to kill a 100 kg person. :smack:

With regard to cites:[ul][]The New England Journal of Medicine[][University of Washington](eduserv.hscer.washington.edu/pharmacy/ medchem402/pdf/402_LN_Part3_01.pdf) (PDF file)[]Allegations that Roche failed to report serious side effects that occurred during Australian Roaccutane clinical trials (discusses vitamin A overdoses, makes reference to polar bear liver and provides a cite: “Middelkoop, T. (1999). Roaccutane (Isotretinoin) and the Risk of Suicide: Case Report and a Review of the Literature and Pharmacovigilance Reports. Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 12(5):374-378”[]Vitamin A – Betacarotene (excerpt from a book written by an M.D.)[Vitamin-A-Induced Headache](http://www.wfubmc.edu/neurology/newha/substanc.htm#Vitamin-A-Induced Headache)[/ul]I got dozens of pages of Google hits on polar bear liver “vitamin A” study.