An Ode to General Tso

Oh Great One,

I know not whether you ever actually existed as a commander of Chinese forces, but oh, how great you must have been. For you have inspired one of the most delicious and delectable delicacies this world has ever witnessed. How I yearn to taste the trademark flavors and embrace the MSG-laced juices that dribble seductively down my chin. How I cringe when I reach the end of the meal, and I have to wait in longing for our next rendez-vous.

May you rest in peace, wherever your mortal remains lie, Great One, knowing full well that your legacy has indeed been a glorious one.

mouth watering

I absolutely LOVE General Tso’o Chicken. By far my favorite food. Unfortuantely I’m low carbing and can’t have any :(.

My husband had never eaten The General before. I gave him a bite and he said “Mmmm. Is there meat somewhere in that fried candy coating?”

There was a General Tso, several centuries ago. A great, legendary military commander who somebody decided to honor by naming their delicious chicken dish after.

There was once a Goth/Chinese Restaurant that served “A Genereal Tso Wat” chicken. :smiley:

I mean "General Tso Wat".They also served Angst-Fried Rice and Wurld-So-Dum and I remember where I saw it, & here’s the link.

I think the best article about the origin of “General Tso’s Chicken” is on this page, http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A59302-2002Apr16?language=printer

The dish itself, has more modern origins, apparently. From the same page

Mmmmn, candied meat. (My wife and I have been using that as a term for a particular chinese dish for years now)

So, now I’m all tasted up for General Tso’s chicken…

AND THERE’S NOT A DECENT CHINESE RESTAURANT ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY! AAARGH! Curse island living, and curse you all too. I’ll go eat my mac and cheese and suffer alone.

Damn. Now I’m hungry! Curses…

wanders off in search of a take-out menu

One Chinese restaurant I used to frequent labeled this dish “Generic Chicken” on their buffet spread. It was yummy, though.

MMMMMmmmm Hot & Sour soup and General Tso’s Chicken… Not just for breakfast!

I can feel my arteries hardening already!

And I bet they got their recipes from the immortal cookbook:

“101 Ways to Wok Your Dog”

<ducks>:rolleyes: